Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yep, its a Smedbox.

FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I like Smedley's definition of a sandbox even if it is different from my own. But I can also see how they will exploit the hell out of their cash shop with this game. Can you imagine all the tools and supplies they will sell us when building/rebuilding cities?

I'm impressed with the features this game has. But the thought of this having a cash shop kinda bums me out.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm not sure this is really a sandbox either. Maybe a Smedbox, as you claim.  Anyway, there are enough cool features in this game to satisfy me I expect. Keeping fingers crossed and hope they actually work in game. 
  • mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I like Smedley's definition of a sandbox even if it is different from my own. But I can also see how they will exploit the hell out of their cash shop with this game. Can you imagine all the tools and supplies they will sell us when building/rebuilding cities?

I'm impressed with the features this game has. But the thought of this having a cash shop kinda bums me out.

How about players being able to earn money from the game.  How will that effect personal income taxes, or will it be in the form of SC and not real $.  They have a lot of great ideas, but most of them are so the devs don't have to work as hard and the players work harder.  The players are really making the investors money this round, above and beyond the normal sub/ftp stuff.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I agree about the cash shop but we can only hope it's fair.

However as for sandbox...well they showed you can build things and destroy things and alter the world....that's pretty much the basic meaning of being a sandbox.Just my opinion of course.

• malkovichmalkovich Member UncommonPosts: 18

didnt really get any sense of how big the world will be, or anything about travel.

i did come away with the feeling that this is going to have a LOT of traditional MMO fare in it, which i guess is unavoidable.

still so much to learn its hard to draw many conclusions. disappointed in the art direction, very excited about a lot of other things.

• ButtdartButtdart Member Posts: 34

Anyone who watched twitch today or has been paying attention at all, knows this is not a sandbox the way Smedley was hyping it.

He had the audacity to sing the praises of EVE and speak of this EQNext in the same light. My god man, SWG was more of a sandbox than this EQNext is looking to be.

For anyone who trusts Smedley and SOE, well, a fool and his money are soon parted. When I saw that guy with the pony tail say "there are a lot of weapons" and the picture came up during that twitch today, I said to myself in a mocking evil investor voice "and half of them are in the cash shop, MUHAHAHHAHAAA!".

Apologies for those who don't appreciate the cynicism, but if you have been playing these games long enough, you know it is a blatant piece of marketing idiocy when Smedley declares today on the twitch "this is what gaming will be for the next 15 years", then 5 minutes later that pony-tailed guy is acting like having an item that makes this mage woman float down cliffs is new. Who else said "OH COOL THEY RIPPED OFF THE WOW FEATHER!".

zzzzz

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Yeah I am on the fence on the Landmark facet of the game. On one hand it invites creativity and inclusion and on the other it could easily be seen as here have the tools, make our game and if it fails its on you not us....

Of course thats an extreme opinion. I am someone who never played minecraft so I am curious how much of that knowledge will be a precursor for successfully participating in EQN landmark. Overall I am quite intrigued but there is still so much we dont know about how specifically the world building and player studio functions.  Time will tell.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It was never supposed to be a sandbox... it was supposed to be something new.. i predicted a dynamic world, and thats what they are building,  a PvE place with more freedom  then we have ever known.  

Not a smedbox, but a sandpark.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It was never supposed to be a sandbox... it was supposed to be something new.. i predicted a dynamic world, and thats what they are building,  a PvE place with more freedom  then we have ever known.  

You mean it wasn't supposed to be a sandbox like the devs said probably a thousand times over the last year?

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

You're still not seeing the picture. They are not selling us tools, they give them away for free. They are taking a cut from the stuff we create and sell.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Agreed. All that really matters is if all the systems work together and make for a fun game.

But I do agree with Foom. The game is something new, something we haven't seen before. Sandpark/themebox/sandbox/themepark terms can cause too many arguments and everyone has their own idea of what each means. So going with Foom on this one, EQN shall be hence forth known as a 'Smedbox'!

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

Originally posted by Naqaj

You're still not seeing the picture. They are not selling us tools, they give them away for free. They are taking a cut from the stuff we create and sell.

Let's not praise Smedley too hard for jumping on the Steam business model bandwagon.

I can't remember the last time this company did something original, and today they showed EQNext is not breaking that streak.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Anyone who has played Planetside 2 knows how shady $oE is with the cash shop.

Pay for a 6 month sub up front = 300% exp boost and a massive resources boost

They also nerf and buff items to drive micro transactions:

step 1) Release OP weapon for $5 that everyone must buy to compete

step 2) Nerf that weapon into the ground a few weeks later wasting everyones money

step 3) Release a new OP weapon

step 4) Rinse repeat

Sales are slow? Offer a discounted exp boost or new OP weapon.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Drakynn
    I agree about the cash shop but we can only hope it's fair.However as for sandbox...well they showed you can build things and destroy things and alter the world....that's pretty much the basic meaning of being a sandbox.Just my opinion of course.
    Its definitely a sandbox element no argument there. I would like to hear more about non-combat classes and the act of crafting.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

What I've seen is a theme park with a destructible bridge, telegraphing mobs, Disney characters and no UI.

However as for sandbox...well they showed you can build things and destroy things and alter the world....that's pretty much the basic meaning of being a sandbox.Just my opinion of course.

Its definitely a sandbox element no argument there. I would like to hear more about non-combat classes and the act of crafting.

One of the few ways they could redeem themselves is if they actually put in a great crafting system the likes of SWG had.

