Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people pissed at combat already?

KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116

To my knowledge they have not gone much into the combat. 

No UI was present to see how many hotbars you get yet i see people saying there will only be 4 hotbars....if that is true that is really sad. 

But if its not true you all need to take a step back and breathe and wait for more info to be released. 

It's not the end of the world ffs, that already happened.

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

Comments

• kingchootykingchooty Member Posts: 6
    Probably because what little combat was shown looked like facerolling taken to a whole new level.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Kamofila

No UI was present to see how many hotbars you get yet i see people saying there will only be 4 hotbars....if that is true that is really sad. 

But if its not true you all need to take a step back and breathe and wait for more info to be released. 

Something mentioned abilities tied to weapons(like GW2 I imagine), but I forget where precisely I saw that.  So, I'm basically assuming the combat will be like GW2, for the most part.

Which is fine with me, I enjoyed the combat style of GW2, but it was pretty shallow in depth.  If they were to add some complexity and depth to GW2 style combat, then it could be pretty good action-combat.  People wanting auto-attack-stand-still-and-spam are going to hate this game though, it would appear.

We only have that one or two clips of combat though.  But, it is very much looking closer to action-combat than traditional EQ style.  Lots of people(not me) were hoping for more traditional combat(EQ style gameplay) from what I can tell.

Originally posted by kingchooty
    Probably because what little combat was shown looked like facerolling taken to a whole new level.

Yeah, this was my complaint.  I love action-combat, but it just looked really shallow and cheesy in that video.  Action-combat without some depth would be pretty boring after the first few minutes.

Personal note:  I don't consider dodging giant red circles depth ;)

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Not 4 hotbars, one hotbar, with 8 abilities. Various news outlets are now running their write-ups, with more detailed information. 

Also mostly irrelevant, as what we saw was a few scripted scenes, with players invulnerable, designed specifically to show off the destructible environment. This wasn't the extend of combat in EQN.

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110

^^This.

Good lord that looked terrible. 

Note:  They're designing this for PS4.  Don't even start thinking about 4 hotbars.  You'll be lucky to see 4-8 abilities that you can use at any one time.  I'm actually fine with that, if they can be used strategically.  Remember in EQ1 you never had more than 8 spells on your hotbar... and warriors had far fewer abilities than that.. and it was still the best MMO combat ever.

The problem is that it PLAYED like a console hack and slash game.  Not an EQ MMO.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Lokero

Something mentioned abilities tied to weapons(like GW2 I imagine), but I forget where precisely I saw that.  So, I'm basically assuming the combat will be like GW2, for the most part.

Which is fine with me, I enjoyed the combat style of GW2, but it was pretty shallow in depth.  If they were to add some complexity and depth to GW2 style combat, then it could be pretty good action-combat.  People wanting auto-attack-stand-still-and-spam are going to hate this game though, it would appear.

We only have that one or two clips of combat though.  But, it is very much looking closer to action-combat than traditional EQ style.  Lots of people(not me) were hoping for more traditional combat(EQ style gameplay) from what I can tell.

The combat SOE showed was action and third person oriented. Since I prefer those styles, funny enough I am more interested in the game now.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Because there is a group of mmo players that don't like the push to action combat in mmos. They prefer the standard WoW style, pretty simple to understand really. I knew combat would be a big polarizing issue since you can only choose one and both camps have big number of players.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

The mmorpg article here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/feature/7640/EverQuest-Next-The-Future-of-the-MMORPG-Lies-in-Norrath.html

It mentions "You’ll have a limited amount of icons on your hotbar as is the current trend. The team doesn’t want you playing your UI, they want you playing the game.  You’ll also be fighting with a mix of skills from your weapons and your chosen class (we’ll get to how you can mix and match classes a bit later).  The weapons also work differently for each class."

In can work, but there needs to be depth.

Guild Wars 2 is a PRIME example of how NOT to do it, the combat is novel at first, but becomes VERY shallow very fast, and it gets super boring.

IMO they need to have layers to combat, defense, offense, combo's, environmental interaction.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    I hope is isn't as bland and repetitive and Neverwinter.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I can handle the action combat that GW2 has.. Eventho personally I would love to see more, especially if EQN is giving us 40 classes..  Will we have FD? or Snare? or Root? or MEZ? etc etc in those 40 classes.. But my biggest concern with the combat was all the eye candy graphics.. Sure it has fireworks, but what happens to lag when you have graphics cards trying to draw all 20 spells going off at the same time in a raid type encounter?  My card will blow up.. LOL   I was never a fan of eye candy spells and skills.. I hope EQN doesn't go overboard on this..
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Short and sweet, nicely said.  Combat is one of my biggest concerns from what I've seen today.  Lots of button smashing, the amount of particle effects limits what you could see what you were doing.  So all that warrior was doing was spinning around and swinging the hammer left & right.  When things got crazy, I coudn't even see the wizard or tell what she was casting.

Mindless button smashing is something I won't play, so they better get combat right.  Or this beautiful world and mechanics they described won't mean anything after all.  Combat does make or break the game, more so than anything else.  People are very picky when it comes to combat.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Originally posted by Stiler

The mmorpg article here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/feature/7640/EverQuest-Next-The-Future-of-the-MMORPG-Lies-in-Norrath.html

It mentions "You’ll have a limited amount of icons on your hotbar as is the current trend. The team doesn’t want you playing your UI, they want you playing the game.  You’ll also be fighting with a mix of skills from your weapons and your chosen class (we’ll get to how you can mix and match classes a bit later).  The weapons also work differently for each class."

In can work, but there needs to be depth.

Guild Wars 2 is a PRIME example of how NOT to do it, the combat is novel at first, but becomes VERY shallow very fast, and it gets super boring.

