Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why was this game constantly compared to EQN?

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Over the last 4 days this game was crammed down my throat over in the EQN forums. With all types of comparisons. I have not been watching this game. Didn't care about the game. Now obviously its been forced into my awareness. Naturally I started looking at it. 

So I come back and ask why? Why was this game used as a comparison? It's obvious the fans were pretty rabbid  in their comparisons. However I'm not seeing this game as being even in the same ballpark. It's like comparing football with baseball. And quite frankly from what I have now watched and seen from both. I will say bring on EQN. Because this game is just more of the same.

So why did the fans over here think it was necessary to make a bunch of comparisons when this is a WOW clone and EQN is going into a completely different  direction. Full of possible true next gen  features. Note I did say possible.

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Why?

because both are MMos in final stages of development, and people see a lot of things they like in both games, but also a lot of things done smarter in one of the two....

people would just love to have the best of both worlds, but where EQN might shine in world design, TESO will have the better combat system... ( personal opinion ) and many people can see why, TESO is build around the trinity but giving people the freedom to change roles in real time, where EQN followed the GW2 track but with even less freedom...

its only natural for people to compare them, tough on mmo boards comparing ends mostly in bashing as there is no respect for other peoples opinions.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Additionally you'll see them both compared to FFXIV, Wildstar, since they are also new titles on the scene. And as always, they'll all be compared to WOW for one reason or another.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Why?

because both are MMos in final stages of development, and people see a lot of things they like in both games, but also a lot of things done smarter in one of the two....

people would just love to have the best of both worlds, but where EQN might shine in world design, TESO will have the better combat system... ( personal opinion ) and many people can see why, TESO is build around the trinity but giving people the freedom to change roles in real time, where EQN followed the GW2 track but with even less freedom...

its only natural for people to compare them, tough on mmo boards comparing ends mostly in bashing as there is no respect for other peoples opinions.

Ummm what?? EQN has only showed a glimpse so far. And your saying you like the combat better in one? Are you a time traveller or something? Because they only showed a few short videos of some combat , but didnt show the UI. Both look action oriented but its impossible to tell which ones combat is going to be more fun. So exactly how are you forming that opinion? Unless of coarse you really are a time traveller..hmmmm??

This whole role argument has been done to death. EQN definately  has classes with roles,  much more so than GW2  from what was shown and discussed by the devs. Even so much as a class designed through choices made by a player to specialize in fighting magic users.

While I enjoy the trinity. I love playing tanks.  The possibility of the system that's being created in EQN if they get it right could be amazing.  GW2 got alot of comparisons as well. A game I also enjoy and am currently playing. I can see why some complain about the system, it can be chaotic. If SOE uses a system like it but can tweak it with classes that can have a more defined role. Which looks to be what they are doing. I think it could replace the trinity...IF its done right..

However comparing  yet another WOW clone to something that could very well change the foundations of how MMOs are made in the future. It's not even a fair comparison. Granted  EQN could fall flat and fail to deliver.  However I  will take my chances. The TESO Fans are the ones responsible for even getting my attention. So now I am just responding back.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Additionally you'll see them both compared to FFXIV, Wildstar, since they are also new titles on the scene. And as always, they'll all be compared to WOW for one reason or another.

It's called word of mouth marketing and the MMORPG world is deadly efficient at it :)

• psychosiszzpsychosiszz Member UncommonPosts: 45

Theres not alot to compare. EQN is a sandbox game and ESO is a linear theme park game. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

"WOW clone" lol. But, but... in the Gospel According to Smed, WOW was just an EQ clone...

Hmm... that might explain the influx of bitter new visitors to this forum: they were expecting EQ but better and instead just got the "better" part.

BTW, OP, you're just showing your ignorance about this game. Do some reading first... here, I'll help:  http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

We're not responsible for what goes on in the EQN forum nor what people there try to "shove down your throat." You got a beef over there? Go fight it over there.

WOW clone... ouch? (not!)

