Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold Membership Worthwhile?

Haven't played since around launch and decided to come back and try out the new Romulan expansion.  Game seems to have changed a lot but not sure if it's worth subbing to for the benefits.

Is the gold membership worth it?

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I really couldn't say. I haven't subbed in a long time. I am perfectly content playing with the F2P limitations. However, refer to this chart and compare what you get with gold membership compared to f2p.

The worst that can happen is you spend the money for one month, decide you don't think its worth it, and not pay for it anymore.

STO F2P Feature Matrix

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I will answer your question this way I bought a life-time subscription and when game went f2p I left upset. When the new expansion or Romulans came out I decided to give it another go. My main charcter was lost and to this day remains so it took me 2wks to get them to recognize I had a life-time sub. My charcter is still lost and I would say becareful of anything these folks put out.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I will add that I am not sure if you will have account issues as you said you haven't played since launch. When PWE acquired Cryptic, they went over to a mandatory PWE account log-in system after a bit, where your Cryptic log-in credentials would no longer work. You had to merge your Cryptic account with a newly created PWE account. People have expressed complications with this process, especially players that came back to play after the merger happened.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on that, but it is how I remember it happening.

In any case, I would first log in to your account as a F2P member, resolve any account issues that you may have if any, then play for a bit and then make the decision if it's worth subbing or not.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

I am perfectly content playing with the F2P limitations.

The worst that can happen is you spend the money for one month, decide you don't think its worth it, and not pay for it anymore.

These two lines sums it up. You can play perfectly without spending a dime all the way to the endgame. And if you drop in 1 month sub fee, after it expires you can keep the bigger inventory and bank so it's not even the worst thing... :)

But for keeping that subscription... I don't think so. If you like the game enough, it's better to buy a lifetime when it's on sale, for about 1 year's worth of subscription you'll be gold until forever or the game is closing (which one happens first).

+ you get every veteran reward (like if you'd be a subscriber continously since the game launched 3 years ago - which isn't a nice gesture towards those who were indeed 3years-long subscribers, but that's just PWE :) ), some of those veteran stuff are pretty decent.

If I were you I'd play for free a few weeks, maybe 1-2 months to see whether  I like it or not. There's a thread on sto forum about the next sale (obviously PWE won't announce it), posters there guessing somewhere around Season 8, maybe (Season 8 will be "late this year" according to the state-of-game letter).

But that's just a guess, it's also possible that there won't be any sales for a year. And it's also worth mentioning there are some occasional problems with gold / lifetime users (missing stipends, mostly.)

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    I have yet to find a single reason to drop a penny on this game. Unless you're one of those people who have to have the perfect uniform or ship, save your coins. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    In a nutshell, no.  Its not worth it, you can do everything f2p.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

With sticking to my opinion that sub is not really worth it, they have started a gold sub sale now, so if you want to check the (few) advantages, maybe it's a good timing for that.

They're selling the 3months sub for the price of 2  ($30 for 3 months instead of $45)

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75
    IMO no, STO is not worth spending the money on.  Save your money for other MMOs.
  • AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

Start as f2p player, level your first toon to 50 and then decide if you want to invest money into the game.

During the leveling phase you pretty much won't notice a difference and a lot of people struggle to find motivation to continue after hitting max level. By then you should also have a better idea about how things work these days and, should you decide to play on, if going Gold or just buying the items you want in the shop will suit your needs better. 

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

NO !

You ll need spend RL money  , same ,as pure F2P players !