Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aeria Games - SWTOR?

MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Received an email from Aeria games because I am on their mailing list to come back to SWTOR.  Checked the Aeria games website and sure enough SWTOR is on it under "Featured games".

http://www.aeriagames.com

Did I miss something?

Comments

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143

Likely this is the explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeria_Games_and_Entertainment

" Aeria Games does not develop any games directly. It licenses games from developers in other regions."

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Nothing really unusual.  The link just goes to EA's SWTOR new account page.  There is a reference tag on the link as well, so Aeria will likely get a small commission for everyone that signs up through them.

If someone was going to sign up though, they would probably just do it from SWTOR's main website though .. but maybe it can grab a few extras.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

theyre getting desperate now

looks like the numbers isnt as good, as their report would have you believe

now theyre in the really cheap end of the market, and star wars deserves better, than this

i cant  wait to read andryahs spin on this one

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by simplius

i cant  wait to read andryahs spin on this one

If you find it let me know, I could use a good laugh

i doubt, that we will ever see one

theyll prolly delete a thread mentioning this , or nobody will dare to write anything

the movie "Brazil" comes to mind

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I got the email also.  That's how I ended up reading this thread.  I suspect EA is out sourcing the operations aspects of the game (labor).  The executives never provide labor, they just sit there and let the money roll in.   Aeria is not know for their quality of customer service. But I assume they know how to run a cash shop service.

Last time I was in game I was on Taris, it had about 40+ people.  I remember questing in Desolace, and being the only player on the map.  The server was reporting as Heavy population.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Having a 3rd party promote the game makes for a nice conversation piece though.

I mean, if someone linked the signup page alone then then the thread would get closed.  But if someone links a 3rd party site with a direct link to the SWTOR signup page and asks, "whats this?" then it's discussable.

Not saying the OP did this, but they may have unwittingly fallen into the expectations of EA executives who thrive on manipulation of their customer base, in order to stay in business.   Send a strange link and watch people starting to link it all over ..

EA are great marketers, not game makers after all :-)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Konfess

I got the email also.  That's how I ended up reading this thread.  I suspect EA is out sourcing the operations aspects of the game (labor).  The executives never provide labor, they just sit there and let the money roll in.   Aeria is not know for their quality of customer service. But I assume they know how to run a cash shop service.

Last time I was in game I was on Taris, it had about 40+ people.  I remember questing in Desolace, and being the only player on the map.  The server was reporting as Heavy population.

desolace is an awful map,,its huge, and the quests had lots of backtracking

so most people go to the other zones with he same level

i think a lot of people would like to skip taris too, but they dont have many options

most devs prolly pad their numbers, the hype is bringing more players , and more investors

if a factory blows up , and leaves a huge, radioactive crater, the suits will call it " a minor accident"

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

This party advertising/spam = getting desperate.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Maybe EA have agree some sort of payment by results model with Aeria. Would Aeria agree to only getting money after a referred player has spent X in the cash shop? 

Bottomline:  advertising for new players costs money and it gets progressively harder - i.e. more and more expensive - as time goes on. By now all the SWTOR fans who wanted to try SWTOR will have tried the game (and are still playing or have moved on). All the F2P folk who try every new F2P game that launches for a few weeks - before moving on to the next title - have also tried the game. The publicity that resulted from SWTOR going F2P is no more. The next SW anything is a long way away in gaming terms. This forum is getting quieter and quieter .....

So whatever the exact agreement that EA have reached with Aeria I feel sure that it is an attempt to recruit new players cheaply. 

yea, and the key Word is "cheap"

obviously , EA wont Invest more Money in this game, swtor will survive , as it is now, or not

but the last reports they gave , told a different story, they were positive

just like with politicians, there is a difference between the Things, they SAY, and the Things , they DO

warhammer online shows us the next step

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Could it be SWTOR is going to be run by Aeria or some other company, like NCSofts Aion is run by Gameforge?

that would make sense,,it would allow EA to move one step further away from the front line, while still retaining control over the name

but lets see, what happens..maybe its just a moneygrab

considering, what other REAL F2P mmos offer, they have to do better, than this

yes, i know , it has lightsabres..but a modern mmo needs more, than that

and the story didnt help much either

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I personally think TORTanic is finally going completely under and this is just a last gasp for money before it all goes bye-bye....

in a normal case , yes,,but this is star wars. and EA is in charge

if they can tie the IP Down for a part of their large earnings, they prolly will

warhammer revisited

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by simplius

yea, and the key Word is "cheap"

obviously , EA wont Invest more Money in this game, swtor will survive , as it is now, or not

but the last reports they gave , told a different story, they were positive

just like with politicians, there is a difference between the Things, they SAY, and the Things , they DO

warhammer online shows us the next step

As you say cheap is the key word. And as you say there can be a difference between what they say and what they do (and don't do even!).

I'm not sure they were overly positive about SWTOR in their last results though - other than saying "Star Wars continues to do well" - choice of the word continues being somewhat odd! The only (sort of)  quantifiable thing they said though was that subs had fallen 25% since the game went F2P and that SWTOR was the main reason for the $20M drop in subs, advertising and on-line revenue from 12 months ago.

All the rest of the SWTOR news was buried amongst all of EA's digital title statements: extra content and F2P was up 35%; subscriptions, advertising and digital revenue was down 25%; taken together the two were up 10%. This stuff referred to all EA's digital revenue though: FIFA, Battlefield 3 etc. 

"star wars continues to do well",,have you seen any facts, that support that statement?

all the signs point to the slow decline continuing

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

should have invested all that money in making SWG pre cu the game it was intended to be.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    You guys seem to forget the old addage " Any press is good press " even bad press...
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus
    I personally think TORTanic is finally going completely under and this is just a last gasp for money before it all goes bye-bye....

That's so yesterday , today it's still sailing.

To the subject matter , who cares ? I'm looking forward to a psychotic Ewok tomorrow and the graphical update.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• utridentuutridentu Member UncommonPosts: 3

I can already see Aeria selling OP gears on their silly shops and leave huge security holes for hackers...

Most likely leading to same end 12sky and 12sky2 did (: