Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Witcher 2 isn't even an RPG, sad.

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Yes, that's right, I'm just now playing it.  Hey, my gaming plate is full.  I still have to get around to Farcry 3 and Dragon's Dogma.

But I chose to play this... action adventure game, that rabid fanboys for some reason insist is some tribute to the RPG genre.

No classes, small zones, quicktime events, scripted boss fights, hack and slash combat.  No exploration, no real ability to level outside of following the path the quests gives you.  All very planned out. 

I have 3 paradigms for the RPG.  There's Bethesdas with Fallout and Elder Scrolls, Bioware with ME and DA, and the JRPG, which is mostly dead, because newer FFs don't really follow it anymore. 

Honestly this game is a lot closer to God of War, and I don't think anyone would consider that an RPG.  In RPGs, you definitely never have to look up the steps to beat a boss.  Otherwise, what's the purpose of levels, gear, etc?

rant over.

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Want to explain how the witcher isnt an rpg?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    and why would you look up the steps to beat a boss in The Witcher? i never did and the game was an amazing experience. Yes some of the things you mentioned about the Witcher 2 are there, and they said they are fixing them in the Witcher 3. Still TW2 is one of the best RPGs to date. Its still an rpg, but it focused more on the story and less of more open mechanics, which are coming with TW3 anyways.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx
    Want to explain how the witcher isnt an rpg?

I think he already did..(in his opinion ofcourse). Did you not read the OP?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I have 3 paradigms for the RPG.  There's Bethesdas with Fallout and Elder Scrolls, Bioware with ME and DA, and the JRPG, which is mostly dead, because newer FFs don't really follow it anymore. 

ok so...

There's Bethesdas with Fallout and Elder Scrolls

Don't these games have "action  combat"? I seem to remember in Oblvion and Skyrim aiming my mouse and attacking,. Additionally, I believe Fallout has an action combat unless you use their "VATS" system (I think that's what it's called). Not sure what you mean by "scripted boss fights" but Killing aludin, Mancor Cameron or the end of Oblvion with Mehrunes Dagon or even "whatshisface" at the end of Morrowind (can't remember his name atm) all pretty much felt the same as they used the same skills and reacted the same way. WEll, except Mehrunes Dagon which was a scriped event.

Bioware with ME and DA

I don't recall any huge exploration in any of those games. The classes, at least in Dragon Age were pretty cut and dried.. Oh sure you could concentrate on the few skills available but eventually you would have every one of them. I never finished a Mass Effect game so can't comment except that I seem to remember it being much like a shooter.

Don't play JRPG's so can't comment.

Seems to me you are just cherry picking your complaints.

as far as "Classes" go in Witcher 2 you are aware that you can concentrate on specific disciplines. For me, I was mostly melee and had very little in the way of magic. Yet you could concentrate solely on magic and not invest a lot in melee. Or put a lot in your alchemy. Also, you are playing as a specfic character and flavoring him the way you want (um... you know what I mean) so it isn't a "hey I get to be a bard in the land of the witcher" type game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Yes, that's right, I'm just now playing it.  Hey, my gaming plate is full.  I still have to get around to Farcry 3 and Dragon's Dogma.

But I chose to play this... action adventure game, that rabid fanboys for some reason insist is some tribute to the RPG genre.

No classes, small zones, quicktime events, scripted boss fights, hack and slash combat.  No exploration, no real ability to level outside of following the path the quests gives you.  All very planned out. 

Honestly this game is a lot closer to God of War, and I don't think anyone would consider that an RPG.  In RPGs, you definitely never have to look up the steps to beat a boss.  Otherwise, what's the purpose of levels, gear, etc?

rant over.

So let me get this straight... Witcher 2 isn't an MMORPG because it doesn't have classes, has small zones, quicktime events, etc.

But you're also hailing Mass Effect as a paradigm of the RPG? A game with small zones, quicktime events, and scripted boss fights? You also include Elder Scrolls.. a game with no classes, scripted boss fights, and hack & slash combat. Then sum it up with older FF games, which mostly didn't have classes, had very scripted boss fights, and also had mostly small zones you traversed through.

This hypocrisy could be stretched to many other games listed in the RPG genre. Games like Parasite Eve, Xeno Gear, Star Ocean, Deus Ex, and on and on and on.

Explain how Witcher 2 is like God of War? A large part of Witcher 2 is exploring, both for lore and to find where various beasts are hidden. Heck a huge part of Witcher 2 is collecting books & notes on various monsters to find information on how to best kill them. It's not the games' fault you would rather look at a GameFAQ or Wiki then actually play the game.

