Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The childification of Everquest.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Some people are pretending it didn't even happen lol.

Setting the record straight.

EQ1 characters on top, EQNext characters below.

Comments

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    It's almost an admission of failure you know?..it's like "Hey we can't keep up with the asians graphics machines or the Skyrims of the US...so..yea..that's the story!!..we are going in a new innovative "different" direction!!"..I don't buy it.I won't buy it.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Not seeing a problem. Different game, different art style.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

The ones on the top look absolutely terrible.

Perhaps if EQ1 actually looked good, then people would have a reason to complain.

I understand people want dark and gritty Skyrim art style, that i understand.  But the new art style looks miles better than anything in EQ1 or 2.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Ticklepink
    It's almost an admission of failure you know?..it's like "Hey we can't keep up with the asians graphics machines or the Skyrims of the US...so..yea..that's the story!!..we are going in a new innovative "different" direction!!"..I don't buy it.I won't buy it.

Personally, I think the pics above show a natural progression (if you toss in EQ2 as well).

Can't understand why people want EQN to look like Skyrim or one of many eastern games. They all have a very distinct look and if EQN actually did look like TESO, everyone would be having a fit that it was a clone...

Yes EQN is similar to WoW/Wildstar, but the level of detail is quite a bit better and characters look alive.

Pixar is being used as a comparison. Pixar games are timeless and top of their class. I feel more immersed watching Toy Story then watching TESO demos with dead looking character models, not to mention everything been black/brown/grey...so thrilling, 

• QuixoticMcGeeQuixoticMcGee Member Posts: 2

I don't think it's reasonable to equate immaturity and childishness with a less realistic art style. That will depend on the tone of the story, lore, and community, not the Pixar graphics.

Was this what I was expecting considering EQ1 and EQ2s graphic styles? No, but it's not bad either.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

Pretty soon SOE might start forcing full grown men to start crying at bambi showings on the disney channel.

ahhhhh the gut wrenching.   Cant you feel your gut just swell up when you see those new cartoons.

I can see men telling thier guy friends over some beers, Look at my awesome disney character.

Hell, one good thing we get to see, is what it will look like when a Disney Character gets drunk! lmao

And the lion...  ROAR! wheres that jungle boy.  I'm going to eat him.  Real scary....  lol.

PERHAPS..... ITS TIME TO DROP THE JOLLY RANCHERS AND STEP OUT OF THE SANDBOX.   

(oh yes I did!)

+

=

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Bioshock, Fable, Darksiders, Prince of Persia, Kingdoms of Amalaur used similar art styles and I dont see those games as childish.  I dont see Family Guy, Venture Brothers or Simpsons as childish either.  Because its the type of content that determines if something is childish in my opinion.

And even pixar movies like Toy Story and Racket Ralph have things both adults and children can appreciate and like.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    the only childish thing i see here, is gamers whining over an actually decent (if not grat) artstyle. art is the word. EQ had always terrible gfx - so its (like everything else EQN showed us till now) a step forward.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Alders

I understand people want dark and gritty Skyrim art style, that i understand. 

But the new art style looks miles better than anything in EQ1 or 2.

agree!

I think its childish and immature when adults relate their maturity to an art design because it only shows how insecure they are of their own maturity so they gravitate to a specific style that makes them feel mature.  Like how some teenagers that smoke or drink and date older people to make them selves feel like they are more mature than the ones that dont.
  • helothelot Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I might be able to live with the human faces.   But that armor.   Christ.    I just can't take pride in my character looking like that.   I won't bother questing for armor that looks like cartoon ass.   
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    At least on the positive side the characters don't look like they are frozen like some botox overdose patient
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

if game looks childish, then anime is for 6 year old childs.

stop trolling.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I don't know about childification but there's definitely some mortally challenged equine abuse going on in these forums.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    The first one is definitely more manly as that chick certainly looks very mannish. I guess if you are into awkward manly women and rigid animations...

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Not sure what you are trying to get people to see. Looks great to me. I dont think its gonna be launched tomorrow so relax your just sitting on the out side looking in and your voice has no weight.

if you  keep expecting the game to look like play like then no matter what if will fail for you. 

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    This was one of the areas that they couldn't win no matter what.  The art direction they chose works well with the way they are using voxels, but your going to have one group complaining about it looking childish and cartoony.  On the other side if they had went with a realistic art style the other group of people would be complaining about it being to demanding on hardware, or that it looks dull.  Both of which were complaints made about eq2 when it launched.  My feelings are if a games graphics are keeping you from playing it even if the gameplay is amazing then your standards are too shallow to begin with, and you probably aren't the type of player that makes a meaningful contribution to a game or community.  
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Alders

I understand people want dark and gritty Skyrim art style, that i understand. 

But the new art style looks miles better than anything in EQ1 or 2.

agree!

I disagree - IMO EQ1 art still looks better, because it has its own unique flavor. When I see it I know its EQ1.

