Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class restrictions based on lore?? Why did you pick that??

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by Bonez005

I took it in a very general sense, and I voted in a way thinking that if small races wanted to have warrior builds, allow them, but they should do less damage with the warriors weapon sets due to lacking the physical build/strength of the larger races. I'm all for freedom of choice, but I'm also all about consequences for being silly and/or unique. That being said, if a game supports a DEX based warrior that is a bit less "loud" and destructive, I say let the smaller races partake but make their animations and moves fitting to a more precise and fluid fighting style. In another topic (same concept) If a player wants his weapon slot to look like he is holding a broom or a fish (Yes, some games allow this) he/she should do less damage than the guy who appears to be holding a sword. I don't expect everyone to share my feelings on this, but you asked, and thats why! Cheers.

Or just have smaller dex races hit more and larger races with str hit harder.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by will_wolf_rider

You do understand that you might be limiting your ability pool right?

Let's say humans can only play 5 classes..

Warrior: 1 movement 2 defence 1 utility (just a guess)

Blademaster: 1 movement 1 offence 1 defence 1 utility

Rogue: 2 offence 2 utility

Wizard: 2 movement 1 offence 1 defence

Tempest: 2 movement 1 offence 1 utility

Total abilities pool: 6 Movement, 5 Offence, 4 Defence, 5 Utility (..now that I've added it all up, it does seem kinda balanced..)

Anywho..

I'm getting a feeling that most of the people who voted for class restrictions are people who prefer to PVE. Like, you want to have that special ability that no other class has and it gives you a sense of purpose in the group/raid. 

I'm more of a PVPer and would like to be as versitile as possible. If they do end up restricting classes based on lore, as long as they add an option where I can pay extra money to make my own class, I'll be fine :P

Its a lore/immersion thing.

One of the trickiest things for a dev to do is balance immersion vs convenience.  Trion, for example, is all about convenience and doesn't care much about its lore.  I prefer a big focus on lore and the game world.

This.

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222
    I'd  love to see how many of the lore = class restriction people read all the quest flavor text.
  • quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Suraknar

I don't know.

To me having limits moves the game more towards a Themepark than a Sandbox.

In the real world, no matter where you live no matter where you come from you have the possibility to follow any profession. There no country that is innately incapable of producing a Bread maker or an Astrophycisist or a Game maker.

So this argument about immersion, and limits is really relative for me and immersion works both ways.

To me the world is more immersive if it reflects the dynamics of the reality of the real world I live in but within its fantasy setting.

Who is to say that an orphan Dark Elf was not raised by Humans and trained as A Paladin?

If you want you could have the game inform the player that such a combination is not traditional for the Dark Elves, and hey, the AI is new right? Why not have the AI react differently to a Dark Elf Paladin? Maybe in a negative way.

But at least the choice is up to the player to make and the opportunity for the player to create the Role Play profile of their character, and not the game taking the player by that hand and telling him what to do. That is the spirit of a Sandbox game anyways (and since EQN advertises itself as one

lets put this in real world for  a moment where is a lets say  its 200 years ago on easter island or some african jungle a villager wants to be a  phillosopher... whos going to teach him ? or say a nazi soldier wants to become a mageitechwizard  but wait only the allies teach that and they sure as hell wont teach a nazi

its not just about  being to dumb or ill suited sometimes people just wont teach you the skills because of who  you are

people dont want their skills being  turned against them, how is a halfling going to pull off a dragon kick ? his legs are to short other people stated it better. if theres  no restrictions  then race doesnt matter except for looks its just another skin and  boooreing

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Depends. I don't like being forced to pick a race because of class restrictions. But at the same time I don't like seeing a gnome incased in metal swinging a seven foot pollarm.
  • EeksEeks Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by quseio
    people dont want their skills being  turned against them, how is a halfling going to pull off a dragon kick ? his legs are to short other people stated it better. if theres  no restrictions  then race doesnt matter except for looks its just another skin and  boooreing

Race can still matter plenty with no class restrictions.  Starting attributes could/will influence how good some races are at different classes.  This will be even more potent as equipment apparently doesn't affect attributes this time around.  They did mention being able to increase attributes but, didn't really go into detail (Sounds like vertical progression...)  There may be racial skills/passive abilities as well who knows.

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'm hoping for class unlockers in the cash shop so I can play a class that would normally be locked for a race.
  • isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    The days of races being diffrent are gone just look at  multi classing, everybody want to be the same. If you haven't learned soe will not take this in a direction that will scare the mass's, race will be for looks only or there will be some fluff added for being diffrent and that is that.
  • frizzlepicklefrizzlepickle Member Posts: 72

I voted against it and for a number of reasons.

1. It completely ruins the point of having races if I have to choose one to be the most effective with my class. Why even bother? Just have them prechosen for us since we don't get any choice either way.

2. It renders what the multi-classing system completely pointless. The whole point was that we'd have freedom and be free of alting everything. Now we have to role multiple characters just to get every class. That is stupid.

3. It enforcers stupid stereotyped races with no depth or creativity. The Ogre HAS to be some genaric buff killing machine and the little Gnome HAS to be a rogue or whatever. Races should be about looking and feeling the way you want to, not being forced into one because of what class you choose. 

I thought this round table thing would be cool, but it seems every decision the community makes is to make the game as much like every other MMO as possible. I want a next gen game not the same thing I've played for years. Even if the rest of you seem obsessed with just recreating the same game 200 times like they do with Call Of Battlestrike.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by DangerNobuo
    I'm hoping for class unlockers in the cash shop so I can play a class that would normally be locked for a race.

