Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your biggest disappointment about EQNext

Comments

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Granted its all rampant speculation with little merit in how it will turn out... I was going to answer...

but then I realized the worst part.

Children crying about cartoony graphics. Yes... I'm quite sick of hearing the little kids crying its to kiddie for them and going on rampant tirades about it on the forums since they think playing it will make them seem uncool to their 5th grade classmates. 

Maybe when the kids all settle down and head off to bed, then I can give a good objective response to what I seen in the 'reveal' that leaves me 'worried' more so then disappointed since its not even out or in any solid state to make judgements on and its silly to do so.

Today I learned : Having an opinion about art style that is in opposition to Purutzil's makes me a "kiddie" 

:D Knowledge is power!

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by djazzy
    my biggest disappointment? This forum, although I probably should have expected it

+1

• AdrazahnAdrazahn Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by krulux
    my biggest disappointment? This forum, although I probably should have expected it

You beat me to it.. djazzy.  This exactly.

I think some of us have become so jaded and cynical, even pessimistic to the point we can't let ourselves enjoy anything anymore. 

I am one of the ones that would have really wanted a true EQ3 and wanted it old school.  But something happened to me while I watched the reveal.  I saw EQN for what it might be.. what it can become.

If we the players, as a community, get behind the game fully.. and stop bitching about what its not and start seeing the game with the same openness we had for the original EQ - the magic can happen again.

I've said it in a dozen posts by now - we the players are EVERQUEST.  The "game" is just a mechanic to allow us to adventure together. 

Best post I've seen all day.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

right now art style is the only concrete thing i am disappointed in.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    I have very mixed views on EQN. They redid the story, remade the map, changed the art direction and combat. I have to ask, why the hell didn't they make a new IP? It would of been better in many ways if they did.

I am still liking the game. It has many great concepts and ideas. However looking at it again I'm surprised how gamey it is. This is no virtual world where you can role play. From what I see, you will be constantly reminded that you are in a game. That's fine in itself but for me, thats not an EQ game.

But if you don't accept it for the way it is you won't be able to do this!  Wasn't EQ and EQ2 like this?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    I have very mixed views on EQN. They redid the story, remade the map, changed the art direction and combat. I have to ask, why the hell didn't they make a new IP? It would of been better in many ways if they did.

I am still liking the game. It has many great concepts and ideas. However looking at it again I'm surprised how gamey it is. This is no virtual world where you can role play. From what I see, you will be constantly reminded that you are in a game. That's fine in itself but for me, thats not an EQ game.

But if you don't accept it for the way it is you won't be able to do this!  Wasn't EQ and EQ2 like this?

no

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by jerlot65

+1

no ones making you partake.

• TasarakTasarak Member UncommonPosts: 43
    1) Animations  Clunky/Choppy

2) Character models

3) Environment

4) FTP

5) Artistic direction/Graphics choice

6) Combat

7) No Trinity

8) Everybody is a " winner "

9) Limited skill set/bar

10) Armor (huge pads)

11) The total lack of EQ feel to it.

Bravo SOE on Hype. Why even call this Everquest...

Things I do like but still have no desire to play.

1) Voxel tech

2) Destructibility

3) Collision detection

4) Permanent Change/Rallying Calls

5) Landmark
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I guess I really did want EQ1 in an updated form.  I appreciate the developers' attempts to make something new, but it's so far removed from EQ1, I just don't feel a connection to it.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Vigg
    I guess I really did want EQ1 in an updated form.  I appreciate the developers' attempts to make something new, but it's so far removed from EQ1, I just don't feel a connection to it.

Same boat, I'm hoping the lore will re-engage me when I try it...No freaking Iksar's so far is however really twisting my knickers into a ball however.

Oh and Smed's usual bullshit par excellence about game playablity, that guy twists words with the skill of a politician, with just enough get out room to have a plausible, " HUH NO no no I clearly meant".

He is quite the Banker spelt with a  'W" .

While the graphics are, well that's been discussed enough, its the overall package that's leaving the EQ connection cold, need to see a lot more, as the narrow window they have shown has in my opinion explained the real reason for the black box, and I think they should of kept it in a black box for at least another 6 months, this reveal has done them a disservice.

Inviting ex EQ players to Las Vegas, all the building up and hints, then this package drop, are mostly the reasons for some peoples butt hurt, and its justifiable as well in my opinion because their expectations were fed drip by drip,  after all the quote about EQ fans will recognize and enjoy the new world, was  a cold hard misdirection.

Myself,  i'm going to try, I hated GW2 and their ilk's combat, but that's a personnel thing, but I love crafting and the possibilities I see in that have me interested more than anything at the moment.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Well... I'm actually OK with the graphics, it's pretty and I can imagine a great game with these following features fixed.

1. Action combat ( I want regular EQ1/EQ2/VG/WOW style of gameplay)

2. Trinity system (Why would this be removed, I don't understand)

3. Progress system (Why remove something that works? That's like a 5 year old playing with fire and in this case, they WILL get burned)

I have a bad feeling that we're going to get a FFXIV replay, but, this time for Everquest. EQnext version 1.0 fails badly and SOE is forced to make 2.0 in the fashion of regular MMO gameplay.