I look at the new EQN art - I see Disney.

What do you mean its own style? thats how plenty of games that went for high polygon graphics at that time looked both single player and multiplayer games.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I believe their decision to go the route they chose will ultimately prove them right.

Games that have advanced visuals have their own problems. Think about development time, animations and whatever else that comes from having advanced gfx.

The uncanny valley hypothesis is (completely?) side-stepped by not going the "OMG photo realistic!" route.

The aesthetics will be pleasing to a larger audience. Think of the games that boast near photo realistic characters and how fugly they still manage to look to many people. I've lost count of the amount of mods I've had to throw at Skyrim just to get the characters from looking like ass.

One last thing I can think of that this aesthetic route will help out EQN is in the palette. They can get away with more and not have to rely on 50 different shades of caca or a subdued palette (because...realism, yeah).

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by NBlitz

I believe their decision to go the route they chose will ultimately prove them right.

Games that have advanced visuals have their own problems. Think about development time, animations and whatever else that comes from having advanced gfx.

The uncanny valley hypothesis is (completely?) side-stepped by not going the "OMG photo realistic!" route.

The aesthetics will be pleasing to a larger audience. Think of the games that boast near photo realistic characters and how fugly they still manage to look to many people. I've lost count of the amount of mods I've had to throw at Skyrim just to get the characters from looking like ass.

One last thing I can think of that this aesthetic route will help out EQN is in the palette. They can get away with more and not have to rely on 50 different shades of caca or a subdued palette (because...realism, yeah).

In this day and age I can create an animated stick figure battling a stick figure dragon..make it F2P with a P2W shop that sells stick figure swords and claim it was a success.Then..I can keep count of the millions of suckers who peek in and download my software and call them active subs and claim its a success.

Point is they made a decision that has completely severed any type of plans I may have had to test their game out via even beta.i certainly wouldn't pay to download this.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

Top left:  World of Warcraft

Right: Eq Next

Bottom Left: ESO/Skyrim

Draw your own conclusions...

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by QuixoticMcGee

I don't think it's reasonable to equate immaturity and childishness with a less realistic art style. That will depend on the tone of the story, lore, and community, not the Pixar graphics.

Was this what I was expecting considering EQ1 and EQ2s graphic styles? No, but it's not bad either.

Quite so. Most of these points of view have a very thinly veiled 'I don't like the art direction, if you do you are childish/immature' attached. Mildly offensive really (though art style is low on my list f concerns).

• AdokaumAdokaum Member UncommonPosts: 84

I've not problem with western animation or goofy styles for characters in general. I enjoy all sorts of content whether it's more aimed at adults or children.  

I feel that there are far too many games (mmos in particular) that are striving for this stylized cell shaded-ish exaggerated look. There is already Firefall (closest resemblance to EQN) Wildstar , Torchlight,  Bioshock,  Dishonored, Borderlands etc. It seems like the go to style for characters in the current generation. It's cool and all but I just want to look like a standard steel plated knight strolling through pine forests slaying wolves. I don't want all this exaggerated exotic aesthetic. Give me my classic western fantasy look, after all that is what the everquest universe is.

I don't mind the human faces too much I have a problem when they exaggerate body proportions. My human male looking all stumpy legged, huge feet with a huge torso and big hands. I can't really feel badass playing a character like that nor can I relate to it.  The novelty races are suffering the most from this art style imo, if the Kerran is something to go by I don’t even want to imagine how ridiculous the frogloks, iksar or ratongas will look.

Extreme Example (Torchlight 1 Destroyer)

I am not even asking for a change of this to grim witcher like aesthetic or more “realism”, whatever that means. The game already has pretty realistic graphics and even the characters look good technically, it's their anatomy that bothers me. No doubt the monsters will probably have same goofy look as well ;( 

If they changed the characters to look more normal and less exaggerated that will change absolutely nothing technically speaking, like most of you seem to think. It will not require more rams or cpu's or anything like that, changing their proportions will not take away from the overall style of the game either. Whether you make your characters bobble heads or not it will still have the same aesthetic because of the engine.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Did the evidence of "childification" get removed form the op?  I only saw pics of the character models

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268
    Originally posted by Ticklepink

Point is they made a decision that has completely severed any type of plans I may have had to test their game out via even beta.i certainly wouldn't pay to download this.

Yep, that's pretty much my opinion on the look of EQN. Let me expand a little bit on it also.

I will start by saying that the art style isn't offensive to me of itself, it only makes me want to vomit while laughing when I see that this is what SOE is calling EverQuest in 2013. This is anime inspired, 100%. Look at any Korean/Chinese/Japanese FTP out there thats where the exaggerated physique comes from the big eyes ect. I like anime, and some of the FTP eastern games are a blast to play, this is suppose to be EverQuest. My question is how much can you change, and still call it that?

This discussion has been closed.