Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] The Art Style, Cast your Vote

ionscorpionscorp Member Posts: 27

Hey everyone,

Enough of the hundreds of  posts by the same members, lets consolidate it unto one poll in which we can grab an accurate data representation for how members of mmorpg feel about the EQN graphic style.

Feel free to post why you voted the way you have, but lets try and not turn this into a flame war.

I for one enjoy the new art style and do not considerate to ruin the experience for me of the new EQ. I am a long time player of the original EQ on Fennin Ro and EQ 2 Antonyia Bayle. I disliked EQ 2 when it was first released and only started playing it after a few years of it being released. 

Comments

• DavidinWADavidinWA Member Posts: 12

The amount of crying farce towards the graphics is hilarious, the game has some really ground breaking ideas while still inside the EQ universe. It was never meant to be an exact copy of the original EQ or EQ2 but instead to be a brand new game. Both EQ and EQ2 were completely different games, and some would feel that EQ2 should of been named differently because the gameplay was totally different.

Why should EQ Next be thrown out? It is a new take on the same genre, albeit with different graphics. So much hate over something that actually looks and sounds like something fun to play. 

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Disappointed. But I'm more worried about the combat than the art style.

Although I have to say, people did polls on MMORPG.COM and I remember distinctly that those polls showed 50% did not want cartoonish graphics. Maybe the art lead needs to learn how to read forums once in a while, ya think!

Originally posted by Kiyoris

Although I have to say, people did polls on MMORPG.COM and I remember distinctly that those polls showed 50% did not want cartoonish graphics. Maybe the art lead needs to learn how to read forums once in a while, ya think!

I would think the best way to solve this is put it up for vote at the round table, my only theory as to why they would not do this is because it would impede the countless hours spent on creating the models and thus having to scrap everything and delay the game even longer.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Taking these forums as an indicator of how the community feels about something is like looking at xfire for exact population statistics for a MMO. It just doesn't work.

As for the art style, I enjoy what has been shown. And I also believe these polls are useless.

Down with polls.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    The character models are cartoon-ish and not something I like at all.  Makes me feel like their target audience are 7 year-olds.
  • TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Now the secondary  poll should ask: Would personal dislike of a games graphics cause you not to even try the game?.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Dislike

A lot

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

One thing a game dev should never EVER do is read these forums for any sort of insight.

As for the poll, I am fine with the art style.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

Overall I did like it.

I think the environments were great, they look like realistic fantasy to me.

The characters themselves were kinda cartoony.  I didn't mind them though. 

The spell effects were super heavy, for a few seconds I couldn't even see the characters.  I'm sure that's adjustable in game options though, that's standard.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Check me off for dislike. Hate everything about the look and feel of this POS.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Its garbage.
    Well it appears not to be a landslide victory for one way or the other. I imagined as such, and I wonder how this poll would do if put on the round table. 
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    It looks great and it should age well.
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    This is pretty interesting..as of writing this the "Like" and "Dislike" were tied at 49.1% each.
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by DavidinWA
    Well it appears not to be a landslide victory for one way or the other. I imagined as such, and I wonder how this poll would do if put on the round table. 

I really think this would be an excellent use of the round-table. But will they have the balls ?

Originally posted by evianwater

I really think this would be an excellent use of the round-table. But will they have the balls ?

If they did do this and lets say that the majority did indeed dislike the art-style (I would have to say atleast 60%), could you imagine how much this would delay the game? It would go back to being put on the shelf for quite some time..

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

Why not add a poll answer:

They will release a complete revamp of the character models 2 years after release just like they did in EQ1 and EQ2.

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

The amount of crying farce towards the graphics is hilarious, the game has some really ground breaking ideas while still inside the EQ universe. It was never meant to be an exact copy of the original EQ or EQ2 but instead to be a brand new game. Both EQ and EQ2 were completely different games, and some would feel that EQ2 should of been named differently because the gameplay was totally different.

Why should EQ Next be thrown out? It is a new take on the same genre, albeit with different graphics. So much hate over something that actually looks and sounds like something fun to play. 

*agree*

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

i d ont really like the kerran  kerrans just arent that big and not a fan of big chunky armor and hands but the humans look good

im not saying throw it out now get the game out  then fix the models or make it a choice allow us the players to mod the models ahem so to say and the armor looks

same  torso shape would probably have to be kept probably but makeing it smaller or larger should be feasible

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Total let down, I cannot see myself getting immersed once again in a cartoon mmo.

Graphics isn't everything since I was a avid player of EQ and DAOC back in the days, however this game isn't the EQ I was wishing for. 

But at least I know EQN is the new NGE for EQ.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Art style doesn't bother me. People keep mistaking art style for graphics and that bothers me.

The graphics aren't bad at all. If you don't like the art style thats one thing.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I am neutral to this, it does not bother me. mUch. The game world is nice! The game concept works. I actually like the human renderings, but HATE the Kerran look.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• fallen3620fallen3620 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    So I voted for liking the art style. I have watched all the videos from SOE and i looked at the character models and while in game with the landscape and background they looked great. When the models are taken out of the game and thrown into a post i have to agree they look funny as hell :) IMO the art style looks really good while looking at everything but as soon as it gets removed it doesn't look right (good thing i will only be looking at everything in game while I play.) To each their own I guess, I feel super realistic graphics are kind of overrated. if the game looks good then that's all that matters to me. if you like great if you don't i am sorry this wasn't the game for you oh well maybe the next one will float your boat, Me I am super excited for what EQ:N has to offer with all of its other gameplay features have a good one and i will see you all in game 

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

I like the world/environmental art style, the lighting, etc.

I didn't much like the character art style though, I'd perfer a more realistic approach to character models, it didn't really fit with the environment I thought.

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by cmorris975
    The character models are cartoon-ish and not something I like at all.  Makes me feel like their target audience are 7 year-olds.

This is the most infuriating thing about this discussion.

People against it claiming that anyone that likes the style is a child and that realism is only for sophisticated mature adults.

Do I need to point out the irony here?

I didn't vote in the poll because while I'm in favor of the style, I have no way or knowing if it's right for the game or not until I know what kind of tone the game is going for.