Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is HEAVILY based on GW2

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Let's not kid ourselves here, there are some novel and new features to be sure, but there is a LOT of GW2 in this game.  Now, that could be viewed as a good or bad thing, but let's not deny the large amount of similarities.

- Weapons and skill system is almost exactly the same

- Quest / dynamic event system sounds extremely similar

- Horizontal progression and lack of gear that increases your power.  Actually EQNext is taking this further with no stats on the gear at all

- Combat style looks very similar

- No end game raiding beyond the public event type raiding where it scales to the amount of players in the area.

Comments

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Yes these do seem similar but until I see more I am withholding my decision. The multiclassing sounded great till they put the 4 ability limit in. From what I have seen there is some good and bad and a lot of unknowns.
  • EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Dunno about all that, but I swear the lion warrior running animation in the reveal video when he's running on all fours looks just like the GW2 Charr running animation.  Maybe it's just me.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

yep as I said in another thread.

I believe they used GW2 as the bench mark..

I hope my Kerra gets to fly a kite!

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    No raiding in EQ, serious?  Woof. That's rough. 
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Hm, if there is no raiding, no grinding, no armor upgrades...what exactly are you supposed to do in this game.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Not really, GW2 doesn't really have any originality other than the jumping puzzles, they mostly copied stuff from dark ages of camelot and Warhammer online :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Apparently explore and unlock player classes, then level them all up. 

Feels a lot like unlocking zones in GW2.

I imagine it won't take long to locate all the classes.

Sounds super casual. 

Originally posted by Kiyoris
    Hm, if there is no raiding, no grinding, no armor upgrades...what exactly are you supposed to do in this game.

uncover all the zones,complete all the hearts and vistas..

and do the same public quests over and over and over.

Originally posted by drakaena

Sounds super casual. 

I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of classes are hard to obtain..

unless you pony up some cash and buy them in the cash shop.

• deadhead74deadhead74 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Shit no raids? :(  I wanted to spend 60 ours each week to get my +2 sword. :(  Oh well back to EQ1.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Margulis

Let's not kid ourselves here, there are some novel and new features to be sure, but there is a LOT of GW2 in this game.  Now, that could be viewed as a good or bad thing, but let's not deny the large amount of similarities.

- Horizontal progression and lack of gear that increases your power.  Actually EQNext is taking this further with no stats on the gear at all

- No end game raiding beyond the public event type raiding where it scales to the amount of players in the area.

This is what the games have been trending toward because this is the content that gamers are showing that they like. It's not that EQN is copying GW2, it's that EQN is the next step forward in that particular path (RIFT > GW2 > EQN)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by drakaena

Sounds super casual. 

Finding and unlocking classes was in the origanl plan in Rift. But they scraped it before launch to make getting new classes quest driven. That also didn't last long seeing how people didn't want to go through the hassle of doin the quests to get classes they felt should have been available to them. I wonder how long it takes EQN to scrap their class finding idea.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

It really pisses in my cereal bowl how they have dumbed down the combat to a degree even beneath that of GW2.

Contrary to popular belief, GW2 combat is incredibly shallow, but they even had to prevent weapon swapping to ensure that only a bare minimum of skills had to be employed at one time. 

GW2 did a lot of things right, but it did to combat what CoD did to shooters: it dumbed it down to a few buttons, eliminating any semblance of a rotation, macros etc.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

This is what the games have been trending toward because this is the content that gamers are showing that they like. It's not that EQN is copying GW2, it's that EQN is the next step forward in that particular path (RIFT > GW2 > EQN)

And its a very sad trend indeed.

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

So GW2 will let you multi-class skills from all classes?  Nice, I need to reload it don't remember that.  Yeah, I guess you right about every game having a sword or axe in it.

Nice - So GW2 mobs will travel around and spawn camp you or pack up and leave?  Again I need to reload GW2... I remember them spawn as static.

You are correct again.  I remember this was exactly like GW2.  Wow, they should hire you - you could just point the stuff you like and be done.

So you noticed GW2 had 8 buttons and now EQN has 8 buttons.  Amazing coincidence there.  I''ll bet EQN will even have a similar inventory system, map, and paper doll as well.  We should just play GW2 and save them the time and effort here.

You got it right again.  If they don't put in a traditional EQ style raid system, it must be because the want to be just like GW2.  Nothing gets past you.

Seriously.  There are similarities to ALL MMO's.  It's the genre - some thing will be similar.  I bet if you spend as much time finding the things that are truly new and you did finding things sorta similar to GW2 - you might just find something you like.

/if not - can I has your stuff?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Everyone needs to relax.

