Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The people on this forum are precisely what's wrong with this genre

The more "casual" players demand convenience and readily accessible features in their games, the more we get bullshit like Tera and Aion and SWTOR -- you know, the games people stop playing after a month.

Remember when games didn't display pop-up windows telling you where to go? Remember when death was aggravating yet exciting and was an adventure in itself? Remember when games actually felt like fantasy worlds?

MMOs of the last decade have provided the blandest, most sterile experiences because developers insist on listening to people who truly don't know what they want. So go ahead and oppose "encouraged" grouping and death penalties. That only ensures you'll never play a worthwhile MMO.

Comments

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by supertouchme

The more "casual" players demand convenience and readily accessible features in their games, the more we get bullshit like Tera and Aion and SWTOR -- you know, the games people stop playing after a month.

Remember when games didn't display pop-up windows telling you where to go? Remember when death was aggravating yet exciting and was an adventure in itself? Remember when games actually felt like fantasy worlds?

MMOs of the last decade have provided the blandest, most sterile experiences because developers insist on listening to people who truly don't know what they want. So go ahead and oppose "encouraged" grouping and death penalties. That only ensures you'll never play a worthwhile MMO.

Jaded cynical are the lost and the lonely here, they have been at various times conned , jilted and abused, its a refuge for those that if they had houses would scream "GET OF MAAA LAWN" even if their target was just a humble sparrow.

Nothing can give them their innocence back, only thing for them to look forward to is a possible epic sun solar storm that destroys all things electric, or maybe death.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Fairly certain that the people on this forum hate everything that isn't EQ1, UO, or EVE.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I don't remember .

• supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Alders
    Fairly certain that the people on this forum hate everything that isn't EQ1, UO, or EVE.

I'm working on a UO sequel. Donate to my kickstarter campaign.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

The more "casual" players ...

I don't understand.. are you saying it's "the more casual players" that are what's wrong with the genre or the people on this forum? Because, for the most part, the two are complete opposites.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

NOPE. We are just tired of being treated like an 8 yr old by game companys that "Hold you hand" thru everything!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Quite the opposite, I find that people like the OP are precisely what's wrong with this genre. "Casual" MMOs are simply those that have abandoned bad, outdated, or clunky mechanics in favor of more convenient, accessible ones. Difficulty should come from actual difficulty, not tedium and poor design. 
  • isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Haha I was about to go off and say this site is the last sane word on mmo's then he posts this. I am so confused.
  • supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Aeander
    Quite the opposite, I find that people like the OP are precisely what's wrong with this genre. "Casual" MMOs are simply those that have abandoned bad, outdated, or clunky mechanics in favor of more convenient, accessible ones. Difficulty should come from actual difficulty, not tedium and poor design. 

1. I'm not suggesting we go back to camping mobs for days at a time

2. Difficulty isn't exactly accessible so your argument doesn't make sense

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Fairly certain that the people on this forum hate everything

fixed your quote for you

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Be prepared, OP, You kinda made a pretty inflammatory opening statement before presenting your opinion. When you say something people don't like the very 1st thing some will do is formulate the most powerful counter to you they can, in the context that best suits their argument. then they will figure out how to twist words just enough to make it fit generally even though it's not really what you said.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

How's that nonexistent community working out for you.

Queueing up for your dungeon finder with random 15-year-olds I'm assuming.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

Yah, I miss vanilla WoW too!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Again who has ever opposed the idea of encouraged grouping? No one that I've seen and I'm here a lot. There's a difference between encouraged and forced, I figured that was obvious.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    You don't have to use the Quest Helper or Dungeon Finder.
    You don't have to take waypoints, teleports, or griffons.
    You can delete some of your gold when you die.

You can make an easy game hard with a little bit of an imagination
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

My feelings exactly!    Please stop living in the past.  

Originally posted by Waterlily

How's that nonexistent community working out for you.

Queueing up for your dungeon finder with random 15-year-olds I'm assuming.

