Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exclusive DnL videos now posted!

Comments

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

WARNING: CONSTRUCTIVE POST BELOW

Here's my honest review of those videos. The good and the bad.

First off, if you'll notice, the graphics are different in the various videos. They are taken by -different- people, so not everyone has the same settings.

As for the combat. It looked a bit bland. I'm guessing the characters were all low level characters though, because they didn't have very many skills on the bar at the bottom. I guess this isn't as big a deal for me either since I come from Asheron's Call and Everquest... in AC you had the same casting/fighting animation all the time, and in EQ I never had the casting animations turned on.

As for general animations, the people looked a lot better IMO. The movement seemed to have been smoothed out (on the people). As far as the creature movement went, they need some work. Not all of them, but for instance YES, the golems looked like crap. Well, not crap completely. When they could manage to walk in a straight line, the animation was nice. But, they kept jerking around and glitching weird. So, given that the game still has 4-ish months until release, I'm hoping that that will be fixed.

The same goes for the tiny 'lip' problems I noticed. Characters had to jump over the smallest of 'bump' in the terrain, such as a ramp or small curb-like area.

Now, those are very minor things. People act like these are the end of the world. The game is in beta for a reason. Don't like it? FINE! Play it after release.. if you don't like it then, don't play it.

Now I'll go on to the graphics... I don't know why people are complaining. The graphics on the character models looked nice, and the terrain was of course as great as it always had been. If people are disappointed because they were expecting to see perfect graphics miles into the distance, then they're going to be disappointed with ANY game on the market. No game can do that perfectly, and DnL has at least managed to do something others havn't. For you WoW lovers for instance, why do you think there is a haze in the distance at all places?

The spell graphics still looked nice, though there are only a few at the moment. I believe they stated a while back that not all of the graphics were being used at the moment to save a bit on any lag that people might get. They did the same with the character models before (when they only had like 2 or PC models.. obviously they have the rest in now)

I'm not going to base my full opinion of the game off of an unfinished and unreleased product just yet. Granted, I have been disappointed with several decisions by the developers lately.. but hey, I didn't preorder, and I got my free key so it's not like I'm wasting any money on it. The only way it will be a failure in my eyes is if I log in and I just get bored. It better have quests out the whazoo, and enough things to keep me occupied with to keep the 'fun factor' up. That's all that should really matter in games. Is it fun to play, or do you just want to log off and never get back on it again?

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Originally posted by Sheista
    Now, those are very minor things. People act like these are the end of the world. The game is in beta for a reason. Don't like it? FINE! Play it after release.. if you don't like it then, don't play it.

Ya, but this is the currentstate of the game, a game that was supposed to be released in April. If this game makes its current Q1-Q2 2006 date, ill be very surprised.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

double post apologies

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Orcc

Ya, but this is the currentstate of the game, a game that was supposed to be released in April. If this game makes its current Q1-Q2 2006 date, ill be very surprised.

it was supposed to release summer 2003 originally

The game has been in beta (almost 3 years now) longer than most games are in development. Do you really think it will improve that much in 4  1/2 months ?

I miss DAoC

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Jackdog
    it was supposed to release summer 2003 originally

Actually it was orginally schedulded for release in December of 2002.  The Devs stuck to this release date and the fanboys were convinced.  It was not until late November 2002 that they finally admitted the game would not release in 2002.

Maybe this time my reply will actually go through. Stupid net...

If it was delayed, it was delayed because it needed to be. Again, this is -not- a large company. Why do you think they had to get Snailgames to help them out? Want a game with a huge budget and JUST AS MANY broken promises and screw-ups? Go play WoW, or go play any SOE game.

For like the fifty-billionth time, I'll say it again. Go play another game if you're so anti-DnL. Go play your WoW, Guild Wars, or EQ2. Instead of repeating yourselves with the same thing over and over, just stay quiet and wait for the game to fail if that's what you think will happen. I wish VN had more activity in their DnL board, because I'd be posting there as opposed to here if they did.

