Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Unofficial EQNext Trailer.

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Ticklepink
    People said the same thing about WoW having cartoony graphics back in the early 2000s when it was announced. Turned out to be the biggest MMO in history. Funny how that turned out. People like different art styles. Honestly if you don't like the art style so much that you are going to shout at the top of your lungs "KIDDIE GAME" then you have some serious issues. Its like the guys who refuse to see a movie like Despicable Me because it has cartoon graphics. Its cool though, the rest of us who are comfortable with our sexuality and masculinity will be just fine being entertained by this kind of art style. 

actually no,they didn't. Blizzards first game trailer was ground breaking in the Industry at that time.And no one expected the game to live up to the trailers graphics because  game engines simply weren't available to the general public to support that level of graphics..now..they are. And taking 3 steps back graphics wise to justify blowing up trees and digging holes is unacceptable.

Lol Blizzard's Trailers don't have anything to do with the game. I am just saying that people who think the graphics are for children are the same guys who are insecure about their masculinity. If you simply don't like the art style feel free to let us know, but don't claim that it is only for children. It is clearly not. 

looks like it is certainly aimed at children..

I would not want to be your friend. You probably refuse to watch anime, anything Pixar or Disney, and any other cartoon too. How manly of you. Oh yeah, not to mention unwilling to play most video games in existence. 

look at you,acting like you know me..

Ive been playing games since atari

Ive been playing MMO's since EQ1 and Asherons Call

I watch anime,ones that are for adult audiences(no,not hentai)

Its called a matter of preference.

cover yourself up,your ignorance is showing.

The irony here is that you just proved my point. Anime, to a lot of poeople, is also for children. I know there are a ton of anime that appeal to adults and you do as well. Just as well as the graphics in this game being something that can appeal to adults as well.

You claim to not like the art style, which is fine. But you also claim that the game is "for children" due to the art style yet claim that the anime you watch is not. Contradict yourself much?

except Anime has been known for a long time to cater to all audiences..

Disney like movies,not so much.

Originally posted by jerlot65
    People said the same thing about WoW having cartoony graphics back in the early 2000s when it was announced. Turned out to be the biggest MMO in history. Funny how that turned out. People like different art styles. Honestly if you don't like the art style so much that you are going to shout at the top of your lungs "KIDDIE GAME" then you have some serious issues. Its like the guys who refuse to see a movie like Despicable Me because it has cartoon graphics. Its cool though, the rest of us who are comfortable with our sexuality and masculinity will be just fine being entertained by this kind of art style. 

actually no,they didn't. Blizzards first game trailer was ground breaking in the Industry at that time.And no one expected the game to live up to the trailers graphics because  game engines simply weren't available to the general public to support that level of graphics..now..they are. And taking 3 steps back graphics wise to justify blowing up trees and digging holes is unacceptable.

Lol Blizzard's Trailers don't have anything to do with the game. I am just saying that people who think the graphics are for children are the same guys who are insecure about their masculinity. If you simply don't like the art style feel free to let us know, but don't claim that it is only for children. It is clearly not. 

I would not want to be your friend. You probably refuse to watch anime, anything Pixar or Disney, and any other cartoon too. How manly of you. Oh yeah, not to mention unwilling to play most video games in existence. 

If its matter of preference then leave it at that.  Why go so far to call it childish?  Seems like you are being ignorant.  As for the graphics they are a bit too Disney like (so far), but I much rather have this then a realistic game. 

Exactly. 

you say im being ignorant,then you agree that the game looks too Disney like..

which is it?

IM not calling for a realistic game either, im calling for a mix of stylized and realistic.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

The irony here is that you just proved my point. Anime, to a lot of poeople, is also for children. I know there are a ton of anime that appeal to adults and you do as well. Just as well as the graphics in this game being something that can appeal to adults as well.

You claim to not like the art style, which is fine. But you also claim that the game is "for children" due to the art style yet claim that the anime you watch is not. Contradict yourself much?

And Disney movies have also been known for a long time to cater to all audiences. 

Originally posted by Toxia

Them's some tiny straws you're grasping there...

he's gotta hold on to something.

I can clearly see what the two of you are holding onto ;) 

And Disney movies have also been known for a long time to cater to all audiences. 

not the ones who crave something a little more,that would scare the lil kiddies.

I can clearly see what the two of you are holding onto ;) 

how childish of you.

not the ones who crave something a little more,that would scare the lil kiddies.

So I guess that means most people watching Anime can't watch those realistic "real life" movies because they are so scary. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Celcius.

I don't like the EQN style because it too cartoonish - in a childish way.  I agree with you.  Not all cartoons are for children.  

For example, I wouldn't call it "childish if EQN used a cartoonish style like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylzO9vbEpPg

or like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh7s32XRScQ

or even adult anime like

It would still be "cartoonish" and not necessarily appropriate for Everquest, but it would not be "childish".  The style chosen for EQN however, is nothing like any of these "Adult" animated films.  It is - according to the devs themselves even - most similar to Pixar's style - a style that is used to make children's films.  (Adults enjoying them doesn't change the fact that they are films for children.  I enjoyed Rambo at 7 years old, doesn't change that it's a film for adults.)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

So I guess that means most people watching Anime can't watch those realistic "real life" movies because they are so scary. 

not really,because they know what they are getting themselves into..

Just like they know what they are getting themselves into when they watch a Disney movie..

