Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reveal Stream / Preview Article General Discussion Thread

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    like everything but the telegraphing.  i thought this was going to be hardcore
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Incase nobody noticed - the combat isn't a simple faceroll - the human is healing all the time.

!

Kurzen Medicine Man in STV did the same thing and 1000 others,hehee.

(~25 lvl lowbie mob in WoW)

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Lokero

It seems to me, that open world PvP sounds natural in that system.

If there's a war between Orcs and Barbarians or something over Halas, and you can side with either, wouldn't it stand to reason you would be fighting against players helping the other side?

dont you think they wouldve mention open world pvp if that was the plan?  they didnt even mention pvp at all, i watched the whole broadcast

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

Am I the only one who ACUTALLY likes the graphics?

Nice world

Good spell effects

cartoon characters

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

I see alot of people hating the graphics.  Given the scope of what they are doing, it only stands to reason that they'd have to dumb down the graphics to a stylized version.  When people are actively destroying the world in front of you, that's a whole lot of crap happening, etc.

So, I can say, the less realistic graphics are an acceptable trade off for me.

I'm honestly having a hard time picturing this without PvP though.  It seems like everything they've done almost relies on PvP in some way or another.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if the game had a central PvP focus and they are just too afraid to talk about it.

• wblastynwblastyn Member Posts: 13

I prefer the more stylized graphics, they tend to age better than the more realistic kind (EQ2 looks ugly now!).

Do you think we can have player built cities, housing, etc? Or are the only cities the ones we build through Rallying Cries? If so, I'm kinda disappointed!

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

PvP was mentioned.

I know I heard something about players attacking players or their buildings, or something like that...

Originally posted by TribeofOne

It seems to me, that open world PvP sounds natural in that system.

If there's a war between Orcs and Barbarians or something over Halas, and you can side with either, wouldn't it stand to reason you would be fighting against players helping the other side?

dont you think they wouldve mention open world pvp if that was the plan?  they didnt even mention pvp at all, i watched the whole broadcast

Seems debatable.  Given how much people freak out over the subject, it would be theoretically better to wait until everyone is hooked and interested in all the other features before throwing out a religious concept like that.  It's not like they are 100% revealing every detail of the game, I'm sure.

I'm just curious to see, because it sounds built for PvP from the ground up.  Destructbility, multi-sided rallying cries, etc.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

About PvP, I'm a bit appalled they didn't talk about it at all, but the way they designed the game seems to be compatible with both PvE/PvP and full PvP servers without any need to dumb down one or the other side.

I think they held that back from the reveal so they could keep the speculation fires burning while we wait for more info.

Builds better hype that way so I wasn't expecting them to share everything today.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by kjempff

<>

Combat looks very very did I say very ? dissapointing.. I get this GW2 combat feeling, and that is a bad thing. Also the over exxagerated effects are annoying.

Lets see where it goes, the ideas are great the gameplay are not promising.

Agreed about how the gameplay does not look promising. Everything else looks so promising, like this is my dream mmo when it comes to the concepts and ideas. But the gameplay demo at the end did not look so great - the moves and effects looked so exaggerated. It looked like the devs were trying too hard to make every single fight be "as epic as possible." We don't need most fights to be super epic. Most of them can be normal (as long as the gameplay is really fun).

That said, it was just a demo, and you can never tell just how the gameplay feels until you try it. So it could feel awesome and I won't know that until I get to experience it. Hopefully it is.

So I think this will come down to how good it feels when it's us behind the keyboard.

Originally posted by kellian1

<>

Crafting? not mention. I'm assuming it will have some....but nothing mentioned.

<>

From what they did show I'm very excited about what they showed. Not a huge fan of the graphic or art style, but if the gameplay turns out to be what they say...I can overlook it.

They mentioned crafting briefly when talking about rallying points. When building the cities, he mentioned something like how some of the jobs will require crafters, so you can help out that way.

And I agree about the graphics. This will all come down to the gameplay. We will get used to the art style if the gameplay is solid and all these ideas work out as great as they sound.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

I see alot of people hating the graphics.  Given the scope of what they are doing, it only stands to reason that they'd have to dumb down the graphics to a stylized version.  When people are actively destroying the world in front of you, that's a whole lot of crap happening, etc.

I'm honestly having a hard time picturing this without PvP though.  It seems like everything they've done almost relies on PvP in some way or another.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if the game had a central PvP focus and they are just too afraid to talk about it.

