Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm asking as politely as possible: How did this get E3 best in show exactly?

FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Now that we have seen the same stuff as the staff here and at Ten Ton Hammer, I am a bit confused as to how this nabbed best in show at E3. Mainly because none of the footage was actual gameplay. We saw tech demos of the voxel layered world (which is amazing). We saw two players on the screen fighting, jumping, hopping over rocks, falling down holes. We saw some world building tools ala minecraft which is pretty cool too.

However, we did not see the following:

Zero crafting. No raids, no actual quests or objectives, no rallies, no groups to speak of other than two players. No trade functions, chat functions, no character creation videos. We didnt see 40 classes. We didnt see any dynamic AI.

But you were told these things would be in game. You weren't actually shown them. So how exactly did it get best in show? We have not even seen this game working in real time.

I actually got too watch people play Assassin's Creed 4, Destiny, and Watch Dogs. Those games I would qualify as being shown. EQNext was 5% substance and 95% concept. I will agree that what we saw was a cool tech demo of the engine. But that was not a game yet. let alone an mmo and even further from what I would even consider a nominee for best in show at E3.

If you read Bill Murphy's article, then look at the limited amount of footage, you'll realize that amost everything he is talking about that is so amazing is not really in the game or at least not shown. It was al stuff that he was told would be in it. I mean, I can spin a pretty graphic tale of the perfect mmorpg too. Will that garner me game of the year?

So what gives, mmorpg.com?

Comments

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Now that we have seen the same stuff as the staff here and at Ten Ton Hammer, I am a bit confused as to how this nabbed best in show at E3. Mainly because none of the footage was actual gameplay. We saw tech demos of the voxel layered world (which is amazing). We saw two players on the screen fighting, jumping, hopping over rocks, falling down holes. We saw some world building tools ala minecraft which is pretty cool too.However, we did not see the following:Zero crafting. No raids, no actual quests or objectives, no rallies, no groups to speak of other than two players. No trade functions, chat functions, no character creation videos. We didnt see 40 classes. We didnt see any dynamic AI. But you were told these things would be in game. You weren't actually shown them. So how exactly did it get best in show? We have not even seen this game working in real time. I actually got too watch people play Assassin's Creed 4, Destiny, and Watch Dogs. Those games I would qualify as being shown. EQNext was 5% substance and 95% concept. I will agree that what we saw was a cool tech demo of the engine. But that was not a game yet. let alone an mmo and even further from what I would even consider a nominee for best in show at E3.So what gives, mmorpg.com?

on paper, what I have heard, and what I imagine this game has the "potential" to be upon completion, I think it could be a great MMO that opens some new doors for the future of the genre...Having said that, I most certainly did not see enough to understand how at this stage of the game it is getting any awards. Again, on paper I LOVE what I read, but what I saw of the game caused me as much concern as hope.

At the end of the day only mmorpg.com and TTH can answer your question....but I am pretty sure I know the answer.

Either way I am really looking forward to this game, and I do think it could be a good one...But, I haven't (nor have you, TTH or mmorpg.com) seen enough to give them any awards...yet. Just IMO.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Weither MMORPG.COM is just that easily impressed, or if the big developers do pay them off in one form or another is hard to say. We do know that MMORPG.COM is in the business of making new MMO's seem cool otherwise the site would shrivel up and die.

Its best just to remember the past and things like how MMORPG.COM raved about SW:Tor being the next greatest MMO as well back in its time

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i agree

a tech video is not worth best of show

I am very excited for EQN but the devil is in the details of actual gameplay

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

My gut tells me that they were caught up in the PR hype. And as fans of the genre, went nuts over the potential this game has. However, the journalistic objectivity side should have kicked in before they started handing out best in show.

I wish I could have been there as they walked out of the closed door press unveil. I would have asked them to keep this in perspective a bit since you know, it was just a demo and a slideshow of planned features. I hope EQ Next is all that SOE says it will be. Best in show? No, that goes to the developers that had an actual playable game at E3 imho.

