Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I keep hearing "All we want is EQ1 with updated graphics"

KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116
Really? you guys are all lying to yourselves.  EQ1 was good because of how new and different and challenging it was compared to anything most of us had ever played before.  Speaking as an EQ fan since 99 who like most people quit when luclin was released, I don't want a rehash of a game I've already put 100's if not 1000's of hours in to  It would be SO boring!  What happen when everyone tried to make a wow clone? they all failed.  Why would you want a clone of EQ1?  The logic just isn't there.  As long as EQN is challenging and is something NEW and DIFFERENT it will be fun. EQ1 2.0 would not be fun.  Feel free to tell me I'm wrong and why, love to hear everyones input.

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

Comments

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Logic has nothing to do with what EQ1 fans want. Reason is a close second.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    It would be incredibly easy for SOE to take all their advancements and make a true EQ1 successor from it.  It will never happen because though EQN will not be a WoW clone, its moving in the same trivial direction and will be the antithesis of Everquest1.

• AdrazahnAdrazahn Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    It would be incredibly easy for SOE to take all their advancements and make a true EQ1 successor from it.  It will never happen because though EQN will not be a WoW clone, its moving in the same trivial direction and will be the antithesis of Everquest1.

If EQ1 players were open to anything new, they wouldn't still be playing EQ1.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    I don't mind if it's different I think, as long as it's not DPS faceroll without community.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

What you are missing is people want a challenge. Not a game that you dunk 50 bucks into and can be max level within a week or 2. Thats what EQ1 was. A challenge. I dont care what game gets made, or what it is named, if it actually challenges me, then I am in.

It is true that the boat for EQ1 has sailed and no one wants those graphics. BUT people want that challenge, teamwork, and consequence for your actions.

• KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by moguy2

What you are missing is people want a challenge. Not a game that you dunk 50 bucks into and can be max level within a week or 2. Thats what EQ1 was. A challenge. I dont care what game gets made, or what it is named, if it actually challenges me, then I am in.

It is true that the boat for EQ1 has sailed and no one wants those graphics. BUT people want that challenge, teamwork, and consequence for your actions.

Did you read my OP?  How am i missing that people want challenge when i mentioned it in my ORIGINAL POST.

/facepalm

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by moguy2

While I don't disagree with you on the challenge aspect.

That isn't what the OP is missing. People are straight up just plain old whining about EQN not being what they wanted.

What they PERCEIVED should be EQN isn't matching up.

You can't deny there is a bit of nostalgia here for good ol days long gone.

Also how can you talk about the challenge of the game when no one has played it? I think there will be a challenge here and they did mention consequence of your actions. Only time will tell how challenging the game truly is.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110

I wanted EQ1 with more sandboxy elements and updated graphics.  The building stuff is cool.  So is the emergent AI and the world quests.

Didn't want the cartoony graphics, double jumping, multiclassing the way it is offered, horizontal over vertical progression, LOL/GW2 style action/twitch combat, the removal of dungeon grinding/camping, or some of the other stuff that seems neat but will probably get old quick (multi-layered world and destructibility of everything).

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Kamofila
    Really? you guys are all lying to yourselves.  EQ1 was good because of how new and different and challenging it was compared to anything most of us had ever played before.  Speaking as an EQ fan since 99 who like most people quit when luclin was released, I don't want a rehash of a game I've already put 100's if not 1000's of hours in to  It would be SO boring!  What happen when everyone tried to make a wow clone? they all failed.  Why would you want a clone of EQ1?  The logic just isn't there.  As long as EQN is challenging and is something NEW and DIFFERENT it will be fun. EQ1 2.0 would not be fun.  Feel free to tell me I'm wrong and why, love to hear everyones input.

They don't want a perfect copy of EQ1 with updated graphics. They want a game with the spirit of EQ1 but updated graphic, updated mechanics(improved housing, better ui, improved chat/guild systems and other developments of the last decade) and a few fixes for interesting stuff that got added but had flaws because the orginal game was never developed with theese features in mind. A few improvements or new stuff like the imergent AI or the destructible world are surely welcome but they wouldn't be the ones that realy matter(they make a good game perfect but won't make a moderate game realy good).

