Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat telegraphing needs to go...Poll

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Overall  I really like the little bit we have see of EQNEXT. However one thing that stood out i didn't like was the red circles all over the ground telegraphing to players that an attack is on the way. I personally believe this entire concept has dumbed down games. So this is a poll to see who's with me they should remove the combat telegraphing... As soon as I'm able I will also post on the official site about it.. But I would love to see a movement here to starts to get it to go.

Comments

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Poorly worded poll. A poll needs to be neutral.

Bad poll:

What server you you prefer:

1) PvP, I'm hardcore badass!

2) PvE, I'm a carebear.

Good poll:

What server you you prefer:

1) PvP

2) PvE

I agree.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    What about I don't care and will be playing EQN
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Telegraphs have been in games since the dawn of time. I'm guessing what you don't like is the giant circles on the ground.

This is not a game.

• gjaxongjaxon Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I completely disagree with your assessment of the combat model adopted by some of the newer games.  After playing games like TERA and Neverwinter I find that combat is more engaging and requires an even deeper level of concentration than older games.  The trick for making it work is having a UI that allows players to play the game without worrying about what buttons to push.  People want to play the video game not the UI.  So I look forward to games like EQ Next and Wildstar that have developed combat systems engage the players and reward them for watching the monitor and not their keyboard.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Personally I don't like telegraphing..  We don't telegraph the mobs were OUR AOE's are going, so why should they?  If I cast a root spell, it takes 1 second and POOF..  Mobs should go by the same rules we go by.. If they surprise us with a ground stomp, oh well.. shit happens.. Instead I notice games like GW2 and WoW tell the players in advance.. "get back , get back.. get back, I"m going to do something nasty"..... Really?  Thanks for the heads up mob so I can dodge and roll.. LOL

EQ never had that.. There was NO advance noticed that a beholder was going to make YOU his pet.. lmao.. or you were about to be rooted to the ground.. LOL

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Zeroxin
    Telegraphs have been in games since the dawn of time. I'm guessing what you don't like is the giant circles on the ground.

This.

In my opinion, all telegraphing should be done through animations that make sense. I do understand though that it may be too expensive to make proper animations for all telegraphing.

Telegraphing is an important aspect of real life. Like a person looking as if it he is reaching for his gun, before he actually shoots with it. 

Originally posted by Rydeson

Personally I don't like telegraphing..  We don't telegraph the mobs were OUR AOE's are going, so why should they?  If I cast a root spell, it takes 1 second and POOF..  Mobs should go by the same rules we go by.. If they surprise us with a ground stomp, oh well.. shit happens.. Instead I notice games like GW2 and WoW tell the players in advance.. "get back , get back.. get back, I"m going to do something nasty"..... Really?  Thanks for the heads up mob so I can dodge and roll.. LOL

EQ never had that.. There was NO advance noticed that a beholder was going to make YOU his pet.. lmao.. or you were about to be rooted to the ground.. LOL

Telegraphs do not need to have a long duration. it is perfectly possible to have a telegraph that is only 0.5 seconds long. 

Furthermore, the mob is able to see that you are spending 1 second to cast something, so he knows something is up by your telegraph.  To continue, if the caster is using words or specific gestures to cast the spell, the opponent can see/hear that to realize which spell is being casted.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

Yes there was. It just wasn't a visual circle on the ground.... You had to know exactly what to do to avoid the crap.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

This.

In my opinion, all telegraphing should be done through animations that make sense. I do understand though that it may be too expensive to make proper animations for all telegraphing.

Telegraphing is an important aspect of real life. Like a person looking as if it he is reaching for his gun, before he actually shoots with it.  Problem isn't that he's reaching for the gun.. The problem is that he telegraphs WHO he is about to shoot wit that gun..... That is the issue..

This.

Telegraphing is an important aspect of real life. Like a person looking as if it he is reaching for his gun, before he actually shoots with it.  Problem isn't that he's reaching for the gun.. The problem is that he telegraphs WHO he is about to shoot wit that gun..... That is the issue..

