Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason why Everquest players are so upset...

Comments

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by ignore_me

SOE Live:

We are given a glass of champagne as we enter the immense conference hall where EQNext will be revealed to us. The crowd is excited, as this is the culmination of months of anticipation. A video is shown that demonstrates how Everquest has changed the very lives of its players. One woman gave a testimonial about how she was able to regain her eyesight because of the hope that Everquest gave her. Dramatic music swells, and Smedley toasts everyone and says that they are moved by the effect of their game, and that they now want to give these cherished fans the next Everquest experience.

And so after reminding everyone of what EQ is, they bombarded the poor EQ fans with something so alien and unlike the game they love. I'm not surprised they are pissed. They just had the rug pulled out from underneath them.

The new game is evolutionary, but if people are that into EQ, I can't blame them for having some difficulty digesting EQN. 

Wouldn't that have been a sight if, during the presentations, hundreds of fans started to boo and hiss and ask "WTF is this ##$#??"

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

SOE Live:

We are given a glass of champagne as we enter the immense conference hall where EQNext will be revealed to us. The crowd is excited, as this is the culmination of months of anticipation. A video is shown that demonstrates how Everquest has changed the very lives of its players. One woman gave a testimonial about how she was able to regain her eyesight because of the hope that Everquest gave her. Dramatic music swells, and Smedley toasts everyone and says that they are moved by the effect of their game, and that they now want to give these cherished fans the next Everquest experience.

And so after reminding everyone of what EQ is, they bombarded the poor EQ fans with something so alien and unlike the game they love. I'm not surprised they are pissed. They just had the rug pulled out from underneath them.

The new game is evolutionary, but if people are that into EQ, I can't blame them for having some difficulty digesting EQN. 

Wouldn't that have been a sight if, during the presentations, hundreds of fans started to boo and hiss and ask "WTF is this ##$#??"

lol I was halfway expecting it. I think the audience was too stunned to react though :)

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Vidir

Man are you newborn or something?

Those of us who actually played those games back then clearly remember how hard EQ2 was at launsh. Loads of people left the game becous of that. for some classes it was impossible to finish their class quest without a group (those class quest were only to deside what kind your character direction was,like if you want to be a wizard or a warloc,was mage from start.),Thos quest ended around level 20. And beond level 20 it was hard for som classes to kill simple mobs that were even 2-4 levels below your. So dont tell us EQ2 was not a hardcore from start. They did change this a litle bit enough to get some of the players back but they did not change enough .

Good God people. Pay attention. 

EQ2 was the casual alternative to EQ. EQ2 was 100000X more casual than EQ.

EQ2 wanted to capture a more casual audience. But they didn't. Because it was still too inaccessible when compared to WoW. But compared to EQ - EQ2 was CASUAL.

Yes. EQ2 was more difficult at launch than it is today.

Yes. EQ2 was simplified due to the success of WoW.

EQ2 was not a hardcore game trying to capture their paying customers from EQ. It was trying to capture those who would not play EQ or left because EQ was too hardcore. 

Stop saying how hardcore it was. It is relative. It was more hardcore than WoW, of course. But it was SO much more casual than EQ - and designed to be such.

Stop saying 'those of us who played' - I was there on Day 1 and in all phases of Beta. My question to you guys - did you ever play EQ? And you are seriously saying that EQ2 wasn't the casual alternative? Trust me, I am as flumoxed by you guys as you are by me.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Lol I am no EQ1 player in fact never touched EQ1 or 2. Yet the only way someone could 100% agree with the OP, in a serious manner, is to literally not read  the entire Op. It is the only way someone could agree 100%, 2 reasons is that 1 he just claimed the style of the graphics determines the easienest and etc. Then he is implying or least talking for all EQ players. Not a very healthy mindset to be honest. Im not perfect either but come on now I hope im not the only one who thinks the OP very false and not a good mindset for gaming at all.

