Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call the ambulance WoW under 8 million subs now

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yeah, there are a LOT of assumptions being tossed around here.  Don't say anything criticizing WoW, I guess is the lesson.

Because it means you're too poor or you weren't in a quality guild, etc. etc.

lol.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I want titan honestly, or just any other good ground breaking P2P game.  I've done my service with WoW, heroic raids and the arena climb. Been there done that, blizzard give me something new on my plate.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    I want titan honestly, or just any other good ground breaking P2P game.  I've done my service with WoW, heroic raids and the arena climb. Been there done that, blizzard give me something new on my plate.  

considering that Blizzard have just scrapped Titan to rewrite it from scratch I wouldn't hold your breath.

I don't mean that in a negative way, just that the lifecycle of MMO's is 5 years

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Magicabbage
    OMG DOWN to 8 MILLION!! that's still more than 4 x the amount of ALL the MMOs currently on the market. Love it or hate it or love to hate it or hate that you once loved it. WoW isn't going anywhere. If EQ can last 14 years and 18 plus expacks then your grand kids will be playing WoW with you in the nursing home. Peace haters

You may post that 3 trillion times and there still will be the same dudes argueing.

The BEST part is that all those others went free to play in order to even have a handful of servers filled...

I also like these discussions of " free to play games are better" ... because  a game is rated according to its .... price ... LOL.

Trying to survive as an mmorpg by selling some buttons and a shoulder cap each month is so dissapointing for this complete industry, it actually baflles me how people still believe in Santa.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I don't think numbers matter at all,you play what game you like and nothing else should matter.I do know that you enter Wow you will see a LOT of empty zones.I played a whole week and i could count on two hands the total number of players i ran into.One was on a mount,just passing through asked me to join a guild.Since Wow does not start in a town either,you really create an empty feeling in your game.At least with a town you have a central hub were many players go.

Me personally,i think Blizzard makes boring games,doesn't matter what i think,if you like it play it.

Wow, that's some proof you didn't enter the game in 2 years already.

Because CRZ now and Virtual Realms solved that problem already.

Whether WOW is played by 100 K or 10M, the VR's system will populate the complete world zones. And they will ALL be able to trade with each other AND Guild play.

I would advice you to take a look and log in: Always dozens of players around Goldshire 24/7. Or go check the PTR with that VR patch of 5.4 due out in a matter of weeks.

Learn to inform yourself instead of posting: you would no longer make a fool of yourself.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Well... i do not see ANY reason to be marveled by drop in subs. Is NATURAL. Nothing, no business, no game, .... can go at all times only up. Sooner or later there will be drop. For miriad of reasons. But with wow I'm not worried. I'm sure will stay and give same quality as now for long years to come. But truth is now there are many more good MMO's out there then i.e. 5 years or even 4 back.

I love wow, love swtor, ... but this does not prevent me to experiment with many other games. In mean time of course sub on my account drop. But for sure I will be back.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by jagd1
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Prenho
    The thing I want to see the most is WoW going to oblivion. i will make party if it happens.It will help the  MMO genre.

How?

Dangerous and fun subject to talk about   image . Because it will stop carbon copies made by mmo industry ? First thing came to my mind

Why would you assume that?  First, even if it FINALLY dies...it took so long that the formula would still be considered a massive success.  Second, you're assuming too much about what is being copied.  Most of what people keep whining about has nothing to do with WoW and more to do with the basic core gameplay mechanics of a MMO in general. 

In short, WoW's death would do NOTHING to stop what it seems that you hate most.  If anything, people would copy it more in an attempt to snag the 7 million floaters suddenly in the market.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

WoW won't be going free to play anytime soon, as Blizzard is happy with the current business model. Even if they wanted to make it into a microtransaction based game, it couldn't be done with how gameplay works today.

Also, they planned expansion after next expansion. So, sorry to all doomsayers from 2006. till present days. Wow is not dead nor it dying. When they reach 200k max sub numbers (even 190k asian pay per hour), then we can talk about death.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I wonder what you'll all do when WoW really does die - and you realize it's playerbase didn't switch to other MMOs (as they presently don't).

You'll end up with a minuscule market (compared to the rest of the videogame space) that no publisher will want to invest in.

Sure, some of you relish the idea of playing "original" indy sandbox games with disgustingly horrible production values (I mean really, really bad as most such games are), but I guarantee you most of you will switch to something else.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Let us know when it reaches the maintenance subs (500k or less) that most Mature MMOs level off at.

Until then, further decline isn't exactly going to be news that surprises anyone? It's going to be a long, long fade away.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Decline is inevitable. Nothing lasts forever. I think that even if they have 1m subscribers it would still be better off to stay P2P. How many subs did those failed P2P MMOs like LOTRO/EQ/Rift have before they converted to F2P? 200k? 100k? Or less? :D

WoW's still has plenty of juice in it. But yeah it will eventually lose most of its subs. The MMORPG genre doesn't seem to be so lucrative as it used to be. Back in the days when it was unheard of an MMO without a sub, MMOs were super attractive to firms because they could charge a service fee. Nowadays this seems almost impossible. People are not willing to pay a subscription.

I will never subscribe to a game again. I don't see the point.