A lore reboot is possible as well but it should at least fit to EQ1 and should respect some of the popular things.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I agree OP,just like everything in life,keeping it fresh keeps it successful.That is why manufacturers do simple things like change a label on their product.

Nobody wants to be bored of a game and go look at another game doing the exact same thing.That is why when i get bored i play something totally different,has nothing to do with graphics.However i do need to have at least acceptable graphics,if they are done in a way that turns me off,i am not playing that game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Most people didn't quit when luclin launched.

Luclin launch 2001

Peak population 2004...

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I'm all for them trying something different, and it seems like they are. My only concern is it's going to end up being an extremely casual experience that becomes mind numbing after the first week.

Those red circles I saw in the debut video were disheartening. I'm all for action combat, but don't hand hold players through fights by showing you where and when a mob is going to attack with "don't stand here" circles. Let players figure that kind of thing out through trial and error/studying a mobs behaviors.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

Part of the lure to EQ was that when you got something, Max level, new armor, Epics. It really meant something. IMO we have lost that. Everyone has a sence of entitlement that they want there max level without having to work to hard, We all get to have purple epic armor, without having to work to hard. Epic quests, well they arnt really epic.

How many people here know what a hell level was? How many people here know what it was to wait for a epic mob to spawn that you waited 2 or 3 days to spawn, so you could then call all of your guild members (yes we actually talked to each other in RL) becuase we had to have ALOT of people to kill this 1 mob for a piece of what ever for your epic quest that really did take a LONG time to complete.

How did it feel to get that first piece of armor from Thurgedon that you and your guild had died over & over again to get (damm those giants)

Thats the difference. Nothing was handed to us. You had to work for it. It took time and alot of work. But there are 2 problems now.

1. We the gamers have changed what we want. Really we can only blame our selfs.

2. This is a buissness, SOE like everyone else is trying to make money. For the most part will do what the general public wants and that goes back to #1.

For many of us that did EQ back in the day. Its unrealistic now to play that way. Im now a father and i cant spend 16 hours straight trying to level my cleric in Seb for almost 1/3 of a level. I dont think the gaming comunity in general is willing to do this. BUT that is what we remember and miss.

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Adrazahn
    Originally posted by Dullahan

If EQ1 players were open to anything new, they wouldn't still be playing EQ1.

I never thought about it this way... it makes sense now to me.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by Yilelien

Part of the lure to EQ was that when you got something, Max level, new armor, Epics. It really meant something. IMO we have lost that. Everyone has a sence of entitlement that they want there max level without having to work to hard, We all get to have purple epic armor, without having to work to hard. Epic quests, well they arnt really epic.

How many people here know what a hell level was? How many people here know what it was to wait for a epic mob to spawn that you waited 2 or 3 days to spawn, so you could then call all of your guild members (yes we actually talked to each other in RL) becuase we had to have ALOT of people to kill this 1 mob for a piece of what ever for your epic quest that really did take a LONG time to complete.

How did it feel to get that first piece of armor from Thurgedon that you and your guild had died over & over again to get (damm those giants)

Thats the difference. Nothing was handed to us. You had to work for it. It took time and alot of work. But there are 2 problems now.

2. This is a buissness, SOE like everyone else is trying to make money. For the most part will do what the general public wants and that goes back to #1.

For many of us that did EQ back in the day. Its unrealistic now to play that way. Im now a father and i cant spend 16 hours straight trying to level my cleric in Seb for almost 1/3 of a level. I dont think the gaming comunity in general is willing to do this. BUT that is what we remember and miss.

I will say this I agree 100% with what your saying people can blame WoW all they want but Blizzard changed the game because of all the grips about this and that. SOE changed there game from what it was to what it is now because of the success of blizzard and figured if they did it so can we. And then EQ2 became Wow 2.0 and so on but thats not cause they wanted to they were following what worked.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Luclin changed EQ quite a bit. You might even say it became EQ 1.5 at that stage in the game. Same with several other large expansions for the game.

Nobody here expected an EQ 1.5, but many vets expected to find some mechanics, classes, environments, difficulty etc to be familiar.

