Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused with the multi-class system

stormtidestormtide Member Posts: 7

I've been trying to find specific answers to this question.  If I choose a warrior as my base class and I unlock a wizard class later in the game, will I at any moment (outside of combat or otherwise) be able to swap to the wizard class and completely alter the armor/weapons/abilities/skills I use to effectively make myself an entirely different class?

If I this is the case I fear for the worst, because this would cause a total lack of identity.  I understand their want to remove the trinity (entirely different subject) for the causal crowd, but then to also enable you to be anyone at anytime and fill every roll is just to far.  I also feel that if this is the case many people, myself included will have a very hard time connecting to my character if at anytime I can just... well decide to be something else at that second.

I think the multi-class system could work great if there was some restriction.  If for example you choose a warrior as your base class and there are a set number of other heavy/medium armor wearing classes they could multi-class with.  I just don't believe being able to totally swap your class is a good for the game in the long run.

Comments

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    You could go to the EQN site and wade through the videos.. you might get a couple questions answered from the class panel video.. but they really aren't giving a ton of detail at this time.
  • possessed1possessed1 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I may be wrong, but to me it sounds like a mash up of GW2 (limited abilities at a time; combat) and the 'multi-class' sounds sorta like TSW -- unlock this class for it's abilities and swap that into your limited abilities HUD - provided you have the appropriate weapon equipped). I'm not so crazy about that idea....but I'll wait and see.
  • rosleckrosleck Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I think there has to be some kind of limit like in Rift. At least I hope so.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by DMKano

There are restrictions - we already know that you won't be able to be a paladin and a shadowknight due to polar opposite factions. 

Not disagreeing with you, but I believe what they said is that you "won't be able to progress Paladin and SK at the same time", not that you can't be.  I could be totally wrong though.  

There is still a lot left unsaid.  Someone mentioned that there is a "primary" class.  I didn't hear this mentioned in the panels, but it does make sense due to the fact that the way you use your weapon is based on your class, so if you're running (non-weapon) abilities from 4 different classes, the game has to have some way of deciding which of those classes your weapon abilities are based on.    

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550
    i'm pretty sure i remeber then saying that while questing as one class you could put points or exp into another class.  The point of choosing tha base class was for the offense/defense/and utility slot counts.  Armor isnt really supposed to have stats on it from what i heard, it only effects those abilities.  the example they gave was say you wanted to be a warr that teleports then uses whirlwind but doign so would cost too much energy.  so you would got quest/find a ring that lowers all teleport ability costs so that you can infact use both teleport and whirlwind as a warr.
  • trinixtrinix Member UncommonPosts: 51

I think it works like this. But I could be totally wrong here.

You start by choosing a class. The class you choose will decide what kind of weapon abilities you will get. If you look at GW2 for example a thief with a short bow had different attacks than a ranger. So your 4 weapon abilities will depend on your weapon and class combo. 

Then every base class as you will have 4 extra slots. They can be one of 4 types. You have the offensive and defensive slots, the utility and the movement slots. You can put any skill from any class in these 4 slots, as long as you put movement skills in movement slots, offensive skills in offensive slots etc.

This way by playing a rogue with daggers, you probably have a sinister strike ability, a backstab, a throw dagger and a dot skill for example on your weapon slots. For your extra slots, you can choose 4 skills. 2 have to be utility skills like stealth and 2 have to be offensive skills.

And that's all I got from the video, maybe someone understands it a bit better and can help out as well.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

You absolutely can swap your base class, and I agree that it will cause identity problems. You might look like the base you, but you'll be dressed in armor that suits your class.

The system reminds me a lot of GW1, which had multi class. (dual class) In that game your whole look would change.

One of the questions I asked was whether you could be a warrior with no warrior skills, and the answer was that the weapon skills would be warrior skills automatically, but that you could have 4 non-warrior skills in the selectable slots. The warrior has 1 movement and 3 attack? I'm not sure of that but that's what I think. They said that you could also be a wizard with only warrior skills.

I was thinking that it might be good to play a Warrior for the added AC and HP, and then slot up with the class skills you like. I'm not at all sure that would work.