The comparisons to GW2 are being exaggerated.  We do not have enough information yet, as to how EQN will implement these features.  Until we see some actual gameplay, and not scripted videos, then we can start being critical.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

1) I don't know about the weapons and skill system, other than it does seem to have a small amount of active skills compared to WoW

- I don't recall any guild wars 2 dynamic event lasting for a month or leaving a new town in its place that stays there after it is done. Period. I keep hearing these compared to Rifts or GW2 dynamic events but nothing they talked about resemble these two models others than a lot of people are involved in both

- I have not heard that the gear does not increase your power, in fact one of the sites which was tweeting one of the panels said the opposite that if you were teleporting as a rogue you would want items that helped with stamina, as I am not at SOE I will just not comment on that until we see something more official but it seems odd that you would comment on that. Did you hear something different at another panel?

- The combat style does look similar to a lot of mmo's, red damage areas are done in many mmo's now from Secret World (which does them well) to many asian mmo's and the upcoming wild star...you can even find something similar in wow these days in many dungeons. That being said we have seen less than a minute of combat so I will hold out before passing judgement like most sane people, there is nothing wrong with Secret World's combat or many other mmo's in my opinion. Some are better than others and a lot of it will depend on the A.I. and the nature of the combat which I do not think we have seen yet.

- There absolutely, from multiple sources, has been confirmation of raids in EQnext from the panels. Raids that are not dependent on the rally point in the world at the time.

I really wonder about some things in this game as well such as crafting and what kind of PvP we can expect, I am a bit put off by the fact that the dev said "everyone" will know when a rally point is going on because that kind of implies a GW2 everyone on one side world unlike the old EQ with its alignments and sides. Might mean nothing might mean everything but until we know more it seems stupid to flame about anything we don't know about and all we do know about, really, is the art direction.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

That's why western MMOs are becoming so ridiculous, losing the RPG side and becoming adventure-plataformers.

From west the only thing I still play are single player RPGs that will continue being RPGs keeping power/item/level character progression.

Originally posted by krulux

So GW2 will let you multi-class skills from all classes?  Nice, I need to reload it don't remember that.  Yeah, I guess you right about every game having a sword or axe in it.

Nice - So GW2 mobs will travel around and spawn camp you or pack up and leave?  Again I need to reload GW2... I remember them spawn as static.

You are correct again.  I remember this was exactly like GW2.  Wow, they should hire you - you could just point the stuff you like and be done.

So you noticed GW2 had 8 buttons and now EQN has 8 buttons.  Amazing coincidence there.  I''ll bet EQN will even have a similar inventory system, map, and paper doll as well.  We should just play GW2 and save them the time and effort here.

You got it right again.  If they don't put in a traditional EQ style raid system, it must be because the want to be just like GW2.  Nothing gets past you.

If anything,the multi classing will throw this game into further single player mode.

They said nothing about the quests and Dynamic events moving.

everything else isnt worth replying to,as it reeks of smart assery.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

So the devs said that classes have "a handful" of abilites... and if there are forty classes. And each class can use a couple weapons.

Does anyone know if you are "locked in" to your original class and can just pick utility skills from other clasees?

If so then if each class has four utility skills and there are forty classes... thats 160 different skills... doesnt really sound that unmanageable. Not counting your weapon skills... thats another 320 but those come in sets

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    "

This game is HEAVILY based on GW2"

Which is only a good thing. It seems to be taking GW2 to the next level.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by tank017

Seriously.  There are similarities to ALL MMO's.  It's the genre - some thing will be similar.  I bet if you spend as much time finding the things that are truly new and you did finding things sorta similar to GW2 - you might just find something you like.

/if not - can I has your stuff?

If anything,the multi classing will throw this game into further single player mode.

Ditto on this

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by tank017

Actually they have stated that dynamic events, or Rallying calls, will happen randomly around the world, won't be repeatable triggered events. Once a Rallying call is completed, it will not re-happen, unlike GW2 events that happened over and over and over again using the same trigger each time.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

I find it funny that people call the Combat mechanics of GW2 (and the proposed combat style of EQN) as 'Dumbed down'.

Tell me whats so smart about learning a rotation, and recycling it through out your characters every encounter? Where exactly is the Genius in that?

I would've thought thinking on your feet and adapting to the flow of the combat on the fly feels a lot smarter than pressing 20+ buttons in succession...

I also feel that the Parkour elements will make combat feel a lot more reactive and alive.

Less buttons doesnt mean its dumbed down, it just means your knowledge of your character and its capabilities are more crucial than ever, make the wrong choice and you'll meet with death, make the right choice and you could turn the tide of battle.

I dunno about you guys, but I'd rather play my character, not the UI.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by illorion
    Does anyone know if you are "locked in" to your original class and can just pick utility skills from other clasees?

The class you pick at the start is a freebie unlock. The developers do not want the players to begin by making a commitment set in stone before even playing the game.

This discussion has been closed.