Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just another reason I'll be getting a PS4, not an Xbox One

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/xbox-one-xbox-live-gold/#comments

Microsoft just doesn't get it. Forcing core features into a Gold Subscription when people are already paying subscriptions for Netflix, etc is ludicrious. Also, you have to pay for Gold just to use Skype or the Internet? Really? lol

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by keithian

Microsoft just doesn't get it. Forcing core features into a Gold Subscription when people are already paying subscriptions for Netflix, etc is ludicrious. Also, you have to pay for Gold just to use Skype or the Internet? Really? lol

You will have to do the same on the new playstation if you want the online features. How was it called ... PSN Plus? :) 

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

This will be the main reason I will wait to see how the both EQN and ESO look and go before I commite any time or money. I do not like the looks of online console games or the extra fees to play them. In most cases the game dev's can do either PC or Console not both. I will save my time and money for PC only for now.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

You will have to do the same on the new playstation if you want the online features. How was it called ... PSN Plus? :) 

As the article stated, "Microsoft's Xbox One won't allow users without Xbox Live Gold subscriptions to access its Game DVR, touted as one of the game console's most important features." In addition, I believe on the PS4 you won't need a PSN plus to access things like Netflix or Skype, only for online gaming. Microsoft is forcing you to double pay basically.  Am I wrong?

There Is Always Hope!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

No I dont need PSN+ to use netflix and stuff or play Dust 514 and DC Universe.

• SosaBabySosaBaby Member Posts: 33
    for free to play games you dont need psn plus, and you dont need it for anything but playing Games online that are not F2P

Bang Bang 3hun oBLA!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

As the article stated, "Microsoft's Xbox One won't allow users without Xbox Live Gold subscriptions to access its Game DVR, touted as one of the game console's most important features." In addition, I believe on the PS4 you won't need a PSN plus to access things like Netflix or Skype, only for online gaming. Microsoft is forcing you to double pay basically.  Am I wrong?

Only online gaming that uses playstation servers like CoD or Killzone and such.  Games like dust 514 or dc universe dont require PSN+ because they are their own servers and only require you to have internet connection.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by tkreep

Only online gaming that uses playstation servers like CoD or Killzone and such.  Games like dust 514 or dc universe dont require PSN+ because they are their own servers and only require you to have internet connection.

thanks. Just another reason not to get an xbox...not so much because it is so much money, just the principle of the way they penny pinch.

There Is Always Hope!

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Xbox was never an option even with current gen I am very happy with my PS3 I have the very first version and still works without any issues at all.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

The only thing I'm disappointed in is that Microsoft/xbox one has Twitch.tv, which is far Superior to the option PS4 offers.

I guess PS4 could always be a game changer on that part though.

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126
    If I had to choose, I'd also go PS4 over Xbox One. So much of Microsoft's strategy is greedy and entitled, I'll go with the competition more often than not. ;)
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

XBOX ONE   VS     PLAY STATION 4

Feature

PlayStation 4

Xbox One

Winner

Remark

Price

$399.99 

$499.99 

Play Station 4

$ 100 difference in price is 20 % of the price of XBOX One which is quite much,given that PS4 have slightly better CPU,RAM etc.  However, XBOX one comes with Kinect and for PS4 one need to buy Playstation Camera($59).But again PS4 gives you more option if you want to buy PS4 Camera or not.

Optical Drive

Blu-ray/DVD 

Blu-ray/DVD 

Tie

Game DVR

Yes 

Yes 

Tie

RAM

8GB GDDR5

8GB DDR3 

Play Station 4

GDDR5 Is better than DDR3

CPU

Single-chip x86 AMD "Jaguar" processor, 8 cores 

8-core AMD CPU

Play Station 4

PS4 CPU is slightly better

Storage

500 GB Hard Drive 

500 GB Hard Drive 

Tie

Cloud Storage

Yes 

Yes 

Tie

Required Internet Connection

No 

Yes 

Play Station 4

For casual gamers this is a must.It doens't make sense to connect to internet everyday(24 Hours) to play games.For Xbox One user have to connect to interent once every 24 hours else Console wont work..This is Inline with the fact that Xbox One is a Unit with combined Gaming, Internet & TV together.On the other hand,PS4 can be played Offline without any need to connect it to Internet.So if you want to go to some Cabin in moutains and play games with out any internet,PS4 should be your choice.

Used Game Fee

No 

Yes 

Play Station 4

PS4 is letting  you play used games from your friends,allowing you to sell your games on ebay etc as well as buy used games from online .XBOX One would link your ID with the game and only you can play the game.If your friend want borrow your game then he have to pay money almost same as the new game.Here clearly PS4 wins.Shame on Microsoft for being greedy.

