Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The childification of Everquest.

124»

Comments

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by tommygunzII

The people that let cartoon graphics prevent them from playing a game are usually very insecure. If anything is immature and childish it's these threads complaining about the art style, I'm guessing that most of the people complaining are males 18-25 years old, how ironic.

Edit: 15-25 years old.

Im a 22 male and i have no problems playing games with cartoony or releatic graphics ive played bother roughtly same amount of times. Graphics dont realy mean much to me aslong as the gameplay can immerse me into the game than thats fine with me.

One bonus to this art style is it may attract more female to the game and it would be nice to have 30% or so female players in a game. Just changes the atmosphere in a game imo cause male and females all think differently.

Another bonus is its not as graphic intensive so might see larger fight and so on with no lag so maybe big PvP battles for clan cities or somthing on PvP servers.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Originally posted by tkreep

their gargoyle days are behind them..

Fine I'll give you Wreck it Ralph,which gives shout outs to old throwback games..

are there any that are more adult oriented?

You seem to think only blood, nudity and cursing are what makes entertainment mature.  Besides those films disney has plenty of other movies that appeals to adults.  Lion King has a great dramatic story. Its about betrayal, death of family, child forced to run away from being blamed by his people, spiritualism, love and friendship...that all sounds pretty mature to me.  And movies like Toy Story has jokes that only adults will understand.

Other than disney works there are plenty of none anime shows and movies that are just as gritty and filled with violence as violent animes like Spawn for example.

Doesnt change the fact that Disney's target audience is children,which EQN 'coincidentally' looks like,a Disney film.

Hmmm me thinks you don't get out much...anyway check any movies under the Touchstone banner since it is owned by Disney. Also Dreamworks Studio often produces movies that are released under the Disney/Touchstone banner:

2011 I Am Number Four DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment and Bay Films Novel by Pittacus Lore
    August 10, 2011 The Help DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, Imagenation Abu Dhabi, Reliance Entertainment and 1492 Pictures Novel by Kathryn Stockett
    August 19, 2011 Fright Night DreamWorks Studios and Reliance Entertainment Remake of the 1985 film of the same name
    October 7, 2011 Real Steel DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, ImageMovers and 21 Laps Entertainment Steel by Richard Matheson
    December 25, 2011 War Horse DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, Amblin Entertainment and The Kennedy/Marshall Company Novel by Michael Morpurgo
    June 29, 2012 People Like Us DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment and K/O Paper Products  
    November 9, 2012 Lincoln

Yeah...but keep believing Disney is just for kids...

Anyway to comment on the OP, like others have stated. Art style does not equate immaturity. Leisure Suit Larry, Sam & Max, The Walking Dead, Tales of Monkey Island, The Wolf Among Us and many others. Nice try though.

thats Disney under a different Moniker.Monikers targeting different age ranges..

You wont find the Disney name attached to those Movies front and center.

nice try though

Tron

This is getting off subject and obviously you have your mind set about it.  But the fact is this about EQN and not disney.  Yes their art style is similar to disney films, but I could also say its just as much similar to other things like Darksiders and Bioshock which were both targeted towards adults regardless of its art styles.  Games like Bioshock shows that many adults 21+ enjoy and appeal to its kind of art style. And as I said earlier there are plenty of entertainment such as Family Guy with even more basic cartoon styles that appeal to a more vast majority of adults.

If they tried to make the game look like Mass Effect I doubt it would have some of the gameplay features and mechanics they are trying to achieve and at the same be in a sandbox seamless open world with multiple levels of depth vertically like an onion and that everything can be destroyed, you have already seen the amount of debris flying around everywhere from the destruction including all the skill and spell particle effects.   Most people dont have the hardware in their PCs to handle all that if the game had photo-realistic graphics on top of all those features.  On top of that it has very detailed animations too not just the combat animations but the characters interaction with the environment like parkouring.

And even for its style the environment graphics and the characters look very organic and fluid in textures.  I havent seen an mmo with this kind of detail in facial animation.

And in the end because its in the everquest world, im sure it will have mature content in its lore and activities regardless of its art having similarities to Disney animations.  Im sorry you cant get past your problem with its graphics style and try to appreciate the features this game is offering and the fact that its the first AAA sanbox mmo in a long time.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    You know what is really childish? People who associate more 'cartoony' graphics as being for children. Those are the real children.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Fine I'll give you Wreck it Ralph,which gives shout outs to old throwback games..

You seem to think only blood, nudity and cursing are what makes entertainment mature.  Besides those films disney has plenty of other movies that appeals to adults.  Lion King has a great dramatic story. Its about betrayal, death of family, child forced to run away from being blamed by his people, spiritualism, love and friendship...that all sounds pretty mature to me.  And movies like Toy Story has jokes that only adults will understand.

