Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Civilization Online: It's Real, and It's Happening

Comments

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

Am I the only one saddened by this news?

Civ 4 is my all time favourite game and I have, without doubt, played it more than any other game, but that's largely because I can choose to play it whenever I want. I can leave it for a few weeks and then play if for a full weekend.

MMOs demand more hours, and more day-to-day commitment than I can afford.

It's a pity because I'd love a new Civ game with a decent AI.

When I play Civ everything is up to me - I am the ruler. In Civ online I be a meaningless cog in the wheel because of all the students, unemployed, retired or lottery winners that play 24/7 - sigh :(

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Verterdegete
    OMG... Cartoony graphics... Again.

Extremely realistic graphics are something to avoid if you're creating a game that you expect people to play, and pay for four, five or even ten years down the line. . The current 'realistic' graphics at any given time are usually nothing more than just an emphasis on the current tech - bump maps, water effects, self-shadowing, cloth animations, more betterer water, etc. When the new tech or new fad comes in, the older graphics really start to show their age. Most MMOs that are several years old either look it or have had several engine updates along to way to combat that.

This isn't only in the game industry. It's an issue for Hollywood, too.Pixar can rake in gobs of cash time and again, and  kids can watch Cars for the umpteen millionth time almost a decade later, but it gets kind of painful trying to watch the more realistic-looking Final Fantasy movies right now.  For example, watch Advent Children and Monster Inc and you can see both focused an inordinate amount of camera time on watching hair move.

The more stylised or cartoon-ish the graphics are, the longer they stand the test of time. It safeguards against those who will reject a work because of the tech used.

EDIT: Clarity

The only real way to ensure realistic graphics survive the test of time is to go with tech that is ahead of the current median in terms of mid range systems. AOC and EQ2 are examples of this, yet that was a big part of their failure(s) early on.

AOC still looks great to this day, but they paid a price for that longevity.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

I don't know about this.....

You play as a citizen...Plebian Online doesn't sound too tantalizing.  Didn't The Sims Online prove humdrum existence doesn't make for great game play?  If I want to be a cog in the machine of industry, I'll join the real world.

I'd prefer the idea of a massive world in which players each create their own Civilizations, and then ally with one another to defend and conquer. No need for an avatar at all.

• Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47

That is all. But I will admit I'm looking forward to this one myself, I've been on a Civ V kick with my friends spending more time playing than I'd like to admit.

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• DeroidDeroid Member Posts: 2
    holy mother of god... i love this.
  • JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Extremely realistic graphics are something to avoid if you're creating a game that you expect people to play, and pay for four, five or even ten years down the line. . The current 'realistic' graphics at any given time are usually nothing more than just an emphasis on the current tech - bump maps, water effects, self-shadowing, cloth animations, more betterer water, etc. When the new tech or new fad comes in, the older graphics really start to show their age. Most MMOs that are several years old either look it or have had several engine updates along to way to combat that.

This isn't only in the game industry. It's an issue for Hollywood, too.Pixar can rake in gobs of cash time and again, and  kids can watch Cars for the umpteen millionth time almost a decade later, but it gets kind of painful trying to watch the more realistic-looking Final Fantasy movies right now.  For example, watch Advent Children and Monster Inc and you can see both focused an inordinate amount of camera time on watching hair move.

The more stylised or cartoon-ish the graphics are, the longer they stand the test of time. It safeguards against those who will reject a work because of the tech used.

I'd rather realistic graphics that don't age so great than cartoon graphics that look dumb from the start but stand the test of time...looking dumb. Outdated good graphics are better than silly cartoonish graphics.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Something about this game got me excited. I am looking to find out about more of this game.  Can't believe the mmo genre is bouncing back this strong. Lets hope these new gamesdeliver 
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    So many good games in production. I don't know which I'll stick to but bring them on!
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Sweet mother of pearl. Is this possible???
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    Cartoon Graphics For The Win!
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ugh. This represents EVERYTHING I DONT like.