Or how about an epic way to do that in game ...

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by issling
    The days of races being diffrent are gone just look at  multi classing, everybody want to be the same. If you haven't learned soe will not take this in a direction that will scare the mass's, race will be for looks only or there will be some fluff added for being diffrent and that is that.

scare the masses? a decent majority has voted for these restrictions so far.

I imagine they wouldnt even bother with these polls if they intended to ignore them.

While I belive SoE has made some bad moves since eq1, they are one of the few mmo devs that actually do take risks, and have done so in more or less every mmo they have released.

Edit: as for the guy saying he hoped they will sell class unlocks in cash shop... *sigh*

Originally posted by munx4555

I imagine they wouldnt even bother with these polls if they intended to ignore them.

It will be fluff I tell you, why have multi classing and tell everybody they don't want restrictions and then turn around and restrict the races in some peoples views?

It will be fluff I tell you, why have multi classing and tell everybody they don't want restrictions and then turn around and restrict the races in some peoples views?

because your "some" people are the minority? Also needing more then 1 char to experience all classes = more replayability = more $ ( the longer someone plays the more they will be likely to spend in cash shop etc )

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

because your "some" people are the minority? Also needing more then 1 char to experience all classes = more replayability = more $ ( the longer someone plays the more they will be likely to spend in cash shop etc )

I think one needs only look at what happened to class restrictions in EQ2 to see where EQN is headed.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by will_wolf_rider

Class restrictions based on lore?? Why did you pick that??

"It's how things were done in 1999."

Isn't that the answer that wins every poll?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by udon

I think one needs only look at what happened to class restrictions in EQ2 to see where EQN is headed.

Havnt played eq2 in a while so feel free to correct me if im wrong, but to the best of my knowledge eq2 classes still have race restrictions, all they changed were the need to buy unlock for classes that your race should already have access to.

You lost me I am all for regular class's and race restrictions and getting back to some old time roleplaying:) I just think from what has been said from soe that if people think that there will be any difference between any race I think they will be wrong.  The only difference between the races will be looks only. 

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

I would be ok with lore restrictions on the starting classes for each race (can't start as X if it's not something that you could learn from your race in the first place), but once in the game, nothing should prevent you to learn the class you want.

In fact, I would REALLY like if, for those restricted classes, it requires more time/dedication to eventually get to learn it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I voted for class restrictions and prefer PvP over PvE. It can easily be done without ruining balance if they are just differently skinned classes, or even exchangeable ones (DPS for DPS with the same slot setup, heals for heals with the same slot setup).

Adds more character to the game.

• thinlizzythinlizzy Member Posts: 68

I voted for restrictions and almost exclusively PvP

I loved early WoW (pre 1.7) where we had shamy and palli on one faction and racial advantages made a difference

however...

I would rather have more complex rextrictions than blunt...you are an ogre so cat be stealthy

e.g.

let people play any classs but if its restrictedto their race/cultural/factional background... make them earn the right to learn it first and make that proportionaly HARD

If an Ogre wants to play a class that is learned by becoming a high Elf spiritual guru.... he is going to have to work DAMN hard to convince the High elvs to teach him.

If as some have said... they are just jobs, then there is every reason to restrict those jobs based on cultural religeouse and geographical reasons

• CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99

They said there would be like 40 classes... If I'm not allowed to use 5 of them, I think I could live with that for the sake of lore. Odds are they will add more with future updates/expansions and the number would go up. 

I don't think there will be any lack of choices, even with some limitations.

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by frizzlepickle

1. It completely ruins the point of having races if I have to choose one to be the most effective with my class. Why even bother? Just have them prechosen for us since we don't get any choice either way.

If the difference between races is purely cosmetic than what is the point of having different races?

Everyone = the same is awful game design.

Also, EQ1 had a clear best race for warrior.  I would say less than 10% of warriors chose to be that race.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by thinlizzy

however...

I would rather have more complex rextrictions than blunt...you are an ogre so cat be stealthy

e.g.

let people play any classs but if its restrictedto their race/cultural/factional background... make them earn the right to learn it first and make that proportionaly HARD

If an Ogre wants to play a class that is learned by becoming a high Elf spiritual guru.... he is going to have to work DAMN hard to convince the High elvs to teach him.

If as some have said... they are just jobs, then there is every reason to restrict those jobs based on cultural religeouse and geographical reasons

This is the best compromise IMO.  Seeing an Ogre Paladin, if its possible, should be a HOLY SHIT moment, like when you saw a non Iksar running around cabilis.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

I voted for Lore-based restrictions.  But everyone should remember that they are still writing the lore.  If they come up with a compelling story of the great Ogre Wizard {insert name here} that found friendship with an aspiring Wizard of the 15th circle that brought him under his wing. ....

Then I don't see any problem with Ogre's becoming wizards.  as long as they have to go through the same trials to become that wizard.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by frizzlepickle

If the difference between races is purely cosmetic than what is the point of having different races?

Everyone = the same is awful game design.

Also, EQ1 had a clear best race for warrior.  I would say less than 10% of warriors chose to be that race.

What is the point? I don't know......maybe because people LIKE those races?

If someone wants to make an Ogre wizard, that has ZERO affect on your gameplay.

Also I think some people haven't watched the Lore panel from soe live, the lore isn't  the same as EQ/EQ2,