I know I was hoping for  a very deep character customization and crafting system and interesting faction impacts in the game. Looks like I am going to get these things for sure. The classes I know will obviously be different and alot more will be introduced. The environments will have familiar names and such...but will of course have a new look and may even partly be built by players. The difficulty I think will be there, as this part is easy to tweak as needed.

The mechanics are what I think many EQ vets are a little troubled by.

For instance....

Are there going to be raids? If so how many players in a raid.

Are there going to be things players cast or skills they use that will be helpful to other players in a group (heals/shields/hots/ports/speed increase/haste/shrink/wolf form/grow/levitate/invis/see invis etc.

These things really made player contributions to a group/raid/ the game world in general....feel needed and important.

We at this stage don't really know how players will be working together in groups yet....and maybe it's this lack of info that is driving some of the negative comments since it is very easy to draw a direct---------line to -------->Guildwars 2 which the Devs made a direct comparison to, which to EQ vets fell short of the depth we were all hoping for from ANY product with the name EQ associated with it.

• supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68

Why do people keep rehashing this lousy argument? First of all, no one was expecting this to be a remake. Secondly, most EQ "players" I know (myself included) aren't opposed to change. We just don't like the direction of the genre and how developers have abandoned all the qualities that make them worth playing.

And it's dishonest to say "Everquest Next wasn't made for EQ players" when they're using the Everquest name, an established and popular IP to attract players.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by supertouchme
    Why do people keep rehashing this lousy argument? First of all, no one was expecting this to be a remake. Secondly, most EQ "players" I know (myself included) aren't opposed to change. We just don't like the direction of the genre and how developers have abandoned all the qualities that make them worth playing.

But Reallynow10 said most EQ vets just want an updated EQ1...see

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/392582/All-old-school-EQ-players-really-wanted.html

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

All of that "good ol' days" stuff doesn't sound like it was very fun.  The end result might have been but getting there was chore, to put it mildly.  I'd rather get kicked in the nuts a few times than do all of that.  As for spending 16 hours a day playing, thats full retard right there.  Only cat ass no lifers have time for that.  I'm almost 40, not married, have no children and pretty much an anti-social hermit but even I wouldn't do that.  Sorry to break it to you but the days of poop socking your way to victory in MMOs is over.  Thank God.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68
    I probably wouldn't use the camping model again, but EQ did a lot of things right that modern games won't even explore. The problem is that developers are now on the other extreme and making everything convenient and readily accessible.
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

EQ1 is GETTING updated graphics. Did you see the EQ/EQ2 keynote, great graphics are coming. 

I will also state that all I ever heard was how graphics do not matter and how EQ was superior, bla bla. You have EQ, it IS getting updated graphics, so keep playing it if that is what you want :)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Sorry, but games with hardships like EQ1 will NEVER return as Triple A titles. You can wish that, and whatever you think about it, that target audience is simply WAY too small to justify a many million dollar MMO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Ginaz

All of that "good ol' days" stuff doesn't sound like it was very fun.  The end result might have been but getting there was chore, to put it mildly.  I'd rather get kicked in the nuts a few times than do all of that.  As for spending 16 hours a day playing, thats full retard right there.  Only cat ass no lifers have time for that.  I'm almost 40, not married, have no children and pretty much an anti-social hermit but even I wouldn't do that.  Sorry to break it to you but the days of poop socking your way to victory in MMOs is over.  Thank God.

Haha, Amen bro, Amen! :D

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by dejoblue

EQ1 is GETTING updated graphics. Did you see the EQ/EQ2 keynote, great graphics are coming. 

I will also state that all I ever heard was how graphics do not matter and how EQ was superior, bla bla. You have EQ, it IS getting updated graphics, so keep playing it if that is what you want :)

True, stop crying an go play your favorite game. Funny I played some on EQ and years of  EQ2, if I come to miss those games I will most likely subscribe again. 

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283
    I'm not really getting this even from the negative reactions. I think there are specific things that the old EQ crowd wanted to see in EQNext, some of which they won't be getting and lot of which are up in the air. But mostly I think lots of folks are understandably confused hearing about what appears to be an innovative game with insufficient information. And there's some mixed messaging coming out as well - like the fact that combat sure looks like GW2 combat, even though that's supposedly only superficial. We really just need more info more than anything.