- WOWesque cartoon graphics

- online in a strategy game where I want to be left alone and not have others meddling with my civ

- civ has since Civ 5 already lost it's path, so instead of making a good NEW Civ 6, they waste their time on this

No. Just no.

Above all things: I love Civ games because I am ALONE and NOBODY pesters me while I play my game. The LAST THING I want is other people in my Civ game! Shoo... go away Trolls and Kids and whatnot! GET OFF MY CIV LAWN WHIPPERSNAPPERS!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Elikal

Ugh. This represents EVERYTHING I DONT like.

- WOWesque cartoon graphics

- online in a strategy game where I want to be left alone and not have others meddling with my civ

- civ has since Civ 5 already lost it's path, so instead of making a good NEW Civ 6, they waste their time on this

No. Just no.

Above all things: I love Civ games because I am ALONE and NOBODY pesters me while I play my game. The LAST THING I want is other people in my Civ game! Shoo... go away Trolls and Kids and whatnot! GET OFF MY CIV LAWN WHIPPERSNAPPERS!

They'd be fools to not be planning to (if not already) investing into a civ 6 too. I doubt this will distract them too much, especially since it's not firaxis directly by the sounds of it.

Anyway, cannot please all the people all the time but they have managed to please me. I just hope the game lives up to it's potential.

• DocDexterDocDexter Member UncommonPosts: 23

This sounds awesome... if they get it to work like they say.

As an aside, I don't think you're going to be left behind if you can't play a week. The civilization you belong to progress as an entity. If you last played in ancient era and you come back in the medieval era your toon will look medieval, but he might need a visit to the marketplace to get new tools and weapons. All of the factions advancement will be available to him.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    That sounds amazing O_O
  • M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    This is a game I really have no interest in seeing as a MMO. I'd much rather have a single-player game with the option to play on lan or other people online in a limited manner that does not involve paying subscription for at all. 

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Video's make it look more like Kunfu Panda Online .... cartoon graphics ffs ...

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Meh 'sessions'? 'winnable scenarios?' I may as well play multiplayer in the other Civ games, not to mention this will just turn out to be played as a war game no matter the other playstyles available

Not interested

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Sounds pretty interesting. I like that they're not making an online strategy game but focus on the multiplayer world-building instead. Could be potentially great to, as an individual citizen rather than a supreme dictator, build a grand civilization together with thousands of other players (and then destroy other civilizations ofc). I also like the exploration focus, that the world will be gradually expanded so that you'll not see the other civs until you've reached the appropriate technological level.

Still, there are some major question marks. How will the "sessions" work? Will an individual character play through thousands of years of history, win or lose aganist the other civs, and then start over again in 5000 BC? Not very immersive or realistic if that is the case. I'd prefer to play through several generations of characters and thus building my own "micro-history" within the great meta-history.

History just starting over and over for ever is pretty Nietzschean, but more suitable for a multiplayer game, not a persistant MMO world.

• SyncopatixSyncopatix Member UncommonPosts: 3

"buildings such as libraries or Wonders (such as the Pyramids) will take hundreds of players working together to finish. He explained the system almost like an epic raid for crafting."

As a life-long fan of the Civ series, a dedicated Crafter and a confirmed Alt-o-holic, can i just say.. nerd-gasm!  What an amazing idea.. a raid for crafters... WHY has no one ever thought of this before!!

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the evening.
    Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

• Informative_HaikuInformative_Haiku Member Posts: 6

my interest is piqued

a very nifty concept

I will watch this game closely

give us something new
    we demand innovation;
    this is not the same

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Not a mmo, really grinds my gears how everything that is online is labeled as such.

Interesting however.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by karmath

Not a mmo, really grinds my gears how everything that is online is labeled as such.

Interesting however.

Now this i just absurd.

This IS 100% a mmo.

You have thousands of players sharing the same open world together. how is that not a mmo?

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

Yea!!

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74

This is not true, Mass Effect came out in 2007 and look at it, http://tinyurl.com/ltgpvth

• acelee74acelee74 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    i heard this game was going to be only an asian release only,   that it would only be released in Skorea.    i hope this is not true.    but i already read about it so we will soon see i guess.