Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fingers crossed! - Please require grouping to level up

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

I didn't play EQ, but when this game's beta starts, I'm going to ask these questions:

Are you forced to group to level up?

I think games coming out still make easy mode single player mmo's but now, they offer different paths to solo your way to victory like dynamic events, crafting, etc.

I want a good old fashioned 2-5 hour group exp'ing fest.  Anyone else want this?

Leveling up by yourself is what a lot of players end up doing, why, because it's normally the fastest and most convenient way to level.  So games nowadays enable casuals/everyone to coast to victory alone to the level cap.

So, who ever is the decision maker in EQ Next, please require after the tutorial in order to progress.  And by require, I mean, I don't wanna hear any crap about some guy in Iceland who dinged level cap in 3 days.  I wanna hear some guy in Iceland dinged level cap in 3 months.  And if there aren't traditional levels, I don't wanna hear about "some guys" say there isn't anything in the endgame after 1 week after release hehe.

I want this to be a good ole fashioned stay up all night group with you guildies/friends in order to get a fraction of a level type game hehe.

I'm not looking to start a flame war, I just wanna know if you EQ players feel the same way (I was an old Daoc player)

My friend told me he did a raid where some guy lost like 3 levels haha.  Or some PvE groups last like 8 hours.  That's what I'm talking about.  Is this game going to be like that?  I hope so.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    I don't feel it should be required, it should just be EXPONENTIALLY slower and more difficult to solo. Instead of alienating solo players, lets give them incentive to be social.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323

Love your thinking.. I do think MMOs need to go back to basics and make the games harder and require grouping a whole lot more.

MMOs will always need the fun solo activities though.. but it should be on the sideline.. Just my opinion.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by time007

I didn't play EQ,

Then you might not be aware that some classes were able to solo just fine.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    I don't feel it should be required, it should just be EXPONENTIALLY slower and more difficult to solo. Instead of alienating solo players, lets give them incentive to be social.

Exactly....if you make it solo impossible, dont be suprised if the game maintains at max 50k players.

They should have oodles of solo content, but also ample group content that enable you to level faster if done....and this is prob something 90% of these forums either don't kow, or choose to ignore, but SWTOR did this almost perfectly. I have never grouped up to level so much in a game than I did back when i was playing SWTOR. That includes UO and SWG.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by doodphace

Exactly....if you make it solo impossible, dont be suprised if the game maintains at max 50k players.

They should have oodles of solo content, but also ample group content that enable you to level faster if done....and this is prob something 90% of these forums either don't kow, or choose to ignore, but SWTOR did this almost perfectly. I have never grouped up to level so much in a game than I did back when i was playing SWTOR. That includes UO and SWG.

One of the few things that SWTOR nailed. It made it very simple to login and have something to do no matter how many or how few people were available to group with.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would not bet on grouping being a requirement, or even having a bonus on top of solo playing.

But if there is, expect multiboxers to rejoice because they would have even more reasons to multibox. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Everyone should face an elite type of enemy/event every few quests that would require to team up with at least one or two others. That would be awesome.

And make those quests important, almost to unavoidable quests.

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110

This.

I also liked that in EQ1 you could solo up at a reasonable pace if you selected certain classes, such as magician or necromancer (even druids were pretty good, especially when they could start quad kiting).  I played two classes in EQ - one a mage and the other a shaman - would use the mage when I only had an hour or two. 

EQ1 wasn't as solo-unfriendly as some folks like to make it out to be.. but it definitely limited the content you could do, which I personally LOVED about the game.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

I loved grouping! you actually had to talk to people, and you made friends, you actually had a friends list. When people logged on there was a rush to get them into your group. You knew almost everyone in your guild cause you had to group with them.

There actually was a community!

I also had another list of people who NOT to group with... But that's another story

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by svann

I didn't play EQ,

Then you might not be aware that some classes were able to solo just fine.

This is true, but grouping (with a good group) was still more efficient.  As long as that holds true then I am content.  

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174

The problem with this is that guys like me who can only play late at night and early in the morning have trouble finding groups.

I honestly hope that this game is skill based and not level based. Levels are gross and pointless.

• supa_flysupa_fly Member Posts: 11

I had another post going, where I am hoping that EQN brings human interaction back to the MMO genre, and putting emphasis on grouping would go a long way to encouraging player interaction. Solo should be possible, but grouping should bring enough tangible benefits that it should be the preferred method of leveling and progressing through the game.

I am not trying to be insensitive to people that prefer to solo, but there are plenty of single player RPG's and MMORPG's out today, EQN will be just fine bucking the current trend.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169

Grouping was not at all a requirement for leveling up in eq, it did however make it alot faster to level, and more importantly alot safer.

The problem with todays mmorpgs isnt that you arn't forced to grp to lvl up, its that there is really no noticeable benefit to grouping for lvling, infact in most cases its counter productive to group up while lvling.

The lvling process is somewhere eq1 hit spot on, The leveling pace was slow, but not to slow, if you died you'd suffer heavy penalties, if you were careless where you died you would have issues recovering your corpse.

