Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Civilization Online: It's Real, and It's Happening

Comments

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Any1 know if the map and ages reset when some1 wins? Like they did in Pirates of the Burning Sea for instance?

Yes. Masivelly article goes more in depth into it

.Every  session starts with your civilization only being able to access certain distance of the map and every week the game will auto-generate new parts of the map slowly connecting the whole world together. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by Fratman

"Do not worry the game will be broken up into sessions (think of “Tales” in A Tale in the Desert, and you’ve got the right idea). There are various victory conditions set into the game which allow one of the cultures to win a session. When this happens, you will start over again in a new session."

No thanks.

Im not sure about this. I guess there was some reason that they chose this option rather than building a persistent world for players to manipulate as they saw fit from 5000 BC to future eras. I would be much more interested if it were a persistent world where the players worked to unlock new techs in order to advance their preferred civ through the ages. 

• GotterdammerGotterdammer Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Yuui
    Any1 know if the map and ages reset when some1 wins? Like they did in Pirates of the Burning Sea for instance?

.Every  session starts with your civilization only being able to access certain distance of the map and every week the game will auto-generate new parts of the map slowly connecting the whole world together. 

It would be pretty awesome if the amount of territory gained was related to the amount of culture the players created during that week. :D

Originally posted by Gotterdammer
    Originally posted by Yuui

It would be pretty awesome if the amount of territory gained was related to the amount of culture the players created during that week. :D

Yeah its literally Civ game from unit perspective. you have to invent things, advance through ages, research useful skills, explore the terrain and expand via help of your nation's community. You do not automatically "gain" that territory that opens up - you just have access to it - whether you CAN build anything in it depends on your civ's resources(most likely culture) - and you won't know - maybe newly opened territory just connected you to another civilization ;]

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Ah, sounds interesting and potentialy fun. Let's hope it delivers...

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

When XL told us about this, I was like "How on Earth can they make this kind of turn-based 4X game work as an MMO?" When they told us how... I was blown away by the ambition.  It reminds me a lot of a AAA version of A Tale in the Desert, but with warfare and combat playing an integral role as well.  This game could really eat up a lot of my time if it all comes together.  

Release is TBA, by the way.

But did you poop yourself? That's the question Bill. ;)

Joined - July 2004

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Hopefully the AI isn't as bi-polar as it is in Civ V!!

We've been trading for thousands of years and are my greatest ally and now that you have done something that has nothing to do with me you must die!!! RAWR!!!!!

Only thing that seems confusing is the 3 cultures. Seems limiting for a Civ game.

Unless it changes every time?

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

When XL told us about this, I was like "How on Earth can they make this kind of turn-based 4X game work as an MMO?" When they told us how... I was blown away by the ambition.  It reminds me a lot of a AAA version of A Tale in the Desert, but with warfare and combat playing an integral role as well.  This game could really eat up a lot of my time if it all comes together.  

Release is TBA, by the way.

Is this coming out in Asia first? or the West first?

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• xerxaxxerxax Member Posts: 5

Reminds me a bit of the mechanic from the text-based "empire" from the late 80s:

http://www.wolfpackempire.com/description.html

• wunderkind44wunderkind44 Member Posts: 14
    This looks awesome! Let the new age for the genre begin!!! 
    Originally posted by MondoA2J

Hopefully the AI isn't as bi-polar as it is in Civ V!!

We've been trading for thousands of years and are my greatest ally and now that you have done something that has nothing to do with me you must die!!! RAWR!!!!!

Only thing that seems confusing is the 3 cultures. Seems limiting for a Civ game.

Unless it changes every time?

THere's no AI(apart from maybe animals and all that stufF) - every civilization is player run. 

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Sounds really good.

I just hope they won't make it P2W game. A sub only server without cash shop, or some other means to make sure the race is about who plays best, not who pays most, please.

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    I like the sound of it so far ... cautiously optimistic :)

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Interesting...I'd like to know how the servers are set up, and if you can come along and join a server/game that has already passed through the first age or two. Hmm I guess I'd like to know how long a "normal" game would last before victory and reset. Sounds like if you log in one day, and miss a week, you'll log back in at the same time period - even with the first one finishing and being reset!

Maybe the game has factions as servers, like 5 pickable "servers" for reach faction, and the game places them against one another and then rotates based on leader score?

Looking forward for more information.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Interesting... But I am not 100% sure that changing stuff with CIVs invention really would work in a MMO.

MMOers kinda like their gear and when you reset the game back to the stone age the players will suddenly loose all they have worked for...

Then again, it also depends how long a cycle will be. A year real time might work, a month or less probably not. Imagine that you log out for 3 days and when you come back you would be a few hundred years after everyone else.

The crafting do sounds fun. :)

I will keep my eyes on this, I still play CIV VI: Cavemen2cosmos regularly and if they actually could bring the awesome game feeling into a MMO I am all in. 

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    It failed with Sim City.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    This could be great. I wasn't sure turnbased could work in multiplayer.
  • comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123
    I hope 2K is working on a Red Dead MMO
  • SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    So much potential, so much possibilities... for cash shop abuse :P
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Well the fact that 7-year-old Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War is still by far my favorite strategy game even after every Civ or AoE has me starting out in the negative with this one. But we will see, I'm always open-minded.

Isaiah 41:10
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

How is Civilization Online going to work as a MMO? Building a MMO is all about having a persistent world while civilization is about a changing world that has a definitive end point. When you reach that end point after watching 6000 years of human history fly by in a few hours there is a victory condition and the game ends. Don't get me wrong Civilization is a lot a fun and large scale multiplayer has a lot of possibilities but it is not an MMO because when someone gets nuclear weapons or builds a space station the game is pretty much over.

Would think the Total War Rome series would make a better MMO. It comes with better graphics and is a bit more sandboxy with how the game could end. If the map is so large nobody could conquer it all and the various player armies are fighting to a stalemate the game theoretically never ends. You could always just make the map bigger as new players are added.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    OMG another game I gotta look forward to!  This is one I will not, under any circumstance, miss out on.  They can mess this game up all they want, I'm still going to play it because I LOVED Civ while growing up.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by spawn12345

I love where the mmo genre is heading now!

Its good to see that devs are also tired of the same old shit

Yep, agree here, some fresh air! That's what MMO gender need!

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Just got done reading the interview, it sounds amazing what they want to do.  Oh my I'm now all of a sudden more hyped for this game than any other games, even over EQN & ESO.  Bringing the whole "just one more turn" into the MMO genre, this game is going to kill me.

Best part of it all is that it has been in development since 2010, which means it shouldn't be much longer until the beta & launch date.  So no more being hyped for 3-4 years waiting for a game, yay!!!

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• modusmodus Member UncommonPosts: 69

I've played hundred of hours in every single Civ game starting with the original (probably thousands on that one).  Sounds interesting, but I there will be no hype train for me.

Hope that they don't ruin the franchise like some other that  was important but far less important to me.