Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think Storybricks will affect combat?

Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

If I killed the Goblin Cheif's son, will his rage make him harder and focus his attacks on me?

If the Bandit leader's wife just died, will he be easier to kill because he's sad and given up on life?

I know they said the AI is smart enough to not just keep attacking the guy in heavy armor who wants to be attacked and realize the rogue is stabbing him in the back and he'd better go get him first. But I wonder how far that goes.

Thoughts?

Comments

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Its great to theorycraft about stuff like this, but in the end, it is all up to how much detail they put into the script that goes into the AI.

After all, it is all computer code, and it can only go so far.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Storybricks was designed for players to make ever more complex npcs and quests, so i guess its the variations and complexity will start off more advanced than we've seen before and get more so as they figure out what else they can do with it. For once it will be limited by the devs imaginations, not so much the tech.

Of course it is still "just" code, but it's how it is put together and the degree of autonomy and capacity to react to the world around them that makes the difference.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

In the class panel I believe they have specifically said that emergent AI is why the traditional trinity won't work in their system.  So yes.  It is confirmed that Storybricks will indeed affect combat greatly.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by jdnyc

In the class panel I believe they have specifically said that emergent AI is why the traditional trinity won't work in their system.  So yes.  It is confirmed that Storybricks will indeed affect combat greatly.

Yes, the "trinity" as in the classes and the kind of roles they can have are still pretty much in there, it just won't be the rigid and static roles we are used to. This isn't taking the trinity out like GW2, but improving the game mechanics so that they over take the trinity's effectiveness.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm hoping they will use the StoryBricks mechanics to improve the combat scripts.

StoryBricks is supposed to enable NPC's to "remember" you or to act in certain ways depending on your ingame reputation. It also provides for routines that allow an NPC to "react" to events in the world.

That means they have to store their own data and act on it. Their scripts can therefore be coded dynamically to use current data. An orc may "look at" his attacker and decide to use a specific weapon or ability to maximise damage. He may "remember" that you just used an ability with a long cooldown, so you won't be doing that to him again in a hurry, etc.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Storybricks is part of the AI, I am not sure if that ties into actions but that being said, if you do things like killing the goblin kings son, they game will remember it and change how the world interacts with you. This does not remove the ability to make friends with the goblins but as said by David it would take twice as much work to do so then before you took the negative actions. Not sure if the AI will attack people for having worse faction. I think once you start a fight as a team the game will do a threat assessment and attack who will make it easier to win that fight.
  • irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

It seems plausible, and hopefully very likely they have tuned the system to work for combat as well.

The StoryBricks alpha, prior to getting money from SOE for EQN next, was pretty interesting for NPCs to have a quick method to create interactions with the world or story. 

I can imagine the same system can be tweaked if given enough time and money to influence combat by adding new variables specifically for combat such as combat style (Aggressive, defensive, hit and run, etc.), and other functions when the battle progresses. 

From what I've read about it, StoryBricks is not a true AI system really, its more of a quick way to network scripted variables that create a more AI like environment, and I am sure given time and enough input it will make for some incredibly immersive world where NPCs will seem to have AI.

I hope that SOE releases their EQN StoryBricks system for the Playerforge or Landmark to let each of us create NPC behavior, so if say 1,000, 000 players attempt making an NPC for the world and only 1% is game worthy we've just created 10,000 very fleshed out NPCs (Enemy, and Friendly) with likes, dislikes, history, and interactions in the world. Even if they dont let us make the NPC but contribute full NPC profiles for SOE to use for their NPCs. 

Originally posted by zevni78

Yes, the "trinity" as in the classes and the kind of roles they can have are still pretty much in there, it just won't be the rigid and static roles we are used to. This isn't taking the trinity out like GW2, but improving the game mechanics so that they over take the trinity's effectiveness.

They specifically said there will be no tank.  Tanking won't work in the game because of the AI.  No one player will be able to force a mob to attack them.  The mob will be too smart.  It will do a threat assessment among the group.

Interpret that what you will.

I just was thinking about something amusing, we know that EQN claims NPCs will remember your deeds and react accordingly using StoryBricks system.

Now imagine if sentient humanoid enemy NPCs with cowardly tendencies would also react based on your reputation. Imagine, like in most games you unlock the title "Goblin Slayer" after killing over 1000 goblins. The game takes that into account and some of the goblins you happen across dont aggro you but rather run away in fear, cower, and/or hide due to your gruesome reputation. You effectively are their boogie man lol.

