Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why use the name "EVERQUEST"?

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by reap3rzx
    This mentality amazes me. Why use the name "Warcraft" in World of Warcraft, it's nothing like the RTSs it's based off of. Why use Mario in Super Mario 64, it's not a 2d platformer, it was drastically different than Super Mario Bros. I can go on and on. If you want to play a game that is exactly like EQ, play EQ. 

This +1, just as I said with the final fantasy franchise.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by tank017
    I agree..

I'd feel much better if Everquest had nothing to do with this game,really.

well obviously the devs don't care how you feel... It doesn't matter.. not at all. its a name.. a word.. You feel like the new game is stepping all over your feelings and memories.. get over it. things change.. the world changes... games improve. Just because it isn't what you want doesn't mean it isn't everquest.. It's just not your idea of everquest. It is the dev's thus its there decision to make.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    This mentality amazes me. Why use the name "Warcraft" in World of Warcraft, it's nothing like the RTSs it's based off of. Why use Mario in Super Mario 64, it's not a 2d platformer, it was drastically different than Super Mario Bros. I can go on and on. If you want to play a game that is exactly like EQ, play EQ. 

actually those game ARE like the originals.

Wish SOE would have progressed EQ like those companies did with those games.

like this?  the Everquest RTS game

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    I agree..

well obviously the devs don't care how you feel... It doesn't matter.. not at all. its a name.. a word.. You feel like the new game is stepping all over your feelings and memories.. get over it. things change.. the world changes... games improve. Just because it isn't what you want doesn't mean it isn't everquest.. It's just not your idea of everquest. It is the dev's thus its there decision to make.

Did I say it wasnt?

I can still state my opinion on here regardless,whether you like it or not.

and no,this game isnt Everquest.Just like Everquest 2 isnt Everquest.Both,in my book, never will be.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by supertouchme

They used a popular IP to draw interest in their project. There wouldn't have been nearly as much buzz generated had they used a different name.

I don't really have a problem with them retconning some of the lore, but it's kind of sad how they've turned the Everquest "vision" on its head. EQ went from being a mature, living, breathing world to being a sterile experience that doesn't resemble anything that the original creators intended.

Question is, how do you know its not a living, breathing world?

As far as I know, no one here has played it yet.

As from what has been told so far, EQN may actually be a more alive world than EQ1 ever was. NPC's have likes/dislikes, will venture across the world based on this and will remember you for the choices/actions you made. From what I remember of EQ, you could nail down a spawn point and camp it for years without it ever changing. Everything was where it always was unless removed by the dev team. How was that a living, breathing world?

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

Originally posted by Nadia

actually those game ARE like the originals.

Wish SOE would have progressed EQ like those companies did with those games.

like this?  the Everquest RTS game

never played it..

how is it?

• supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by fyerwall

They used a popular IP to draw interest in their project. There wouldn't have been nearly as much buzz generated had they used a different name.

I don't really have a problem with them retconning some of the lore, but it's kind of sad how they've turned the Everquest "vision" on its head. EQ went from being a mature, living, breathing world to being a sterile experience that doesn't resemble anything that the original creators intended.

As from what has been told so far, EQN may actually be a more alive world than EQ1 ever was. NPC's have likes/dislikes, will venture across the world based on this and will remember you for the choices/actions you made. From what I remember of EQ, you could nail down a spawn point and camp it for years without it ever changing. Everything was where it always was unless removed by the dev team. How was that a living, breathing world?

The whole game was based on player interdependence. EQ fostered a sense of community that's unmatched. It was pretty much self-policing and the way it was governed by politics would probably be considered "radical" in today's age.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by xyagentguy

Look, even if this game turns out to be hugely popular and successful (kudos to SOE), why call it Everquest?  There are some wonderful and interesting and fresh idea's SOE is coming up with, and I do NOT fault them for that.  There are then some major deal-breakers for me which already has my interest lost in this game, but I won't discuss that here.

The point is, why use the name EVERQUEST at all?  It is such a drastic and dramatic departure from almost ANYTHING resembling EQ1 OR EQ2 that it's almost absurd to use the name at all.  Why didn't they simply create a new IP?  They've done it in the past.  I almost feel like this all stems from nothing but GREED and LAZINESS.  It was simply easier to work with an IP already fleshed out and well known.

