Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] The Art Style, Cast your Vote

Comments

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Imho..keep the char models..add better skins..better lighting refraction  and new armor models..I'm sure the character models would look fine if they didn't look so....fluffy.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344
    Originally posted by tank017
    Its garbage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_0neHhR0k

If you watch that video and think the graphics are garbage, then it's probably time to step away from mmos because you've lost all sense of perspective. This blows away anything out right now. You may have preferred they went a different route with the design, but no person with the slightest bit of objectivity could call this garbage.

• BubafatsBubafats Member Posts: 52

I don't give a shit how it looks really. As long as the art is good enough to sell the idea, your fine. 

EQ1 , DAoC .. these games had shitty graphics, but original and fun game play.

Original and fun game play will always win out over fluff like pretty pictures.

I wouldn't call it garbage..but for someone who wanted a T bone steak and got  Burger King instead...yea..Its a happy meal...not much more.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Fratman
    Its garbage.

If you watch that video and think the graphics are garbage, then it's probably time to step away from mmos because you've lost all sense of perspective. This blows away anything out right now. You may have preferred they went a different route with the design, but no person with the slightest bit of objectivity could call this garbage.

I can and its trash. For some of us its complete and utter garbage. And just fyi. Its far from blowing anything out. AA is leaps and bounds ahead of EQN in terms of character models and environment. EQN looks like its been out for the past 5 years already thats how dated the game looks. Stylized preserves games better my ass.

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

poll looks 50/50 so far. No game can 100% please anyone.

SOE should try to make it 80/20 to its favor.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

The fact that this type of thread receives a negative minority vote on this topic says it all. Accept that you are a minority. Opinions are all fine but stop acting as if this game objectively has graphical issues. It does not.

The graphics are fine - move on folks there is nothing to see.

Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Fratman
    Its garbage.

I can and its trash. For some of us its complete and utter garbage. And just fyi. Its far from blowing anything out. AA is leaps and bounds ahead of EQN in terms of character models and environment. EQN looks like its been out for the past 5 years already thats how dated the game looks. Stylized preserves games better my ass.

Archeage has better graphics, environment and movement than what you saw in that video? lol. Now you're just blatantly troloololing. 

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by Sikhander

The fact that this type of thread receives a negative minority vote on this topic says it all. Accept that you are a minority. Opinions are all fine but stop acting as if this game objectively has graphical issues. It does not.

40% minority vote can easily doom a game. Do not underestimate them.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• desik969desik969 Member Posts: 11

Opinions are fine and all, but stop acting as if this game objectively has good graphics. It does not.

The graphics are unattractive - move on folks there is nothing to see here.

Originally posted by zwei2

40% minority vote can easily doom a game. Do not underestimate them.

Not when 90% of that 40% minority will be preordering founder packs and playing on day 1. See you guys in game!

• JustARandomPandaJustARandomPanda Member Posts: 61

I voted that I did not care either way. Which is true. I don't. I've never played either EQ game (never played WoW either but that's getting off-track).

I like what I've seen of EQN and there is no harm for me in trying the game. I enjoy a lot of MMOs that receive a lot of venom from regular posters of mmorpg forums (neverwinter, GW2 and TSW for example).

OTOH I can understand the people whom are upset with EQN's art direction.

Let me give an example:

Imagine if Zenimax decided to "reboot" The Elder Scrolls the way SoE decided a reboot was needed for EQ. Now imagine if that reboot made TESO look like a Pixar movie...complete with Toy Story-ish character models and enemies, set design, etc. Can you imagine how thrilled the fanbase would be?

Or to give another example...

Do any of you remember the howls that went up prior to the reboot of Battlestar Galactica? Remember the howls of protest when the fanbase found out Starbuck was going to be made female? I still remember an online petition that made the rounds of several SF pop-culture fansites called "Save Starbuck's Penis".

Speaking only for me - I actually ended up liking the Battlestar Galactica reboot far better than the original. So I am reminded that there are indeed examples in life that some reboots/re-imaginings - whether of tv shows, movies or games - can actually end up being of good quality even if the fanbase at first reacts predominantly negatively.

Still...I can also think of many examples where the reboots ended up being far worse than the original that made the IP a famous money maker.

And if anyone is curious...