This all worked together to encourage grouping, aswell as giving the game a longer lifespan as you couldnt possibly hit max lvl in a few days.

• Defines83Defines83 Member Posts: 14
    I dont't mind being able to solo someone should be able to handle a straggler or two from time to time. but i hope the mobs are hard enough that when you pull more than 2 your pretty much dead as a solo player. if they implement a AA system to advance your character to become stronger than yeah being able to handle a few more mobs would fit. but the going out into the world and being able to wipe out an entire camp all by yourself with little or no effort should probably go.
  • QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41

I want this to be a good ole fashioned stay up all night group with you guildies/friends in order to get a fraction of a level type game hehe.

I don't know about you personally, but most people who have played the older MMOs have grown up and have real-life responsibilities now. Very few people have the time or will to spend all night playing a video game, especially when they have work in the morning, kids to feed, a spouse to keep happy, amongst other responsibilities.

So sure, let's bring gaming back to those days, and we can all enjoy our extremely small niche community!

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    If grouping was a requirement for all content, EQN will be nothing more than a niche game and the Devs will have shot themselves in the foot, knees and testicles.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Yeah, when you are not grouped you should receive a movement penalty where your character can only crawl! And you are not allowed to use any weapons when solo!11!!11! I make anyone who doesn't want to group with me and carry me through the game, miserable! You know you deserve it!
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    I hope the idea of the game is that everyone is solo but certain activities require groups and other activities are better with groups. So if you want to kill a big monster you need friends. If your town is invaded you need everyone in the area to help. If there is a big war there are roles for solo spy types, small hit and run groups and large assault forces. Samdbox should mean that there are many ways to skin a cat.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I would want it to be like in EQ.

Some classes can solo, some are 100% useless solo. My warrior was completely useless solo in EQ, I was forced to group, and I enjoyed it.

• supa_flysupa_fly Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Markusrind
    I hope the idea of the game is that everyone is solo but certain activities require groups and other activities are better with groups. So if you want to kill a big monster you need friends. If your town is invaded you need everyone in the area to help. If there is a big war there are roles for solo spy types, small hit and run groups and large assault forces. Samdbox should mean that there are many ways to skin a cat.

I read that as 80% solo and 20% group...give or take and I personally feel that would be like every other MMO currently out. I am personally hoping for a 60/40 or 70/30 grouping to solo ratio personally.

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

I like the idea of grouping being "needed" but not "required".  For example.... In EQ, if you were 1 of most classes, you needed to group.  If you wanted to do many many things you needed to group.  But, if you were one of the few classes that "could" solo, then you could opt to do that.  Yes it was slower, but it was possible. 

In FFXI, soloing was ok for the first few levels.  But then it became literally impossible to solo.  You were "required" to group (at least until you unlocked some of the classes that could solo if they wanted).  For me, this was a deal-breaker.  The game had me for a while, but then I realized that the rest of the game I would always have to group up to accomplish anything.  Which led me to quit and never look back. 

I love grouping, but I'd like to see it return to a class-dependant situation.  If you play X class, then prepare to be forced to group a lot because you can't solo.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by doodphace

They should have oodles of solo content, but also ample group content that enable you to level faster if done....and this is prob something 90% of these forums either don't know, or choose to ignore, but SWTOR did this almost perfectly. I have never grouped up to level so much in a game than I did back when i was playing SWTOR. That includes UO and SWG.

I agree...Sort of...

I grouped more in the CU version of SWG than any other game I've played...And I've about played them all...Almost anyway...I do play SWTOR currently in a pretty decent sized group of folks and I we do group up a bit...But I also solo a TON too...I almost never solo'd in SWG during the CU...In fact I can't remember soloing at all while I was leveling in the CU...Definitely did a bit in the NGE, especially the Legacy...The XP bonus was just too enticing not to group during the CU...It was awesome!!!

But you're a 100% correct in saying a current day MMO without a ton of solo content would be doomed from the start...Everything is different nowadays...Devs HAVE to offer a lot of solo content and the last thing they want to do is make it an impossible solo-grind because...well...They don't want people to quit...It's really that simple...image

• SaiGodJinSaiGodJin Member Posts: 22

worts stupid idea a human mind can defecate lol ...

lone wolf players are always in mmo and while a team may grow 20 % faster and get more nice loot ,solo players should not fall behind to much and be able to grow nice alone.

some people dont have time to stay 1 hour to get a team and to ahve a specific role , some just want to quest or grind they lvl or maybe pvp 

• jpowell26mjpowell26m Member UncommonPosts: 13
    you must have played a different EQ than I did back in 1999 cause as I recall every class in the game could solo their way to greatness all it took was knowing your class and the best area's to hunt in. Yea it was slower to solo and the loot was iffy but there were advantages for anti-social people like myself.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

All I see are post of people asking for things this game is not going to have... Just think about it....

They are not making a game that requires grouping to progress completely.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"