Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The childification of Everquest.

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Isawa
    Originally posted by Juaks
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

if game looks childish, then anime is for 6 year old childs.

stop trolling.

Terrible Analogy. Can't compare cartoon to anime.

Yes you can. Pretty sure there are art courses, credits, and degrees concerning this to a certain amount.

name me one Disney/Pixar film that targets an adult audience and I will name an anime counterpart.

GO!!

Basilisk

I like regular american cartoons as well as Anime but disney does have elements in their movies that targeted towards adult appeal.  Gargoyles had a pretty damn complex story and was dark and violent filled with interesting characters even characters from shakespears stories like McBeth and Overon.  Wreck it ralph is filled with nostalgia for Adults who grew up with majority of the games the movie shows and its style of the worlds the movie has.

their gargoyle days are behind them..

Fine I'll give you Wreck it Ralph,which gives shout outs to old throwback games..

are there any that are more adult oriented?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    EQ1: Graphically terrible by todays standards. EQ2: A ton of people complained about the graphics because they couldn't even run the game when it first came out (not only that but it's aged terribly). EQ Next graphics: Not seeing a problem...

I remember all the outrage that was going on in Vanguards and AoC release about graphical issues and long loading screens then crashing.  And how people were complaining about the fact that AoC has too much instancing and small zones.  By the time the games got stable a niche only cared about it and most are only playing because its a way to kill time til the next mmo comes out.

EQ1: Graphically terrible by todays standards. EQ2: A ton of people complained about the graphics because they couldn't even run the game when it first came out (not only that but it's aged terribly). EQ Next graphics: Not seeing a problem...

do you just throw common sense out the window?

EQ1 is like 14 years old...

WoW's looking like crap too,if were going to play this game

as for:

EQ2 : I ran fine on my moderate Hewlitt packard,game looks fine to me.

EQN: looks like a cartoon, I see the problem.

I remember all the outrage that was going on in Vanguards and AoC release about graphical issues and long loading screens then crashing.  And how people were complaining about the fact that AoC has too much instancing and small zones.  By the time the games got stable a niche only cared about it and most are only playing because its a way to kill time til the next mmo comes out.

yes,because VG's massive amounts of bugs,unfinished,rushed released and server instability had nothing to do with it.

Or that AoC's massive lack of content post Tortage had nothing to do with it either..

shall we talk about WoW's crappy launch?

Fine I'll give you Wreck it Ralph,which gives shout outs to old throwback games..

You seem to think only blood, nudity and cursing are what makes entertainment mature.  Besides those films disney has plenty of other movies that appeals to adults.  Lion King has a great dramatic story. Its about betrayal, death of family, child forced to run away from being blamed by his people, spiritualism, love and friendship...that all sounds pretty mature to me.  And movies like Toy Story has jokes that only adults will understand.

Other than disney works there are plenty of none anime shows and movies that are just as gritty and filled with violence as violent animes like Spawn for example.

You seem to think only blood, nudity and cursing are what makes entertainment mature.  Besides those films disney has plenty of other movies that appeals to adults.  Lion King has a great dramatic story. Its about betrayal, death of family, child forced to run away from being blamed by his people, spiritualism, love and friendship...that all sounds pretty mature to me.  And movies like Toy Story has jokes that only adults will understand.

Other than disney works there are plenty of none anime shows and movies that are just as gritty and filled with violence as violent animes like Spawn for example.

Doesnt change the fact that Disney's target audience is children,which EQN 'coincidentally' looks like,a Disney film.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

Bioshock, Fable, Darksiders, Prince of Persia, Kingdoms of Amalaur used similar art styles and I dont see those games as childish.  I dont see Family Guy, Venture Brothers or Simpsons as childish either.  Because its the type of content that determines if something is childish in my opinion.

And even pixar movies like Toy Story and Racket Ralph have things both adults and children can appreciate and like.

This is a good point. One I've been trying to make in a couple of other threads. I really don't see this art direction as "childish", it's a successful art direction where the artists can move more freely. There is nothing realistic about EverQuest, because if there was why would I need to play a video game - rather go outside and shoot a fireball at someone out of my hand or staff.

Granted you are within your right to have an opinion on them being "immature", but your opinion sucks.

Also we haven't even seen the entire game yet.

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

Lost me at childification. Seems petty and spiteful.