PS. I intend to play both this and EQN.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Over the last 4 days this game was crammed down my throat over in the EQN forums. With all types of comparisons. I have not been watching this game. Didn't care about the game. Now obviously its been forced into my awareness. Naturally I started looking at it. 

So I come back and ask why? Why was this game used as a comparison? It's obvious the fans were pretty rabbid  in their comparisons. However I'm not seeing this game as being even in the same ballpark. It's like comparing football with baseball. And quite frankly from what I have now watched and seen from both. I will say bring on EQN. Because this game is just more of the same.

So why did the fans over here think it was necessary to make a bunch of comparisons when this is a WOW clone and EQN is going into a completely different  direction. Full of possible true next gen  features. Note I did say possible.

All I can tell you is ESO is going to be better than EQN, just saying. Tell Tony the Tiger I said hai!

Boy have we heard that before about upcoming games that are squaring off in public view. I will not claim one will be better than the other.  Because unlike the fanbase here I don't have time travel powers, or have the audacity to make such bold claims. However if I do see Tony the Tiger running around I will be sure to tell him that a TESO player said hello.

Originally posted by Iselin

"WOW clone" lol. But, but... in the Gospel According to Smed, WOW was just an EQ clone...

Hmm... that might explain the influx of bitter new visitors to this forum: they were expecting EQ but better and instead just got the "better" part.

BTW, OP, you're just showing your ignorance about this game. Do some reading first... here, I'll help:  http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

We're not responsible for what goes on in the EQN forum nor what people there try to "shove down your throat." You got a beef over there? Go fight it over there.

Yaa... Umm I read that site already. You guys can try to deny it all you like but  it's still a WOW clone. Sure it may have its on tweaks just like the countless other quest grinding go out and kill 20 mob style games that have tried to follow in the 800 maybe now down to 600 lbs gorilla.  However even with all the tweaks it's still using the same core design philosophy.

Now that being said. WOW was a great game. I myself enjoyed it for about  a year and. A half but that was like what 9 years ago?  I've already lost count. But the horse has been beaten and beaten to death.   as for the whole it's an EQ clone comment. In all honesty I think it took alot more from Anarchy Online with its instancing and mission/quest system.

As for not being responsible for what's going on in the EQN forums on this site. The only reason I even looked at TESO  is due to so many of the games fans over in the EQN  forums singing praise  about this game and how it was so much better and that they would be playing this instead all the while bad mouthing EQN... so obviously I wanted to check out and see what all the hype and fuss was about and started looking into it. It was kind of disappointing to be honest. Anyway it left me wondering why so many comparisons were made as they are not alike. I one corner you have a game that's trying new things. In the other you have the same thing we have been seeing with So many other games.

Yaa... Umm I read that site already. You guys can try to deny it all you like but  it's still a WOW clone. Sure it may have its on tweaks just like the countless other quest grinding go out and kill 20 mob style games that have tried ton follow I the 800 maybe now down to 600 lbs gorilla.  However even with all the tweaks it's still using the same core design philosophy.

Now that being said. WOW was a great game. I myself enjoyed it for about  a year and. A half but that was like what 9 years ago?  I've already lost count. But the horse has been beaten and beaten to death.  

Land as for the whole it's an EQ clone comment. In all honesty I think it took alot more from Anarchy Online with its instancing and mission/quest system.

You missed my main point: "WOW clone" is an extremely over-used and empty phrase in the MMO world. It's about as informative as calling it "Nice" except with the opposite value judgement.

Every MMO, and I mean every single MMO, has features that are similar to what has come before- that is obvious and trivial. It's the things that are a little or a lot different that are interesting and worth discussing. That applies equally to EQN and this game... As a matter of fact, the first impression evoked by a casual look at the EQN graphics is exactly that, WOW.

Sure, the core gameplay differences in EQN are very unique and exciting... I've already congratulated SOE elsewhere for having the balls to drift that far from the norm. But saying that ESO is a WOW clone is either being actually or just willfully ignorant about the many ways this game is not like WOW.