Last I check from research this isnt a game made to be exactly like EQ in fact its like a reboot of EQ.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

SOE Live:

lol I was halfway expecting it. I think the audience was too stunned to react though :)

Or maybe the majority of EQ fans liked what they saw and only a small VOCAL minority didnt?

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

SOE Live:

I kept looking for the huge APPLAUD NAO! sign .. did you see how David Georgeson almost had to beg for applause?

Originally posted by DSWBeef

SOE Live:

Or maybe the majority of EQ fans liked what they saw and only a small VOCAL minority didnt?

Well I would agree, but the applause seemed tepid at times. The majority of the attendees at the whole event were ID'd as EQ fans, so I was assuming that the room was full of primarily EQ people.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Different topic heading but same old dead horse beating.How many ways can people find to say the same thing over and over?Then again this is pretty much business as usual for these forums.

I think people work by the mantra "If I say it enough times everyone will agree with me!"

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by BearKnight

The fuss about the "Graphics", or Art-Style, is all about the fact that being "Stylized" means having low-poly models that are meant for "Mainstream" audiences. When they go the Mainstream route for graphics it is almost a certainty that they are going to dumb everything else down as well. Everquest has never been an "easy" franchise, that's why it isn't mainstream. Everquest fans are used to working for what they have, and not being able to buy power or simply walk over encounters that should be hard.

What they're doing with Everquest:Next is absolutely no different than the developers for WoW coming in and saying they're changing the Warcraft franchise up to be a 100% open-world pvp sandbox game with hardcore death penalties and ruthless political warfare with hardcore demanding graphics. Quite frankly, WoW fans would go ABSOLUTELY nuts in the most negative way possible, just like EQ:N fans. Why so many of you are shocked by this is a surprise in and of itself.

<snip> 

-Bear

I don't know why some people are assuming that EQ players are upset.  I am willing to give the devs a chance, and will try their game.  I really love a lot of the ideas, and I played EQ for a very long time.

Why assume that there is 100% open world pvp? Why assume that there are hardcore death penalties? They haven't talked about either of these.

I agree EQ players are used to working to get what they want.  And, I don't see that going away.  They have mentioned characters are a product of how you play.  That means working to build a reputation ... not to mention working to obtain the class you want, or working to customize your class with items and skills.

• And the paladin for example, [Dave Georgeson, Director of Development] mentioned a life of consequence—if you haven’t been making the good choices and being an upright and justice influenced person, you can’t be a paladin. They won’t let you, because the game knows what you’re doing. So you have to live—in some of these classes, we restrict it to how you’ve been acting in the game.

Nice interview from which I pulled this quote: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/03/everquest-next-interview/
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I don't think it should come as a shock to anybody that a good portion of the Everquest fans are upset, or to put it lightly, disappointed at EQN.  There's even a preconceived notion that there's something wrong with Everquest fans expecting and demanding SOE to give them an upgraded EQ.  Everquest is what got SOE where they are today, you know this because they are still using the Everquest IP to draw attention.   And Everquest fans are who got SOE where they are today.  I think it's perfectly reasonable for Everquest fans to expect and demand an upgraded EQ.  I mean it has been how long since we got a character model upgrade in EQ?  Luclin, 2001, that's how long.  And that's also how long since they upgraded the animations on the models.

So before people start thinking there's something wrong with some Everquest vets being disgruntled about EQN, let me tell you EQ fans aren't the only ones.  Asheron's Call fans once asked for an upgraded AC1, but Turbine launched Asheron's Call 2 which was nothing like AC1 at all.  It didn't look, play, or feel like AC1, so they lost their fanbase support, and AC2 eventually got shut down.  DAOC fans expected Mythic to create a DAOC 2, but Mythic sold out to the mass market hype and merged with EA to create Warhammer Online instead.  Mythic lost their fanbase support, and WAR nosedived possibly faster than any games within the first 6 months.  It was such a failure that Mark Jacobs, CEO of Mythic, head of the project, quit.

