Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yep, its a Smedbox.

2»

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Dudehog
    Originally posted by Buttdart Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Drakynn I agree about the cash shop but we can only hope it's fair.   However as for sandbox...well they showed you can build things and destroy things and alter the world....that's pretty much the basic meaning of being a sandbox.Just my opinion of course.
    Its definitely a sandbox element no argument there. I would like to hear more about non-combat classes and the act of crafting.  
    One of the few ways they could redeem themselves is if they actually put in a great crafting system the likes of SWG had. But if they put in another braindead 3-step combine system that yields items with fixed values, then there will be no market like SWG, no chance to compete with solo-quested gear or easily-acquired PUG gear, and crafting and the market will be worthless like every other worthless dustbin dead MMO with tacked-on crafting and trading/economy. I'm not optimistic. I doubt "why do other MMO's crafting/economy suck?" is a question high on their development cycle; certainly nowhere near the priority of marketing and cloning.
    You're not optimistic the crafting will be in depth enough for you? Are you serious? They just told you they're releasing a mini mmo that will allow players to build parts of the world for EQN.  I'm pretty sure the same level of depth and consequence will be applied to weapons and armor as well. They also made a big deal about being able to sell your own items for real money.

Weak crafting should be the least of our worries.

Well to be honest, there are a lot of mmos that let you build literally everything. BUT, the act itself is quite mundane and requires little to no strategy or planning. You can make a game like minecraft and it is fun to make your own worlds. But crafting in and of itself can be an artform and its own rewarding game system.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    How is it now a sandbox? You can build on the world and change it from what I read.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ButtdartButtdart Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    How is it now a sandbox? You can build on the world and change it from what I read.

I'm bowing out of this thread. I'm already bored by the marketing they did on twitch today. But I do love your sig image. Thanks for the laugh.

Cyas when this game comes out.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

My sandbox when I was a kid centered a whole lot less around using my credit card in a cash shop.

Oh well different times I suppose. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by DocBrody

What I've seen is a theme park with a destructible bridge, telegraphing mobs, Disney characters and no UI.

Its a good thing you dont create games, bevause you seem to lack the abbility to look furter and beyound to understand their vision

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Drakynn

What I've seen is a theme park with a destructible bridge, telegraphing mobs, Disney characters and no UI.

and yet.from your previous posts, if that's all there was but they added OW full loot PvP ,it would magically become sandbox to you.

this game has zero realism, it all fits into the big picture:

-Disney channel graphics

-Telegraphing mobs

-Immersion breaking invincible mode characters

no thanks, at this point I don't care what they add to this theme park adventure. Already went to my skip list.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Tierless

Originally posted by Murugan
    My sandbox when I was a kid centered a whole lot less around using my credit card in a cash shop.

You mean your parents didn't provide the sandbox then charge for shovels, buckets, etc?

No his parents purchsed those tools and gave them to him...They were the Whales in his F2Play sandbox game.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Tierless

Originally posted by Murugan

You mean your parents didn't provide the sandbox then charge for shovels, buckets, etc?

No his parents purchsed those tools and gave them to him...They were the Whales in his F2Play sandbox game.

If they were the "whales" wouldn't they have kept them for themselves and lorded it over me?

Besides that isn't fair.  Plastic shovels and buckets are real objects, created out of real materials, representing actual man-hours of craftsmanship not virtual copies.   I bet in an attic somewhere they actually exist, in reality.

A more accurate comparison would be if my parents had charged me for use of my imaginary friend Zonkers, as well as any other imaginary creation I affixed to my experience in the sandbox.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

and yet.from your previous posts, if that's all there was but they added OW full loot PvP ,it would magically become sandbox to you.

-Disney channel graphics

-Telegraphing mobs

no thanks, at this point I don't care what they add to this theme park adventure. Already went to my skip list.

I didn't mind the graphics and will accept them to get a larger world,destructibility and emergent AI.

I don't know why you care about telegraphing mobs since you only seem to care about OW FFA PvP,but yeah it was one of the things I wasn't thrilled with but not a deal breaker.

You do realize it was a demonstration set up to show certain aspects of the game.They couldn't show those things in a playable way if the characters died.It was clearly not a fully functional game yet from what I saw with those mobs standing still not reacting or doing anything at the end there.

Can you tell me some other MMORPG that gave you all the details of it's game systems and content in it's first reveal and left nothing for future reveals and there is probably much left to be finalized because it seems quiet a way from release.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It was never supposed to be a sandbox... it was supposed to be something new.. i predicted a dynamic world, and thats what they are building,  a PvE place with more freedom  then we have ever known.  

Not a smedbox, but a sandpark.

You mean when they said "biggest sandbox ever" it wasn't suppose to be a sandbox?  Words are suppose to have meaning.  We can debate whether or not the features listed so far make a sandbox game.  But to say it was never meant to be a sandbox, doesn't make any sense when they explicitly stated that it would be the biggest sandbox ever.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Wait ... how is this not a sandbox? You can build and destroy everything.

By definition that is a sandbox.

You stay sassy!

FFA pvp games -----> that way.

Originally posted by Tamanous

For some its only a sandbox if you can build and destroy people.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

-Disney channel graphics

-Telegraphing mobs

I didn't mind the graphics and will accept them to get a larger world,destructibility and emergent AI.

I don't know why you care about telegraphing mobs since you only seem to care about OW FFA PvP,but yeah it was one of the things I wasn't thrilled with but not a deal breaker.

You do realize it was a demonstration set up to show certain aspects of the game.They couldn't show those things in a playable way if the characters died.It was clearly not a fully functional game yet from what I saw with those mobs standing still not reacting or doing anything at the end there.

Can you tell me some other MMORPG that gave you all the details of it's game systems and content in it's first reveal and left nothing for future reveals and there is probably much left to be finalized because it seems quiet a way from release.

lol... what else do I have to see? It looks like a cross breed of WoW Gw2 Tera Rift, it has that awful mob telegraphing and the only sandbox feature, building, takes place in a seperate app called Landmark? Sorry, no need for details at this point.

Yep we've been smedlaid.. again. 

He actually made a themepark and called it sandbox, pretty amazing stunt.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by Tamanous

For some its only a sandbox if you can build and destroy people.

nice one niceguy3978.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I'm just going to wait and see what it delivers. There is a lot that looks good. I have to say, all in all, I liked what I saw today. But SoE's track record is also something to be considered. I've seen a number of reveals and one thing is for certain. The picture of the game they portrayed today and will continue to portray in the coming months and the final experience we will play through after this game releases are going to be 2 different things.