"WOW clone" is just a tired cliche used simply by those trying to provoke a reaction... just like you're doing with this thread.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Yaa... Umm I read that site already. You guys can try to deny it all you like but  it's still a WOW clone. Sure it may have its on tweaks just like the countless other quest grinding go out and kill 20 mob style games that have tried ton follow I the 800 maybe now down to 600 lbs gorilla.  However even with all the tweaks it's still using the same core design philosophy.

Now that being said. WOW was a great game. I myself enjoyed it for about  a year and. A half but that was like what 9 years ago?  I've already lost count. But the horse has been beaten and beaten to death.  

Land as for the whole it's an EQ clone comment. In all honesty I think it took alot more from Anarchy Online with its instancing and mission/quest system.

You missed my main point: "WOW clone" is an extremely over-used and empty phrase in the MMO world. It's about as informative as calling it "Nice" except with the opposite value judgement.

Every MMO, and I mean every single MMO, has features that are similar to what has come before- that is obvious and trivial. It's the things that are a little or a lot different that are interesting and worth discussing. That applies equally to EQN and this game... As a matter of fact, the first impression evoked by a casual look at the EQN graphics is exactly that, WOW.

Sure, the core gameplay differences in EQN are very unique and exciting... I've already congratulated SOE elsewhere for having the balls to drift that far from the norm. But saying that ESO is a WOW clone is either being actually or just willfully ignorant about the many ways this game is not like WOW.

"WOW clone" is just a tired cliche used simply by those trying to provoke a reaction... just like you're doing with this thread.

This, and LOL at the irony the OP expressed throughout this thread...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

This, and LOL at the irony the OP expressed throughout this thread...

Actually there is no irony.. I asked a honest question.  TESO is a quest grinding instanced based theme park.. AKA  WOW clone in its basic core design. EQN  is not.. I came here asking why the comparisons were made over there and explained for my reasoning   Behind my question. 

Only one person has answered ... And that was you can't compare them.. Everyone else has gotten defensive.

Only one person has answered ... And that was you can't compare them.. Everyone else has gotten defensive.

Translation #1: only one person, for whom presumably the phrase "WOW clone" has deep meaning, has agreed with him.

Translation #2: disagreeing, pointing out ignorance, etc. = "defensive." 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Translation #1: only one person, for whom presumably the phrase "WOW clone" has deep meaning, has agreed with him.

Really your going to resort to personal attacks over a simple question? Are personal attacks even allowed on this forum?

Really your going to resort to personal attacks over a simple question? Are personal attacks even allowed on this forum?

Hmm personal attack? I can't see it. 

OTOH, this whole thread and your repeated use of the inflammatory phrase "WOW Clone" seems awfully close to trolling to me... is that permitted in this forum?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Personal attacks?? What where?? I missed it!! Was someone told? Bring on the comedy gold!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

OTOH, this whole thread and your repeated use of the inflammatory phrase "WOW Clone" seems awfully close to trolling to me... is that permitted in this forum?

It's an accepted terminology to describe game design, which is hardly inflammatory. By coming here and asking a question due to everything that  has transpired over the last several days is hardly trolling. I asked an honest question. Fans from this game spent the weekend making comparisons while bashing EQN. Which In turn peeked my curiosity about what was so much better with this game..Then To be called ignorant for it by you? And you claim you didn't ?

It's an accepted terminology to describe game design, which is hardly inflammatory. By coming here and asking a question due to everything that  has transpired over the last several days is hardly trolling. I asked an honest question. Fans from this game spent the weekend making comparisons while bashing EQN. Which In turn peeked my curiosity about what was so much better with this game..The. To be called ignorant for it by you? And you claim you didn't ?

If you read carefully, I never called you ignorant.

I did say that you were engaging in ignorance...as in the act of ignoring.

Calling you ignorant as a person would imply that I believe that you are permanently so and I don't think you are... and that would indeed have been an insulting personal attack.

What you are doing is willfully ignoring those things about ESO that make it different... aka being ignorant.

As to the motivation for you coming here and the honesty of your question, anyone who can read between the lines and has seen your participation in every other current thread in this forum since you started this thread would have to conclude that your motives are not as pure as you would like us to believe.