This happens to many other games when companies don't feel like they need to cater to their own fanbase, the fanbase that got their companies where they are today.  So they create something completely different, and then expect their fans to embrace them.  I will say that of all the talk about old school games being dead, there are plenty of people playing Asheron's Call still today, with Turbine is still actively patching the game with monthly story arcs.  Mark Jacobs has started up another company and now wants to create a true DAOC 2, I guess he realized his mistake.  In EQ there are still tons of people playing EQ, even Brad McQuaid recently took the job back at SOE to work on Everquest 1.  Did you see how full the timelocked progression servers got when they launched?!

So is old school dead, gone, poofed?  No, those games are still quite popular among their target audience, among their fans.  Each of these companies have made mistakes of thinking they could move on from their fanbase, each time they were proven wrong so they crawled back pleading to their fans for support.  I think Everquest fans deserve an upgraded EQ from SOE, I think we deserve upgraded character models & animation from the age old Luclin models.  No we aren't talking about the WoW'fied EQ2 or GW2-hybrid EQNext.  There has to be a compromise somewhere in between EQ and the latest & greatest.

While myself personally I have moved on and realized SOE won't ever give EQ vets what they want, so I accept it.  I have enjoyed GW2 and likely will play EQN and find fun in it.  But I would lie if I didn't say I'd love to see a true EQ successor, just as I'm eagerly awaiting to see Camelot Unchained (real DAOC 2), just as I'm still playing Asheron's Call because to this day it is still the one true sandbox game despite the age old graphics.  To others that don't like what they see with EQN, I say keep your chins up high, there's nothing wrong with you for not liking what you saw.  Don't let others tell you something's wrong with you for not liking the newer age gameplay & graphical style.  Are there more people that prefer newer age gameplay & graphical style?  Yes, definitely, no debates about that.  But that does not mean old school MMO's are dead.  Quite the contrary, a lot of the people are returning to these older games in the recent years.

So, don't be afraid to keep harping to SOE to create that upgraded EQ.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    Wut? Low poly models equals easy mode? That's some serious flawed logic. At this point we really don't know the overall difficulty of the game. I assume it maybe on the more difficult side of things due to the more advanced AI.

How is it flawed logic?

Lower polygon models means larger audiences can play on MUCH older PC's. When WoW released it was compatible with Pc's from 5years prior (into the 1990's).

The logic is that the more you mainstream a product the more mainstreamed other areas become due to that mindset driving your decisions. "How many people can we get to play this game?" is the problematic thought process instead of "How much fun can we make this game for our fans!". Easy mainstreamed gameplay does NOT = fun. It is a primary tactic to get more people into your product. That's what the NGE was for SWG, that's what cataclysm was for WoW (irony in naming), and that's what EQ:Next is for the EQ franchise.

The more advanced AI is ALSO not an acceptable copout for their combat system. You can STILL have a trinity system, and have an amazingly smart AI. They're just not willing to do innovation into how the Trinity system, or class system, works to cope with the more Advanced AI. They've already closed themselves in from the idea that they could do better so instead they decided to copy GW2's combat system to fill that hole in innovation.

It's a copout for more work, nothing else.

As for the comments about EQ2, it wasn't originally a WoW-clone. They did that post-release to compete with WoW, but at that time SOE hadn't realized that copying WoW == failure at best case. EQ2 was meant as, again, a spiritual successor, but then ended up changing it later to bring in a broader audience.

In other words EQ2's developers attempted to "Mainstream" it post-release, but ended in failure. You can't mainstream a product post-launch, it has proven time and time again to be a BAD idea. So this time they're doing it during developement with EQ:Next.

League of Legends is one of (if not the) most popular game in the world right now, and it's also one of the most competitive game. Being available to casual and competitive doesnt mean its a casual game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

The sense of entitlement is coming from people who didn't support EQ. You're so rude for not willing to recognise the years of support these people have given to the company.

I know some people who have played it since beta, that's 14 years.

Some of the players are actually developers now on EQNext.