This art style has been growing on me ever since the reveal. I think this style has more animation and personality than the previous Everquest graphic styles. With that in mind, things like the SOE emote should be a much better fit in EQNext than in the older games.

Anyways, the older games were charming in their way, and now it's fun to look forward to something completely different. It's not like EQ1 or 2 are going away - in fact I'm still an EQ2 player.  I'm glad Sony's taking an approach that might just succeed in being a big hit, instead of a little wonder.

I found the video interview with the EQNext artist quite fascinating, she's been doing Everquest art since Everquest 1. You go girl, no bashing from me. :)

PS, if you really can't stand it, stay in the old games! Don't try to rain on everyone who likes it. Just better to agree to disagree. ;)

Originally posted by Heretique

Bioshock, Fable, Darksiders, Prince of Persia, Kingdoms of Amalaur used similar art styles and I dont see those games as childish.  I dont see Family Guy, Venture Brothers or Simpsons as childish either.  Because its the type of content that determines if something is childish in my opinion.

And even pixar movies like Toy Story and Racket Ralph have things both adults and children can appreciate and like.

This is a good point. One I've been trying to make in a couple of other threads. I really don't see this art direction as "childish", it's a successful art direction where the artists can move more freely. There is nothing realistic about EverQuest, because if there was why would I need to play a video game - rather go outside and shoot a fireball at someone out of my hand or staff.

Granted you are within your right to have an opinion on them being "immature", but your opinion sucks.

sounds funsies

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I think SOE learned a lesson from WoW in the fact that this type of art style ages better than that of more realistic art styles. I don't know how demanding this game will be on hardware either but I have a feeling that it won't be as bad as what ESO's requirements might be. This opens things up for more players with less cash to upgrade as well.

yes,because VG's massive amounts of bugs,unfinished,rushed released and server instability had nothing to do with it.

Or that AoC's massive lack of content post Tortage had nothing to do with it either..

What do you think the prime reason for majority of those issues was? a lot of the bugs were graphical issues.  You know why it had lack of content because it takes a lot longer to design and create things when the graphics are that detailed.  WoW didnt take over 2 years to fix and it the game works and still looks decent on low end PCs at the time.

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

Some people are pretending it didn't even happen lol.

Setting the record straight.

Your an idiot. 

Doesnt change the fact that Disney's target audience is children,which EQN 'coincidentally' looks like,a Disney film.

By your logic Family Guy and Venture Brothers are targeted towards children yet the content says otherwise.  Disney likes to target all ages and EQN seems to be the same.  When I went to watch Toy Story and Shrek in theaters I heard the adults and teens laughing genuinely just as much as the kids

• DracomonDracomon Member UncommonPosts: 30

I don't think i see EQN targeting kids so much with this graphic style. But i do feel that they are targeting the WoW players and not the old EQ1 players.

I havn't played WoW since MoP came out and i was really hoping to get away from everything WoW related, even the community. It does look like if i want to get back to my roots i have to look at ESO. Morrowind was my first RPG and EQ1 my first MMO so i guess it was always going to come down to one of them anyway.

Former 65 Dark Elf Shadowknight.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

as for:

Um... WoW is still graphically decent to this day because it used cartoonish graphics that didn't age so badly as other MMOs like Lineage 2 for example. Also a lot of people had problems running EQ2 when it first came out.

Smile

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

Um... WoW is still graphically decent to this day because it used cartoonish graphics that didn't age so badly as other MMOs like Lineage 2 for example. Also a lot of people had problems running EQ2 when it first came out.

Actually a very good point.

High Five to the EQNext Art Director: What a smart lady!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/view/videos/gameID/952/videoId/3190

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

By your logic Family Guy and Venture Brothers are targeted towards children yet the content says otherwise.  Disney likes to target all ages and EQN seems to be the same.  When I went to watch Toy Story and Shrek in theaters I heard the adults and teens laughing genuinely just as much as the kids

A bit late in responses here, but since you replied to one of my comments, I'll go ahead and contribute. First off, Disney has film studios and distribution labels under it (as well as much more), so there is a lot to go with.