At any rate, your "question" has been asked and answered...move along.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

It's an accepted terminology to describe game design, which is hardly inflammatory. By coming here and asking a question due to everything that  has transpired over the last several days is hardly trolling. I asked an honest question. Fans from this game spent the weekend making comparisons while bashing EQN. Which In turn peeked my curiosity about what was so much better with this game..The. To be called ignorant for it by you? And you claim you didn't ?

If you read carefully, I never called you ignorant.

I did say that you were engaging in ignorance...as in the act of ignoring.

Calling you ignorant as a person would imply that I believe that you are permanently so and I don't think you are... and that would indeed have been an insulting personal attack.

What you are doing is willfully ignoring those things about ESO that make it different... aka being ignorant.

As to the motivation for you coming here and the honesty of your question, anyone who can read between the lines and has seen your participation in every other current thread in this forum since you started this thread would have to conclude that your motives are not as pure as you would like us to believe.

At any rate, your "question" has been asked and answered...move along.

Actually you have it in reverse. My researching the game spurred me into looking at the forums and got me involved in the forum topics. However I didn't want to get all involvd on your forum topics, so I then decided to just ask  a simple plain honest question. There is no reading between the lines. The only people who were trolling were the ones this last weekend.

As for the way you phrase something, if you don't want people to take offense. You shouldn't use offensive terminology. You changed the entire dialogue of this conversation, when you started making personal attacks.

• KappaKingKappaKing Member Posts: 4
    The main reason why these two games are being compared is because people don't know what they're talking about, and it's all too obvious from this thread alone.

Truth is, both these games are going to suck if you ain't 13 years old or enjoy using a tiny fraction of your brain. However, if you're the kind of gamer who enjoys the grown-up My little Pony experience, then these neo-MMOs are most likely for you! 
  • KappaKingKappaKing Member Posts: 4

Why?

because both are MMos in final stages of development,

Right.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

They are both big budget MMOs with recognizable names from established studios that we presumed were likely going to be released close to the same time.  However, given what was shown about SoE Live, I'd say EQ:N is not nearly as close to coming out as some of us assumed, and ESO will likely release far earlier than EQ:N does.

It's the same reason that in 2004 EQ2 and WoW were constantly mentioned together.

Originally posted by sirphobos

They are both big budget MMOs with recognizable names from established studios that we presumed were likely going to be released close to the same time.  However, given what was shown about SoE Live, I'd say EQ:N is not nearly as close to coming out as some of us assumed, and ESO will likely release far earlier than EQ:N does.

It's the same reason that in 2004 EQ2 and WoW were constantly mentioned together.

Yeah... all 4 of the big budget upcoming releases (FF, Wildstar, ESO, and EQN) are nicely spaced out now. Personally, I see that as a big win as I plan to sample at least 3 if not all of those.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Yeah... all 4 of the big budget upcoming releases (FF, Wildstar, ESO, and EQN) are nicely spaced out now. Personally, I see that as a big win as I plan to sample at least 3 if not all of those.

We all keep trying, till we find the right one,  to bad GW2 did not have more and better story as then i would still be playing it more... But then i am quite hapy jumping from free to free mmo and enjoying the best parts of every single one of them.

I am certainly going to try all of them to find the parts of each of them that i can really enjoy.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

We all keep trying, till we find the right one,  to bad GW2 did not have more and better story as then i would still be playing it more... But then i am quite hapy jumping from free to free mmo and enjoying the best parts of every single one of them.

I am certainly going to try all of them to find the parts of each of them that i can really enjoy.

Yeah. I still play GW2 now and then and went back to Rift when it went F2P... and then there are the single player games like Shadowrun Returns where I'm currently having a blast...

There's no shortage of fun to be had... which is the whole point that unfortunately some people here tend to forget when they start obsessing over design details... it's a fun hobby if you just manage to stay positive about it image

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    The Forums are for discussion of their respective games, not discussing how other people are posting about them.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.