All you're doing is trolling now.. again, what happened to the Jackdog from when I first started posting here? That Jackdog posted from both good and bad angles, instead of just the bad. That Jackdog seemed genuinely interested in TALKING ABOUT GAMES, instead of picking out every single thing wrong with them.

Originally posted by Rigamortis
    Maybe this time my reply will actually go through. Stupid net...
    If it was delayed, it was delayed because it needed to be. Again, this is -not- a large company. Why do you think they had to get Snailgames to help them out? Want a game with a huge budget and JUST AS MANY broken promises and screw-ups? Go play WoW, or go play any SOE game.
    For like the fifty-billionth time, I'll say it again. Go play another game if you're so anti-DnL. Go play your WoW, Guild Wars, or EQ2. Instead of repeating yourselves with the same thing over and over, just stay quiet and wait for the game to fail if that's what you think will happen. I wish VN had more activity in their DnL board, because I'd be posting there as opposed to here if they did.
    All you're doing is trolling now.. again, what happened to the Jackdog from when I first started posting here? That Jackdog posted from both good and bad angles, instead of just the bad. That Jackdog seemed genuinely interested in TALKING ABOUT GAMES, instead of picking out every single thing wrong with them.Translation: Fanboi

I'd rather be a 'fanboi' than contribute absolutely NOTHING to the discussion of a game. God forbid I enjoy talking about the pros and cons of a game (like I did in my large post), without being immediately shot down with nothing but negatives.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I'd rather be a 'fanboi' than contribute absolutely NOTHING to the discussion of a game. God forbid I enjoy talking about the pros and cons of a game (like I did in my large post), without being immediately shot down with nothing but negatives.

The problem with fanboys is for the most part they don't contribute anything to the discussion.  Rather all they do is personally attack anyone that questions their game.  The realists and critcis of the game are the only ones here making any arguments of substance.  The fanboys just rely on blind faith.  When they see they have nothing to argue they tell people they are not fans and to leave.  What the fanboys don't realize is most of us realists have been fans of DnL for 3-4 years and are still fans of the game now.  Which I would bet is much longer than most of the fanboys.  We do not want to see the game turn out bad rather I think we all would like to be wrong and see a quality game made. 

If your looking for yes men you might want to try the DnL forums.  The mods there censure and cleanse the posts so you will not have to deal with any realistic view of DnL.  This board here is a refreshing change from the official borads as there is actual discssion rather than a bunch of lemmings rushing to the sea.

I would bet that all of the realists here are quite excited about SOG even if we have low expectations about the quality we will see.  All that being said I wish you the best.

• Originally posted by Sheista
    All you're doing is trolling now.. again, what happened to the Jackdog from when I first started posting here? That Jackdog posted from both good and bad angles, instead of just the bad. That Jackdog seemed genuinely interested in TALKING ABOUT GAMES, instead of picking out every single thing wrong with them.

After all of the lies, 3 years of delays/amateur skill trees(spell names such as Disease Inside) and finally showing how horrible the game animations are, im sure Jackdog no longer has anything positive to post bout this game(who would besides Alchemic Dream?). The mans opinion has changed, just as the majority of DnL's followers will once they witness the game.

Birdseeds ?Wow, pretty good rant there :) You must have got a beta account LOL. 

Anyway my big turnaround was last spring when I started to find out how unethical and what depths NP3/AD would stoop to. Nothing I have solid proof on so I cannot post it. However there was plenty enough circumstantial stuff to convince me they cannot be trusted. Oh well they have painted themselves into this corner, lets see how they try and weasel out now.

Oh and NP3/AD  people who read this just remember the old saying "what goes around, comes around" I am sure you know what I am referring toimage, just think about it

I miss DAoC

• YoukaYouka Member Posts: 1

You really hate this game dont you .... Strangely enough you are on every page of this games forum complaing about it... what did they do to you, it really seems like you have personal problems with them...Sure its been delayed a couple of times but did your world go under or something...Couse i think you spend alot of time just complaing about something that isnt worth it...

