Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sidesaddle - Can anyone elaborate?

kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79

Let me first say this, as sort of an intro. I'm female and I grew up with horses ever since I was very little. We currently own 5, A Paso, Walker, Arab and 2 Saddlebreds. When I played Tera and discovered my character sat sidesaddle it drove me absolutely insane- I had to pay to be lolipron.

After seeing the news from the letter, I noticed this :

• Character gender and race effects mount sitting pose

So can anyone tell me more about this?

Like which races do it so I can AVOID those. Do I have to play a male character to escape this?

I'm pretty sure the above is an Elezen female, correct me if I'm wrong. I was going to pick a Hyur Highlander, judging from their posture and attitude I'm hoping they don't do this.

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    I think i've seen it all now.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Kind of expected actually, for some reason JP/KR games tend to do crazy stuff with mounts...

Kind of cool each Job can get a specific mount, I wonder if you are limited to how many you can collect?

I hope Hyur female don't side saddle, was planning on that for my main.

May have to go male Hyur now just to be safe!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

My main is a Roegadyn/Hellguard Female. They are known for being mercenaries and she is over 8 feet tall. I really hope they dont side saddle her.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

TERA had the same thing. All females rode side saddle. It is very sexist, especially if you think of a female warrior in armor riding side saddle.

BUT, these are fantasy games. Does it break the lore of the game? Questions do need to be asked.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Maybe its mount specific. Like if you're riding a white unicorn of course you're gonna be side saddle even if you're male haha

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

sidesaddle was used to help women in skirts ride a horse.. no other reason..

used today in some sports... but thats it

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    People will complain about anything these days. I'll keep this short, I would give a fuck about riding position if there was mounted combat, because then female toons riding sidesaddle into battle would be silly.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This isn't new

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/off-topic/307784-why-do-females-ride-spindrel-tindrel-sidesaddle.html

It was stupid in Rift then, It looks stupid in FF14 now.

Good thing I'm going Hyur Male.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I think each player should have the option of how they'd want their toon to ride.

Many problems solved. just make it a check-box in the Mounts Menu.

Done.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79

I get the strange feeling some people didn't even read my post.............

I asked which races do this so I can avoid it and pick accordingly.

Originally posted by spankybus

I think each player should have the option of how they'd want their toon to ride.

Many problems solved. just make it a check-box in the Mounts Menu.

Done.

The problem is whether or not they have created the models. Not that it wouldn't take too much to patch a a later date, but tbh, after  release, I'm sure there are going to be higher developmental priorities

Originally posted by kiraveli

I got it, I read that, I just don't know the answer.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by spankybus

Agreed. Then it could just be a nice feature for RP purposes.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928
    OP, I don't think the races were listed. But just stick with a Chocobo, you won't have this issue then. I don't know whose idea it was to add all these terrible mount options, but everyone on Chocobo strides it--so this shouldn't be an issue then.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Side saddle is only for specific mounts, I'm guessing.

Might not even be gender related.

I can confirm 100% that in closed beta Phase 3 my female Hyur rode a Chocobo the "normal" way.

I've also seen a dev video where a female Miq'ote is riding some big cat looking thing (I think the CE pre-order mount) the normal way.

So if you absolutely HATE side saddle, you'll probably not want to ride the specific mounts that make you sit side saddle.

Just my assumptions, of course, based on available evidence + logic.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Wasn't referring to you =P

I also never noticed the Rift thing until you pointed it out, that thread is awesome. I just ride a cat.

I did have to relevel a Mathosian female when I discovered High Elves ride around with their arm permanently extended. They even flop it around when you jump.

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216

If they did not say anything specific about the sitting pose for each race and gender in the newsletter, I dont think anyone can know at this moment. So might just have to wait for more information.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by botrytis

TERA had the same thing. All females rode side saddle. It is very sexist, especially if you think of a female warrior in armor riding side saddle.

BUT, these are fantasy games. Does it break the lore of the game? Questions do need to be asked.

Oh FFS it isn't sexist. Women used to ride sidesaddle while wearing dresses for what should be obvious reasons.  It's a stylistic choice in a video game. 

People bitch about the stupidest stuff

Wasn't sure if anyone from beta or the other FF MMO would happen know or have any input.

Thank you guys for the replies, I'll stick with my little Hyur and cross my fingers. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Wasn't referring to you =P

I also never noticed the Rift thing until you pointed it out, that thread is awesome. I just ride a cat.

I did have to relevel a Mathosian female when I discovered High Elves ride around with their arm permanently extended. They even flop it around when you jump.

I don't know. I've never seen any responses saying. "That's cool" with regard to SS mounting. I don't like it, it just looks awkward. And to top it off, on a spider no less.

But I can tell you that my Female Mathosian Mage rode Tindrell (The Mechanical spider) the standard way.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Dunno for certain, but if I was to wager a guess, I'd say roegadyn and lalafell are unlikely to ride sidesaddle. 

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Why would you ride anything other than a chocobo? But anyways, I think all females do this, of any race. It may only be for certain mounts though.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Females definitely ride chocobos normally, at least.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• DhaenonDhaenon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I would assume it is based on mount or race. Perhaps those Elven women ride side saddle because they are suppose to be all noble and proper. Perhaps it is the mount itself, the pure Unicorn, very proper. 
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

The type of mount we know is job-specific. White Mages get unicorns. Yep.

The way you ride is likely going to be determined by race and gender. If you don't want to ride side-saddle, don't roll a female toon. If you don't want to look ridiculous, don't roll a lalafell or roegadyn, etc. (but that's just a good general rule!).

However, pretty sure everyone will ride a chocobo the same way. There's really only 1 way to ride them...

(we don't really know though, even the people who were in beta, because no one has played the phase 4 build yet, which is when this is implemented)