Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Free MMOs on main page...

I've been coming to this site for a couple of years now, and since the game has come out, I have yet to once see it on the list of MMO's that are free to play or download now. I always see GW2 there. I always see Aion and I frequently see WoT and other commonplace MMO's. I even see Star Trek: Online there, which is total garbage.

Why is it that SWTOR seems to get only negative or no attention here?

Comments

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Sindorin

I've been coming to this site for a couple of years now, and since the game has come out, I have yet to once see it on the list of MMO's that are free to play or download now. I always see GW2 there. I always see Aion and I frequently see WoT and other commonplace MMO's. I even see Star Trek: Online there, which is total garbage.

Because everyone has heard of it by now and anyone who has wanted to try it has probably already played it.

• SindorinSindorin Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Because everyone has heard of it by now and anyone who has wanted to try it has probably already played it.

If that's the case then surely, Star Trek Online, and most definitely Guild Wars 2 don't need to be featured. No, I don't believe that's it at all. It's more likely one of two things: a script that tracks what sites you visit or games you read about, and like Google Ads, will remove games you search for constantly or read about repeatedly. It's either that, or something a little more malign; a deliberate attempt to marginalize a game that most in this community, based on my observation, disapprove of.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

AFAIK , the good advert spots cost more Money, and its doubtful, that they will pay more

STO is garbage? to you maybe, but it is very popular, and theyre pushing out a lot of new content

and they dont nickle and dime everything

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Money; specifically the cost of acquiring new players (F2P or subscribers0.

Whilst EA said in their recent Q1 2014 comments that SWTOR was doing OK (a nebulous statement) as Simplius said in another thread their actions don't support their words.

And as a F2P game SWTOR hasn't blazed very brightly. To put things in perspective:

- in the 4 months post F2P SWTOR signed up 2M F2P accounts compared to the 2.4M "full price" retail copies they sold after launch.

- a lot of F2P games have 10M+ accounts e.g. CloneWars and various other SoE titles, whilst some of the big F2P games have 50M+ or even 75M+ "accounts". (Not players you understand) 

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Maybe Bioware's check didn't clear? image

Any puff piece this site might throw towards SWTOR will still generate negative responses. I can't say those responses are undeserved.

If that's the case then surely, Star Trek Online, and most definitely Guild Wars 2 don't need to be featured.

I disagree. STO and GW2, along with a few other recent releases, didn't have nearly the launch numbers that SWTOR had. GW2 had a little over a million, Tera had 700,000, TSW barely broke 200,000, and I couldn't even find STO's numbers.

SWTOR had 2.4 million boxes sold.  That is is over double, triple and ten times as many players as those three titles.

It stands to reason that a much larger percentage of people who play MMO's didn't try any of those games, and thus it makes sense to market directly to them.

or something a little more malign; a deliberate attempt to marginalize a game that most in this community, based on my observation, disapprove of.

Conspiracy theories? Really?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    If that's the case then surely, Star Trek Online, and most definitely Guild Wars 2 don't need to be featured.

I disagree. STO and GW2, along with a few other recent releases, didn't have nearly the launch numbers that SWTOR had. GW2 had a little over a million, Tera had 700,000, TSW barely broke 200,000, and I couldn't even find STO's numbers.

SWTOR had 2.4 million boxes sold.  That is is over double, triple and ten times as many players as those three titles.

It stands to reason that a much larger percentage of people who play MMO's didn't try any of those games, and thus it makes sense to market directly to them.

or something a little more malign; a deliberate attempt to marginalize a game that most in this community, based on my observation, disapprove of.

No comment about STO / TSW but the info above is off as far as GW2 goes. GW2 hit 2M in 2 weeks - at a comparable time SWTOR had basically 1M. (NCSoft stopped supplying retailers 2 days after lauch to throttle demand). Subsequently  EA reported 2.4M sales for SWTOR (after 4 months not at launch) and GW2 has gone on to pass3M - and is still B2P of course.

Now SWTOR started out as a sub based game and GW2 as B2P so a bit like comparing apples to oranges but!

Originally posted by gervaise1

No comment about STO / TSW but the info above is off as far as GW2 goes. GW2 hit 2M in 2 weeks - at a comparable time SWTOR had basically 1M. (NCSoft stopped supplying retailers 2 days after lauch to throttle demand). Subsequently  EA reported 2.4M sales for SWTOR (after 4 months not at launch) and GW2 has gone on to pass3M - and is still B2P of course.

Now SWTOR started out as a sub based game and GW2 as B2P so a bit like comparing apples to oranges but!