A hell of a lot better than yours.  That is for sure.   You can't have a community without people, and everyone runs from your old style sandbox games in terror.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Umm...well, not to put too fine a point on it, but I played Aion for well over 6 months and only quit because of the pvp-griefer douchebags that couldn't be avoided in Heiron.  I played WoW all the way up until they decided it was time to put in a f2p-style cash shop.  I left TERA because they decided immediately after release to put in a cash shop.  SWTOR never interested me.  I expect to be playing FFXIV for a long time to come.

I guess what I'm saying is no, your entire premise seems flawed to me.  I don't remember any of these 'fun' things like searching forever for something vaguely hinted at in a character speech, the 'fun' of death being its own adventure, and I thought many worlds have felt just fine even with the additions (some additions more than others, of course).

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by issling
    Haha I was about to go off and say this site is the last sane word on mmo's then he posts this. I am so confused.

LOL...why would you ever think that? Haha

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm working on a UO sequel. Donate to my kickstarter campaign.

Isn't everyone?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Lissyl

Umm...well, not to put too fine a point on it, but I played Aion for well over 6 months and only quit because of the pvp-griefer douchebags that couldn't be avoided in Heiron.  I played WoW all the way up until they decided it was time to put in a f2p-style cash shop.  I left TERA because they decided immediately after release to put in a cash shop.  SWTOR never interested me.  I expect to be playing FFXIV for a long time to come.

I guess what I'm saying is no, your entire premise seems flawed to me.  I don't remember any of these 'fun' things like searching forever for something vaguely hinted at in a character speech, the 'fun' of death being its own adventure, and I thought many worlds have felt just fine even with the additions (some additions more than others, of course).

WoW has had that cash shop for a long long ass time.  That also seems like a dumb reason to stop playing.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378

Whats wrong with this genre is people like the OP who think their opinion is the end be all and others cant think different. And visa versa. 

Mind blowing I know, we all prefer different types of games.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

Originally posted by rockin_ufo

Whats wrong with this genre is people like the OP who think their opinion is the end be all and others cant think different. And visa versa. 

What i find most interesting is that even the old sandbox style games like EQ1 changed to be more appealing.  literally no one wants to play these grueling sandbox games anymore.  If they were really so good, and such popular ideas, then why are these games ghost towns?

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134

Just my opinion, but I think when big money moved in it changed the way games were developed. Instead of making games that are fun and immersive, they made games for mass consumption.

"The world is crazy, but it's happening in all arts. When art becomes business, it looses identity and it's main purpose." AlejandroGlez in an IGN posting.

Once again just my opinion, they do not care what we think about their products only if we will pay money to play them. They are funded by investors, not gamers.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69
    Originally posted by rockin_ufo

What i find most interesting is that even the old sandbox style games like EQ1 changed to be more appealing.  literally no one wants to play these grueling sandbox games anymore.  If they were really so good, and such popular ideas, then why are these games ghost towns?

Project 1999 is doing pretty well for itself, hell it'd be pretty popular if it was properly advertised probably. It's not that the genre is dead, it's just a niche market. Just how MMOs were a niche market back in 1999, if I didn't want to play Everquest then I won't want to now. It's not like Everquest wasn't known among active gamers back then. 

Could SoE remade EQ1? Sure. Doesn't mean any kind of success stems from it. Just like Vanguard fell on it's face (not saying it's a bad game). Outside of a historically terrible release, the game is pretty clean now. If the beloved EQ1 model is so popular why isn't that game exploding? ...So instead SoE is shooting for a whole new demographic within the AAA MMOs; Sandbox/Sandpark. I'm for one very interested. 

But the OP wants to rehash old ideas, not expanding on previous works of art. He would last 2 minutes in my classroom in college with his line of thinking; the best art is the one that expands on previous works. EQN is that (we all know features similiar to other games), but it's how they execute it will be the thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that in our genre, but our OP here thinks we should hold that back. He's what's wrong with the genre, hell even society as a whole.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

This discussion has been closed.