People were shocked at the differences between EQ1 and EQ2 when EQ2 came out and now the differences between ALL of the entire EQ multi-verse and THIS game are ENORMOUS.  Crippling.  Almost ludicrous.  They should have simply made an EQ3 or back-burned it until they got through this NON-Everquest game.  I mean, they keep stressing how it's a re-imagination of Everquest.  This already says to me "this shi* ain't NUTHIN like the previous games you've come to love and expect" and here's our disclaimer already! 

"RE-IMAGINING"  Just call it something else!!!!!!!!!! 

Your post "content" aside, it amazes me that someone would make a fresh account purely to bash EQN.  If you don't want to play the game, if you aren't interested at all, then please move on and stop adding to the mountain of negative, non-constructive posts. 

I agree..

Did I say it wasnt?

and no,this game isnt Everquest.Just like Everquest 2 isnt Everquest.Both,in my book, never will be.

funny.. your opinion doesn't matter to me. The fact remains.. that the game is obviously eq.. because the creators of eq are making it. they decide the direction.. your only option is to play or not play.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

The whole game was based on player interdependence. EQ fostered a sense of community that's unmatched. It was pretty much self-policing and the way it was governed by politics would probably be considered "radical" in today's age.

But if they were to release EQN as an updated version of EQ1, do you think what we had back in 99 would be the same today? I seriously doubt it.

When we played EQ at launch and for many years after, it was a different crowd of players in the genre. We as players created that atmosphere, the game did not. The player base has changed significantly since then. 

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by krulux

I don't know.. because they made Everquest?  And Everquest 2.  And because they can.

Just because you think its not EQ  - does not make it true.

This is Everquest Next. 

Next as in, if you don't like it - move on to the NEXT MMO. 

Please leave us, that like what we saw, to enjoy a new experience without your trollish comments.

Kthxbye!

Why do people always turn to this 'haha hater get out, leave us to enjoy our game" instead of trying to win people over. "Gee, lookit my dead mmo. wonder why. Bet if we werent such asses to those who didnt get it right away and told them to fuck off we'd have more people to play with, huh?"

I do try to win people over.  But at the rate I've been swallowing the negative shit on this forum... I prefer to go all Honey Badger on them instead.

Seriously, why stick around if the game is not what you expected?  Move on.  There are plenty of other games out there.  What is wrong with wanting to enjoy what they have offered with EQN in peace and quite?

I can't stand Bed Bath and Beyond.  CAN'T STAND IT!  But  I don't go stand outside the door and tell every customer... "Don't go in there, Wal-Mart is just down the street, they sale the same shit cheaper"  I don't stand on the curb and yell and the employees as they goto lunch - "Your store sucks!!!! I hate the colors of the walls in your store".

My mind is numb trying to process all the hate - I am sick of it.  I just want to play a game once, where everyone is on board from the start.  And please, I'm not talking about constructive criticism.. but plain on hate.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Even though it sounds like it is going to be nothing like Everquest, it does provide name recognition in the industry....sounds like the name should have been 'Minedictus" from what they are telling us.
  • jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    just exlcuding the people places and things that are in EQ/EQ2 and will be in EQN, there are some other things that if you look hard enough through the info you will find that make this more similar to the other EQ games then what you are saying.

I agree..

Did I say it wasnt?

funny.. your opinion doesn't matter to me. The fact remains.. that the game is obviously eq.. because the creators of eq are making it. they decide the direction.. your only option is to play or not play.

that is funny... since youre the one who took the time to reply to my opinion..

perhaps stop replying?

oh, well.. my purpose isn't to argue or to ruffle anyone's feathers... 

its just interesting that ppl get so invested in something ( especially considering these are games) that they feel it belongs to them and not the creators of the game... and are so upset about the inevitable changes.

so to finish here.. its eq because its in the eq universe.. to me that's all that's required.

oh,.. n when i said ur opinion didn't matter.. it was only in the sense that i have no investment in this.. it matters only that it is interesting to see how ppl feel and what they think and to delve into their viewpoints and ideas.