I stand corrected on GW2 then.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

Id guess because The old Republic is not FTP, but only a free to log in kinda deal. You can barly move 10 inch before you need to spend cash, and even with a sub you are constantly hammered and really spammed by the cash shop. Heck, everything you can buy with ingame currency has a flashing and usually bigger button next to it "buy me with $$$!"

I would never put that kind of buisiness model on the front page. Bad PR for this site.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    [mod edit]

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by simplius

STO is garbage? to you maybe, but it is very popular, and theyre pushing out a lot of new content

Pretty much this. (it's amusing that he calls STO garbage, while Dragon Eternity and Scarlet Blade is on the list as well :) )

OP, as a few here already stated, that's simply an advertisment list. Probably EA doesn't pay from its marketing budget on here too much, that's why TOR is not among those games. It's pretty logical, as Frostvein wrote everyone heard about TOR already...

And while troll-feeding is just as futile as the resistance against a Cube ( :) ), I'd like to correct at least the kickstarted factual errors:

"How many servers does STO have?  Yep 1 how many times is that server full?  Yep never."  - yep, only at every major event, just ask anyone who stucked in the 10k + queue at the start of the 3rd anniversary

"STO is pumping out a lot of new content?" - indeed it does, a new Season quite regulary, with additional new systems, seasonal events, and the NR expansion.  (meanwhile, TOR's Makeb wasn't promised much earlier and free? :) just noting)

Originally posted by kickstart5
    Originally posted by ignore_me

If that's the case then surely, Star Trek Online, and most definitely Guild Wars 2 don't need to be featured. No, I don't believe that's it at all. It's more likely one of two things: a script that tracks what sites you visit or games you read about, and like Google Ads, will remove games you search for constantly or read about repeatedly. It's either that, or something a little more malign; a deliberate attempt to marginalize a game that most in this community, based on my observation, disapprove of.

I can only hope that you are right. It would be delicious if the hate on this site deprived the assholes at Bioware of players. Fuck that game.

Lmao if you think you and your two other friends who spam every swtor post is going to effect swtor you need some help. It sad enough you and the others have wasted two years of your life whining and crying about a VIDEO GAME YOU DONT EVEN PLAY. Talk about some sad pathetic lives some people live. Its a video game bro you don't like it don't play it. Acting like a spoiled little brat isn't going to change the fact ALOT OF PEOPLE PLAY IT AND ENJOY IT. MOVE ON! The game WILL BE around for a lot longer.

Thanks for your input. You can imagine how much weight I gave it

About as much weight as your sad pathetic ,whining, crying, ignorant post carry.

wow, in two years of posting against SWTOR, this is the first time anyone has cared enough to stop their day and attempt to chastise me. I imagine you will have great success in somehow convincing me that your suck game is anything but.

I can only hope that you are right. It would be delicious if the hate on this site deprived the assholes at Bioware of players. Fuck that game.

Lmao if you think you and your two other friends who spam every swtor post is going to effect swtor you need some help. It sad enough you and the others have wasted two years of your life whining and crying about a VIDEO GAME YOU DONT EVEN PLAY. Talk about some sad pathetic lives some people live. Its a video game bro you don't like it don't play it. Acting like a spoiled little brat isn't going to change the fact ALOT OF PEOPLE PLAY IT AND ENJOY IT. MOVE ON! The game WILL BE around for a lot longer.

Thanks for your input. You can imagine how much weight I gave it

About as much weight as your sad pathetic ,whining, crying, ignorant post carry.

wow, in two years of posting against SWTOR, this is the first time anyone has cared enough to stop their day and attempt to chastise me. I imagine you will have great success in somehow convincing me that your suck game is anything but.

Haha no its not you and the others have been called out many times. Most people know you and follow your name and ignore ignorant people like you. So you now admit to trolling the last two yrs. Very good to hear. Sad, pathetic and ignorant but everyone already knew what you do on this site. Thanks for admitting it to everyone.

Oh you've tricked me into revealing my true feelings. Now everyone knows how I have shamelessly posted about how terrible SWTOR is. Damn your wit and guile.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I would not recommend this as a Star wars site. Star wars is a game played mostly by people who tend to just play to relax and have fun. Too much of the population at this site is seeking a escape from less than successful real lives. The lack of success in the real world tends to make such people angry and depressed.  Thus, they seek an escape through total immersion in a game in order to forget real life. Sadly, negativity is one of the worst detriments in achieving real world success. 

