Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having so much fun playing mainstream games!

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

STO just got a new expansion, and i am still not finishing the main story compaign. I probably won't have time to do so before season 8 hit.

Marvel Heroes .. just finished the main story (30 hours of free fun), and it is a lot of good hack-n-slash fun. I may even level up some alts, and work towards either a Cap America or Iron Man.

NWO .. nice action RPG combat but i don't have time to really play yet.

And there are firefall, warframe, GW2, TSW .. and many games i don't even have time to dabble in. I will certainly wait for GW2 and TSW to go F2P to try them.

So many mainstream MMOs, so little time, and better yet, so many are free.

And i have not even gone into game that are "close enough" to MMOs but are not MMOs (like D3). Incidentally it is strange that if you say you hate MMOs, and list other games you play, it is ok, but some will go ballistic if you say you like some MMOs but also talk about other non-MMOs you are enjoying. People are so strange!

Comments

• nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    not sure what your trolling for, but kudos on the fun, now get back to it those games aint gonna play them selves
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I have a lot of fun making fun of mainstream games.  Does that count?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    That is amazing I couldn't stand playing Marvel Heroes after an hour and would have more fun chewing on an old rubber boot than playing that cash grab. Congratulations.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by nottuned
    not sure what your trolling for, but kudos on the fun, now get back to it those games aint gonna play them selves

wait .. saying i like some MMOs on a MMORPG site is trolling? What is not trolling? Expressing hate on MMORPGs? You have strange ideas.

Originally posted by nilden
    That is amazing I couldn't stand playing Marvel Heroes after an hour and would have more fun chewing on an old rubber boot than playing that cash grab. Congratulations.

People have different tastes. What can i say.

I couldn't stand playing UO after 15 min of ganking. I couldn't stand EQ after a few hours of camping.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I couldn't stand playing UO after 15 min of ganking. I couldn't stand EQ after a few hours of camping.

Then why on Earth did you keep playing EQ for a year as you've mentioned several times?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

wait .. saying i like some MMOs on a MMORPG site is trolling? What is not trolling? Expressing hate on MMORPGs? You have strange ideas.

Your use of the term "mainstream games" indicates you are pushing an agenda.  But you already knew that, didn't you?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by Cecropia

Then why on Earth did you keep playing EQ for a year as you've mentioned several times?

Because i didn't know better? Because there were no better alternatives? I regret that quite a bit. It was probably the worst gaming decision i have made.

This year with D3 was so much more fun. Heck, even the brief 30 hours with Marvel Heroes was a much better entertaining experiences than that 1 yr with EQ. I will chalk it up as i was young, inexperienced, and easily fooled by SOE.

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

GW2 going F2P, sorry it's not going to happen. But feel free to dream on :)

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I can't figure out if you're just really good at it or don't even realize that you're doing it. Is it still trolling if you do not mean to? lol

Maybe "annoying" is better suited for the latter. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Attend4455

Actually it is already B2P. Just need it to drop the price to something like a mobile game. And that will happen. TSW is already what .. $15?

There are so many alternatives that i don't have time for it now anyway.

Originally posted by Cecropia

I can't figure out if you're just really good at it or don't even realize that you're doing it. Is it still trolling if you do not mean to? lol

Maybe "annoying" is better suited for the latter. 

Well .. too bad the internet is full of "annoying" opinions. But i am sure you already know that.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

Well OP congratulations on having fun! Even if you're doing it with games that I personally find to be absolutely horrid. Then again my taste in games is arguably worse considering how I have somehow managed to find myself having fun playing EVE and I grind for hours on end in Warframe for no real purpose. (And have fun doing it *shudder*) 

So keep on keeping on and enjoy your gaming experience!

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

Actually it is already B2P. Just need it to drop the price to something like a mobile game. And that will happen. TSW is already what .. $15?

Both Guild Wars and GW2 were launched as B2P, they stayed B2P, their payment model was always B2P.

You say they just need to change that, but why would they? GW was very successful as B2P and I see no reason why GW2 wouldn't be ... do you have any justification for saying "that will happen" ?

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

Both Guild Wars and GW2 were launched as B2P, they stayed B2P, their payment model was always B2P.

