Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why use the name "EVERQUEST"?

xyagentguyxyagentguy Member Posts: 78

Look, even if this game turns out to be hugely popular and successful (kudos to SOE), why call it Everquest?  There are some wonderful and interesting and fresh idea's SOE is coming up with, and I do NOT fault them for that.  There are then some major deal-breakers for me which already has my interest lost in this game, but I won't discuss that here.

 

The point is, why use the name EVERQUEST at all?  It is such a drastic and dramatic departure from almost ANYTHING resembling EQ1 OR EQ2 that it's almost absurd to use the name at all.  Why didn't they simply create a new IP?  They've done it in the past.  I almost feel like this all stems from nothing but GREED and LAZINESS.  It was simply easier to work with an IP already fleshed out and well known.

 

People were shocked at the differences between EQ1 and EQ2 when EQ2 came out and now the differences between ALL of the entire EQ multi-verse and THIS game are ENORMOUS.  Crippling.  Almost ludicrous.  They should have simply made an EQ3 or back-burned it until they got through this NON-Everquest game.  I mean, they keep stressing how it's a re-imagination of Everquest.  This already says to me "this shi* ain't NUTHIN like the previous games you've come to love and expect" and here's our disclaimer already! 

"RE-IMAGINING"  Just call it something else!!!!!!!!!! 

«13

Comments

  • PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    I am amazed at the number of threads on the forum cranky about the name. What does it matter? Its a name. Its simply a marketing tool. That's it. The game is what matters. Let them name it whatever they want.

    @PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

    Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

    Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

  • UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Originally posted by xyagentguy

    Look, even if this game turns out to be hugely popular and successful (kudos to SOE), why call it Everquest?  There are some wonderful and interesting and fresh idea's SOE is coming up with, and I do NOT fault them for that.  There are then some major deal-breakers for me which already has my interest lost in this game, but I won't discuss that here.

     

    The point is, why use the name EVERQUEST at all?  It is such a drastic and dramatic departure from almost ANYTHING resembling EQ1 OR EQ2 that it's almost absurd to use the name at all.  Why didn't they simply create a new IP?  They've done it in the past.  I almost feel like this all stems from nothing but GREED and LAZINESS.  It was simply easier to work with an IP already fleshed out and well known.

     

    People were shocked at the differences between EQ1 and EQ2 when EQ2 came out and now the differences between ALL of the entire EQ multi-verse and THIS game are ENORMOUS.  Crippling.  Almost ludicrous.  They should have simply made an EQ3 or back-burned it until they got through this NON-Everquest game.  I mean, they keep stressing how it's a re-imagination of Everquest.  This already says to me "this shi* ain't like NUTHIN like the previous games you've come to love and expect" and here's our disclaimer already! 

    "RE-IMAGINING"  Just call it something else!!!!!!!!!! 

     I second this post (It was too good -- I had to re-appear momentarily to agree!)

    image

  • xyagentguyxyagentguy Member Posts: 78

    It's not just a name.  That name is attached to over 14 years of certain traditions and expectations.  I am NOT the person just wanting a re-done EQ1 with updated graphics.  I think modernization and fresh idea's are great.  But it's just.... not.... everquest.  There is NO resemblance whatsoever.  They aren't even step-siblings.

     

    In my opinion, the only thing they have in common is the mmorpg genre and then somehow this new game stole a ton of names and lore from Everquest.

  • TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    They own the name everquest, they can make a farmville clone and call it everquest for all they want.  Why is everyone so upset over just a name, it means nothing.  If you don't like how this game is going then don't play it, they've already said they didn't want to take players away from EQ 1 and 2 so why would they make EQ 3?
  • kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

    I don't know.. because they made Everquest?  And Everquest 2.  And because they can.

    Just because you think its not EQ  - does not make it true.

    This is Everquest Next. 

    Next as in, if you don't like it - move on to the NEXT MMO. 

    Please leave us, that like what we saw, to enjoy a new experience without your trollish comments.

    Kthxbye!

     

     

     

     

  • comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123

    The name EverQuest alone means they have millions of fans they can sell to.

     

    Call it "Dude's Goal Next" on the other hand....

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Just because it uses a different graphics style doesnt mean its content and lore isnt Everquest.  But you are right in a way because this game is way more than the first 2 everquests, its much larger and its a sandbox.  Its got voxel features.  And it takes crafting to a whole new level compared to the originals.  The world is much more dynamic with its emergent AI and destructible environments.  It has much wider array of chracter animations in combat and in environmental interaction.  And it offers a much wider form of character progression.  And best of all there is no group grinding for experience for hours and hours.
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

    Entire lore is from everquest. Races, lands etc. Everything is everquest. Still no information so can't tell what else is same. Probably many items.

     

    What you consider similarity is your personal opinion. But I'm really curious what the hell do you need in it to be similar? You want the same mechanics from all those years ago? Same 90' graphics?

     

    What does it need to have in your opinion to be similar. Not that is matters.

  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by kuujo

    Entire lore is from everquest.

    The lore is completely different they said.

  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by kuujo

    Entire lore is from everquest.

    The lore is completely different they said.

    When, where? I watched the whole thing, did this happened when I went pee pee?

  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by krulux

    I don't know.. because they made Everquest?  And Everquest 2.  And because they can.

    Just because you think its not EQ  - does not make it true.

    This is Everquest Next. 

    Next as in, if you don't like it - move on to the NEXT MMO. 

    Please leave us, that like what we saw, to enjoy a new experience without your trollish comments.

    Kthxbye!

     

     

     

     

    Why do people always turn to this 'haha hater get out, leave us to enjoy our game" instead of trying to win people over. "Gee, lookit my dead mmo. wonder why. Bet if we werent such asses to those who didnt get it right away and told them to fuck off we'd have more people to play with, huh?"