Asdar

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

more details are needed

what I understood from the class panel

- you dont have to multiclass

- you have the option to apply experience to classes you unlocked but are not using

- you the option to create a custom class, borrowing from skills of classes you unlocked, and name your custom class

• Lano88Lano88 Member Posts: 2

You are going to have the ability to tailor almost every aspect  of your character. Why on Norrath would anyone have trouble with their identity?

Its no different than in real life,  buy clothes, choose your friends, build a house and choose your profession.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by stormtide

I've been trying to find specific answers to this question.  If I choose a warrior as my base class and I unlock a wizard class later in the game, will I at any moment (outside of combat or otherwise) be able to swap to the wizard class and completely alter the armor/weapons/abilities/skills I use to effectively make myself an entirely different class?

If I this is the case I fear for the worst, because this would cause a total lack of identity.  I understand their want to remove the trinity (entirely different subject) for the causal crowd, but then to also enable you to be anyone at anytime and fill every roll is just to far.  I also feel that if this is the case many people, myself included will have a very hard time connecting to my character if at anytime I can just... well decide to be something else at that second.

I think the multi-class system could work great if there was some restriction.  If for example you choose a warrior as your base class and there are a set number of other heavy/medium armor wearing classes they could multi-class with.  I just don't believe being able to totally swap your class is a good for the game in the long run.

Hopefully this will address your concerns:

Class Panel 1

• Multi-class discussions at 12:35 and more elaboration at 16:11
    • Character abilities, making your own build, swapping classes and saving your build starts at 19:16

Class Panel 2 Q&A

• Multi-classing snippet 8:14
    • Potential for class/race restrictions to be discussed in Roundtable  10:50
    • Multi-classing is an option-->  can still play just one class  21:08

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is a weak version of the FFXI sub class system.It follows a lot closer to FFXIV but even more restrictive.

You can only advance the class that is your main.However as you unlock other classes you can add an ability from the others.There is a restriction based on your main as to what you can actually add.Example and offensive ability or healing and only a total of 4.You will be able to save builds for quick changes again FFXIV is doing this already.

They said there will not be a lot of choices,the same problem i had with FFXIV only EQN imo will have even less choice for abilities.

You have 4 main character choice boxes to fill and 4 other for a total of 8 choices for your character.Almost identical to NW if you ask me.Where it will be similar to GW2 is,i imagine that SOME or a few of those abilities will be AOE heals or AOE buffs and they might even do the double effect like Lunge in and get some free buff lol.

However and i have mentioned this long ago,in SOE games they tend to rehash the exact same ideas but give them a different name for a different class,so in reality,they never really had a lot of variable choice in the past either.

To make it even worse on the limitation,they are trying to spin ITEMS,that we already have in EVERY game as being able to further expand your character.

There is one more but yet to be known or released to us,i suspect it will be an AA tree.

IMO SOE is making HUGE strides on what they are used to doing,but with the limitations they are ruining their ability to move forward in class creativity/design.I think the ONLY reason dev teams don't copy the best design ever which is FFXI's is because it takes TOO much work and effort and most teams are looking for ways to do less effort.Example in this system,if they only create 20-30 total choices and give each player say 7-7 boxes,that does not leave a lot to creativity differences between players,but limiting you to 4-4 sort of allows them to get away with making less abilities.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• r0guyr0guy Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by godzilr1
    i'm pretty sure i remeber then saying that while questing as one class you could put points or exp into another class.  The point of choosing tha base class was for the offense/defense/and utility slot counts.

Without speculating, and going by what they said in the class panels.

You have 4 abilities per weapon (x 2 weapons per primary class) then a given combination of 4 offense/defense/utitility/movement slots where you can put in whichever abilities from any class you want.

Being warrior as primary won't be the same as being a mage due to the weapons they can use. Warriors will always have 2 sets of 4 melee weapon skills and the mage will have 2 sets of ranged skills. "Primary" only means wich look/animations and wich 2 weapon abilities sets you get. It's also pointing out, to avoid confusion, that a 2 handed sword on say a warrior, and a 2 handed sword on a tempest don't give the same "weapon abilities" or animations.