But if they put in another braindead 3-step combine system that yields items with fixed values, then there will be no market like SWG, no chance to compete with solo-quested gear or easily-acquired PUG gear, and crafting and the market will be worthless like every other worthless dustbin dead MMO with tacked-on crafting and trading/economy.

I'm not optimistic. I doubt "why do other MMO's crafting/economy suck?" is a question high on their development cycle; certainly nowhere near the priority of marketing and cloning.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Buttdart

Anyone who watched twitch today or has been paying attention at all, knows this is not a sandbox the way Smedley was hyping it.

He had the audacity to sing the praises of EVE and speak of this EQNext in the same light. My god man, SWG was more of a sandbox than this EQNext is looking to be.

For anyone who trusts Smedley and SOE, well, a fool and his money are soon parted. When I saw that guy with the pony tail say "there are a lot of weapons" and the picture came up during that twitch today, I said to myself in a mocking evil investor voice "and half of them are in the cash shop, MUHAHAHHAHAAA!".

Apologies for those who don't appreciate the cynicism, but if you have been playing these games long enough, you know it is a blatant piece of marketing idiocy when Smedley declares today on the twitch "this is what gaming will be for the next 15 years", then 5 minutes later that pony-tailed guy is acting like having an item that makes this mage woman float down cliffs is new. Who else said "OH COOL THEY RIPPED OFF THE WOW FEATHER!".

zzzzz

Oh, you mean like was in EQ1, before wow was even a twinkle in some devs eye? lol, you gotta love the folks that never played mmos before wow.

Originally posted by DocBrody

What I've seen is a theme park with a destructible bridge, telegraphing mobs, Disney characters and no UI.

and yet.from your previous posts, if that's all there was but they added OW full loot PvP ,it would magically become sandbox to you.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by DocBrody
    That is a valid point. What we have actually seen working in real time with our own eyes is not much. Remember some of the things Anet said about DE's before everyone got to actually play the game...

Still, the idea of what they are aiming to do is pretty awesome.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

zzzzz

Oh, you mean like was in EQ1, before wow was even a twinkle in some devs eye? lol, you gotta love the folks that never played mmos before wow.

You got me there. My first was SWG. Regardless, you missed my point that the guy acted like it was something new when they showed it.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    you guys can tell its not a sandbox from maybe 10 minutes if that of video footage? you're good.
  • jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by mos0811

How about players being able to earn money from the game.  How will that effect personal income taxes, or will it be in the form of SC and not real $.  They have a lot of great ideas, but most of them are so the devs don't have to work as hard and the players work harder.  The players are really making the investors money this round, above and beyond the normal sub/ftp stuff.

This argument that the player store is so DEVS dont have to work as hard is ridiculous.  Lets be honest.  If you want to make a virtual world vast and have millions of different items like the real world you need more than the few that work for SOE.

Like the real world a continent wasn't settle and built by a few people sitting in a room.  Sony nor any otehr game maker could not afford it.  So what the best option.  Give the tools to the millions of the people that are playing teh game and sit back.  You think the DEV's can now just go home and watch TV all day because we are doing all the work.  Nope, they can concentrate on other stuff like rallying points and other world event.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

zzzzz

You got me there. My first was SWG. Regardless, you missed my point that the guy acted like it was something new when they showed it.

a Lot of us warned about Smedley's market speak...All he did was make cryptic remarks and implied relationships between things but never actually said it was so.Any connections were made in yours and others minds so you only have yourselves to blame.

• DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112

One of the few ways they could redeem themselves is if they actually put in a great crafting system the likes of SWG had.

But if they put in another braindead 3-step combine system that yields items with fixed values, then there will be no market like SWG, no chance to compete with solo-quested gear or easily-acquired PUG gear, and crafting and the market will be worthless like every other worthless dustbin dead MMO with tacked-on crafting and trading/economy.

I'm not optimistic. I doubt "why do other MMO's crafting/economy suck?" is a question high on their development cycle; certainly nowhere near the priority of marketing and cloning.

You're not optimistic the crafting will be in depth enough for you? Are you serious? They just told you they're releasing a mini mmo that will allow players to build parts of the world for EQN.  I'm pretty sure the same level of depth and consequence will be applied to weapons and armor as well. They also made a big deal about being able to sell your own items for real money.

Weak crafting should be the least of our worries.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Some of you people just have a strange view of the world.  Do you know how many people WANT to contribute to the game?  It's absolutely brilliant of them to do this.  Also, if you watched the stream, they have similar systems for the other two EQ games, and they've only "approved" a very small number of items being put in the game.  They are doing this to make the players feel like they are a part by not only playing it, but by developing for it if they want.  I've always loved modding games and building maps, and I can't wait to start playing with their tools.  To say they are doing this so the devs don't have to work hard is just plain ludicrous.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Some of you people just have a strange view of the world.  Do you know how many people WANT to contribute to the game.  It's absolutely brilliant of them to do this.  Also, if you watched the stream, they have similar systems for the other two EQ games, and they've only "approved" a very small number of items being put in the game.  They are doing this to make the players feel like they are a part by not only playing it, but by developing for it if they want.  I've always loved modding games and building maps, and I can't wait to start playing with their tools.  To say they are doing this so the devs don't have to work hard is just plain ludicrous.

I'm all for user-generated content and even profit off of it (after all, that is their time), and I think it's a great return to that spirit of the modding community that used to exist in FPS games when developers provided mod tools (before the likes of Kotick made FPS games COD clone crapfests).

But the nod of the hat (no pun) goes to Gabe Newell for ushering in this era that Smedley is trying to jump on.