I really don't like new players from WoW or Guild Wars to walse in with stupidity that "trinity sucks" or some other stuff. Get lost, seriously, you wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for them.

Go back to WoW or something, seriously.

Are you F'n serious? It's SOE that brought those things you're referring to, not the players. I don't think I've heard a more nonsensical argument made on this forum in...well ever.

What would you have supported if not for SOE creating it? They provide you with years of entertainment, yet they still owe you something? SOE makes their money from many games/avenues, not just eq players.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

SOE has really let me down (speaking as a galaxy vet). However, My opinions differ a bit from yours. It's no doubt that EQ:N is a complete change from the everquest series. I have played original and online adventures. I had a lot of fun with them. Most of my experiences came from the interaction with other players. To me, what mattered in everquest was "my" quest, my experience. Not mashing 1, 2, 1, 4 and getting better gear. That was only a filler to meet new people and see new things. 

EQ:N feels like it can be a brilliant game. No doubt that most of it might be just fairy dust. I have interest, but having played so many MMO's, I don't have hope. 

I may be part of the minority here--but I actually dig the art-style. I think they could pull off some crazy and amazing designs using a surreal aesthetic. Hell, they could even make fear-driven mob types. Don't count out the art-style yet. When I saw it, I thought more along the lines of Bioshock Infinite rather than disney (albeit, most thought BioInfinte was a disney throwback). I don't feel the art looks "kid-friendly".

I do hate the loss of the trinity. I disliked GW2 combat inside of dungeons. If you aren't a ranged damage dealer, begin preparations of being downed and spam the 'V' key.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

The sense of entitlement is coming from people who didn't support EQ. You're so rude for not willing to recognise the years of support these people have given to the company.

I know some people who have played it since beta, that's 14 years.

Some of the players are actually developers now on EQNext.

I really don't like new players from WoW or Guild Wars to walse in with stupidity that "trinity sucks" or some other stuff. Get lost, seriously, you wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for them.

Go back to WoW or something, seriously.

Are you F'n serious?

Don't you love unintentional irony?

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Everquest Next is not being designed and marketed for the first generation of MMO gamers. I'm not saying this to be insulting, but it's the simple truth. The first generation of MMO players are no longer where the money is. The casual market is what developers want to capture. It's the way things are now, and as long as people keep buying the games geared toward casual players the market will continue this trend. 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    You know who SoE would attract if they made original EQ1 with updated graphics? EQ1 and Vanguard players. It would be self cannibalism. EQN needs to target a new market and try something new to succeed.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by kartool
    Everquest Next is not being designed and marketed for the first generation of MMO gamers. I'm not saying this to be insulting, but it's the simple truth. The first generation of MMO players are no longer where the money is. The casual market is what developers want to capture. It's the way things are now, and as long as people keep buying the games geared toward casual players the market will continue this trend. 

You know.. I would believe that if it actually worked to the degree these devs think or wish they would..  I head the same thing said by the fans of STO, and the fans of Rift, and the fans of SWTOR, and the fans of GW2 and the fans of (insert name).. and Guess what?  NONE of them ever retained a significant portion of the gamers that gave it a shot..  I have never seen servers TANK (and i'm not talking about class tank) as fast as the latest games have.. So if they keep making these games for the "BIG MONEY" market.. ummm  why are they all going to F2P after their game slides into "play what?" stage.. 

Maybe it's because I'm from the Cleveland area, so we're pretty used to be BS to death and nothing ever working out as planned.. LOL  ha ha ha

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Some hoped SOE was simply going to do an EQ1 rehash, but this time being a true sandbox game.

What have they shown that isn't sandboxy enough exactly? I don't think they have shown enough to show that it IS a sandbox style game but I do not think they have shown anything to the contrary either.
  • ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

I see that some EQ players are vocal and upset - practically on a campaign trail. I'm inclined to think there are also many EQ players who are not unhappy. I'm an EQ2 player and am not upset, so am I an anomaly, or am I actually part of a majority? Don't know, but EQNext seems to be an attempt to bring new people in.