IMO they need to have layers to combat, defense, offense, combo's, environmental interaction.

Yeah, this is the problem I was pointing at.  GW2 combat was pretty fun... for a while.  But it really was extremely shallow when you go into the meat of the game.

This is the real problem with action-combat games.  They tend to be fairly simplistic and underwhelming because the combat is routine.  You would think "action" would be constantly changing and random, but most of the time you just do the same thing over and over and it's just as boring as massive hotbar spam.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Mardy

Short and sweet, nicely said.  Combat is one of my biggest concerns from what I've seen today.  Lots of button smashing, the amount of particle effects limits what you could see what you were doing.  So all that warrior was doing was spinning around and swinging the hammer left & right.  When things got crazy, I coudn't even see the wizard or tell what she was casting.

Mindless button smashing is something I won't play, so they better get combat right.  Or this beautiful world and mechanics they described won't mean anything after all.  Combat does make or break the game, more so than anything else.  People are very picky when it comes to combat.

This is because it wasn't a demonstration of the combat system at all it was set up to demonstrate the talking points without showing off more than was discussed.

Don't get me wrong combat could turn out horrible and the telegraphing is something I coudl do without preferirng animation and audio ques but not a deal breaker.But judging the full combat system fromt his small and very restricted demo is ludicrous.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

They stated enthusiastically that it would be Limited Hotbar.  That you would be "playing the game" instead of playing with the UI.

That is enough for some people (including me) to hate on the combat system, because I have played "limited hotbar" RPG's and I do not like them. 

Welcome to MMORPG forums, where when REAL information is released people are going to have opinions on it.  Luckily I believe MMORPG.com has locked the hype meter for EQ Next for some time now so that any dissent in its glorious direction will not be represented, so just tell everyone they are a vocal minority and 99% of the world agrees with you then point to that and other "previews" as proof of that fact.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    because people have seen shit and need something to complain about, its human nature.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• DeathByCactusDeathByCactus Member Posts: 36

Neverwinter RED ZONES, noob tools. Remove them.

Tracer weapons... seriously? Tracers on the end of sword swings? Remove it.

Non-stop spinning warrior? Done to death, looks stupid. Diablo did it, WoW did it, Tera did it, many others did it... Remove it.

There will be more. Can't wait to see a rogue do a super move to knock out a bridge out of fairness.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158

Limited hotbar

Action & Mobility Centric

Skill Based

Freeform Class system

Meaningful Consequences

OMG this game, coupled with it's true sandbox world and ever changing permanence and open feel with Emergent Gameplay is everything I have ever wanted out of an MMO.  A true virtual world with consequence and utter freedom.  Thank you SOE, the game can't get here quick enough.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

People are funny.  They see a first demo and take it as gospel.  Nobody noticed that those groups of mobs just stood there?  It was a DEMO, people.  Of course they were facerolling the mobs.  It's to show off the gee-whiz factor of combat, not get in-depth.  We'll find out about that stuff later.

What was shown was giving you a glimpse on the big picture of combat.  It had nothing to do with pacing, strategy, etc. 

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    why? for the same reasons they hyped the hell outta this title to begin with. they enjoy drama, rollercoaster emotional rides, and blindly arguing about things they know little about.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Butr0sButr0sButr0sButr0s Member Posts: 21

To add to what others have said, the other major problem with a limited hotbar (currently 8) is that it takes out all most all of the skills which give flavors to individual classes.

Shamans were known for having a lot of long duration buffs they could hand out to passer byes, wizards had teleports to various locations of the world, necromancers could summon corpses, and so on.  With a short/limited hotbar, you loose almost all of those fun little gems, as you maximize for your combat role.

• ZubatiZubati Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I hate the combat that I've seen so far. Its easy mode show me red circles or arcs so I don't get hit aoe attacks. Why dumb it down? There is already warcraft, rift, gw2, neverwinter easy mode crap.
  • kevinjrkevinjr Member UncommonPosts: 20

If it quacks like a duck ....  Clearly it has action based combat in the vein of GW2.  Over the top actions.  Motion based.  Lots of jumping around.  It probably fits more with the destructable terrain.  But I prefer strategic combat over action based combat.  I find it holds up better over time.  

It might be the best combat in the world but if you don't like action based combat you probably won't like it.  

I also found it strange that game play wasn't want of their 'grails'.  I hope they don't get so caught up in the big ideas that they forget to make a decent game.

That all said I am saving my judgment.   

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Butr0sButr0s
    To add to what others have said, the other major problem with a limited hotbar (currently 8) is that it takes out all most all of the skills which give flavors to individual classes. Shamans were known for having a lot of long duration buffs they could hand out to passer byes, wizards had teleports to various locations of the world, necromancers could summon corpses, and so on.  With a short/limited hotbar, you loose almost all of those fun little gems, as you maximize for your combat role.

you could only have 8 spells memorized at one time in EQ1, 9 if you had the AA.

how is this any different than that? why cant you forget and then memorize another spell in your spell book during combat?

that's exactly what you did as a shaman in EQ lol

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

There are 8 hot-buttons that can be loaded with skills and abilities from all the classes your character has learned, modified  by the weapons you have equipped.

This is quite similar to TSW's ability bar system... and offers a heckuva lot more customizability than the original EQ 8 "spell gem" system did.

I honestly don't see the negatives here.  Even in EQ2, with it's ocean of skill bars, combat usually involves less than 10 keys.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Zubati
    I hate the combat that I've seen so far. Its easy mode show me red circles or arcs so I don't get hit aoe attacks. Why dumb it down? There is already warcraft, rift, gw2, neverwinter easy mode crap.

I wonder if there is first person mode ?

It might look a lot better than what we saw in first person .

The warrior abilities look like crap compared to the wizard .  Tanks are going to be super rare and everyone else will be wizard .