Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If EQN Is Easy None Of These Features Will Matter

seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266
I'm really hoping that the EQN world turns out to be alot more challenging/dangerous than other current MMO's like WoW, GW2, SWTOR etc. If I can just mindlessly roam around everywhere, dig without much thought or apprehension, destroy bridges or make walls without needing to to survive then none of these features will matter. An MMO where you need to group to do anything is lame (FFXI where even bunnies can kill you at high level without a group) but neither is making the entire game world for solo adventures fun either. A good balance needs to be struck. Most importantly however the game has to be challenging (and as a result time consuming because of the difficulty). And i'm not just talking about the combat, what about dangerous terrain, traps in dungeons etc? I want to care about my surroundings when I'm exploring, not just looking out for groups of elite mobs that I might pull or something. If the popularity and success of Dark Souls has proven anything it's that we don't want to be handheld, hard monsters are fun to fight and there's more to making a gameworld dangerous than just making the enemies hard. Rewards only feel rewarding when you have to truly work for them.

Comments

• seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266

Disappointing update:

Terry Michaels said in an interview he wouldn't call EQN a "hardcore MMO" and wants it to be accessible to a larger playerbase (which for better or worse is pretty much what every AAA MMO has been gunning for since WoW's release).

Seems I got hyped up for naught. My biggest concern is turning out to be true.... Such a shame, these features could've worked out really well in a challenging MMO.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by seacow1g

Terry Michaels said in an interview he wouldn't call EQN a "hardcore MMO" and wants it to be accessible to a larger playerbase (which for better or worse is pretty much what every AAA MMO has been gunning for since WoW's release).

Meh, just because it's not hardcore doesn't mean it can't be more difficult than other games.

Do you play Darkfall or Wurm? FFXI? Those are hardcore games.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Disappointing update:

Seems I got hyped up for naught. My biggest concern is turning out to be true.... Such a shame, these features could've worked out really well in a challenging MMO.

Im expecting as much difficulty as Guild Wars 2

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by seacow1g Terry Michaels said in an interview he wouldn't call EQN a "hardcore MMO" and wants it to be accessible to a larger playerbase (which for better or worse is pretty much what every AAA MMO has been gunning for since WoW's release).
    Meh, just because it's not hardcore doesn't mean it can't be more difficult than other games.

Maybe not, But none of them are trying to appeal to a "Wider audience"

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Isn't this supposed to be a sandbox? Why are you using themepark examples?
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by djazzy
    Isn't this supposed to be a sandbox? Why are you using themepark examples?

• seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

I HAVE played Darkfall and FFXI for a good length of time, they are hardcore but the first suffers from severe lack of polish and the second is quite old and has a number of things that I find severely annoying (can get killed by bunnies even at high level with good gear, can't jump, terrain itself is not dangerous, really shitball animations). I was very much so hoping that someday soon a company would release a polished and at least moderately pretty mmo that was hardcore again....alas it doesn't seem this will be the one either.

Just to be clear there's nothing wrong with being pwned by mobs in FFXI, but bunnies? Come on that just feels silly.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

I agree. Game needs to be hard but accessible enough to bring in many different types of players. AAA studios, ambitious developers can achieve this. "hardcore niche" only? bad idea.

The best MMORPGs are worlds - that encompass both Hardcore and Casual within its sphere.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    All things equal I'd rather it be more difficult than the norm.   I don't really care that much though.