Originally posted by dimnikar

I wonder what you'll all do when WoW really does die - and you realize it's playerbase didn't switch to other MMOs (as they presently don't).

You'll end up with a minuscule market (compared to the rest of the videogame space) that no publisher will want to invest in.

Sure, some of you relish the idea of playing "original" indy sandbox games with disgustingly horrible production values (I mean really, really bad as most such games are), but I guarantee you most of you will switch to something else.

This. All of my real life friends who I played WoW with never played another MMO. They went back to playing whatever they were playing before they started playing WoW - shooters, rts, racing games and dota style games.

I loved vanilla and I think it was the best time to play WoW. I continued playing well into TBC. TBC gameplay-wise was vastly superior to vanilla but the theme was horrible. Space goats, alien ships, stupid outworld etc. Booooooooooooooooooring. Wrath had a great theme but the gameplay suffered. Never played CATA/MOP so I can't comment on those.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I hope it goes down to 2million fast. enough with "everyone's mommy-daddy playing WOW" scenario. game should be played by gamers and should be catered toward gamers and should never become a sub culture like "my friend is listening backstreet boys so i will too". i believe this decline is exactly what WoW needs now, no more casualcraft. make something challenging for real gamers.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Wrath had a great theme but the gameplay suffered.

Out of curiosity, how did the gameplay "suffer" in Wrath? They hadn't dumbed down the character progression and the questing yet...

Raids were easier/less epic than in TBC. They introduced the LFG tool which resulted in 10-15 minute long dungeon runs.  Questing was nerfed in WOTLK and it took less time to get to max level than it did in TBC/vanilla. A lot less. I hear cata destroyed leveling alts and questing as it took literally 1-2 days to cap a character.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Wrath had a great theme but the gameplay suffered.

Out of curiosity, how did the gameplay "suffer" in Wrath? They hadn't dumbed down the character progression and the questing yet...

WOTLK kind of started the downward spiral. Most of WOTLK's actual content was cut, for example. TOC started the shitfest and ICC drove it home.

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Agreed. in WoTLK we really began to see Blizzard catering to the lowest common denominator.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I wish any of the Other MMos I've really enjoyed had just under 8 million players...........
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I'm not sure 'calling the ambulance' is in order....

I mean they've slipped from being untouchably number 1 to untouchably number 1.

I'm not saying they don't have a problem to fix - but they've proven they can fix problems in the past.

Let's not close the book until we see them slip into the position of having to actually compete for the #1 slot.

- Next expansion/s could raise them back or beyond

- Next expansion/s could continue the downward trend

- Next expansion/s could maintain the current numbers

There are lots of possibilities for the future, why can't we just say, 'wow is slipping, let's see what happens next'. Those who say that age, or product life are the culprit - well, that seems short sighted to me.

When Blizz can change the rule set, they can add amazing content and blizz can and has amazed us in the past, it just seems folly to say there is absolutely nothing they could do to regain their subs because it is 'old' and reached the end of its shelf life.

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    I think wow's the odd duck.  It'll be a good while before they start feeling crippled about the sub loss

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    WoW is pretty much done. No expansion is going to save them after the joke that was Mists of Pandaria. It is all about salvaging what you can and holding on to it for dear life now. Since Titan has been pushed back for atleast another 3 more years I see tough times for Blizzard unless they have one last trick under their sleeve left.  The only game worth playing now is Starcraft 2.

You are absolutely right.

All the other MMOs have more players now, so WoW will die soon.

Wait, what?

All other MMO devs would get nerdgasm if they had 7.7, or hell even 4 million subs.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I think mop sales figured are around 3.5ish so full sub level is prob around 3 mil level which makes sense when you see server pops.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by RollieJoe
    What's ironic is that if ANY other MMO "fell" to WoW's current number of subs, it would be considered amazingly and unbelievably successful. 

"EVE's only got 7.7 million active players now, doubt it will last much longer."

"A little less than 8 million people playing Darkfall now, better shut it down."

"Wakfu just announced they are barely over 7.5 million players.  Definitely dying."

See how ridiculous these statements are?  For a non-F2P game to have these kind of numbers its nothing but spectacular. 

if you were an investor and owned a chunk of blizzard stock and saw them bleeding subs, Quarter after Quarter after Quarter, you might care. something to think about.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

That army of asian bots used in asian net cafe's will be out of work soon, those numbers alone are in the millions.
    Believe it or not, but WoW also has the most bots ever seen in any mmo created to date.
    Just join a battleground and see with your own eyes that in some games 50% are bots.

But we cant say those things about WoW or the fanboys come out of the woodwork to prove they are just noobs,

Fact remains that no1 knows the real number of Asian players who dont pay a sub.
    I gues that number is making at least 70% of WoW so called "sub base"

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by Tierless

OMG even hamsters get bored eventually!

Not unless you give them duct tape.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Nadia,  I agree with you 100%.

Still, show me a MMO with even a quarter of the WoW subscription base.... Even at this point.

You know what?  I agree.  I hate all these Journalist calling for the gloom and doom of wow for few years now.  The argue how it should go f2p.  I DISAGREE.  They will stay sub UNTIL they are NO LONGER profitable, EVEN it it means just 500,000 users.  This is business 101. 

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"