Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Class and Race poll !

2»

Comments

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

Female Seeker of the Sun Miqo'te.

"Raid" as a Thaumaturge/Black Mage or Arcanist/Summoner, heal smaller group content as a Conjurer/White Mage, and general purpose questing as a Lancer, which seemed to offer high efficiency with little hassle.  Gathering and crafting will also be a focus early on for me.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Dfix

You could level your Anarchist to level 30 ...

If that was actually a class in XIV I would totally play that :)

My bad, Arcanist. lol

Vivik-Cerberus
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Mr_Mechanical
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by WellzyC

From my understanding all classes goto 50, but you can equip an orb you get through a quest to turn into your job.

Maybe classes cant goto 50, i dont know for sure.  But what ever, just have fun with the poll.

All classes can goto 50. Classes give more freedom in using skills from other classes and best for soloing or small teams. Jobs are more focused and more for teamed/raid events. 

Exactly this. 

So, how do you then distinguish between leveling up your say Gladiator as opposed to Paladin when they use the same weapon and active class/job is determined by weapon?

The simple answer? There is no difference. Your paladin will always be the same level as your Gladiator.  You can unlock Paladin at level 50 gladiator and it will be level 50. The only use for jobs in the game is group content. Same goes for SMN and SCH. You could level your Anarchist to level 30 and unlock both SMN and SCH, level your anarchist to 50 never touching either job and they will both be 50 when you equip the job stones.

I can't wait.

This is fantastic, and so well thought out.    I really loved the subjob system in FFXI and I was a bit let down that they didn't keep it, but now I finally have a full understanding of the new "Armory System" and I really dig it.    I see what they did.

There is, however, one part of the system I'd like a clearer understanding of.    When I'm a class, say, Conjurer, and I have it at level 20, and let's say I also have a Thaumaturge  at 20, while I'm active on either one, how many of the other's abilities can I equip on my bar? What are the limits?  I assume there is some way to make sure that you can't just use all of another class' abilities while on a different one.

would love an answer to this :) 

1 spell/skill per 5 levels is what I read. So if you are level 10 you can have 2 skills from another class you leveled.

That's true of the number of ability *slots* you get, but only certain abilities are transferrable. I had a spreadsheet but I'm not on my home pc...a pad instead...google 'ffxiv arr skill spreadsheet' or something...

Edit-- btw - male hyur conjurer - considering miqote because they seem to have more character than hyurs...and better healing stats...bah...

• DraucantDraucant Member UncommonPosts: 34

Classes get 1 cross class skill every 5 levels.  Jobs get 1 every 10 levels.  But to off set this jobs also get 5 specific skills that no other class/job can use, those 5 skills from the Job enhance the role of the class.  

As for what you can use from cross class abilities, mage jobs can not use any TP based attack moves, and non-mage jobs cant use any magic attack moves. Most of the buffs can be used  on another class, as well as cure, stoneskin, and protect.

Usually its the first 30 levels of every class that you can choose a cross class skill, there are some that are higher.

Even though MRD/WAR is classified as a Tank, im going to try out MRD as a DD/DPS  with my LS/FC with a bunch of different cross class skills, really hoping its possible lol

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Draucant

Classes get 1 cross class skill every 5 levels.  Jobs get 1 every 10 levels.  But to off set this jobs also get 5 specific skills that no other class/job can use, those 5 skills from the Job enhance the role of the class.  

As for what you can use from cross class abilities, mage jobs can not use any TP based attack moves, and non-mage jobs cant use any magic attack moves. Most of the buffs can be used  on another class, as well as cure, stoneskin, and protect.

Usually its the first 30 levels of every class that you can choose a cross class skill, there are some that are higher.

Even though MRD/WAR is classified as a Tank, im going to try out MRD as a DD/DPS  with my LS/FC with a bunch of different cross class skills, really hoping its possible lol

wait, i can tank as a mrd/war? so I could go that route instead of glad/pally?  (would be helpful to this  thread  if someone posted the info on what all classes could be)

TANK:

MRD/WAR

GLA/PLD

DPS:

LNC/DRG

THM/BLM

PGL/MNK

ARC/BRD(Also support)

ARN/SMN(We don't have a lot of info, but it could be similar to BRD where it also helps others)

HEALER:

CNJ/WHM

ARN/SCH

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Wow times have changed, Gladiator is leading, which im going to be. Back In ffxi days it was hard to find a tank or healer, but nowadays I guss more people wanna play those jobs now. Hope I can still get a party as quick as I could with ffxi.

Actually in ffxi I was a whm main, but for ffxiv arr im going to be a gladiator/paladin. Guss I got sick of being on the back row the whole time. Gona be fun tanking huge dragons :)

edit: oh I just saw conjurer is in last place... guss the healer role is gona still be hard to find, much more than the tanking role.... maybe.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by Dzone

Wow times have changed, Gladiator is leading, which im going to be. Back In ffxi days it was hard to find a tank or healer, but nowadays I guss more people wanna play those jobs now. Hope I can still get a party as quick as I could with ffxi.

Actually in ffxi I was a whm main, but for ffxiv arr im going to be a gladiator/paladin. Guss I got sick of being on the back row the whole time. Gona be fun tanking huge dragons :)

edit: oh I just saw conjurer is in last place... guss the healer role is gona still be hard to find, much more than the tanking role.... maybe.

I'm sure once scholar is in and people can actually play the jobs (like white mage), this will change to some degree. But yeah, the fact that GLD is leading is surprising - that it is far more popular a tank than MRD, not as much imo.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

ARN/SMN first probably.

Any info about summons btw? Do I have to micro-manage them a lot?

(Because that would be out of my playstyle a little.)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Lots of Gladiator love... interesting?

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Lots of Gladiator love... interesting?

Annoying, i might just start of with a dragoon instead of gladiator then, but i think ppl might be choosing a tank/healer class first, since that way they can quest through to 50, and the pick a dps class and grind, which is faster, might be the reason.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    elezen pugilist here i come. 
  • MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Are you making a male or female character?

Based on this poll, I think we will have ourselves quite the sausage party

• KirkisKirkis Member UncommonPosts: 19

TANK:

MRD/WAR

GLA/PLD

DPS:

LNC/DRG

THM/BLM

PGL/MNK

ARC/BRD(Also support)

ARN/SMN(We don't have a lot of info, but it could be similar to BRD where it also helps others)

HEALER:

CNJ/WHM

ARN/SCH

you forgot that ARN is SMN/SCH   =)

Originally posted by Kirkis

TANK:

MRD/WAR

GLA/PLD

DPS:

LNC/DRG

THM/BLM

PGL/MNK

ARC/BRD(Also support)

HEALER:

CNJ/WHM

ARN/SCH

you forgot that ARN is SMN/SCH   =)

Its in the list =P I separated them because SMN and SCH are different.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67

Female Miqo'te is the only thing I'm reasonably sure of. I don't mind that Miqo'te will be common.

I played archer and thm in beta and enjoyed both, and I'm also interested in trying arcanist. So we'll see.