I don't find it to be an issue. He needs to point his gun at the target and in that sense he will telegraph his intention during a fraction of a second.

Edit: I would find it far more of an issue if he pointed his gun at one direction and then the bullet flew in a completely different direction.

Telegraphs do not need to have a long duration. it is perfectly possible to have a telegraph that is only 0.5 seconds long. 

Furthermore, the mob is able to see that you are spending 1 second to cast something, so he knows something is up by your telegraph.  To continue, if the caster is using words or specific gestures to cast the spell, the opponent can see/hear that to realize which spell is being casted.

We are not talking about telegraphing and ACTION is about to occur, the issue is WHERE it's going to occur..

This.

I don't find it to be an issue. He needs to point his gun at the target and in that sense he will telegraph his intention during a fraction of a second.

Really?  Next time you and your party do some adventuring and mobs are given an ADVANCE noticed WHERE your AOE's are going to land and the mobs MOVE away from the locations and your AOE are wasted on nothing.. Don't complain.. It appears you like to combat on a separate rule book from the AI

We are not talking about telegraphing and ACTION is about to occur, the issue is WHERE it's going to occur..

I see.

I would then say it depends on the skill used. If it is magic that chooses the target location through inner mental thoughts, then yeah, it shouldn't indicate where the skill is being used. 

If however, the skill is a spear throw, then it has to give an indication about where the spear will be landing by just looking at how the enemy is throwing the spear. 

This.

Really?  Next time you and your party do some adventuring and mobs are given an ADVANCE noticed WHERE your AOE's are going to land and the mobs MOVE away from the locations and your AOE are wasted on nothing.. Don't complain.. It appears you like to combat on a separate rule book from the AI

I would prefer AI to be enhanced yes.  I explained in another post in this thread how I make a difference between skills like a spear throw and something that magically chooses target through inner thoughts. 

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by gjaxon
    I completely disagree with your assessment of the combat model adopted by some of the newer games.  After playing games like TERA and Neverwinter I find that combat is more engaging and requires an even deeper level of concentration than older games.  The trick for making it work is having a UI that allows players to play the game without worrying about what buttons to push.  People want to play the video game not the UI.  So I look forward to games like EQ Next and Wildstar that have developed combat systems engage the players and reward them for watching the monitor and not their keyboard.

I found the TERA combat to be tedious because of the deeper concentration required.  Soloing a BAM wasnt hard for me, just annoying.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    I agree

I am not much of a fan of the red circles, removes a large chunk of the skill compenent from battle.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Once I saw that red square on the ground in the video, the first thing I thought of was the tizzy some here would have over it.

I like the telegraphing because it adds more depth to the combat experience. If you know where spells are going to hit, you can try to dodge it - with no warning of where it will hit, one can, at best, just run in circles and hope it misses. Telegraphing also helps when fighting mobs that are too big or situations that are too chaotic to see an animated cue even if you wanted to.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Overall  I really like the little bit we have see of EQNEXT. However one thing that stood out i didn't like was the red circles all over the ground telegraphing to players that an attack is on the way. I personally believe this entire concept has dumbed down games. So this is a poll to see who's with me they should remove the combat telegraphing... As soon as I'm able I will also post on the official site about it.. But I would love to see a movement here to starts to get it to go.

I don't think railing on this forum will do you any good.  Since you watched yesterday's reveal, you should have also heard Dave talk about how open the creation process of the game is going to be.  So..go to the EQN Roundtable if you are interested in communicating with the team.  There is a forum there that will get more attention than this ever will.  You never know what could happen.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    And yet anyone here who raided in WoW would NEVER do a raid without DBM which telegraphed boss abilities.  When everyone here fail an encounter because   they could not identify a telegraph then the will go QQ on forums demanding a nerf.  As long as there is a compexity to telegraphs then it's find along with that taking the dmg will likely cause the char to die and not where one can just sit in there and let the healer just heal through it.  Wildstar does a different take on it that provides an element of complexity.  If it will be like in the vid then it will be incredibely redundent.