• tedgptedgp Member Posts: 33

The lead dev stated in the panels that we havent seen actual combat yet, although if you looked at the presentation vid, you can get an idea of how it looks and plays from the developers computers in the corner of the screen ( hint, it looks and seems to play a lot like wow does).

What we have been shows so far is a hybrid presentation/tech demo.  Used purely to garner support for the game.

Notice  that at no time did he say the current model was how it would be at launch. He kept stating "This is how it looks ingame, right now". It's completely different.

That said, it is very easy to get best in show at E3. Just do what other companies such as ArenaNet did. They paid them off. This site is guilty of it too in the past.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I'd put bets on there being lots of free Beer and Donuts.

Unless they saw more than we've seen in the 'Reveal' and even then thats pushing it, when you consider what else was at the E3, there is no way what we were shown a few days ago is in any way shape or form, better than the things we saw from the E3.

Unless you were really drunk and on a sugar high perhaps image

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68

Yea....I'd like to see what they saw at E3. 

I was expecting nothing less than absolute amazingness from something that wasnt even shown. Maybe they held back on the big reveal :)

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

Simply put it got it because of the game changing 'WORLD' design ethos.

No longer will the world be a backdrop but now becomes a very integral part of the living and breathing virtual world the genre has long promised but never delivered. The potential for an MMO to actually have true Z access play on top of all that too.

That single design feature for me is the most exciting development in MMO design since 3D.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    It is game made for hype and the masses.  It is a jumble of may different systems taken form other games all thrown together to attract as many people as possible.  The MSM will love it as they can hype it as much as possible so they can sell the dream game to everyone.  It makes money for the websites as more page hits and makes money for SOE.  Everyone hear benefits except the players who will pay for the game.  The problem is throwing all these dream features together wanted by the masses to hype a game as much as possible does not necessarily equal good gameplay or a good product.  It just means they can make a lot of money in the short term.  But that is the way MMOs have been heading lots of hype, little substance with no real endgame and no long term gameplay.  Everything is front loaded, hyped non stop by the media all to make as much money as possible before they hype the next can't miss game.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Nadia

i agree

a tech video is not worth best of show

I am very excited for EQN but the devil is in the details of actual gameplay

I agree with you in this.

There are lots of great ideas in EQNext but most of them remain on paper.

It is not the first time that a Dev announced something revolutionary  for then discovering that actually it wasn't.

The Best of the show was probably awarded as a big thank for being the only 2  sites to have the exclusive, nothing shocking really.

MMORPG.com and TTH didn't do anything out of the ordinary, that's the way it works (I was in the board on one of those gaming sites)

Even by those standards though, awarding a Best of Show to a tech demo is a bit too much IMO.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    where exactly did you see a tech-demo only? This is a working game, in alpha still - as the live dev presentation at the end of the debut proved.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    double post
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Galadourn
    where exactly did you see a tech-demo only? This is a working game, in alpha still - as the live dev presentation at the end of the debut proved.
    That wasn't live. Bill murphy posted all those videos in his article at exactly 12pm when the SOE official reveal was just getting started.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    They mentioned that what the seen was "plans", so whether full gameplay was needed to award best of show is up to opinion. I agree that it's rising the line to award something assuming it will be in.

I'm sure there are partnership aspects which is why happens in business. Now, assuming the features talked about are in and working. What MMO can boast the same? It would indeed be best of show.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

They weren't playing in the actual game world.. It was just a demo.  Landmass they threw together for it.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Foomerang

During the presentation the main devs did actually play the game live and there were cameras behind the stage showing as much.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Now that we have seen the same stuff as the staff here and at Ten Ton Hammer, I am a bit confused as to how this nabbed best in show at E3. Mainly because none of the footage was actual gameplay. We saw tech demos of the voxel layered world (which is amazing). We saw two players on the screen fighting, jumping, hopping over rocks, falling down holes. We saw some world building tools ala minecraft which is pretty cool too.

