Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play EQNext if it's cartoony?

12346»

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     What the hell is up with all the shoulderpad-envy? It's a look and it's been around before WoW.  image
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I tend to look for the quality of animation mostly.

WoW has nailed that beautifully... A lot of development studios don't think that quality/smoothness of character and combat animation is very important (and that may be their worst mistake).

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by tank017

If it looked like WoW or WildStar it would be a major hit for me.I'd try it,but not sure I would last long.

EQ was and never should be cartoony.

Totally agree.  If it looks like WoW/Wildstar, count me out.  I couldn't stand the art style when WoW was released and to see an EQ game look like that would just kill it for me.  If I wanted that art style, I'd just play Dragon's Lair.  Yes, I was old enough to play that when it came out BTW.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't mind cartoony if the gameplay is good.

If the gameplay is bad, I don't care what it looks like.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

If by cartoony you mean something like this, than I have absolutely no problem

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Latronus

If it looked like WoW or WildStar it would be a major hit for me.I'd try it,but not sure I would last long.

Totally agree.  If it looks like WoW/Wildstar, count me out.  I couldn't stand the art style when WoW was released and to see an EQ game look like that would just kill it for me.  If I wanted that art style, I'd just play Dragon's Lair.  Yes, I was old enough to play that when it came out BTW.

I don't understand these people, do you not actually remember what EQ1 looked like? It was very cartoony.

EQ2 tried for realism, but failed with play-doh faces, and then introduced alternate models that appeared anime-like (developed for the Asian market). Which most players preferred.

The armour that Kerra is wearing? Yeah its in EQ2 already. So much realism!

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Latronus

I don't understand these people, do you not actually remember what EQ1 looked like? It was very cartoony.

EQ2 tried for realism, but failed with play-doh faces, and then introduced alternate models that appeared anime-like (developed for the Asian market). Which most players preferred.

The armour that Kerra is wearing? Yeah its in EQ2 already. So much realism!

it didnt look real due to the graphic restraints genius.

EQ2 fails at everything in my book,so your points regarding that MMO are lost on me.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Too vague. There are ‘cartoony’ styles I love, and there—

Originally posted by Waterlily

If EQNext is cartoony, as in:

WoW type shoulderpads, bright colors, lightsaber weapons, well, you know what WoW looks like

Oh. Then, no, most likely not. It would take gameplay far better than I expect to make up for that.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • theNextEQtheNextEQ Member Posts: 15

This look pretty good to me. it came from fire fall 

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I would just because its EQ but the only thing that may stop me playing is open world pvp that you are forced to do.
  • GreezGreez Member Posts: 103
    I never had an issue with WoW's artstyle, tbh, so I don't really mind, but there are plenty of artstyles in that general area that I really hate (ergo, Wildstar). So it really depends.
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I love cartoony graphics. I've always preferred it over the blandness of "realistic" looking games.
  • cepollycepolly Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Since people are depicting concept art, though we haven't seen a single in-game character yet, let's just put this to the test.

If EQNext is cartoony, as in:

WoW type shoulderpads, bright colors, lightsaber weapons, well, you know what WoW looks like

would you still play it?

Well it's confirmed. It's cartoony. Looks like the abomination that is swtor.

• trouser03trouser03 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I'm a fan of realistic graphics, but I think I really like what i'm seeing here. The world to me looked highly detailed and realistic while the player characters were stylized, yet also highly detailed. They reminded me of the few screen shots shown from Curt Shilling's failed MMO. The SOEmote demo looked great too. Not a fan of the huge armor though. World looked awesome.
  • cepollycepolly Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by trouser03
    I'm a fan of realistic graphics, but I think I really like what i'm seeing here. The world to me looked highly detailed and realistic while the player characters were stylized, yet also highly detailed. They reminded me of the few screen shots shown from Curt Shilling's failed MMO. The SOEmote demo looked great too. Not a fan of the huge armor though. World looked awesome.

I agree on the world. But that armor looked atrocious. very WoW.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    I don't get why they went with cartoony when 40% said they wouldn't play it if it was cartoony. Get a new art director.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by cepolly
    Originally posted by trouser03

I agree on the world. But that armor looked atrocious. very WoW.

World definitely looks amazing and very Planetside 2 like

But the character model is god awful, WoW characters might actually looks more detail than what we saw in the presentation.

However once again it is alpha footage, i sure hope they will improve the  character models significantly .

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Kiyoris
    I don't get why they went with cartoony when 40% said they wouldn't play it if it was cartoony. Get a new art director.

Maybe they don't place much weight on a forum pole with 307 votes when they develop the game? Maybe?

• LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73

That character they got to demo the SOEmote looked like meg from the disney hercules cartoon.  

As much as I was a hater of cartoony characters (like wow) I kind of like this disney cartoon look they game them.

I am, after all, a disney fan, so this works for me. 

Im going to make Bell and Ariel when the game launches , lol. 

• LithiumTeaLithiumTea Member Posts: 16

Bad.

This is all I have to say about EQN for now. I hope when I have a chance to play it looks different???

Not sure what I just said ?  I'm sure it will look pretty much the same?

Today pushed me a step closer to Wildstar.

I am neutral and unbiased as anyone could ever be.

I'm just sick and tired of not having a game to hang my hat on...

GW2 was a bust, Never winter just pissed me off once I reached 60 in a few days and  so on and so on... (if you need reasons, send me a pm, I'll be glad to share.)

So now I set my sites on Wildstar and FFXIV... maybe ESO???

I read a post yesterday about Blizzard Titan may be holding out to see what others come out with and steal the best from each...

Hell if they do that... they just might end up with a second Monster MMO?!   Why not?