Originally posted by catlana

I would not recommend this as a Star wars site. Star wars is a game played mostly by people who tend to just play to relax and have fun. Too much of the population at this site is seeking a escape from less than successful real lives. The lack of success in the real world tends to make such people angry and depressed.  Thus, they seek an escape through total immersion in a game in order to forget real life. Sadly, negativity is one of the worst detriments in achieving real world success. 

fake psychology FTW!

[mod edit]

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Pretty much this. (it's amusing that he calls STO garbage, while Dragon Eternity and Scarlet Blade is on the list as well :) )

OP, as a few here already stated, that's simply an advertisment list. Probably EA doesn't pay from its marketing budget on here too much, that's why TOR is not among those games. It's pretty logical, as Frostvein wrote everyone heard about TOR already...

And while troll-feeding is just as futile as the resistance against a Cube ( :) ), I'd like to correct at least the kickstarted factual errors:

"How many servers does STO have?  Yep 1 how many times is that server full?  Yep never."  - yep, only at every major event, just ask anyone who stucked in the 10k + queue at the start of the 3rd anniversary

"STO is pumping out a lot of new content?" - indeed it does, a new Season quite regulary, with additional new systems, seasonal events, and the NR expansion.  (meanwhile, TOR's Makeb wasn't promised much earlier and free? :) just noting)

While SWTOR has even more updates and a reoccuring event , plus a new event starting next Tueday. too much to list , food is cooking and ready. As to the nckel and dime then look at tauntaun and the new content , oh nickel and dime in-game credits ? Such a bloody cham isn't it my poor SW wallet is empty , blast it!

Ignore me did have about 2 months off bashing SWTOR , he gave up , but is back with avengence.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by Po_gg

While SWTOR has even more updates and a reoccuring event , plus a new event starting next Tueday. too much to list , food is cooking and ready. As to the nckel and dime then look at tauntaun and the new content , oh nickel and dime in-game credits ? Such a bloody cham isn't it my poor SW wallet is empty , blast it!

Ignore me did have about 2 months off bashing SWTOR , he gave up , but is back with avengence.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Hehe. Badorb you are awesome!

[mod edit]

Out of respect for Badorb I'm leaving this thread.

Hey since you called me awesome you can stay , nah you can stay anyways. I just noticed i made quite a few typos earlier but my dinner was very good. It is a shame we haven't got any new SCi-fi MMO's to talk about though , meh. We are looking at you SEGA , dammit!

Hmm Battlefront is on it's way but sadly isn't an MMO , might turn out nice though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

Hey since you called me awesome you can stay , nah you can stay anyways. I just noticed i made quite a few typos earlier but my dinner was very good. It is a shame we haven't got any new SCi-fi MMO's to talk about though , meh. We are looking at you SEGA , dammit!

Hmm Battlefront is on it's way but sadly isn't an MMO , might turn out nice though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

They announced a 2015 release date though! I play PS2 with a guy who works for an EA lateral contractor, he was saying that the BF game is rumored to be a more sprawling affair than the previous versions. I'm looking forward to it.  

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Zaradoom

Id guess because The old Republic is not FTP, but only a free to log in kinda deal. You can barly move 10 inch before you need to spend cash, and even with a sub you are constantly hammered and really spammed by the cash shop. Heck, everything you can buy with ingame currency has a flashing and usually bigger button next to it "buy me with $$$!"

I would never put that kind of buisiness model on the front page. Bad PR for this site.

- have to pay for quick bars

- have to play for "hide head slot"

-have to pay for minimal bank space

-have to pay for minimal access to guild bank 

-have to pay for gear

-have to pay to loot in flashpoints(dungeons)

-have to pay for ops(raids)

-have to pay to buy T3 riding skill

and not to mention all the new "contents" are catered toward level 55 that paid for RoTHC. it is as you have said "free to login". of course people can play completely free, i tried it as an experiment and i played day and night for 3 months and unlocked almost all of the restrictions that can be unlocked as a free player. but as soon as i unlocked guild bank access it killed my mood for the game, a free player can not deposit cash or withdraw cash from guild bank even after applying the access unlock on account. i continued to play less and less after RoTHC and now i don't play it anymore. don't feel like grinding level 50 content for nothing.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

They announced a 2015 release date though! I play PS2 with a guy who works for an EA lateral contractor, he was saying that the BF game is rumored to be a more sprawling affair than the previous versions. I'm looking forward to it.  

I really miss the Battlefront games , so 2015 not too long then and bigger areas you say ooo , bring it on ! Good news indeed. Even James Olhen said he was looking forward to it :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

This discussion has been closed.