However, we did not see the following:

Zero crafting. No raids, no actual quests or objectives, no rallies, no groups to speak of other than two players. No trade functions, chat functions, no character creation videos. We didnt see 40 classes. We didnt see any dynamic AI.

But you were told these things would be in game. You weren't actually shown them. So how exactly did it get best in show? We have not even seen this game working in real time.

I actually got too watch people play Assassin's Creed 4, Destiny, and Watch Dogs. Those games I would qualify as being shown. EQNext was 5% substance and 95% concept. I will agree that what we saw was a cool tech demo of the engine. But that was not a game yet. let alone an mmo and even further from what I would even consider a nominee for best in show at E3.

If you read Bill Murphy's article, then look at the limited amount of footage, you'll realize that amost everything he is talking about that is so amazing is not really in the game or at least not shown. It was al stuff that he was told would be in it. I mean, I can spin a pretty graphic tale of the perfect mmorpg too. Will that garner me game of the year?

So what gives, mmorpg.com?

SoE paid for it. That's all. Well, it could also be these sites clamoring for SoE's favor.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Wait...people still pay attention to Ten Ton hammer?Or Massively.com for that matter?

Or demo as it was, SoE said they would have a demo for Live
  • KingsFieldKingsField Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Aelious

Foomerang

During the presentation the main devs did actually play the game live and there were cameras behind the stage showing as much.

It looked like they were pretending to play and spitting out lame scripted dialog. Two of them weren't even controlling anything.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

I can approximatively imagine what happened.

The guys run from booth to booth, looking at the new games.

They see copy after copy after copy of the same old stuff, over and over again.

And then they arrive at the SoE booth, and they see this.

EQN got "best of the show" simply because an AAA developer had the balls to create something that isn't the 100th copy of EQ or WoW. And in this stagnating market, I think they fully deserve it.

So they decided to copy GW2, still not worthy of BIS.

But I agree, the quality at the show must have been pretty uninspiring for this to win, but that's just me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by winter

Weither MMORPG.COM is just that easily impressed, or if the big developers do pay them off in one form or another is hard to say. We do know that MMORPG.COM is in the business of making new MMO's seem cool otherwise the site would shrivel up and die.

Its best just to remember the past and things like how MMORPG.COM raved about SW:Tor being the next greatest MMO as well back in its time

I have been on this site for years, years I tell you and never received warnings when I talked about a game, bad or good.

I had some post that could be considered negative talking about EQN and their game engine choice after this "Best of show" crap and was given 2 warnings by this site....

I found that quite interesting, and it really makes me question these reviews of games they do now.  I think it will be time to stick with reviews from the forum posters on this site from here on out.

MMORPG.com is a great site, but they have lost a lot of credibility IMO after this.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by KingsField
    Foomerang

It looked like they were pretending to play and spitting out lame scripted dialog. Two of them weren't even controlling anything.

Actually two of them were controlling the mobs that were fighting back,that was revealed during one of the panels.Shows how far from release this game is because AI is not in place or not in a state where they want to show it off yet.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Or demo as it was, SoE said they would have a demo for Live

i never saw any demo beyond a tech demo

Smed implied there would be playable demo for players at SOE Live 2013

but i should know better w Smed image

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

And where did you see it wasn't a tech demo?

Do you want me to make a list of what they didn't show?

- the GUI

- PvP

- Crafting

- Other classes (Only 2)

- Other races (Only 2)

- Skill system

- Other zones (only 2)

- Questing

- Group work (Trinity in action if there is one)

- Housing (Maybe too soon)

- Cities (How they look)

It looks like they built 2 maps with no major building/constructions, made 2 races and 2 classes with a couple of skill each and made a video.............that's what it looks like.

Mostly it was slide shows and concept art (didn't you noticed that?)