Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Civilization Online: It's Real, and It's Happening

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

One of my alltime favourite games is the Civ series !

But how on earth is this going to work in an MMO ? 0.o

Need MUCH more info before I go wild about this one...

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

"Do not worry the game will be broken up into sessions (think of “Tales” in A Tale in the Desert, and you’ve got the right idea). There are various victory conditions set into the game which allow one of the cultures to win a session. When this happens, you will start over again in a new session."

No thanks.

• scopy60scopy60 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    OMG THAT IS JUST .......WHAT THE HELL 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Great news that they're doing this and great news that one of the all time great computer gaming creative influences, Sid Meier is involved. Can't wait to see what innovations they come up with, but innovations will be there...you can bank on that when Sid is involved.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

I have been waiting for this since CIVILIZATION 2!

ITS ABOUT DAM TIME >:O!!

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I'm skeptical about this, however it is a definite watch to see how everything will work.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Verterdegete
    OMG... Cartoony graphics... Again.

Extremely realistic graphics are something to avoid if you're creating a game that you expect people to play, and pay for four, five or even ten years down the line. . The current 'realistic' graphics at any given time are usually nothing more than just an emphasis on the current tech - bump maps, water effects, self-shadowing, cloth animations, more betterer water, etc. When the new tech or new fad comes in, the older graphics really start to show their age. Most MMOs that are several years old either look it or have had several engine updates along to way to combat that.

This isn't only in the game industry. It's an issue for Hollywood, too.Pixar can rake in gobs of cash time and again, and  kids can watch Cars for the umpteen millionth time almost a decade later, but it gets kind of painful trying to watch the more realistic-looking Final Fantasy movies right now.  For example, watch Advent Children and Monster Inc and you can see both focused an inordinate amount of camera time on watching hair move.

The more stylised or cartoon-ish the graphics are, the longer they stand the test of time. It safeguards against those who will reject a work because of the tech used.

EDIT: Clarity

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by Verterdegete
    OMG... Cartoony graphics... Again.

The screenshots dont look that cartoony

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158
    This just sounds to good be true. fk, im getting hyped and I dont like it :P"
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    If Meier was going to be directly involved, this might be something to get excited about. But Song is in charge and I believe the only interaction with Meier was his approval of the general plan for it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I never got to play any of the CIV versions,i was busy playing the Microsoft AGE of Empires series instead.

I do love these types of games,always figured a sim sort of idea would work great in a MMORPG.

Although i never played CIV,i always wanted to and it was a well appreciated game among the gaming community.

I am sure it will receive the same recognition that CIV did and i am sure it will be a success even in a flooded market.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I loved A Tale in the Desert (except for the weird social tasks needed to advance), and enjoyed the earlier versions of Civilization (before the discovery of MMORPG's and Internet). Combining seems difficult, very difficult, but I'm certainly keeping an eye on this title.
  • BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140
    when I first started reading I had my doubts, but now i'm interested to see how this turns out!  I love civ games and hope this one will be great!
  • SnapabowlSnapabowl Member Posts: 1
    Not sure how I feel about this.  The idea intrigues me.  I'll keep my eyes out for more info, seems like something that could be interesting.  I'd just really like to see how they handle mixing the strategy and MMO genres.
  • HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

So, if you have a faction that really sucks, doesn't work together and progress... Can they be wiped out?  What happens to those of that wiped out faction?  Do you get to choose your faction?  What happens if most players want in faction A and nobody wants in faction F?

I'm very interested, but with questions.  The idea of a WINNING faction... interesting!

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Can we at least sign up to BETA now!!! Ive always wanted a CIV mmo and it seems the GODs have heard me. EQN just got some stiff competition. But I guess CIVO will come like a year after EQN. So I can fool around there first. :)
    Edit. Also, once a faction wins. Does it reset and start all over. Like they do with the maps in Pirates of the Burning Sea?
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by spookydom
    My intrest is peaked! This sounds really good on paper. I like the sound of the pvp elements, for me Civ games have always been nuking the crap out of Gandi while his faction still have bows and arrows ;) Waiting to see how this comes along. 

Piqued (stimulated) not peaked (reached the top and will be on decline from this point) - don't sweat it a very common mistakes even professional journalist slip up on this one.

Thank you very much. However, I notice that you did not spot that I spelled interest incorrectly. You are sacked as my editor henceforth! Good day to you sir! ;)

Well you spelled Gandhi wrong also, but who is counting :) No English class here ;)

And this sounds great, love the idea of a civ mmo, if done right. Could ruin the rep for civilization series if this is screwed up.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    O sweet heaven and hell!  Can't believe this! This is my favorite upcoming mmo!
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Wow, the FB Civ series bombed out.  Hopefully this will do a little better.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Ok. First of all i love Civilization.. it is really the only game i keep playing since 2 decades. So my hopes for this are high.

Hopefully they plan ahead to release this game worldwide at the same time. I really don't like to see it released in korea and have to wait another 2 years.. like with ArcheAge or any other Korean game for that matter.

The last time i heard from that (http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/25/xlgames-developing-civilization-online-for-asia/ ) it was said it is exclusively for the asia market.. 

So now it will be developed for the international market? I really would like to know more information about it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Sounds like a job to me, no thanks, have one already.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    I had this game in a dream...can I sue? :-)
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Any1 know if the map and ages reset when some1 wins? Like they did in Pirates of the Burning Sea for instance?
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

I am skeptical.  Will have to see how it actually plays but definitely not going to hold my breath.

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Because we totally needed another TBS/RTS ruined by turning it in to a cartoony cash shop game.. The original damn game has a multiplayer function! WTF do we need an "MMO" for..

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.