• xyagentguyxyagentguy Member Posts: 78
    Maybe I am that impassioned about this franchise that I decided to make an account. I am in love with Everquest and lots of my posts are very positive towards some of the things SOE is doing.  I wouldn't consider myself a troll in least.  I am very critical of a franchise I expect great things from.  And SOE themselves WANT to hear our criticisms.  So get lost yourself.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

When it comes to living breathing world did the original have NPC mobs that go where they please based on their species nature and guards reacting to those things?  Could you go destroy anything you wanted and go several levels deep underground?  Could your character choose to wear anything and use any kind of weapon and not be restricted because of a class choice? because in a living breathing world I can do those things. In a living breathing world you can choose to do things independently and still have the choice to do things with others.  And when it comes to community the devs have spoken about features that bring people together for an objective, people that are both fighters and crafters working together.

Originally posted by xyagentguy
    Maybe I am that impassioned about this franchise that I decided to make an account. I am in love with Everquest and lots of my posts are very positive towards some of the things SOE is doing.  I wouldn't consider myself a troll in least.  I am very critical of a franchise I expect great things from.  And SOE themselves WANT to hear our criticisms.  So get lost yourself.

What makes you so invested? what did you love about the original? and what about those things is so different from what you believe they are delivering with eqnext?

• GediasGedias Member UncommonPosts: 46

I don't understand all the whining.  If Blizzard had announced this game and called it WOWNext I would be tickled pink because it would be: A) something different, even revolutionary in MMO design B) based on a lore that I am familiar with.

I'm still glad that SOE used an established IP rather than invent something new and if they can deliver the promised features I'll definitely be playing.  But now that I think about it I really hope Titan turns out to be an EQNext ripoff - SOE might have the ideas, but Blizzard seems to be better at the execution.

I agree..

Did I say it wasnt?

perhaps stop replying?

its just interesting that ppl get so invested in something ( especially considering these are games) that they feel it belongs to them and not the creators of the game... and are so upset about the inevitable changes.

so to finish here.. its eq because its in the eq universe.. to me that's all that's required.

oh,.. n when i said ur opinion didn't matter.. it was only in the sense that i have no investment in this.. it matters only that it is interesting to see how ppl feel and what they think and to delve into their viewpoints and ideas.

Im not saying it was "mine"  Im a disappointed long time customer,who was fond of the Everquest brand. Who's money went towards making 2 MMO's that arent worthy of the Everquest title,IMO.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Because as with most franchises, the name represents the lore and setting, not the gameplay.

Based on your logic, why was Final Fantasy Tactics called Final Fantasy? It played nothing like the other games in the franchise. Why was Final Fantasy 14 called Final Fantasy? It plays nothing like the single player games.

Everquest is just an iconic name that means it will be set in Norrath. End of story.

I agree..

Did I say it wasnt?

perhaps stop replying?

Im not saying it was "mine"  Im a disappointed long time customer,who was fond of the Everquest brand. Who's money went towards making 2 MMO's that arent worthy of the Everquest title,IMO.

well, sorry. I can be more appreciative of the comments if ppl actually said why... what was wrong with eq2 and now eqnext? how are they departing in such a drastic way from the original that they shouldn't be apart of the franchise?

Originally posted by evilastro

Because as with most franchises, the name represents the lore and setting, not the gameplay.

Based on your logic, why was Final Fantasy Tactics called Final Fantasy? It played nothing like the other games in the franchise. Why was Final Fantasy 14 called Final Fantasy? It plays nothing like the single player games.

Everquest is just an iconic name that means it will be set in Norrath. End of story.

I personally agree with you... but i think an mmo might be a different animal.. you play consoles for a week and ur done... many play mmos for years... and you want to continue to invest and be involved.. so i guess i can understand the disappointment when the next installment is something you can't wrap your head around...

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Why not?  Its not like we've had a massive number of past Everquest games to solidify what Everquest should look like for ever and eternity.  There have only been two past Everquest games.  OP acts like this is Final Fantasy or something.

Originally posted by evilastro

The lore and the setting,which this game also seems to lack both.

also,a name also means more than where the game is taking place.

Again,lets take Star Wars..

Where we take young luke and put him on a farm,where he helps his dad with the animals.Keeping the wolves off the live stock,herding them into their pens,all while discovering how to become a man. Presenting: Star Wars NEXT

does that sound like Star Wars to you?

Originally posted by andrewr47
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth
    I am amazed at the number of threads on the forum cranky about the name. What does it matter? Its a name. Its simply a marketing tool. That's it. The game is what matters. Let them name it whatever they want.

This is just illogical. What if Coca cola made orange juice and called it Coke NEXT? That would be ludicrous. 

How about some Star Wars on boats?

This discussion has been closed.