Other than disney works there are plenty of none anime shows and movies that are just as gritty and filled with violence as violent animes like Spawn for example.

Doesnt change the fact that Disney's target audience is children,which EQN 'coincidentally' looks like,a Disney film.

Hmmm me thinks you don't get out much...anyway check any movies under the Touchstone banner since it is owned by Disney. Also Dreamworks Studio often produces movies that are released under the Disney/Touchstone banner:

2011 I Am Number Four DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment and Bay Films Novel by Pittacus Lore
    August 10, 2011 The Help DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, Imagenation Abu Dhabi, Reliance Entertainment and 1492 Pictures Novel by Kathryn Stockett
    August 19, 2011 Fright Night DreamWorks Studios and Reliance Entertainment Remake of the 1985 film of the same name
    October 7, 2011 Real Steel DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, ImageMovers and 21 Laps Entertainment Steel by Richard Matheson
    December 25, 2011 War Horse DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, Amblin Entertainment and The Kennedy/Marshall Company Novel by Michael Morpurgo
    June 29, 2012 People Like Us DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment and K/O Paper Products  
    November 9, 2012 Lincoln

Anyway to comment on the OP, like others have stated. Art style does not equate immaturity. Leisure Suit Larry, Sam & Max, The Walking Dead, Tales of Monkey Island, The Wolf Among Us and many others. Nice try though.

thats Disney under a different Moniker.Monikers targeting different age ranges..

nice try though

Look up DragonSlayer, The Black Hole and Something Wicked This Way Comes. All under the Disney label.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

This is getting off subject and obviously you have your mind set about it.  But the fact is this about EQN and not disney.  Yes their art style is similar to disney films, but I could also say its just as much similar to other things like Darksiders and Bioshock which were both targeted towards adults regardless of its art styles.  Games like Bioshock shows that many adults 21+ enjoy and appeal to its kind of art style. And as I said earlier there are plenty of entertainment such as Family Guy with even more basic cartoon styles that appeal to a more vast majority of adults.

If they tried to make the game look like Mass Effect I doubt it would have some of the gameplay features and mechanics they are trying to achieve and at the same be in a sandbox seamless open world with multiple levels of depth vertically like an onion and that everything can be destroyed, you have already seen the amount of debris flying around everywhere from the destruction including all the skill and spell particle effects.   Most people dont have the hardware in their PCs to handle all that if the game had photo-realistic graphics on top of all those features.  On top of that it has very detailed animations too not just the combat animations but the characters interaction with the environment like parkouring.

And even for its style the environment graphics and the characters look very organic and fluid in textures.  I havent seen an mmo with this kind of detail in facial animation.

And in the end because its in the everquest world, im sure it will have mature content in its lore and activities regardless of its art having similarities to Disney animations.  Im sorry you cant get past your problem with its graphics style and try to appreciate the features this game is offering and the fact that its the first AAA sanbox mmo in a long time.

oh I'll be trying it..

especially since its free(otherwise I wouldnt be buying it),but i'll never get over the the art style of the characters.ever.as I think it looks terrible..and is a slap in the face to the Everquest name.The Kerran is the spear head and im sure he wont be the only one,since we still have the trolls,ogres,and iksar to go..

if this is what it takes to have some pointless facial expressions,then you can keep it.People arent going to be sitting around looking at their characters faces all day long anyway.The fun will last for a good 5 minutes.To me,its a useless feature in a game,unless its used for cut scenes I guess.As for the graphics being needed to create the destructible world etc etc..thats not my issue,as the the world itself Im fine with.

as for Bioshock and Darksiders I like, those games are aimed at an older age demographic.Believe it or not,I am a fan of stylized art,like Rift,GW2 and so on.Im not a fan of Disney like art in my MMO's..ala WoW..that is going a bit too stylized for my tastes.

to each their own

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by fistorm

Top left:  World of Warcraft

Right: Eq Next

Bottom Left: ESO/Skyrim

Draw your own conclusions...

Ill take bottom left for the win Ken.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

November 9, 2012 Lincoln

nice try though

Look up DragonSlayer, The Black Hole and Something Wicked This Way Comes. All under the Disney label.

were talking about Disney/Pixar,current CGI style animations..

not movies from the 80s

Originally posted by Ticklepink

atleast now we know what the mounts will look like in EQ....NEXT!!

I fucking lost it when i saw this. Class A funny right here.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    EQN brings out the tiger in you!
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by fistorm

Top left:  World of Warcraft

Right: Eq Next

Bottom Left: ESO/Skyrim

Draw your own conclusions...

The bigger the MMO, the smaller it's picture?

You must be refering to this Lion King. You know they one Disney ripped off from the Japanese.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Alders

The ones on the top look absolutely terrible.

Perhaps if EQ1 actually looked good, then people would have a reason to complain.