Right...They're just going to spring it on everyone last minute?... image

He mentioned PvP in passing...But this is an EQ game...A franchise that has been built of PvE...And their main focus seems to be changing the actual environment and how it reacts to the players...Not how the environment reacts to the players fighting other players...image

• wblastynwblastyn Member Posts: 13
    It was nice seeing the wizard spires again, hopefully it means wizard teleports.  BUT... No GNOMES!!! :(
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Do monsters destroy your landmark castles?  Can other players?
    Originally posted by KyngBills

Right...They're just going to spring it on everyone last minute?... image

He mentioned PvP in passing...But this is an EQ game...A franchise that has been built of PvE...And their main focus seems to be changing the actual environment and how it reacts to the players...Not how the environment reacts to the players fighting other players...image

Hehe, well, there's still a long time between now and then.  They still have alot of stuff to detail and reveal, crafting, pvp, etc.

That aside, this franchise was built on alot of things they seem to be throwing out the window with this game, so it's not that far-fetched.

But, since they seem to be having a typical server/shard system, I am sure it's a rather moot point.  If it were PvP centralized, and enough complaints they would throw in PVE servers or vice-versa with PvE focus and PvP complaints.

I just point out, with the customizability and interactivity, PvP sounds like the only real way to keep things from complete chaos, etc.

Either that, or I expect they'll have separate continents for castle-building and PvP, etc.  Sort of like border kingdoms/pvp zones.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by svann

They mentioned about having them in on DAy 1, I assume once in game they are open for destruction, same as anything else.

Maybe they will be rebuilt in game (He did mention about the world "healing" itself at one point).

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

We don't know.

He did mention that the "world heals itself." This sounds to me like after a battle in a particular location, the world (structures, ground, trees, etc) will return to normal after a little while. How long? We don't know.

If your stuff can be destroyed by monsters, it sounds like it will regenerate itself after a while. If we're talking about the rallying point, then it sounds like those cities can be destroyed permanently over time.

As for your castles being destroyed in PVP, there is little to no info on this. Speculation - I'd be very surprised if the castle you spent hours on (and real life money on buying someone else's towers to use) could just be destroyed by some passing by PVP party.

Originally posted by Jimmac

We don't know.

He did mention that the "world heals itself." This sounds to me like after a battle in a particular location, the world (structures, ground, trees, etc) will return to normal after a little while. How long? We don't know.

If your stuff can be destroyed by monsters, it sounds like it will regenerate itself after a while. If we're talking about the rallying point, then it sounds like those cities can be destroyed permanently over time.

As for your castles being destroyed in PVP, there is little to no info on this. Speculation - I'd be very surprised if the castle you spent hours on (and real life money on buying someone else's towers to use) could just be destroyed by some passing by PVP party.

I'm more wondering about the construction itself.  How do you give all players control over building in the world?  Is there going to be a ton of instancing going on?  I'm assuming it's going to take alot of interweaving of crafters and harvesting of parts from the sounds of it(naturally), but where will the restrictions lie on someone trying to cover the whole world in their junk?  There obviously must be something to prevent total and complete chaos across all the world.

So either defined building areas or instancing, are the only general restrictions that come to mind.  The other option is permanent destruction by NPC enemies.  If you build a house randomly out in the middle of nowhere and a wandering giant wrecks it, then is it gone forever?  I want more details on the actual freedom restrictions(Yes, I know that phrase makes no sense)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Lots of likes and dislikes so far..  There are a ton of answered questions and concerns I have, and only time will tell if they get answered.. 
  • DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112
    I'd like to know how they're going to handle instancing.
  • termsytermsy Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Dudehog

This.

I really dont want to see a loading screen for every zone. They're awful.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by termsy
    Originally posted by Dudehog

This.

I really dont want to see a loading screen for every zone. They're awful.

That's not instancing.

You can be confident you can run from one end of Norrath to the other without ever hitting "LOADING PLEASE WAIT".

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

The art style im not crazy about...looks like WoW and Guild Wars 2 had a baby.No thanks,wish they would have went with their own unique style rather than go for the kiddy crap.

graphics were expected,looks similar to PS2

Also if they are going to telegraph the mob AOE's with the red outlines.Ala Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World.Thats is also a negative in my book..

• bayanmerkidbayanmerkid Member Posts: 6
    This game smells like D3. I was going to buy a new pc for this game, looks like ill be buying a ps4 instead. Its obviously made for platform in mind, anyone who doesnt think so is dillusional.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

If SOE can make all these concepts work together smoothly, this game will be the best "virtual world" we have ever seen image

EQN is now officially at the top of my "wanted" list. By a fairly wide margin...

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by azarhal

I'm wondering how fast it "repair" itself though, they will have to do it otherwise Norrath will end up as a swiss cheese really fast.

*dig deep into some mountain*

*log off for some random reason*

*log back on 3 months later*

*fuck I can't see anything where am I*

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?