Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Comments

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

Graphics is the least of the problems. The problem is that this sounds too much like GW2.5 and too little like the sandbox we were promised. This is nothing like Ultima Online or Star Wars Galaxies. 

It's not the game the genre needs right now. 

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Un-hyped. I sincerely hope they didn't put all their eggs into these "four grails" baskets because those amount to no more than features. Disappointed about the class system. The combat seemed Diablo-ish and a bit extreme on the effects. Hate the lion race... ugh. I could care less about Minecraft Next...

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327

After watching the gameplay a few times I grew to be ok with the graphics. At first when the phazed from the emotes to the character I thought it looked like 90's Disney, but once seeing everything with the enviroment I'm quite happy with it. I'd say if WoW was to consider an engine upgrade, this would be how it would look

Loving the concept and ideas. I hope SOE can pull this off because if they don't .. there is a Titan of a game that now knows their secret!

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    [mod edit]

i like the graphics.  Its a shame you wont be playing a potentially awesome game just do to the art style.

There are plenty of reasons to go stylaistc.  Easier on low end machines, easier to create new art.  And I am guessing with the sheer amount of sandboxy goodness in the game, was a lot easier to develop tools for players.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Watched the live event and looked awesome but they did fool us, that was not  the working game. That was a demo =-) Good looking one but I am going to need a lot more before I am sold on this. They have added some nice touches but I want to try it to judge if this really is the ground breaking game they think it is. 
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

exceeded my expectations. if the panels tomorrow keep this pace i will be one happy customer. 

would be nice to see georgeson's hint on siege based pvp confirmed though.  that would add a whole new element of depth. i would play this game for 10 years, easy. 

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    There's enough to make me curious, though without any context/experience my imagination is having a little trouble parsing the meaning out of all the flashes and bangs of the video.
  • ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

"The Character models are more cartoony than I expected."

Indeed. EQN seems, graphic wise, to be aimed at the children of those who played EQ1.

When in doubt, troll.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by XAleX360

Graphics is the least of the problems. The problem is that this sounds too much like GW2.5 and too little like the sandbox we were promised. This is nothing like Ultima Online or Star Wars Galaxies. 

Your quoting "genres" that currently exisit or existed. We don't need any more of those, we need something new

Lets just see how this fleshes out, I'm dying to see what their version of a "sandbox" is when fully executed

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Why hell have they chose cartoony graphics....why oh why oh why oh why.

What a complete eff up. Looks like I'm staying in lotro until mordor arrives.

Using a game that has the worst character models of any MMO in existence as an example seems silly.  The game world is amazing but man are the models terrible.  It's why everyone walks around in cloaks to hide their ugliness.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    wow, what they said about game sounds amazing. if they really pull this off, i would finally have something really close to my dream game :)
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I guess like all of you guys, I have a child that is awed and a critical old sot within me.

Watching the presentation, I sat in awe with tears of joy in my eye over all the cool idea. And for now, I say, let's give them the chance to work this out. SOE is capable to do this. EQ, EQ2 and SWG have been proven to be good games. I KNOW there is ample reason to be skeptical. I really love the features as I hear about them. They tossed in a lot of new ideas, they really plan to change MMos, and I totally respect that. No matter what will come of it in coming years, trying to remake the MMO concept deserves all our suppport.

However, that's the moment Statler and Waldorf living in my brain (wtf are they DOING there...) come into play and give all sort of questions and comments.

- I am NOT thrilled about the art style. I hope the tone down the comic-style, but I understand WHY they chose it. Stylized just has a MUCH greater longevity. Also I simply don't know if Voxel CAN be realistic. But graphics can only be judged if you are inside a game, so I withhold any real judgement until I play the game. Vids and Screenshots prove only so much.

- Destructability is a cool thing. One skeptical thought: what will hinder griefers from constantly keeping Norrath in a state of rubble as if WW3 just happened? Just asking.

- Combat animation can be better, but then we are still in alpha or what. So no biggie, yet.