The Nightmare Before Christmas. Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

If we move away from Disney, there are plenty of cartoons with adult material.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Hmmm me thinks you don't get out much...anyway check any movies under the Touchstone banner since it is owned by Disney. Also Dreamworks Studio often produces movies that are released under the Disney/Touchstone banner:

2011 I Am Number Four DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment and Bay Films Novel by Pittacus Lore
    August 10, 2011 The Help DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, Imagenation Abu Dhabi, Reliance Entertainment and 1492 Pictures Novel by Kathryn Stockett
    August 19, 2011 Fright Night DreamWorks Studios and Reliance Entertainment Remake of the 1985 film of the same name
    October 7, 2011 Real Steel DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, ImageMovers and 21 Laps Entertainment Steel by Richard Matheson
    December 25, 2011 War Horse DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, Amblin Entertainment and The Kennedy/Marshall Company Novel by Michael Morpurgo
    June 29, 2012 People Like Us DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment and K/O Paper Products  
    November 9, 2012 Lincoln

Yeah...but keep believing Disney is just for kids...

Anyway to comment on the OP, like others have stated. Art style does not equate immaturity. Leisure Suit Larry, Sam & Max, The Walking Dead, Tales of Monkey Island, The Wolf Among Us and many others. Nice try though.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Good thing about art is that it is subjective. If You are an old eq player and are complaining about the art, hold and stop to think for a second, did the characters consisting of 8 pixels ruin eq for You ? The game is what matters in the end, and if the game rock then the artstyle will be secondary. WoW was cartoonish but I bet You still played it because the game mechanics were good (were.. as in its early days).

Offcourse the character can be an indication of how the acutal game plays but it isnt necessary, and I can't say that I am thrilled with the style they chosen, but it will not be a defining factor. GW2 has amazingly pretty characters but for my taste it failed completely on gameplay, so .. chill for a sec and focus on the more important matters.. the actual game mechanics, features and feel.

Not really, becuase everyone knows that Family guy is Adult content,where as Disney is mostly for children.

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Hmmm me thinks you don't get out much...anyway check any movies under the Touchstone banner since it is owned by Disney. Also Dreamworks Studio often produces movies that are released under the Disney/Touchstone banner:

2011 I Am Number Four DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment and Bay Films Novel by Pittacus Lore
    August 10, 2011 The Help DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, Imagenation Abu Dhabi, Reliance Entertainment and 1492 Pictures Novel by Kathryn Stockett
    August 19, 2011 Fright Night DreamWorks Studios and Reliance Entertainment Remake of the 1985 film of the same name
    October 7, 2011 Real Steel DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, ImageMovers and 21 Laps Entertainment Steel by Richard Matheson
    December 25, 2011 War Horse DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment, Amblin Entertainment and The Kennedy/Marshall Company Novel by Michael Morpurgo
    June 29, 2012 People Like Us DreamWorks Studios, Reliance Entertainment and K/O Paper Products  
    November 9, 2012 Lincoln

Yeah...but keep believing Disney is just for kids...

Anyway to comment on the OP, like others have stated. Art style does not equate immaturity. Leisure Suit Larry, Sam & Max, The Walking Dead, Tales of Monkey Island, The Wolf Among Us and many others. Nice try though.

thats Disney under a different Moniker.Monikers targeting different age ranges..

You wont find the Disney name attached to those Movies front and center.

nice try though

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    I love how the people complaining about childish graphics and Disney qualities have the posting maturity of a 6 year old!

as for:

WoW was never graphically decent.It had sub par graphics out of the gate.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Not really, becuase everyone knows that Family guy is Adult content,where as Disney is mostly for children.

Just change Disney is mostly for children to "Disney is for all ages" and we can end this argument.  Because if we are talking about the character model and the Disney motion pictures that that model imitates, then we are talking about an artstyle that has been used to create entertainment for all ages not just children.

What do you think the prime reason for majority of those issues was? a lot of the bugs were graphical issues.  You know why it had lack of content because it takes a lot longer to design and create things when the graphics are that detailed.  WoW didnt take over 2 years to fix and it the game works and still looks decent on low end PCs at the time.

prove that their problems were graphical based..

VG had a lot of things that were broken,along with major server lag and disconnects.The content however,was there.

AoC,the zones and everything was there..they just didnt add any content to those zones.Doesnt mean it was the graphic engines fault.

WoW also had a company with much more resources behind it than VG or AoC at the time.

This discussion has been closed.