I'm VERY glad Zenimax did not decide to reboot TESO and give it a Pixar makeover. Aged graphics do not bother me but this is coming from someone who's steam account is stuffed with indie games that don't exactly stun anyone with amazing art direction or graphics (btw - anyone else like Din's Curse and Reus?)

Playing Now: The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter

Playing soon: Landmark beta, Swordman beta

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I think the issue for SOE is that the style they went with is more polarizing.  Of course there are people who will prefer one or the other styles, but I think people who like stylized graphics are less likely to be presented with an mmo that is more realistic with good graphics and say "i don't want to play this!" than those who prefer realistic and are presented with a stylized game.  Because even if the stylized is done very well, it's just the fact that it is that at all which turns a lot of people off
  • SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by desik969

Opinions are fine and all, but stop acting as if this game objectively has good graphics. It does not.

The graphics are unattractive - move on folks there is nothing to see here.

You are missing the point: I am not trying to make anything change claiming that something is objectively bad/wrong - you people are. And hence your diatribe falls flat on its face.

If you do not like the graphics - buy something else.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

Disappointed. But I'm more worried about the combat than the art style.

Although I have to say, people did polls on MMORPG.COM and I remember distinctly that those polls showed 50% did not want cartoonish graphics. Maybe the art lead needs to learn how to read forums once in a while, ya think!

Pretty much sums my thoughts up.

Though I would hope no developer ever listens to the MMORPG.com community. If they did, MMOs would remain in the Stone Age for another decade - they're just now starting to see some actual progress into being a half-way respectable genre.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The world is ok, but really nothing to write home. Sorry, but the landscape looks WAY too much like WOW 2.0. I want more realistic, stunning landscapes. NONE of the vids of screens showed anything even remotely awesome. Functional and ok.

Characters... sheesh. No. Just no. Too Pixarish. I simply can not relate to that look. The costumes are ok, bearable, but the comic look of the chars. No way.

I know I gonna play EQ:N anyway, because it's Everquest. But this is just a bad look. I just dont feel connected to chars looking like this.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I dislike the artistical choices for EQN and would much rather see realistic character models and monsters (like Dark Souls or Skrim), yet, I did like everything else enough to give the game a fair try.

I did play WOW for many good years and graphics didn't bother me that much, since I still managed to get immersed in the game world quite well.

Edited for Elikal: Love your new avatar! Radagast ftw.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

Personally I just would rather have something like this:

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Now that I've seen the actual models I try to imagine if they were more realistic like PS2 but with a fantasy look... It doesn't seem as fun.  Now I know people play for different reasons and the "mood" is very important.  A "fun" mood may not be what they are looking for but after all things considered I think they made a good choice.  SoEMote will be much better with the smoother, exagerrated look than if it was realistic.

I do have my issues with the heroic movement double jump and red outlines for imcomming effects but that's for another thread.

Margulis ... are those from an actual game though?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by sudo

I dislike the artistical choices for EQN and would much rather see realistic character models and monsters (like Dark Souls or Skrim), yet, I did like everything else enough to give the game a fair try.

I did play WOW for many good years and graphics didn't bother me that much, since I still managed to get immersed in the game world quite well.

Edited for Elikal: Love your new avatar! Radagast ftw.

I think once people play for a while the artstyle will become more comfortable.  It's new and fresh so it's a stark comparision right now.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    I like the art style because I think it's a cross between realism and cartoony and not too over the top (except maybe the Kerren).  But the concept art of the Dark Elves and Human Males is awesome looking.  Coupled with the fact the background and surroundings is really nice and stylistic instead of the cartoony world of Wildstar.  At least in EQN not everything is cartoony and it's all subjective anyway.  Considering the race I'll most definitely play is Dark Elf, I'm not worried.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

Originally posted by Ticklepink

Yes they are from Black Desert and they are actually from a video - not just screenshots.  Here is one of the trailers if you're interested in watching.  I'm not sure how I feel about the combat but everything else seems very good, but then again I don't like action combat so.... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm surprised !

After 217 votes, 63% like or are neutral to the new artstyle.

Having read quite a few threads here, I'd begun to think that the greater majority hated it. Just goes to show what being vocal gets you... image

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Ticklepink

Yes they are from the game and to top it all it's an Asian made mmo, go figure lol. As for the graphics, they are very good but it's the actual style that has people up in arms.