That would be pretty impressive, but of course would need to be limited for gameplay sake...cant have all the enemies fleeing before out genocidal might lol.

Originally posted by krage

I just was thinking about something amusing, we know that EQN claims NPCs will remember your deeds and react accordingly using StoryBricks system.

Now imagine if sentient humanoid enemy NPCs with cowardly tendencies would also react based on your reputation. Imagine, like in most games you unlock the title "Goblin Slayer" after killing over 1000 goblins. The game takes that into account and some of the goblins you happen across dont aggro you but rather run away in fear, cower, and/or hide lol.

That would be pretty impressive, but of course would need to be limited for gameplay sake...cant have all the enemies fleeing before out genocidal might lol.

Love this idea.  You should submit it when we are able to the round table discussion.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Now imagine if sentient humanoid enemy NPCs with cowardly tendencies would also react based on your reputation. Imagine, like in most games you unlock the title "Goblin Slayer" after killing over 1000 goblins. The game takes that into account and some of the goblins you happen across dont aggro you but rather run away in fear, cower, and/or hide lol.

Love this idea.  You should submit it when we are able to the round table discussion.

Or, say you have a reputation for killing goblins and enter an area where they are.  One or two sees you, "knows" of your reputation, then runs back to their camp to get their friends to try and slaughter you out of blind hatred.

I think there is room for so many variables and formulations of faction and relationships.  I'm genuinely excited about this mechanic the most due to its potential impact on everyone's gaming experience.

Originally posted by Telondariel

Or, say you have a reputation for killing goblins and enter an area where they are.  One or two sees you, "knows" of your reputation, then runs back to their camp to get their friends to try and slaughter you out of blind hatred.

I think there is room for so many variables and formulations of faction and relationships.  I'm genuinely excited about this mechanic the most due to its potential impact on everyone's gaming experience.

Lol that be funny to watch as well, gonna be funny if NPCs put out bounties on players lol

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Now that would be a neat PvP mechanic, not that I'm advocating PvP in any way :)
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Deolus
    Now that would be a neat PvP mechanic, not that I'm advocating PvP in any way :)

PvP confirmed, only question now is what type =-)

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

Well in EQ2 once you get up in rank the NPC guards will salute you.  Mobs do cower to high level players.  Of course those probably have really simplistic code behind them.

Don't really see these A.I.'s turning into Skynet.  Or I hope they won't learn too much and turn into Skynet.  I can see it now:  the Orc king accesses a 3d printer and starts printing out an orc army to take over San Diego.

Originally posted by Andravius

Well in EQ2 once you get up in rank the NPC guards will salute you.  Mobs do cower to high level players.  Of course those probably have really simplistic code behind them.

Don't really see these A.I.'s turning into Skynet.  Or I hope they won't learn too much and turn into Skynet.  I can see it now:  the Orc king accesses a 3d printer and starts printing out an orc army to take over San Diego.

Ok Andravius, you need to stop posting on the forums right now...and immediately begin writing fiction based on that concept lol. 

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

It seems plausible, and hopefully very likely they have tuned the system to work for combat as well.

The StoryBricks alpha, prior to getting money from SOE for EQN next, was pretty interesting for NPCs to have a quick method to create interactions with the world or story. 

I can imagine the same system can be tweaked if given enough time and money to influence combat by adding new variables specifically for combat such as combat style (Aggressive, defensive, hit and run, etc.), and other functions when the battle progresses. 

From what I've read about it, StoryBricks is not a true AI system really, its more of a quick way to network scripted variables that create a more AI like environment, and I am sure given time and enough input it will make for some incredibly immersive world where NPCs will seem to have AI.

I hope that SOE releases their EQN StoryBricks system for the Playerforge or Landmark to let each of us create NPC behavior, so if say 1,000, 000 players attempt making an NPC for the world and only 1% is game worthy we've just created 10,000 very fleshed out NPCs (Enemy, and Friendly) with likes, dislikes, history, and interactions in the world. Even if they dont let us make the NPC but contribute full NPC profiles for SOE to use for their NPCs. 

thanks for posting that. i had been looking for info on storybricks and come up pretty much blank.

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

Story concept has already been done by an author that's far better than I: 

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1247766.Octagon

Don't remember much about the story, but my failing memory thinks it enjoyed itself.  Octagon is pretty much a proto-berserker story.