I understand people want dark and gritty Skyrim art style, that i understand.  But the new art style looks miles better than anything in EQ1 or 2.

Wow, what a tard. EQ1 graphics are 1999 and were quite good for their day. To say the EQNext character are barely better looking some 14 years later is pretty laughable. Not counting the silly children cartoon style. Whoever decided to go the Disney route should have been fired a long time ago. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Not seeing a problem. Different game, different art style.

Same world so it still some have somewhat similar art behind the graphics.

I can understand why they go for a more cartoony graphics though, it uses less resources and considering the game is zoneless it might need them.

There is only one MMO my computer can't max out with good FPS: EQ2. AoC? No problems. GW2? Runs perfect.

But I constantly get 18-22 FPS in EQ2 and while my GFX card is 3 years old it was top of the line at the time and I have an overclocked hexacore (run it usually at 4ghz x6 but go up to 5ghz x 6 if needed, it is watercooled) and a rather optimized computer with plenty of ram and a fast SSD.

Heck, it runs FPS games great as well but not EQ2.

I don't really think the new art direction is the right for Norrath, but if it can make me actually run the game good I prefer that to a realistic game you need a $3000+ computer to run.

But I would really like to hear why they choose this direction, if it was for that reason or if they actually wanted to make the game "cute".

Originally posted by Zorlofe
    I think SOE learned a lesson from WoW in the fact that this type of art style ages better than that of more realistic art styles. I don't know how demanding this game will be on hardware either but I have a feeling that it won't be as bad as what ESO's requirements might be. This opens things up for more players with less cash to upgrade as well.

Dont know how. The game was just shown yesterday and already looks 5 years old lol. Congrats $OE.

oh I'll be trying it..

especially since its free(otherwise I wouldnt be buying it),but i'll never get over the the art style of the characters.ever.as I think it looks terrible..and is a slap in the face to the Everquest name.The Kerran is the spear head and im sure he wont be the only one,since we still have the trolls,ogres,and iksar to go..

if this is what it takes to have some pointless facial expressions,then you can keep it.People arent going to be sitting around looking at their characters faces all day long anyway.The fun will last for a good 5 minutes.To me,its a useless feature in a game,unless its used for cut scenes I guess.As for the graphics being needed to create the destructible world etc etc..thats not my issue,as the the world itself Im fine with.

as for Bioshock and Darksiders I like, those games are aimed at an older age demographic.Believe it or not,I am a fan of stylized art,like Rift,GW2 and so on.Im not a fan of Disney like art in my MMO's..ala WoW..that is going a bit too stylized for my tastes.

to each their own

You talk about the facial expressions but disregard every other feature I mentioned like sandbox with seamless world on both surface and underground and that you can build houses in the main game and on top of that what you build in the Landmark feature has a chance to get in the game if apporoved by SoE and also the player gets paid for those things.  And even so calling facial expressions useless is subjective because emotes seem to be a big deal for people who plays mmos especially those who are into role-playing, this is a known fact and this small feature takes emotes and role playing to new level for these players.  The little things in life do effect people in a big way.  You say you dont like disney style but Bioshock has a very disney style to it, same for Fable.  Did The Hobbit animated movie make it less Lord of the Rings or dishonor its franchise?  Because that seemed very disney like too and you said that you enjoyed that movie regardless.

And I would say that EQNs evironmental graphics are much more similar to Darksiders 2 environments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

November 9, 2012 Lincoln

nice try though

were talking about Disney/Pixar,current CGI style animations..

not movies from the 80s

I was simply responding to the statement you typed in red up there. But since you are now trying to narrow it down even further recently I've seen Starship Troopers: Invasion and Ultramarines and they both are films with stylized cgi and adult themes. What say you?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207

I am disappointed.  The art does indeed looks childish.  Has that cartoon feel that WoW had, and I just can't get into that.  Too bad, I have hope for ESO though but my love for EQ1 had me really looking forward to EQNext.  This art kills a lot of my enthusiasm for it unfortunately.

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

Everquest Next's artistic direction won't be comandeered by petulant or spiteful behaviour.  Lolz, horrible tactic. Drawing annoying and incorrect comparisons between two separate artistic styles isn't exactly mature. I'll be a believer if Disney sues Sony (gasp!) over artistic copyright. Please provide a link.

Personally, I'm finding the new style very cute, with a lovely ability to animate and show emotion. I think the art's emotional component is an excellent trait for an online game, and I do not believe the emotion would exaggerate as nicely in a realistic art style. That's my opinion, and no, I won't bully anyone who disagrees. It's fine to agree to differ. :D That's how we can tell we've moved out of diapers and right into pullups.

So, as an EQ2 player, I give the art a big thumbs up. And I give the attempts to goad fans of the new art a big thumbs down. We shouldn't be squabbling. That's not what games are about.

Hurry up Beta!

This discussion has been closed.