Currently, EQN is a polished Cube World copy with the addition that you can destroy stuff.

SOE said that they are working with us to make this game, well, then it's time to start and listen, and they will hear that this current version, is not what I think, the most us want if we had a choice.

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

Didn't vote.  Poll meaningless.

Disappointed that they didn't port the code for dancing and music from SWG.  Really liked those features of Galaxies.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354

It's Free To Play is the worst of this game I wouldn't touch a scam free to play game ever and if my game FFXIV ever goes free to play I'm quitting that too.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I thought the decisions the Everquest devs had made

-frankly they made me angry. Is this what the company thinks of people they want to pay money to play their product ? I felt insulted.

Sure the company has interesting game play ideas.lots of companies have ideas. Given the companies decision to position this as a breakthrough genre changing product...the art style, the graphics imo are a step backwards from the now dated Everquest graphics/art direction.

• stalker989stalker989 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by fyerwall

I have no disappointments as I haven't played the game yet.

Ask me a few weeks after launch. Only then can I give an honest answer.

I agree. How can I be disappointed with something that I haven't even tried out yet!

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Sure, that's great, but it's cartoon violence. I felt that the EQ franchise was a little more grounded, still over the top, but somewhat grounded none the less. I expected dungeons and dragons, tough and bloody, bone crunching fights. But I'm getting dragon ball where you can punch through walls and where you can use a hammer to knock giant holes in the ground without shattering your bones.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I voted the last choice but there were things I didn't like.

First, the bright red rings that just doesn't look good IMO.  I hope they end up with something more subtle.

Second, the double jumping.  I see where they are going with it but seems a bit much.

Third, lack of class abilities as four is just too few IMO.  add in some reactives or chains abilities to bump that up to eight.  They alluded to additional info so maybe they have something hidden away.

Difficulty is something I'm concerned with but nothing so far has been shown on that end.  The combat videos were used to show the PC abilities so static mobs are obvious.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    It's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• tedgptedgp Member Posts: 33

The graphics don't concern me as i know they are simple placeholder graphics used to test the engine under load.

The main concern i have is that they are marketing the game COMPLETELY on gimmicks, and lets not mention that they are copying GW2. in regards to the base combat system/public events.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

No Trinity - I am not a huge fan of the trinity, however If you are gonna replace it, it has to be for something you know is better and can show will be better, everything we've been told so far heavily hints that it will be a very similar approach as GW2, which was horrible, infact prob one of the worst features I've seen in any mmo since its birth, other then perhaps the matrix online instancing.

Stuff like scaled bosses screams dps race, not to mention they said straight out healers and tanks won't be needed, A dps race is not a improvement, its not innovation, It puts you in a position where it becomes all about how much dps you can pump out while still staying alive. ( Even if you like other roles it really dosnt become a option when the game becomes a dps race, Gw2 made this perfectly clear as would be healers and tanks were flamed into minmaxing dps )

Tsw's approach is a much better approach, it gives you alot of freedom, but you will still need healers and tanks for group content, that said even tsw's approach is not flawless dps raceing became a issue here aswell.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Too much like GW2... I really don't like that game at all.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

The more I think about it, the more I want to say "Class" gimping..  They say there are going to be 40 classes, but most of any special abilities like taunting, healing, cc'ing, kiting, fearing, etc etc are ALL gone... So what really is left to build a class on?  It sounds like a homogenized class dressed differently.. Let me give you an example of my impression..

Wizzard Class: (Staff)  Primary spell >> Lightning Bolt does 100dps to single target

Magician Class: (Sceptor) Primary spell >> Arcane Missile does 100dps to single target

Sorcerer Class: (Wand) Primary spell >> Fireball does 100dps to a single target

Warlock Class: (Dagger) Primary spell >> Plague Cloud does 100dps to single target..

I think that is enough.... So I ask you.. With the exception of the weapons that is being wield.. IS this truly 4 different classes, or just one class dressed differently?   Something to think about when SOE claims that EQN has 40 classes..... Just saying..

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

A poll that wasn't fact checked.

In dev interviews after the reveal, it was mentioned that we haven't even seen combat yet. We saw a demo of some character combat moves, mixed with a demonstration of how the environment can be destroyed. The enemy monsters in those footage samples were not  fighting. They were nonresponsive - mere stage props. aka ornamental ears come up with Faceroll combat!

We'll get to judge the combat when Sony's good and ready to show it.

Also, it was said in subsequent interviews that the PvP will be amazing, but they don't want to talk about it yet. They're saving some things for later.

Guess we'll see a lot of hysteria, since there's a lot of crying fire in the theater lol. Hot heads seldom get their facts straight. Nonetheless, the truth will end up coming out, even if it is after a lot of obfuscation.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

I miss boats somewhat. A sandbox without sailing...

No...

Row, row, row your boat,
    Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
    Life is but a dream.
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by JedidiahTheadore
    The only disappointment I have is that they refuse to talk about PVP and housing.

I'm happy that there will be multiple servers though. I was worried it would be one mega server with instanced (channels) regions a la ESO and a few other games.

yeah , i liked mostly everything i saw, but if it's open pvp i'm out.  No player housing, or player housing with open pvp that can be destroyed, i'm out.