Backwards Compatibility

None 

None

Play Station 4

Both are not backward compatible due to basic architecture of the consoles.However, Sony confirmed that PS4 will allow users to play some famous PS3 titles via cloud service starting in Q1 2014.

Motion Control

DualShock 4, PlayStation 4 Eye(not included), PlayStation Move(not included)

Kinect 2

Xbox One

Here Kinect is slighlty better as "You are the controller".But it depends on the games avalable in future for Kinect only.Till now Kinect only have Fitness games,Dance theme games & some sports games.Much Awaited " Ryse " for Kinect will be coming in 2014 but wont be Kinect exclusive as published before.

Subscription Service

PlayStation Plus 

Xbox Live 

Tie

For PS3, user could use the multiplayer/online service for free. For PS4 user have to buy Playstation Plus subcription which is around $5 per month.Almost Same price is for Xbox Live gold membership for Xbox 360.

USB

USB 3.0 

USB 3.0 

Tie

Region Locked

No

Yes 

Play Station 4

So now you can play any game bought at any location.Order any game from Play Asia without worrying about the Region.

So as you can see, PS4 Comes as a clear Winner. You get All the hardware in $ 100 less price and also option that you can Eye & move controller for PS4.

Microsoft have just announced that They are removing the restriction of  Connecting to Internet in every 24 Hours to Play Games. Also now you can rent,sell your games and use them without any internet connection same as PS4. This came as a big news for all the Xbox fans and members of Xbox live community as they were feeling alienated after Microsoft announcement in E3 regarding DRM restrictions.

As per Microsoft website "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

So now , Xbox One user can rent,sell games and would only require internet connectivity while setting up their console for first time.Later on they can play single player games without any internet connection however for Multiplayer you do require Internet connection(You Don't say )

But Still,  PS4 still seems like a better option as $ 100 less price for a little better console as far as hardware is considered.Also you are not forced to buy a motion controller which is still a requirement for XBOX one.However this new move by Microsoft shows how much pressure is on them to come out as a winner because PS4 surely wooed the gamers in E3 with their attractive pricing and no DRM restriction. 
    PS : Prebooking of PS4 is sold out on Amazon as of now

The PS4 uses GDDR5 RAM while the Xbox One uses faster, but lower-bandwidth, DDR3 memory. The video and processor specs also appear to be remarkably alike, with chips manufactured by AMD. Neither Intel or nVidia got a chance to integrate their tech into the next-gen consoles—something I almost regret, if only because it would give us more to compare and contrast between the two systems.

Sony’s PS4 peak shader throughput clocks in at 1.84 TFLOPS vs. Xbox One’s 1.23 TFLOPS. The PS4′s memory bandwidth is a hefty 176.0 GB/s vs the One’s 68.3 GB/s. And the PlayStation 4 has the higher GPU core count as well, with 1152 vs Xbox One’s 768.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

bottom line MS wants to charge to access the internet - something most are paying for already (and that's on top of paying a premium for the actual overpriced box)

it seems that MS thinks that people are going to buy an xbox one to connect to a B&W t.v. purchased in 1963

seriously - anyone that has a fairly recent TV, a dvd player or a satellite dvr receiver, tablet, pc........

can access for free (beyond initial subs etc) all these extra services that MS wants to charge you for

and there are actual defenders of this - the most amazing thing

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Still not seeing how its a winner. With the Xbox One you are getting a $400 Kinect that going to be in every system. This is why developers are already thinking of ways to use it. See the Dead Rising and Killer Instinct Video to hear this from the developers themselves.

The Playstation Eye will be the same as it was the the PS3. It will be something that nobody will buy so no developers are going to make anything for it. Why would I make a multi million dollor game for something that maybe only 10% of PS4 owners will have? Xbox is clearly the better system and I have posted links to prove it. LOL, Microsoft did the 180 over a month ago. Where you been?

Originally posted by gatheris

bottom line MS wants to charge to access the internet - something most are paying for already (and that's on top of paying a premium for the actual overpriced box)

it seems that MS thinks that people are going to buy an xbox one to connect to a B&W t.v. purchased in 1963

seriously - anyone that has a fairly recent TV, a dvd player or a satellite dvr receiver, tablet, pc........

can access for free (beyond initial subs etc) all these extra services that MS wants to charge you for

and there are actual defenders of this - the most amazing thing

You pay for Xbox Live and you get everything they system has to offer. This is the exact same way it was on the Xbox 360. I don't agree with not being able to access stuff like Netflix with out Live. That's the only thing I really don't like about Xbox.