You say they just need to change that, but why would they? GW was very successful as B2P and I see no reason why GW2 wouldn't be ... do you have any justification for saying "that will happen" ?

No .. i said they will lower the price, which already happened to TSW (from $30 to $15), and the original GW is dirt cheap.

You don't know that every game will have lower prices after a while?

Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

Well OP congratulations on having fun! Even if you're doing it with games that I personally find to be absolutely horrid. Then again my taste in games is arguably worse considering how I have somehow managed to find myself having fun playing EVE and I grind for hours on end in Warframe for no real purpose. (And have fun doing it *shudder*) 

So keep on keeping on and enjoy your gaming experience!

Well. gaming taste is diverse if this site is any indication.

I do find warframe a pretty good game, although i found the ones i listed above more fun, and hence i haven't spent much time on it.

Eve, OTOH, is very boring for me. STO has much better pve combat, and 1000x better story missions .. for me of course.

So we are pretty much even ... there is one game we both like (Warframe), and you find some of my games horrid, and i found one of yours horrid.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

One of the guys who played a key role in creating these mainstream games feels regret stating he thinks they "killed a genre" with WoW. People who enjoyed what an MMORPG used to be know exactly what he is talking about. Now we have copy-cat MMO's and games like The Division which the developers do not claim to be an MMO, but also leave it open to that description as the idea of an MMO is appealing to many multi-player gamers. The industry has been butchered. I can't wait until an entertaining MMO comes out.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/29/firefall-boss-feels-mmo-developers-have-killed-a-genre-by-catering-to-accessibility-over-achievement/

Interesting read.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by madazz

One of the guys who played a key role in creating these mainstream games feels regret stating he thinks they "killed a genre" with WoW. People who enjoyed what an MMORPG used to be know exactly what he is talking about. Now we have copy-cat MMO's and games like The Division which the developers do not claim to be an MMO, but also leave it open to that description as the idea of an MMO is appealing to many multi-player gamers. The industry has been butchered. I can't wait until an entertaining MMO comes out.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/29/firefall-boss-feels-mmo-developers-have-killed-a-genre-by-catering-to-accessibility-over-achievement/

Interesting read.

He's upset he still isn't on the Blizz team and now his agenda is to help sell his current project and get in as many digs at his previous employer as possible.

• JustARandomPandaJustARandomPanda Member Posts: 61

+1

What a breath of fresh air the opening post is...especially for mmorpg forums. Usually there's griping or doom and gloom about a specific mmo or mmos in general. Wish the mmorpg forums were more balanced between negative and positive threads/posts - other mmo forums/sites don't seem to have this imbalance as dominant as this site does.

Thanks for contributing back toward balance in these forums.

Playing Now: The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter

Playing soon: Landmark beta, Swordman beta

Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by madazz

Interesting read.

He's upset he still isn't on the Blizz team and now his agenda is to help sell his current project and get in as many digs at his previous employer as possible.

Yeah ... and i am more interested in games like Destiny and Division than classical MMOs. In fact, the devs are trying something new and not being constrained by old MMO trappings. It is the MMO sites that are trying to call them MMOs.

Personally i care less what they are called. They sound like fun games.

Originally posted by JustARandomPanda

+1

What a breath of fresh air the opening post is...especially for mmorpg forums. Usually there's griping or doom and gloom about a specific mmo or mmos in general. Wish the mmorpg forums were more balanced between negative and positive threads/posts - other mmo forums/sites don't seem to have this imbalance as dominant as this site does.

Thanks for contributing back toward balance in these forums.

My pleasure.

It is funny that, on a MMORPG forums, most are just ranting about MMOs, and few would talk about how they enjoy them. And if they do, they got flamed.

A strange world indeed.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    tsw is mainstream? something new i learned today
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Gratz on the fun. It is awfully nice to have so many F2P games to choose from.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Vapors
    tsw is mainstream? something new i learned today

Everything is mainstream...until the time it's useful to say it isn't.

Originally posted by ignore_me
    Gratz on the fun. It is awfully nice to have so many F2P games to choose from.

Actually it is even better.

Not only many games are F2P, some have unique settings that you cannot find in SP games. STO and Marvel Heroes are good examples. If you want a star trek RPG, STO is it, MMO or not, f2p or not.