Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The childification of Everquest.

Comments

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

I think more people are having problem with this artstyle because there is no details in the facial features.

I mean don't get me wrong.  There are people that absolutely hate the artstyle choice even after the finished product is released.  But I believe the faces will look slightly less Disney when details are added.

I wish i could find the pics comparing SWTOR's faces in beta compared to release and you could definitely see a difference.  The plastic look of the characters went away when the details were added in.

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123

atleast now we know what the mounts will look like in EQ....NEXT!!

• timetopattimetopat Member UncommonPosts: 12

Whats really childish is equating the look of something to its maturity.  

You say that fans of the art style are babies but you come off as child yourself with your posts.  

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by ViewDoo
    Originally posted by Ticklepink

Point is they made a decision that has completely severed any type of plans I may have had to test their game out via even beta.i certainly wouldn't pay to download this.

Yep, that's pretty much my opinion on the look of EQN. Let me expand a little bit on it also.

I will start by saying that the art style isn't offensive to me of itself, it only makes me want to vomit while laughing when I see that this is what SOE is calling EverQuest in 2013. This is anime inspired, 100%. Look at any Korean/Chinese/Japanese FTP out there thats where the exaggerated physique comes from the big eyes ect. I like anime, and some of the FTP eastern games are a blast to play, this is suppose to be EverQuest. My question is how much can you change, and still call it that?

Its funny looking at the new batch of eastern mmos coming out like Black Desert and Archage. Their character styles (the human ones) are becoming more realistic while the west is becoming more exaggerated/manga like.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by tkreep

Bioshock, Fable, Darksiders, Prince of Persia, Kingdoms of Amalaur used similar art styles and I dont see those games as childish.  I dont see Family Guy, Venture Brothers or Simpsons as childish either.  Because its the type of content that determines if something is childish in my opinion.

And even pixar movies like Toy Story and Racket Ralph have things both adults and children can appreciate and like.

+1. Some people like to make assumptions on appearance alone. Some people think if you like cartoons then you're automatically immature. These people roll characters low in intelligence and wisdom image

Originally posted by fistorm

Top left:  World of Warcraft

Right: Eq Next

Bottom Left: ESO/Skyrim

Draw your own conclusions...

I like how they pick the hairstyles the same for EQN and WoW but not Skyrim. Biased much?

Anyways, I seen the ESO game and its supposedly a lot farther along in development than EQN.  I can definitly say I was more immersed in what I saw in EQN then ESO.  Which is a shame because I was so looking forward to ESO.

Originally posted by shamall
    Originally posted by ViewDoo

Point is they made a decision that has completely severed any type of plans I may have had to test their game out via even beta.i certainly wouldn't pay to download this.

Yep, that's pretty much my opinion on the look of EQN. Let me expand a little bit on it also.

I will start by saying that the art style isn't offensive to me of itself, it only makes me want to vomit while laughing when I see that this is what SOE is calling EverQuest in 2013. This is anime inspired, 100%. Look at any Korean/Chinese/Japanese FTP out there thats where the exaggerated physique comes from the big eyes ect. I like anime, and some of the FTP eastern games are a blast to play, this is suppose to be EverQuest. My question is how much can you change, and still call it that?

Its funny looking at the new batch of eastern mmos coming out like Black Desert and Archage. Their character styles (the human ones) are becoming more realistic while the west is becoming more exaggerated/manga like.

Because when it comes to entertainment, the west is way ahead of the east.  What even more funny is if you look at all anime in all genre of game sthe most popular anime games are the more cartoony ones.......

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by jerlot65

I think more people are having problem with this artstyle because there is no details in the facial features.

I mean don't get me wrong.  There are people that absolutely hate the artstyle choice even after the finished product is released.  But I believe the faces will look slightly less Disney when details are added.

I wish i could find the pics comparing SWTOR's faces in beta compared to release and you could definitely see a difference.  The plastic look of the characters went away when the details were added in.

I think there are two things:

Some people have a low maturity level and equate 'cartoony' with children.  These are probably the same people who will tell you Mists of Pandaria copied Kung Fu Panda.

Some people are tired of the artstyle and was hoping it wouldnt creep into EQ

I can sympathize with the second group, the first group are pretty pathetic though.

I personally dont mind the art style at all though.  I would have preferred something closer to EQ1 also, but I dont hate this.  Mainly because i think the world looks pretty amazing.

• PicchuPicchu Member UncommonPosts: 20

At the very most, the EQN faces look like they're around 25 while the EQ faces look around 30.

Didn't know 25 years old is still a child.

And I'd take the EQN faces any day. At least those don't look constipated.

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

I actually think it gets better in EQN XD

To each of their own then...

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

The people that let cartoon graphics prevent them from playing a game are usually very insecure. If anything is immature and childish it's these threads complaining about the art style, I'm guessing that most of the people complaining are males 18-25 years old, how ironic.

Edit: 15-25 years old.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by tommygunzII
    The people that let cartoon graphics prevent them from playing a game are usually very insecure. If anything is immature and childish it's these threads complaining about the art style, I'm guessing that most of the people complaining are males 18-25 years old, how ironic.

I still dont see how preference translates to insecurity.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

if game looks childish, then anime is for 6 year old childs.stop trolling.

Terrible Analogy. Can't compare cartoon to anime.
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by tommygunzII

I still dont see how preference translates to insecurity.

I can make some good examples, but I don't want to offend any more than I have already. I didn't want to say anything but this is getting out of hand.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

atleast now we know what the mounts will look like in EQ....NEXT!!

LMAO, I couldnt stop laughing for the last ten mins!!!!  Cause its so TRUE!

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Juaks

if game looks childish, then anime is for 6 year old childs.

stop trolling.

Yes you can. Pretty sure there are art courses, credits, and degrees concerning this to a certain amount.

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

"Because we played the game for years you devs have to obey our order or else you're just a bunch of traitors!!!"

Geez... 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i am totally OK with how the female looks. The Male, however, looks like a white homeless version of Aladdin....

At least now i know ill be playing Females in this game as well.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    The top two look like cartoons.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by fistorm

Top left:  World of Warcraft

Right: Eq Next

Bottom Left: ESO/Skyrim

Draw your own conclusions...

ESO looks great.  EQN looks great...thats my conclusion

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Isawa

stop trolling.

Yes you can. Pretty sure there are art courses, credits, and degrees concerning this to a certain amount.

name me one Disney/Pixar film that targets an adult audience and I will name an anime counterpart.

GO!!

Basilisk

Originally posted by rojo6934

i am totally OK with how the female looks. The Male, however, looks like a white homeless version of Aladdin....

At least now i know ill be playing Females in this game as well.

What about this male from another EQN shot

Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Isawa

stop trolling.

name me one Disney/Pixar film that targets an adult audience and I will name an anime counterpart.

GO!!

Basilisk

I like regular american cartoons as well as Anime but disney does have elements in their movies that targeted towards adult appeal.  Gargoyles had a pretty damn complex story and was dark and violent filled with interesting characters even characters from shakespears stories like McBeth and Overon.  Wreck it ralph is filled with nostalgia for Adults who grew up with majority of the games the movie shows and its style of the worlds the movie has.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Alders

I understand people want dark and gritty Skyrim art style, that i understand. 

But the new art style looks miles better than anything in EQ1 or 2.

agree!

so do I.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    EQ1: Graphically terrible by todays standards. EQ2: A ton of people complained about the graphics because they couldn't even run the game when it first came out (not only that but it's aged terribly). EQ Next graphics: Not seeing a problem...

Smile

This discussion has been closed.