Originally posted by arieste

I don't like the EQN style because it too cartoonish - in a childish way.  I agree with you.  Not all cartoons are for children.  

or like

or even adult anime like

It would still be "cartoonish" and not necessarily appropriate for Everquest, but it would not be "childish".  The style chosen for EQN however, is nothing like any of these "Adult" animated films.  It is - according to the devs themselves even - most similar to Pixar's style - a style that is used to make children's films.  (Adults enjoying them doesn't change the fact that they are films for children.  I enjoyed Rambo at 7 years old, doesn't change that it's a film for adults.)

This argument holds far more water. The fact is that movies,television,ect all have varying art styles. You can't just pick one and say it is ONLY FOR KIDS when clearly it is not. The argument that the art style is not "Everquest" is absolutely relevant and I can see why someone would avoid this game simply because it is not the same game franchise they grew up with. The thing is about Everquest Next is that it is trying to get a new audience, which will include some people from the old one. 

Adults enjoying cartoon games does not mean that they are for adults or children. If I watch a Disney movie I don't magically turn into a child. Every art style can work with any age. I would say the more childish thing here is saying that a particular art style caters to a specific brand of people. 

or like

or even adult anime like

Im no fan of cartoon graphics in my MMOs

but I could accept those a lot more than what EQN is looking like.

or like

or even adult anime like

This argument holds far more water. The fact is that movies,television,ect all have varying art styles. You can't just pick one and say it is ONLY FOR KIDS when clearly it is not. The argument that the art style is not "Everquest" is absolutely relevant and I can see why someone would avoid this game simply because it is not the same game franchise they grew up with. The thing is about Everquest Next is that it is trying to get a new audience, which will include some people from the old one. 

Adults enjoying cartoon games does not mean that they are for adults or children. If I watch a Disney movie I don't magically turn into a child. Every art style can work with any age. I would say the more childish thing here is saying that a particular art style caters to a specific brand of people. 

Show me any pixar/disney style film that targets an adult audience with those type of graphics.

or like

or even adult anime like

But those are too cartoony. Must be for children!

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

or like

or even adult anime like

This person gets it. You win!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123

Ok then I can clear this up.

When playing a character in an MMO where I have spells and swords and shields.,. I  don't wanna mix that up with Disney. ok? Disney is for the nights I'm feeling vulnerable and eating a gallon of Icecream..not when I need to kick some Dragon ass.

Not once has Disney ever "immersed" me in one of their stories. Not once was I swept away and pulled into their world of bluebirds sitting on fingers as some princess sang "I'm wishing'.

So there you have it...EQ.......NEXT!...is just that...Ill be looking for the NEXT game to play.

When playing a character in an MMO where I have spells and swords and shields.,. I  don't wanna mix that up with Disney. ok? Disney is for the nights I'm feeling vulnerable and eating a gallon of Icecream..not when I need to kick some Dragon ass.

Not once has Disney ever "immersed" me in one of their stories. Not once was I swept away and pulled into their world of bluebirds sitting on fingers as some princess sang "I'm wishing'.

So there you have it...EQ.......NEXT!...is just that...Ill be looking for the NEXT game to play.

Video games are for nerds. You like that? Well that is what it sounds like when you say cartoons are for children. 

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

or like

or even adult anime like

What you like in those children disney movie is most likely the second degree in em that you simply wouldn't understand as a kid.

As for eq next presented graphics they do look more ''childish'' to me. The same way Naruto style is more childish than ninja scroll.

Could still end up being a nice game, and I understand they are trying to cater to more player, but I can certainly understand that a lot of people won't like it.

or like

or even adult anime like

But those are too cartoony. Must be for children!

if you say so...

looks more adult to me.

Video games are for nerds. You like that? Well that is what it sounds like when you say cartoons are for children. 

actually I do..

Ive worn the nerd badge openly and proudly,ever since I can remember

actually I do..

And MMOs are for people without lives. You have no social existence or value in this world. That is also what it sounds like when you say cartoons are for children. 

actually I do..

And MMOs are for people without lives. You have no social existence or value in this world. That is also what it sounds like when you say cartoons are for children. 

I didnt say all cartoons are,I said Disney/Pixar style movies are..

Their target audience is for kids,if you enjoy it thats your thing.EQN looks like a Disney/Pixar film

actually I do..

Their target audience is for kids,if you enjoy it thats your thing.EQN looks like a Disney/Pixar film

Yes and saying that all Disney / Pixar style movies are for kids is the same thing as saying all MMOs are for no life losers. You can't make a broad generalization about an entire genre or culture of people based on your opinion. 

actually I do..

Yes and saying that all Disney / Pixar style movies are for kids is the same thing as saying all MMOs are for no life losers. You can't make a broad generalization about an entire genre or culture of people based on your opinion. 

Disney/Pixar films are targeted at children,that is who their main target is.

tell me,when you get home from work and decide to watch some tv,do you flip on the Disney Channel?

• Tashani7Tashani7 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Hah that trailer is great! Nice job.

I must say I have to agree with OP, this is definitely looking like it caters to a younger crowd. In fact, while watching the 'worldwide reveal' of Everquest Next' on Twitch TV, my 8 year old daughter was watching it with me as well. The first thing she said when she saw the female human shown was "hey Daddy she looks alot like Rapunzel, that is going to be awesome I want to play!". I simply laughed, as I felt great that she was so thrilled about the appearance, but for ME personally as a veteran of the original EQ when I started the game in 1999 and played for almost 6 years, I was pretty disappointed in the character style; but the environment didn't look so bad. Overall, these character models are outstanding...for my 8 year old girl! For me, not so much.