We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all," said Microsoft's Phil Harrison.

But would Microsoft be willing to help the government snoop? We set out to answer that question.

Last week, a report in The Guardian alleged that Microsoft gave government agencies access to private Skype video and audio calls, perhaps even going so far as to integrate Skype into the NSA's controversial PRISM surveillance system.

always on, the eye looking at you.

ever read george orwell?

or see the cult classic Brazil,  both stories about big brother.

something about having an item connected to the internet, always at standby, with a lens on you, and listening for voice input makes me uneasy.

and coming from a guy who used to hack his friends computers and take over them while they were using them and vice versa for fun , it really makes me uneasy.

a must read:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4526770/will-the-nsa-use-the-xbox-one-to-spy-on-your-family

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by gatheris bottom line MS wants to charge to access the internet - something most are paying for already (and that's on top of paying a premium for the actual overpriced box) it seems that MS thinks that people are going to buy an xbox one to connect to a B&W t.v. purchased in 1963 seriously - anyone that has a fairly recent TV, a dvd player or a satellite dvr receiver, tablet, pc........ can access for free (beyond initial subs etc) all these extra services that MS wants to charge you for and there are actual defenders of this - the most amazing thing  

You pay for Xbox Live and you get everything they system has to offer. This is the exact same way it was on the Xbox 360. I don't agree with not being able to access stuff like Netflix with out Live. That's the only thing I really don't like about Xbox.

It's all relative. What a person gets from the Xbox is only good or bad in comparison to what you can get from the competition. The PS4 offers fewer restrictions for less money. It isn't major things, but it's these little details that are going to give the PS4 the edge.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134
    Oh the irony, how many console gamers do you think would say an mmorpg charging a sub is fail...
    Originally posted by Demalis
    Oh the irony, how many console gamers do you think would say an mmorpg charging a sub is fail...

1. this post make little sense.

2. most console  gamers have a PC

3 most PGgamers also have a console, especially nowdays, as its noy justt games that  consoles deliver on.

4 most console gamers pay a premium allready for new games, whereas the PC community crys for free to play.

now thats irony.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by gatheris bottom line MS wants to charge to access the internet - something most are paying for already (and that's on top of paying a premium for the actual overpriced box) it seems that MS thinks that people are going to buy an xbox one to connect to a B&W t.v. purchased in 1963 seriously - anyone that has a fairly recent TV, a dvd player or a satellite dvr receiver, tablet, pc........ can access for free (beyond initial subs etc) all these extra services that MS wants to charge you for and there are actual defenders of this - the most amazing thing  

It's all relative. What a person gets from the Xbox is only good or bad in comparison to what you can get from the competition. The PS4 offers fewer restrictions for less money. It isn't major things, but it's these little details that are going to give the PS4 the edge.

I think bigger things like I posted are way more important then being able to watch Netflix with out subbing to PSN Plus. People buy a gaming system to get the best possible gaming experience.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Mannish, you remind me of Zorndorf.
  • calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Earlier this year I got rid of my 360, I have been a loyal microsoft console user since the first itiration of the xbox, while I had a ps2 and ps3 the 360 was my favourite.

Microsoft lately seems to think it knows what is best for me and sorry they don't, there xbox one reveal was full of stuff I as a gamer had no interest in, the day after that aired I sold my 360 and focused on my ps3.

You may say they backtracked on drm etc but it should never have happened in the first place, I have no need of kinect in my living room. 

They made the same mistake with windows 8 thinking they knew best.

If i want a smart tv wow I have a smart tv, I also have a sky hd box which has its own system. I buy a console to play games and to me sony although not perfect has learnt to listen to its gamers.

I do not care if one console has better cloud facility or 10% faster memory hell even if the xbox one had 50% better hardware I would still get a ps4 because Sony has learnt to listen to indie and gamers NOT like microsoft making bad decisions and then having to backtrack.

Sony reveal was all about gamers Microsoft reveal was all about facebooknflskypesmarttv.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    Xbox was never an option even with current gen I am very happy with my PS3 I have the very first version and still works without any issues at all.

Same here.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SynthanSynthan Member Posts: 4
    I'm still going with the Xbox One, I've always have been with Xbox. Don't wanna stop now :)
  • zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Another reason to avoid the Xbox,   Kinect will be spying on you, targeting ads based on your actions or the amount of people in the room.