Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For anyone who's upset with the art direction have you considered?

124»

Comments

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

That looks more like this:

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by evilastro
    For anyone who's upset with the art direction have you considered? ..... moving on?... Since its not going to change.  Plenty of pseudo-realistic MMOs in the sea. In fact aside from Wildstar, EQN is the only stylised MMO out of the new batch coming out. Pseudo-realism MMOs far outweigh the stylised ones. Go play one of them instead.

It is not that easy to just say "move on".

Everquest has legions of EQ and EQ2 fans holding their breaths for YEARS, for the release of EQN, and this happens. Just let them vent their dis-satisfaction. Who knows. SOE MAY listen to the feedbacks and change the character's artwork direction (very unlikely).

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

Originally posted by fs23otm

LOL! Black Desert Online copied the Bratz Doll Look perfectly!

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by zwei2
    Originally posted by fs23otm

LOL! Black Desert Online copied the Bratz Doll Look perfectly!

lol if they copy the brats like that then they can copy them all day I say!

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    All the graphics will look the same, they must stay consistent with the two characters and environments we've see. Not sure why people are trying to explain the graphics to the grievers, who cares. Don't like it, don't play it, it's that simple. Hundreds of other games they can play. I thought they game looked pretty amazing, although it is cartoon, the graphics looks nuts! Example, it blows Wildstar out the water visually, both are cartoon, but EQNext is done soooo much better. A lot has to do with the environments and lighting being so much prettier in EQNext.
  • LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by DMKano

What many hoped for was this:

A game is more than its graphics.

You couldnt be more off base with this statement.   Today, a game is ALL ABOUT its graphics.  Its TODAY man, not 1999, 0r 2001, where we couldnt do these things.  Now we can, and that means we Should!   Why go back in time and make easy, goofy looking characters that wow already did?    Is game play important?  Sure it is, but its Just as important as the look of a game.   You people who use this old and tired excuse for lame graphics are done, its over, times up.  This is the future we have been waiting for and yet still lazy developers are not using the tech available.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The art direction is clear  it's this:

You nail it!

The most urgent Sense in Computer gaming is the Eye, it will receive 95% to 99% of all Input and the rest is noise+sound.
    I have a pretty broad tolereance for graphic and stylization but i can simply not play a game for years to come when i get every single hour of gameplay the "Fist into Face" feeling.

I play occasionally "Perfect World" and that is stylizied too but Humans look 10 times better and the Beastman look 1000 times better than this EQ:N stuff.

EQ:N will beat me into my face with its overly exxaggerated shapes, poses and proportions and cuteness as far as i can say today and i voice my feeling now bcs its early in the development.

I dont see the game b4 released b4 2015.

They are free to listen or not...

PS: I was shocked about the Character Art Direction, outright and deeply shocked immedietly!

I am impressed what they want to do, i had no bad Feeling about the world but i would like to see water have a role in it.
    SOE pretty much showed again its able to develop the most impressive concepts and at the same time sabotage their game with the best intentions.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• FarstryderFarstryder Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by tank017

I had no idea that Kerrans were pretty or frilly...

I'd reserve those terms for high elves and uhh.....

...uhmmmm

Imo the Kerrans looked awesome.  I always wanted them to be bigger personally  Tiger and Lions average weight is 400- 500 pounds . I loved the part when the Kerran ran up to where the female human was and roared.

Farstryder,

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Laiquendi
    Originally posted by Telondariel

A game is more than its graphics.

You couldnt be more off base with this statement.   Today, a game is ALL ABOUT its graphics.  Its TODAY man, not 1999, 0r 2001, where we couldnt do these things.  Now we can, and that means we Should!   Why go back in time and make easy, goofy looking characters that wow already did?    Is game play important?  Sure it is, but its Just as important as the look of a game.   You people who use this old and tired excuse for lame graphics are done, its over, times up.  This is the future we have been waiting for and yet still lazy developers are not using the tech available.

I know dozens of great indie games that disagree.Not to mention games like the recent X-Com that didn't have the greatest graphics but are excellent games.

