Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Unofficial EQNext Trailer.

13»

Comments

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123

No you cant but when you are a bean counter for focus market group studies before making a HUGE generalized decision such as this one that involves who your generalized target market is?...Its probably not smart to make a decision that completely alienates a portion of your general target market....don't you think?

This Stylized art direction they  have taken is shoved up into the corner fold of one specific spectrum.Their choice.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by Ticklepink

Ok then I can clear this up.

When playing a character in an MMO where I have spells and swords and shields.,. I  don't wanna mix that up with Disney. ok? Disney is for the nights I'm feeling vulnerable and eating a gallon of Icecream..not when I need to kick some Dragon ass.

Not once has Disney ever "immersed" me in one of their stories. Not once was I swept away and pulled into their world of bluebirds sitting on fingers as some princess sang "I'm wishing'.

So there you have it...EQ.......NEXT!...is just that...Ill be looking for the NEXT game to play.

Video games are for nerds. You like that? Well that is what it sounds like when you say cartoons are for children. 

actually I do..

Ive worn the nerd badge openly and proudly,ever since I can remember

And MMOs are for people without lives. You have no social existence or value in this world. That is also what it sounds like when you say cartoons are for children. 

I didnt say all cartoons are,I said Disney/Pixar style movies are..

Their target audience is for kids,if you enjoy it thats your thing.EQN looks like a Disney/Pixar film

Yes and saying that all Disney / Pixar style movies are for kids is the same thing as saying all MMOs are for no life losers. You can't make a broad generalization about an entire genre or culture of people based on your opinion. 

Disney/Pixar films are targeted at children,that is who their main target is.

tell me,when you get home from work and decide to watch some tv,do you flip on the Disney Channel?

I clearly don't flip to the Disney channel, but the Disney channel's ART (which Television is a form of) does not cater to me. There are probably people in every kind of demographic who watch it, but I don't. 

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

No you cant but when you are a bean counter for focus market group studies before making a HUGE generalized decision such as this one that involves who your generalized target market is?...Its probably not smart to make a decision that completely alienates a portion of your general target market....don't you think?

This Stylized art direction they  have taken is shoved up into the corner fold of one specific spectrum.Their choice.

When you have a focus group of people to make a choice like this you are generally trying to cater to the largest audience possible. In this case, if/had they done a focus group oriented test to determine the desire to play a game that looked like this, the game ended up being appealing to a broader audience. It has been proven that games with this type of style are more successful then games without it in the MMO genre time and time again. None of the previous MMOs that looked "realistic" were popular, especially since most games only started looking realistic in the last decade or so. Everquest and Everquest 2 both were pretty cartoony, obviously WoW was, DAOC was, and FF11 was (in the Anime cartoon style). The main ones that try to look more realistic (Conan,TSW) have fallen flat on their face. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

When playing a character in an MMO where I have spells and swords and shields.,. I  don't wanna mix that up with Disney. ok? Disney is for the nights I'm feeling vulnerable and eating a gallon of Icecream..not when I need to kick some Dragon ass.

Not once has Disney ever "immersed" me in one of their stories. Not once was I swept away and pulled into their world of bluebirds sitting on fingers as some princess sang "I'm wishing'.

So there you have it...EQ.......NEXT!...is just that...Ill be looking for the NEXT game to play.

Video games are for nerds. You like that? Well that is what it sounds like when you say cartoons are for children. 

actually I do..

And MMOs are for people without lives. You have no social existence or value in this world. That is also what it sounds like when you say cartoons are for children. 

Their target audience is for kids,if you enjoy it thats your thing.EQN looks like a Disney/Pixar film

Yes and saying that all Disney / Pixar style movies are for kids is the same thing as saying all MMOs are for no life losers. You can't make a broad generalization about an entire genre or culture of people based on your opinion. 

tell me,when you get home from work and decide to watch some tv,do you flip on the Disney Channel?

I clearly don't flip to the Disney channel, but the Disney channel's ART (which Television is a form of) does not cater to me. There are probably people in every kind of demographic who watch it, but I don't. 

im sure majority of adults dont.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

I'm excited about pretty much everything I heard about EQN. The multiclassing (which basically means no hard class restrictions), destructability, permanent change, brilliant AI-- all that stuff is simply amazing. Even the lack of leveling doesn't bother me, as horizontal progression seems to be the future.

But the one and only thing I may have trouble dealing with is the complete lack of catering to a more mature audience.

Then I think about how successful some games were like Minecraft with its 8-bit graphics from the 90's, Runescape with its cartoon-like characters, and even WoW with its overdone fantasy theme, and I wonder how important realistic graphics actually are. Will be interesting to see how this turns out...

Originally posted by drivendawn

actually I do..

Actually a lot of Pixar, Disney  and Warner bros. cartoons try to appeal to adult audiences. There are a number of jokes that are put on their cartoons that are meant for adults and that children just won't get 

maybe because its actually adults who make those cartoons?

just because adults throw in some jokes that kids cant comprehend doesnt mean the target audience is for adults.

Cartoons have always been that way.

actually I do..

Actually a lot of Pixar, Disney  and Warner bros. cartoons try to appeal to adult audiences. There are a number of jokes that are put on their cartoons that are meant for adults and that children just won't get 

just because adults throw in some jokes that kids cant comprehend doesnt mean the target audience is for adults.

Yes I know and that is why me and a lot of other adults I know still watch them.

doesnt make you the majority..

I never denied that cartoons cant be adult oriented..

Family Guy and a lot of the Adult Swim cartoons are adult oriented due to their actions and dialogue..

are we going to see anything as graphic in EQN? highlt doubtful.

All clues point towards TAME

actually I do..

Yes I know and that is why me and a lot of other adults I know still watch them.

doesnt make you the majority..

I never denied that cartoons cant be adult oriented..

Family Guy and a lot of the Adult Swim cartoons are adult oriented due to their actions and dialogue..

are we going to see anything as graphic in EQN? highlt doubtful.

All clues point towards TAME

But they do appeal to an adult audience and not just family guy either. To the first underlined that wasn't my point, my point was that adults are an audience that disney, pixar are after and do get.  However there are more adults I bet than what you think there are. To the second underlined we will see I guess. I'm betting there will be quite a few adult orientated things in the game. 

I have yet to see a Disney and co. preview,with this sort of graphical art style,jump out at the adult demographic and say "come watch me"..

but we shall see indeed..

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I could actually go with the graphics, even though they are 3x more cartoony than wow.  I remember people saying wow was cartoony, but personally I never saw it that way.  This time I do see it that way.  But thats ok, if they can have decent combat (not like what was shown) then I can still go with it.  I will give it a chance, but will be going in expecting to need a miracle.