Pretty much the only thing Witcher2 & God of War have in common are the quicktime events. A feature that most games have in some form now, because it makes the game feel more cinematic. This doesn't mean that every game with a quicktime event = God of War. Other than that, God of War is a purely combo-driven hack & slash with some puzzle elements thrown in. It's in the same sphere as games like Devil May Cry, Dante's Inferno, & Bayonetta. If you wanna lump Witcher 2 into that category, then you might as well throw in Elder Scrolls & a host of other non-conventienal RPGs.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    When I saw the title of the thread I knew something was wrong.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Sovrath

ok so...

There's Bethesdas with Fallout and Elder Scrolls

Don't these games have "action  combat"? I seem to remember in Oblvion and Skyrim aiming my mouse and attacking,. Additionally, I believe Fallout has an action combat unless you use their "VATS" system (I think that's what it's called). Not sure what you mean by "scripted boss fights" but Killing aludin, Mancor Cameron or the end of Oblvion with Mehrunes Dagon or even "whatshisface" at the end of Morrowind (can't remember his name atm) all pretty much felt the same as they used the same skills and reacted the same way. WEll, except Mehrunes Dagon which was a scriped event.

Bioware with ME and DA

I don't recall any huge exploration in any of those games. The classes, at least in Dragon Age were pretty cut and dried.. Oh sure you could concentrate on the few skills available but eventually you would have every one of them. I never finished a Mass Effect game so can't comment except that I seem to remember it being much like a shooter.

Don't play JRPG's so can't comment.

Seems to me you are just cherry picking your complaints.

as far as "Classes" go in Witcher 2 you are aware that you can concentrate on specific disciplines. For me, I was mostly melee and had very little in the way of magic. Yet you could concentrate solely on magic and not invest a lot in melee. Or put a lot in your alchemy. Also, you are playing as a specfic character and flavoring him the way you want (um... you know what I mean) so it isn't a "hey I get to be a bard in the land of the witcher" type game.

Mass Effect 1 was the most rpg out of the 3.  In the first one you could explore by going to random planets and search for artifacts and other things.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    You never really said what made the other games great RPG's. Some of them include the things you are complaining that the Witcher 2 has.
  • DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73
    Dumbest thread in history.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by DarkVergil
    Dumbest thread in history.

Well, it is Saturday night, frequently excessive alcohol consumption results in threads like these.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Yes, that's right, I'm just now playing it.  Hey, my gaming plate is full.  I still have to get around to Farcry 3 and Dragon's Dogma. But I chose to play this... action adventure game, that rabid fanboys for some reason insist is some tribute to the RPG genre. No classes, small zones, quicktime events, scripted boss fights, hack and slash combat.  No exploration, no real ability to level outside of following the path the quests gives you.  All very planned out.  I have 3 paradigms for the RPG.  There's Bethesdas with Fallout and Elder Scrolls, Bioware with ME and DA, and the JRPG, which is mostly dead, because newer FFs don't really follow it anymore.  Honestly this game is a lot closer to God of War, and I don't think anyone would consider that an RPG.  In RPGs, you definitely never have to look up the steps to beat a boss.  Otherwise, what's the purpose of levels, gear, etc? rant over.

ME rpg?...that will be the day lol Thers cinematic action based games and DA:O was good rpg DAII was terible simplistic rediculous fast pace action based hack and slash game.

And you have to learn what RPG is again my friend becouse even tho its not a Elder scrolls game its a GOOD RPG.

FF games as i remember are Turnbased rpg's which are even worse then your mentioned scripted boss fights, i would not in million years touch those anime asian rpg's there awefull hehe.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by rojo6934
    and why would you look up the steps to beat a boss in The Witcher? i never did and the game was an amazing experience. Yes some of the things you mentioned about the Witcher 2 are there, and they said they are fixing them in the Witcher 3. Still TW2 is one of the best RPGs to date. Its still an rpg, but it focused more on the story and less of more open mechanics, which are coming with TW3 anyways.

Open world but they still will be heavy on story also at least alot more as i understand then skyrim according to CDPROJECT.

The Witcher 3 with info i have so far will be superb RPG and maybe even beat Skyrim or Morrowind(in my humble opinion one best ever ive played).

But mods as with elderscrolls will for me the final verdict if game is best or not thats why i love PC GAMING and mod community ELDER SCROLLS is my favorite becouse of TEN'S of thousends of mods on nexus for free to enhanced my game experience.

You would not reconize my skyrim today with vanilla game there 2 totally different games.

ENB and immersive are 2 ingredi

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

This discussion has been closed.