    The Deep Web is sca-ry.

  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by kuujo

    Entire lore is from everquest.

    The lore is completely different they said.

    He means lore as in npcs, places, cities, mobs, deities, wars, battles....you know lore. Like JJ did with Star Trek. Same lore, different story.

    image
    "Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

  • xyagentguyxyagentguy Member Posts: 78
    To be fair it was HARDLY a troll post.  In fact I gave credit where due credit was deserved.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Final Fantasy is 25 years old and each game has different lore, world and characters and even graphics style.  But what makes it final fantasy are things like summons, jobs, story theme, friendship theme, monsters, items, magics, skills and other things like that.  And this franchise has one of the biggest fanbase following in the game industry.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,391

    I don't understand how one can surmise this is nothing like EQ, or not a worthy sequel?

    Did you think melee would just have an autoattack with an archaic skill up system that was tied to your level and rigid classes?

    Are you afraid crafting will actually be productive? Are you afraid there will actually be an economy instead of this no-drop/soulbound crap?

     

     

  • CoreChamberCoreChamber Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I agree, why call it Everquest.
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    From an outsiders perspective it seems like it could have indeed been a mistake. People complaining about the lack of the trinity and so on. They seemed to have mismanaged some peoples expectations by using Everquest which is a shame I think because it deserves attention. That said by using Everquest they would have gotten extra attention (even if it's not all positive) and they probably know what they are doing.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,858
    Originally posted by xyagentguy
    To be fair it was HARDLY a troll post.  In fact I gave credit where due credit was deserved.

    I have found that if your opinion is different than some on this site they will call you a troll. So much for expression and discussing our views! o.O

    I liked you post and I had wondered the same thing! 

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

    before SOE Live

    I posted what my EQN expectations were

     

    a new mmo with EQ lore - I am not disappointed

     

    SOE posted an ebook today w some lore

    https://www.everquestnext.com/media?category=ebook

    and there was a  Lore discussion today

    http://www.eqnexus.com/forums/threads/lore.454/

  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by kuujo

    Entire lore is from everquest.

    The lore is completely different they said.

    He means lore as in npcs, places, cities, mobs, deities, wars, battles....you know lore. Like JJ did with Star Trek. Same lore, different story.

    I agree.. I think that's why they called it EQnext... because its new and its different and is not just a continuation of the same... If it was simply building off of the other titles wouldn't they have called it eq 3 or some such.

    image
  • TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190


    Originally posted by Pigglesworth
    I am amazed at the number of threads on the forum cranky about the name. What does it matter? Its a name. Its simply a marketing tool. That's it. The game is what matters. Let them name it whatever they want.

    it matters because it is his opinion and he is entitled to it. just because someone has a differing opinion does not by default make them "cranky." I have been playing EQ off and on since 1999. I never understood why EQ2 was called EQ2 and from the looks of it, there is no reason to call EQN, everquest either, other than to feed off the immense lore of the everquest brand. That may be convenient for the devs, but for a gamer this may or may not be what they want. Sometime a totally fresh take on a particular genre, requires a totally fresh name as well.

    peace.

  • supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68

    They used a popular IP to draw interest in their project. There wouldn't have been nearly as much buzz generated had they used a different name.

    I don't really have a problem with them retconning some of the lore, but it's kind of sad how they've turned the Everquest "vision" on its head. EQ went from being a mature, living, breathing world to being a sterile experience that doesn't resemble anything that the original creators intended.

  • reap3rzxreap3rzx Member Posts: 41
    This mentality amazes me. Why use the name "Warcraft" in World of Warcraft, it's nothing like the RTSs it's based off of. Why use Mario in Super Mario 64, it's not a 2d platformer, it was drastically different than Super Mario Bros. I can go on and on. If you want to play a game that is exactly like EQ, play EQ. 
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by xyagentguy

    Look, even if this game turns out to be hugely popular and successful (kudos to SOE), why call it Everquest?  There are some wonderful and interesting and fresh idea's SOE is coming up with, and I do NOT fault them for that.  There are then some major deal-breakers for me which already has my interest lost in this game, but I won't discuss that here.

     

    The point is, why use the name EVERQUEST at all?  It is such a drastic and dramatic departure from almost ANYTHING resembling EQ1 OR EQ2 that it's almost absurd to use the name at all.  Why didn't they simply create a new IP?  They've done it in the past.  I almost feel like this all stems from nothing but GREED and LAZINESS.  It was simply easier to work with an IP already fleshed out and well known.

     

    People were shocked at the differences between EQ1 and EQ2 when EQ2 came out and now the differences between ALL of the entire EQ multi-verse and THIS game are ENORMOUS.  Crippling.  Almost ludicrous.  They should have simply made an EQ3 or back-burned it until they got through this NON-Everquest game.  I mean, they keep stressing how it's a re-imagination of Everquest.  This already says to me "this shi* ain't NUTHIN like the previous games you've come to love and expect" and here's our disclaimer already! 

    "RE-IMAGINING"  Just call it something else!!!!!!!!!! 

    I agree..

     

    I'd feel much better if Everquest had nothing to do with this game,really.

  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by reap3rzx
    This mentality amazes me. Why use the name "Warcraft" in World of Warcraft, it's nothing like the RTSs it's based off of. Why use Mario in Super Mario 64, it's not a 2d platformer, it was drastically different than Super Mario Bros. I can go on and on. If you want to play a game that is exactly like EQ, play EQ. 

    actually those game ARE like the originals.

     

    Wish SOE would have progressed EQ like those companies did with those games.

This discussion has been closed.