Also If an intitial rogue discovers the mage class and an initial warrior discovers the mage class and they switch to mage mid-game, they will be identical to someone who initially rolled a mage. The only difference is that they'll have extra abilities to switch in and out in their offense/defense/utility/movement slots. Each class will need to be leveled up independently, so if you're a high tier warrior and you switch to a ranger, you're not automatically a high tier ranger, even though the warrior doesn't have to play his ranger to level it up, wich kinda sounds like Planetside certifications. When and where you can't customize or change your class is TBA.

It's good to point out, that Dave Georgeson was lead designer on Planetside 1, and in that game (initially at least), you had a 24hour cooldown on changing "classes". In that game, aircraft pilots were aircraft pilots and identified themselves as aircraft pilots. It just allowed for more experimentation.

• r0guyr0guy Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Wizardry

You can only advance the class that is your main.However as you unlock other classes you can add an ability from the others.There is a restriction based on your main as to what you can actually add.Example and offensive ability or healing and only a total of 4.You will be able to save builds for quick changes again FFXIV is doing this already.

This is completely and utterly wrong. You need to actually watch the class panels first before saying things like this.

• trinixtrinix Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by r0guy

This is completely and utterly wrong. You need to actually watch the class panels first before saying things like this.

Indeed, such a shame when someone just askes a question, someone has to throw in this kind of salt to make it taste bad. Wizardry, please don't try to make people join another game when they are only asking a question. That's rude.

They said a lot of options not limited, there are countless abilities that are unique throughout the EQ universe not all the same, it's really just a rant from a player that got burned.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

It is a weak version of the FFXI sub class system.It follows a lot closer to FFXIV but even more restrictive.

They said there will not be a lot of choices,the same problem i had with FFXIV only EQN imo will have even less choice for abilities.

You have 4 main character choice boxes to fill and 4 other for a total of 8 choices for your character.Almost identical to NW if you ask me.Where it will be similar to GW2 is,i imagine that SOME or a few of those abilities will be AOE heals or AOE buffs and they might even do the double effect like Lunge in and get some free buff lol.

However and i have mentioned this long ago,in SOE games they tend to rehash the exact same ideas but give them a different name for a different class,so in reality,they never really had a lot of variable choice in the past either.

To make it even worse on the limitation,they are trying to spin ITEMS,that we already have in EVERY game as being able to further expand your character.

There is one more but yet to be known or released to us,i suspect it will be an AA tree.

IMO SOE is making HUGE strides on what they are used to doing,but with the limitations they are ruining their ability to move forward in class creativity/design.I think the ONLY reason dev teams don't copy the best design ever which is FFXI's is because it takes TOO much work and effort and most teams are looking for ways to do less effort.Example in this system,if they only create 20-30 total choices and give each player say 7-7 boxes,that does not leave a lot to creativity differences between players,but limiting you to 4-4 sort of allows them to get away with making less abilities.

I'd suggest you watch the class panels as you seem to have a lot of misinformation here.  In addition to the time stamps I listed above, you may want to pay attention to:

Class Panel 2 Q&A

On choices for build/slots/swapping -->  lots of choice and room  26:16

Your other speculative concerns are covered in my above post.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by stormtide

Simple answer: Yes.

Anyone can be anything at anytime. Each class has specific armor and weapons. So if you go from warrior to wizard your physical appearance would change and your 4 main attack skills. Your secondary 4 skills can be either all warrior all wizard or a mix.

So you can be known as a good warrior and bad wizard depending on your skill as both.

Templates will allow us to save our builds so it is quick and easy. 

If you want to be known as the best warrior ever, you can do that. Hopefully people would know you by name/rep and general racial looks instead of your armor.

Then again, I'm hoping all my class templates have a similar feel to them. Customization sounds deep and hopefully all my characters can be a particular look instead of having a evil looking necro and a happy looking bard. 

Starting class had no impact on future class access. It is just a way to start game with some skills instead of nothing. The starting 8 are equal and part of the remaining 40+ pool of classes.

• BossOfThisGymBossOfThisGym Member UncommonPosts: 34

Well it's not like you can switch the class at will. It doesn't meant you can change from warrior to wizard and still wearing plate armor, or you gain benefit of being swift from tempest and transfer it to your cleric

It would be long to explain you about class system (multi-class, keywords) I recommend you to check see http://www.everquestnextclasses.net/ to get rid of your confusion.

This discussion has been closed.