Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQ landmark a game?

2»

Comments

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Buccaneer
    SOE being SOE, I'm wondering what FTP restrictions are going to be included with Landmark.

You are making content for them for free. 

It would take a major set of balls to actually charge players to develop content for your game for free. 

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Somewhere - I forget where - SOE said that while EQNL will have a cash shop with a few things in it, there won't be much monetization.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

" LOL " Leave it to Sony to figure out how to make a game and the Gamers do it for them for no pay.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Ardwulf
    Somewhere - I forget where - SOE said that while EQNL will have a cash shop with a few things in it, there won't be much monetization.

Lol, its like being a part time slave, and every now and again the slave master slips you a rufi, rapes you, and robs you to boot.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Here's the Creating Worlds panel, which I think I remember answering a lot of my initial questions.

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR3NEsJzP_o&feature=c4-overview&list=UUf6J9yokPS0ys456jvjLBGQ

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr3yhrXo9cg&list=UUf6J9yokPS0ys456jvjLBGQ

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

look mom, my house in EQN looks like the USS Enterprise! How cool!

Which one? (ok, the name Picard is giving a hint)

Actually it would be great, with the bridges, all the decks, etc. and ofc a separate saucer section as a flying mount... khm, ok maybe a better fit for ArcheAge ;)

Edit: love cookies, too bad I can't go within 30 feet to the cookie jar :) (maybe not 30, it was a long time I saw that flick)

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

Somewhere on MMORPG.com is an interview link to youtube where he mentions elements of Landmark that include

- Going out and finding items you can incorporate into the building

- Trade stations where crafters gather to make such items

- Trade between people

- Free form land claiming as opposed to in the actual EQnext game owning land will be the result of getting it from some faction or quest reward

- Gathering material

When they originally announced it I was thinking more like a Developers tool in the line of Skyrim content creation kit but this does sound a bit more like minecraft than an all powerful developers tool where you just pull things out of a large menu of items at will. Either way I doubt they will open up actual scripting which is essential for really really complex items like you find in Second Life (running motorcycles and working guns...or the fantasy EQ equivelant) so you will probably end up with mostly builidings landscape elements and maybe weapon skins...either of those should be easy to put together.

On the plus side on the same interview they did say in the actual EQnext they are looking to make crafting important enough that people actually feel the need to talk to crafters...a lot of people say it but since SOE is the past owner of one of a very small group of mmo's that have actually done that in the past maybe they can pull it off...maybe, call me wary until I see it on screen though.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

sounds like Landmark will really be a "niche" game. No PvE :-( No combat.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    It's actually a game, all its own. In fact, they're even calling it an MMO.  We're toying with the idea of giving it its own listing here.  It won't have all of the same features as EQN at launch (classes, combat, the AI, rally calls) and instead will be more like the Wild West where you just go explore and build.  It'll be interesting to see what gets added to Landmark over the months leading up to EQN's launch.  Because chances are that Landmark will serve as a sort of beta for EQN, and then when the latter releases... what happens to Landmark?

PVP?  Assuming so since you compared it to the wild west.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Murtagh69Murtagh69 Member Posts: 4
    The thing for me is that I only want to explore the lands once EQNEXT is ready, I don't want to run around the basic template of Norrath mining and choping wood to build a house, guild hall or temple. I just want see the new lands once there ready... So I'm not sure it has much to offer me tbh.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    It's actually a game, all its own. In fact, they're even calling it an MMO.  We're toying with the idea of giving it its own listing here.  It won't have all of the same features as EQN at launch (classes, combat, the AI, rally calls) and instead will be more like the Wild West where you just go explore and build.  It'll be interesting to see what gets added to Landmark over the months leading up to EQN's launch.  Because chances are that Landmark will serve as a sort of beta for EQN, and then when the latter releases... what happens to Landmark?

I'm pretty sure if SOE does it right, Landmark will always be fun.  Landmark will likely attract a ton of players from minecraft and many other games.  Even people who don't play MMOs could enjoy it.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

We can expect something like this in Landmark, but with curved shaped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9g0os-demw

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Arcona

We can expect something like this in Landmark, but with curved shaped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9g0os-demw

I think landmark is a great idea, some of my favorite content in skyrim came from player made mods, and most of it was designed for seamless integration with the game world. Some of it would be outside the scope of what EQ Landmark has described due to scripting limitations in an MMO, but there is no reason we couldn't see this MMO have the largest variation of housing designs, shop designs (assuming they do shops...who really knows), and even weapon skins than we have seen in any MMO from a AAA dev.

Variety is a good thing and since it has to go through SOE's filter before it gets in EQN hopefully we get both variety and consistency with design.

I am interested in this multiple plot large scale crafting they keep talking about on the side, that you and someone else can join plots or multiple people can join plots for larger projects...that could be interesting.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I bet landmark will be more popular than EQN itself.