Either way, EQ1 and EQ2 with their older art concepts and various gameplay strengths and weaknesses, have ultimately failed to perform - right now they don't have what the gaming public wants. If they did, the gamers would be in EQ1 and 2, rather than taking part in MMO Tourism or MMO burnout.

It's interesting that Sony is moving into different waters - working on a non-sequel game concept that creates a very different type of gaming experience. In an environment of lackluster MMO prospects, perhaps their outcome will be a better one. I'm sure the entire gaming industry is waiting to see how things turn out. I'm with them, I'm in a wait and see mode. So far, I like what I've heard, and I like what I've seen. I hope things turn out okay.

If the new model fails, I'll be wondering if it's the final proof that MMOs/virtual worlds are truly on their way out.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Shezzi

I see that some EQ players are vocal and upset - practically on a campaign trail. I'm inclined to think there are also many EQ players who are not unhappy. I'm an EQ2 player and am not upset, so am I an anomaly, or am I actually part of a majority? Don't know, but EQNext seems to be an attempt to bring new people in.

Either way, EQ1 and EQ2 with their older art concepts and various gameplay strengths and weaknesses, have ultimately failed to perform - right now they don't have what the gaming public wants. If they did, the gamers would be in EQ1 and 2, rather than taking part in MMO Tourism or MMO burnout.

I agree completely. While I enjoyed EQ for a few years, back before POP came out, I ultimately left for greener pastures and have been doing so ever since.

If people are playing EQ/EQ2 now, there is no reason why they can't continue to do so, great content is still being made.

Those no longer playing, are longing for something that no longer exists, even in EQ. Games and the industry have evolved over the last 15 years. There is no going back.

EQN, if advertised well, could have more players on day one then the total that ever played EQ/EQ2 combined or at least more then currently are playing.

Games are not designed for you, me, or that other guy, they are designed for everyone and have to have systems in place that will please the majority. Sucks if you have some very specific want, but they can't please everyone perfectly.

If EQ was perfect in the early days, so many wouldn't have left and the game wouldn't have morphed into what it is today. It was great, no doubt, but it had flaws that the majority of players won't put up with anymore.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

I love how so many folks arguing that they 'supported' SOE through EQ1 make it sound as though they forced themselves to eat naught but peanut butter sandwiches & ramen noodles while forking over half their weekly paychecks as a cubicle slave to help out SOE for purely altruistic reasons.

You paid SOE. You received access to a service in return. That's all SOE owes you, get over yourselves. The sense of entitlement from some people here is just absolutely staggering, if not all that suprising (sadly enough).

With how fickle and demanding fans of the genre can be, I really do think that any developer who wants to make an MMORPG in this day & age must be completely out of their minds.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

Originally posted by InsaneDalek

I love how so many folks arguing that they 'supported' SOE through EQ1 make it sound as though they forced themselves to eat naught but peanut butter sandwiches & ramen noodles while forking over half their weekly paychecks as a cubicle slave to help out SOE for purely altruistic reasons.

You paid SOE. You received access to a service in return. That's all SOE owes you, get over yourselves. The sense of entitlement from some people here is just absolutely staggering, if not all that suprising (sadly enough).

With how fickle and demanding fans of the genre can be, I really do think that any developer who wants to make an MMORPG in this day & age must be completely out of their minds.

Yeah! Now eat your veggies and don't talk back to your elders EQ fans.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I doubt SOE even has the talent anymore to make a "classic" MMO.

Is it a coincidence that EQN looks to be built along the lines of DCUO and PS2? No.

They are simply making the game they are capable of making: a shallow action combat "MMO" designed for the console.

It has been a long time since SOE released anything NOT that.

So any hopes that EQN is going to be an actual "MMORPG" are very slim at best.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    The reason why some everquest players are upset: It's no longer crack, it's meth.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    I truly believe EQN will be very PvP heavy. They said they wanted to target a new audience, well there are already a ton of PvE new gen MMOs, haven't seen a PvP one yet.