Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO: Guesstimated Mapsize

2»

Comments

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by ragz45
    You assume that TESO will be to the same scale as previous ES games.  Which by all reports isn't true.

The reports from beta testers whom are allowed a restricted area, then maybe. Please source this if you want to be taken seriously.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by ragz45
    From multiple accounts of people that have played the game, the game world is roughly the same size as SW:TOR & Rift.

Rift was the smallest mmo game world at release....  But if each of the three alliances is the size of the full rift world, and if th PvP grounds are the size of DAoCs PvP area, then i will be hapy

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• GoldmundGoldmund Member Posts: 8

The manual for Arena quotes a total area for Tamriel as 12 million square kilometers; however, from area analysis of the height maps in the other previous games, we have:

Skyrim: 119 x 94 TES4 size cells = 6.9km x 5.4km = 37.6 sq km

Cyrodiil: 134 x 129 TES4 size cells = 7.7km x 7.4km = 57 sq km

Morrowind: 84 x 88 TES4 size cells = 4.8km x 5km = 24 sq km

I too have heard in interview that Cyrodiil will be roughly the same scale as seen in Oblivion.  Just eyeballing the size of Cyrodiil with the rest of the map, it seems to be about two ninths of the total landmass.  So I estimate a total area to be around 412 square kilometers.  Subtract from that those areas that are underwater or excluded initially for the sake of kitty cat flu plague or whatever, and we get… Well, I don’t know.

Another thought: On a horse at full gallop that covers maybe 40 to 48 kilometers per hour, we might be able to cross the major length of Cyrodiil in about 10 to 12 minutes.  With each campaign of Cyrodiil designed to stage up to around 2000 players simultaneously, we may see a population density at peak times in pvp to be around 35 people per square kilometer.  Cluster those folks together for the sake of keeps and quests, and things should get pretty eventful.

On the other hand, I don’t really know anything about anything, so I’ll just run around wherever my guild leader tells me to and pew pew arrows into anything that glows red.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158

Here is the actual playable area of ESO, rather small if you ask me:

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Goldmund

The manual for Arena quotes a total area for Tamriel as 12 million square kilometers; however, from area analysis of the height maps in the other previous games, we have:

Skyrim: 119 x 94 TES4 size cells = 6.9km x 5.4km = 37.6 sq km

Cyrodiil: 134 x 129 TES4 size cells = 7.7km x 7.4km = 57 sq km

Morrowind: 84 x 88 TES4 size cells = 4.8km x 5km = 24 sq km

I too have heard in interview that Cyrodiil will be roughly the same scale as seen in Oblivion.  Just eyeballing the size of Cyrodiil with the rest of the map, it seems to be about two ninths of the total landmass.  So I estimate a total area to be around 412 square kilometers.  Subtract from that those areas that are underwater or excluded initially for the sake of kitty cat flu plague or whatever, and we get… Well, I don’t know.

Another thought: On a horse at full gallop that covers maybe 40 to 48 kilometers per hour, we might be able to cross the major length of Cyrodiil in about 10 to 12 minutes.  With each campaign of Cyrodiil designed to stage up to around 2000 players simultaneously, we may see a population density at peak times in pvp to be around 35 people per square kilometer.  Cluster those folks together for the sake of keeps and quests, and things should get pretty eventful.

On the other hand, I don’t really know anything about anything, so I’ll just run around wherever my guild leader tells me to and pew pew arrows into anything that glows red.

I allways tought that the elder scrolls playable area was rather small compared to MMOs.

mapsize does not say anything tough about how big a game is, because the distances between certain places might be scaled down... And as long as you dont know the scaling factor a full map does not tell you much.

i severely hope that ESO will have several zones for every level, giving people a choice where to play... But the way they decided to split up the world i think for 1 to 50 this might not be the case ... But as the 2 major other areas open up to you at max level it will be great..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)