- Migrating mobs. Hm. I LOVE the idea. Really. The reality can be... different. "WHERE THE HECK ARE THE ORCS I NEED FOR MY QUEST, DAMMIT?!" But then maybe the dynamic world just makes it so that you just do something else. I say, wait and see how it works out.

tl;dr:

My 2 biggest issues: cartoony graphics, not sure if want. Destructability and migrating mobs offer TONS of grief possibilities for evil players.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• buckeyebuckeye Member UncommonPosts: 70
    So much for Black Boxing. 6 months+ away. Blizzard will go all hands on deck and beat them to market with a lot of these features.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

I must be nuts because most of this sounds absolutely terrible to me; and I can almost 100% ensure that the game will lack any longevity, based on several of the points in this article (multi-classing, no levels, etc).

It sounds like a single player action game to me; like GW2, which sucks.

• crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28
    This looks like a cartoon version of GW2... NOT impressed at all.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Taranx
    Originally posted by XAleX360

Your quoting "genres" that currently exisit or existed. We don't need any more of those, we need something new

Lets just see how this fleshes out, I'm dying to see what their version of a "sandbox" is when fully executed

I didnt hear much on what is sandbox about this game. I didnt see anything I can build as a players. The idea of the world changing by the actions of many is a little sandboxish but its not IMO living up to the claim of being the biggest sandbox MMO ever.
  • SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    My expectations were higher and I don't feel that the presentation came close to meeting them. I had high hopes but feel this is not what I am looking for.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Hurray a graphic style that won't look outdated 2 years after launch like EQ2 did! 

Really, can't people realize 'realistic' makes it extreme easy for the game to look graphically outdated extra quick?

Exactly. I'm personally a fan of realistic art styles, but the reason we're seeing these stylized approaches a lot lately has to do with the fact they hold up way better over time.

Yep. Imagine what WoW would look like now if had photo realistic graphics. I'm sure would could find some games to compare  from that era. It would look crap tbh. At one time SWG looked good, over time it didn't age well. WoW has to an extent aged well because of the stylized look.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

I blame WoW for this cartoony crap.

That was my only gripe about the game though, and i got over it in SWToR, I'll get over it in this game. I'll look at Archage and Black Desert for realistic graphics and proportions.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

first, Twitch stream had over 1.5 million viewer :0

I dont like the telegraphing

no mention of character advancement, will be waiting to see how that works

I dont like the weapon skills things ala gw2

Everything else seems really good, cant wait to explore the depths

• VeldaraVeldara Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I'm wary about any soe game, the fact that this game is f2p just tells me there's a big chance of it being a cashshop abuse and nickle and dime game like all their other titles.
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Tiller
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Hurray a graphic style that won't look outdated 2 years after launch like EQ2 did! 

Really, can't people realize 'realistic' makes it extreme easy for the game to look graphically outdated extra quick?

Exactly. I'm personally a fan of realistic art styles, but the reason we're seeing these stylized approaches a lot lately has to do with the fact they hold up way better over time.

Yep. Imagine what WoW would look like now if had photo realistic graphics. I'm sure would could find some games to compare that with from that era. It would look crap tbh. At one time SWG looked good, over time it didn't age well. WoW has to an extent aged well because of the stylized look.

I disagree..Wow has not aged well at all. The graphics were bad when they were released and they still are. Just because it doesnt look realistic doesn't mean you can't tell it's old. Harsh lines, limited detail..yeah, still looks bad. I'd say SWG looks better then WoW still, same with luclin models in eq1 or eq2's graphics (all the same era, some predating)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I must admit that SOE have peaked my interest.  If they just can get the programming right they might actually pull this off. :)
  • StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    After looking at cartoony graphics for over 10 years straight, the MMO SOE trumpets as "Next" gen has...the same damn graphics we're already sick of seeing...
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Every single person in this thread is the most overly critical dramatic troll I've ever seen.  I keep seeing oh this is just GW 2.5...

What? How?  GW2 is nothing but a static world with timed PQ's that change absolutely nothing with a masked quest grind in the shape of a heart.

The art style fits the world perfectly, and gives them a lot more room to grow over time.  Not to mention the ability for us the players to create things for the world too without making it an eyesore if we don't get hyper realistic art right.

The class mix and match is new too, you can't do that in GW2.  The one thing that is going to be a nightmare for SOE is class balance.  If I can mix and match classes and abilities you know people are gonna find god mode combinations.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.