Also as I said before you can go play your MMORPG with hyper realisitic graphics and their static environments with static AI,I'll choose the one with cartoon Characters and what looks like beautiful landscape that's fully destructible and has emergent AI that along with a world that changes goals depending on what the player does is always making the world different and fresh.

That is if EQN actually delivers on those ideas in a meaningful way,if not ignore all of the above 8D

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    I understand and actually support the decision for the use of the SOEmote tech alone. But I think one of the reasons it's being implemented is for PS4 use and that is disappointing.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

The art direction is clear  it's this:  What many hoped for was this: 

That would be terrible for gameplay performance.did you all miss the part that the whole game world is a sandbox like Minecraft but with thousands of players?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I love cartoony style. devs can give us awesome characters with cartoony art style if they so want to. just look at the 3D cartoon animation films coming out in hollywood every year. but unfortunately devs don't want to give us something like that as long as fanbois fill their pockets. hope it changes and we get something really awesome. finger crossed. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    You can't have everything in a game. Its a trade-off.  If you want a very pretty /realistic/ game then play FF reborn, but it won't have many of the features EQN will.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by arieste

I've considered.  And this is what i've come up with:

Cant be anymore true...

They threw the Kerra race through the meat grinder.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

That would be terrible for gameplay performance.did you all miss the part that the whole game world is a sandbox like Minecraft but with thousands of players?

That's not true though, while I didn't like Aion I did find it very appealing to the eye and the fps on that game was unheard of for the graphic quality.  Same with Black Desert (picture above), way better fps than should be expected from what I've heard.

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

Real life models? Wow, cradle snatching! :P

Animated art or at least a veneer of being not too real is preferable to me. Just how it strikes me. The background is good, the general mood might be a bit goth, perhaps a great fit for the new CCP game about vampires - World of Darkness. I think that game will be a huge hit when it launches.

• HappyThoughtsHappyThoughts Member Posts: 22

the hate train on mmorpg.com cannot get any real dirt on EQN so they are gonna complain about the art direction

not surprised

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Daaken
    If you think the characters are too cartoony or the art direction is too "Disney" have you considered they only showed 2 working models of animated characters?  Both of which are routinely considered the frilly or pretty type of races.  We still haven't seen a live video reference for Dark Elves, Shadow Knight armor, Ogres, Male Humans, and Dwarves.

The only thing worse than bad art direction is inconsistent, mis-matched art direction. So, no, I haven't considered it.

I'm not going to discount this game based on the art direction, but I am more than a little saddened by it.

I hope the game looks a lot better at launch than in these early videos though. Wildstar also decided to go with a cartoonish art style, but they pull it off a lot better than SOE has in these videos.

Part of me wishes this game was going to be ready for release by mid-2014, but based on the visuals, I now find my self hoping this is going to be a 2015 release, so that SOE will have time to improve the visuals considerably. I'm not expecting them to trash the cartoonish look and all the work they have done to date, but I do expect it to look a lot higher quality when it releases.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by viruzex

the hate train on mmorpg.com cannot get any real dirt on EQN so they are gonna complain about the art direction

not surprised

K, your Firiona Vie and high elf ladies are waiting for you

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Well yes!

Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by Daaken
    If you think the characters are too cartoony or the art direction is too "Disney" have you considered they only showed 2 working models of animated characters?  Both of which are routinely considered the frilly or pretty type of races.  We still haven't seen a live video reference for Dark Elves, Shadow Knight armor, Ogres, Male Humans, and Dwarves.

The only thing worse than bad art direction is inconsistent, mis-matched art direction. So, no, I haven't considered it.

I'm not going to discount this game based on the art direction, but I am more than a little saddened by it.

I hope the game looks a lot better at launch than in these early videos though. Wildstar also decided to go with a cartoonish art style, but they pull it off a lot better than SOE has in these videos.

Part of me wishes this game was going to be ready for release by mid-2014, but based on the visuals, I now find my self hoping this is going to be a 2015 release, so that SOE will have time to improve the visuals considerably. I'm not expecting them to trash the cartoonish look and all the work they have done to date, but I do expect it to look a lot higher quality when it releases.

Wildstar is considered a new product/IP, so whichever art style it is going, there will not much complain.