Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

very dissapointed with eq2 performance

This is my machine:

PIV 3.2

2 gb ddr2

nvidia geforce 7800 gt (with last drivers)

And I´m still playing in High performance. I cant believe this. I have posted this problem, and the only solutions is the shader complex = -1

I love the game, but it´s very difficult still playing your favourite game when you lost 400€ upgrading ram and graphic card, and still playing in high performance or custom balanced.

I think it is time to say bye. Hope somebody read this post and give me a real miracle.

thank you all

Comments

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

i dont know what to tell you other than faulty hardware, because i run on close to balanced on a rig a lot shittier than that.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Are you playing on servers the are located across the ocean? I can't imagine having the problems you've got, my system is total poop compared to yours, and it runs almost perfectly.

The only things I can think of are:

1 - Crappy ISP. Are you experiencing any packet loss?
    2 - Faulty Hardware
    3 - Hardware not properly configured
    4 - In the US playing on Euro server (or the other way around)

I hope you can work out your problems. EQ2 is a demanding game as far as computer resources go, but I'm not sure how much luck you'd have with any other newer game based on what you've said.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

Hard to believe you're having so many problems with that rig!  I play EQII with a 2ghz machine with 512mb ram and an nvidia 5200 graphics card and have very little problems.

I remember reading that there was a problem with some nvidia cards - not sure if the 7800 is one of them.  It's in the design though.  If you are getting graphic stuttering, that might be it.  I think it was a version of the 6800 that was giving the problem though, not the 7800.

You can probably find the information on the eq2players.com site.  There's also a very good article there that helps you configure the graphics.  I got a huge performance boost, especially in Qeynos, by following the tips in that article. 

One thing to understand about EQII is that some of the things necessary to play on the highest settings haven't even been invented yet!  Sony made the mistake of putting all the present and future options in their menus which make players think they can use them all if they spend enough money on their rigs and overclock everything to hell and back.  Not so.  What they should have done is truncate the options until the general state of technology caught up with what their engine can do.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

Try disableing shadows they need a lot performance, so you usually can increase most other settings if you disable them.
    i have a compareable system (athlon 64 3500, radeon x850, 2gb ram) and can run nearly all maxed out when i disable shadows. What i heared in game from others there are some troubles with some nvidia driver versions so you should maybe try other driver versions. i also would read or post in the technical help forums on the official EQ2 boards there might be more info for you.

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

Spend some hours in Qeynos to fine tune your settings. Start by disabling about anything you can.

Then start by increasing your character settings.

Max resolution texture. Set #high detail toons to 3-5. Total toons to 20-30.
    Increase render distance so you can view your own toon in full glory when zoomed out.

Set lighting to very high. Try turning on shadows. Adjust the render distance to get acceptable framerate.

When you've changed something run from SQ gate to QH docks to check how the setting affect your system.

With the rig you have you should be able to run pretty much maxed in a lot of setting. I would say the priority should be Character - Lightning - shadows - environment.

• sparkatbsparkatb Member UncommonPosts: 175

I used High Performance, but could use Balanced for ok-ish FPS-frames - with shadows and flora turned on. That was with a 95ms ping to the server.

I cant believe your using High Performance with a 7800 gpu.

I got:
    AMD 64 FX-53
    2gb ddr2
    6800ultra

I had read from some EQ2 player reviews on the forum that the 7800 card was a massive upgrade compared to a 5 series upto a 6 series card upgrade.

• kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

Where did you get your computer from?

The reason I ask is because I wanted to have a really nice computer so I got one of the guys I work with to build me one. After a while I wanted to reformat and put Windows on again. Well, I thought that I had put all the drivers on. I got the video card drivers, the sound card drivers, network card drivers, and monitor drivers. But for some reason my computer was running slower on everything.

When I went back to work the next day I asked the guy who build my computer what might be wrong and he said I missed a set of drivers. The chipset drivers. I didn't know about those. I have an NVidia motherboard so I had to get the chipset drivers for my motherboard from the Nvidia site.

Hope that helps.

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by spanishspell
    This is my machine:
    PIV 3.2
    2 gb ddr2

And I´m still playing in High performance. I cant believe this. I have posted this problem, and the only solutions is the shader complex = -1

I love the game, but it´s very difficult still playing your favourite game when you lost 400€ upgrading ram and graphic card, and still playing in high performance or custom balanced.

I think it is time to say bye. Hope somebody read this post and give me a real miracle.

thank you all

It seems your hardware is the issue ...not the game. If what you say is true, then your rig should be able to play Everquest 2 right up to maximum settings including anti-aliasing. I think you have some hardware issues.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    En1gma is exactly right, your system should stomp EQ2 on at LEAST high quality with little lag. Try turning off all your startup programs and run dxdiagnostics and seriously, seek professional help. Your specs are great, and it's not the game.

• fawdfawd Member Posts: 367

Yea, something is wrong with your computer dude.  I run this:

AMD64 3800+
    2gig OCZ plat ram
    Nvidia 6800 ultras SLI

I play the game with the grafix on extreme on everything (I have shadows turned off) with no lag... anywhere.  Not even in QH.

That, and I run Dual Monitors.

• mehoronmehoron Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by spanishspell

This is my machine:
    PIV 3.2
    2 gb ddr2

thank you all

Actually 7800s can't play games at all. It's an ongoing problem with the card aparently, there core is based off of a workstation chip that wasn't well reworked. Not to say ATI is much better I hafta regress back to 9.2 drivers just to not get the game to crash every two seconds. BUT I can run it on Maximum settings just fine, only place it lags is in Qeynos.

Rig.

Athlon64 3000+

2gigs Patriot Memory

ATI Radeon 9800PRO 128MB

80GIG Hitachi IDE HD

WIN XP Home.

• KraptorKraptor Member Posts: 359

Maybe he is running at very high res.

• Xgames13Xgames13 Member Posts: 7

I dont kno

• spanishspellspanishspell Member Posts: 30

thank you for your advices and comments.

I´ve posted the same on the official forums and my dxdiag, manager devices... and the answer was turn the complex shader to -1, so i think i must understand that they haven´t found any issue about the hardware.

I´m going to reinstall the game and drivers.

thanks again image

• NeopsychNeopsych Member UncommonPosts: 324

I used a system like yours for most of the last year before I upgraded to a new Alienware. If you disabe the fancy water graphics, blooms and some of the lighting detail, you should run on high quality and maybe need to turn down a little for raids or other high ppl population areas.

The very least you should expect is to play on Balanced without any lag at all - if this is not the case, i would look to what else your machine is doing in the background.

EQ2 does have, and always has had, a memeory leak issue but if you ever played SWG - its not even close to that starport lag experience

To err is human....to play is divine