Please explain it to me couse i really cant figure it out :)

Some nice movies and some bad guess we all get the awnser when/if the game comes out

Cheers my first post on mmorpg.com

• blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045

I will not judge a thing until after I play the retail product for at least a month.... until then I will be positive and enjoy the anticipation just as I have been doing image

I'm a calm person by nature, and I am slow to jump ship or change my mind. Eventually all will be revieled, and the speculation seen for what it is.

I will not discourage a small Dev team from developing a game even if they are inexperienced. I see that as counter-productive to any future developments in new game design.

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112

As with every thing its up yo every one to decide for them self. I never said the game was good or bad i have my opion and i will stick to it.

I just luc watching uninformed people like jack dog (note not you inferno) make rash deasion based off others opioins.

That screams sheep to me and i dont thing Jack is a sheep.

I quess what im tring to say is by no means is sog the finished product its a taste and if you dont like the taste you probley wont like the 3 course meal

Annubis you lost me on the last post somehow/ First you claim that anyone who makes decisions off of others opinions is aq sheep and then say that you do not think I am one?

<wayofftopic>

Anyway I made my decisons off a several factors. I am not a not a beta tester, but a long time fan of the game with over 2k posts over a two and a half year period over on the official site with zero warning by AD on any of my threads or posts.

Early this year I suspected AD/NP3 was doing some things that struck me as fairly suspicious in nature. Then I asked a co worker who was going to be at E3 give the game a really good look. A month otr so later I located a friend of a friend who was in beta and saw for myself what a pile it was. I was lucky in my timing because a week or so later the girl gave up on it amd took it off her drive.

</wayoftopic>

Back to the original thread subject. Look at the videos, add in the so called skilltree, think about the actions of AD/NP3 the last few weeks and how they cannot even seem toget their webserver straight or their web site together. Make your own decision.

I miss DAoC

• hypersanhypersan Member Posts: 63

Well said, at the end of the day some of us actually want the game to do well and be what we dreamed about.

I have seen the movies yeah, the could be better. To be honest they were a big improvement over the E3 movies. I think they need a creative style that is more in keeping with the expectations of todays crowd however. Bet they look technically ok. The speed of the combat could be adjusted as well it seems somewhat slow paced, but I assume the guys in beta would have already said these things.

In the end if the produce the game we dont want we wont play it. If they produce the game we want we will play it for a much longer time.

The skill trees sound as if someon with a highschool knowledge of english translated it. But its nothing worse than the skills I haev had to read on some asian MMORPG's with bad translation. But maybe some people expectations were a bit high.

• Maca0716Maca0716 Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Jackdog
    Annubis you lost me on the last post somehow/ First you claim that anyone who makes decisions off of others opinions is aq sheep and then say that you do not think I am one?
    <wayofftopic>
    Anyway I made my decisons off a several factors. I am not a not a beta tester, but a long time fan of the game with over 2k posts over a two and a half year period over on the official site with zero warning by AD on any of my threads or posts.
    Early this year I suspected AD/NP3 was doing some things that struck me as fairly suspicious in nature. Then I asked a co worker who was going to be at E3 give the game a really good look. A month otr so later I located a friend of a friend who was in beta and saw for myself what a pile it was. I was lucky in my timing because a week or so later the girl gave up on it amd took it off her drive.
    </wayoftopic>
    Back to the original thread subject. Look at the videos, add in the so called skilltree, think about the actions of AD/NP3 the last few weeks and how they cannot even seem toget their webserver straight or their web site together. Make your own decision.

So you located a friend of a friend eh? sounds like complete BS to me.

My friend in beta lives next door and i go round every day and play for a few hours.

Guess you must have been looking at a completely different game to me because this game is awsome.

• PanerdarPanerdar Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Axem
    Our friends at [http://www.heian.cn] SnailGames the asian DnL publisher have allowed us to post some new videos from the beta test. Please come check them out at http://www.ebonlore.org/movies/index.php

So since most those videos show Ewle as the character, Ewle is in the Chinese beta test?

• tsr56tsr56 Member Posts: 98

"Guess you must have been looking at a completely different game to me because this game is awsome."

If it's so awesome why are they charging people $60 before letting them see what they paid for? They should be very proud of their awesome game.

If it's so awesome why is there even an NDA?  World of warcraft knew everyone would think their game was awesome so they got rid of their NDA.. and please don't feed anyone any bullshit about protecting ideas because theres absolutely nothing in DnL to protect.

At the end of the day commen sense tells anyone this game is a walking corpse. No need to be in or see any kind of beta to conclude that.

• clinteastclinteast Member UncommonPosts: 159

Any chance we can keep to the topic which i believe is the videos and comments about them not the same old the game was delayed blah blah...

I mid way through viewing the videos and mixture of good and bad like most.

Good

The weather looks good especially the start video with snow i thought that was impressive.
    The music added a nice feel to the game.
    The spells seemed clean and crisp, although there was not a lot of spells.
    The character models seemed quite good in my opinion.
    The transport as in the gliding/snowboard video etc was quite impressive.

Bad

The combat did seem slow. Not a bad thing as such but could be considered as negative i prefer a faster pace personally.
    The housing on one of the videos the start one seemed blocky.
    Some of the videos seemed to have crappier grphics than others not sure if this was down to personal pc specs or what.
    The footsteps was a tad annoying although nice to have realism but lets hope u can turn that noise off.

Overall from a neutral point of view I was impressed with what i saw. Question though? The videos are off DNL beta not SOG. So are people assuming come 12/12/5 (Assuming us pioneers get in and not delayed ::::08::) that is an idea of what we will see?

Like some people have said already I will judge for myself when i play but i will also bare/bear in mind that what i will be playing is SOG and not DNL.

Anyway each person is entitled to their own opinion about the videos good or bad.

Originally posted by tsr56
    "Guess you must have been looking at a completely different game to me because this game is awsome."
    If it's so awesome why are they charging people $60 before letting them see what they paid for? They should be very proud of their awesome game.
    If it's so awesome why is there even an NDA? World of warcraft knew everyone would think their game was awesome so they got rid of their NDA.. and please don't feed anyone any bullshit about protecting ideas because theres absolutely nothing in DnL to protect.
    At the end of the day commen sense tells anyone this game is a walking corpse. No need to be in or see any kind of beta to conclude that.

Why are they charging $60? because they have a community of people who are willing to pay because they believe the game is good.

Also for starters you didn't have to pay they had a reasonable 10k FREE KEYS yes FREE!!! if you didn't get one stop being so jaded and twisted you lost out tough luck.

At the end of the day $60 is nothing to people who work that is like a night out on the town for me.

IVE bought CONSOLE/PC games that i haven't read reviews about for that amount of money why are you moaning about the cost? that was an OPTION they gave plenty of free keys out.

Ive seen/played this game enough to know this is a good game YES there is problems but they aren't game breaking problems.

Admit it you didn't get a key and are plain jealous thats where most of these hate posts come from.

Also you people who say the graphics look crap these are videos made by players who have a SUBPAR computer.

Look at the screens they don't even resemble them videos you can tell by screenshots the graphics are some of the best yet.

Tell you what il post screens tomorrow from my computer which is a top of the line computer.

• tsr56tsr56 Member Posts: 98

"Admit it you didn't get a key and are plain jealous thats where most of these hate posts come from"

if you were to give me a key right now I would tell you to stick it so far up your ass that it comes out your mouth. I didn't even make an attempt at getting anything.  ;]

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

oh yeah, of corse you would ::::28::

you wouldnt waste your time playing this game would you? nah, but you will wast your hours trolling the forum about it?

give me a break you haters are so transparent

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Its probably more fun than playing SoG.

Originally posted by fulmanfu
    oh yeah, of corse you would ::::28::you wouldnt waste your time playing this game would you? nah, but you will wast your hours trolling the forum about it?give me a break you haters are so transparent

QFT i don't get people who troll boards of games they don't like or know nothing of and bashing the game to hell its quite sad.

Do i go around trolling EQ2 boards or any game i don't like and bashing that game? nope whats the point? you damn trolls need to grow up.

• stone-seraphstone-seraph Member Posts: 376

trolling is sad
    trolling about a game you haven't played is even more sad

wait till it comes out, if it sucks as bad as you say it does, the game will do the trolling for you.

Make of it what you will.