Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do people think about the armoury system?

2»

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by svann
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

Did NOBODY pay attention to the gear sets?  

That being said...yes you have a lot of different gear.  Make it into sets....problem solved.  

Yes I used gear sets, but it still got complicated when it came to reusing gear between classes and when it came to throwing gear out.

How?  I really don't understand this.

Let's say you're playing GLD and changing to LNC.

You're wearing a piece of leather armor for arguments sake that both can wear.

Change your weapon, all of that equipment comes off.

Make a new gearset

Problem solved....

For the materia/throwing away there's this crazy concept called organization.  Put your DoW gear next to eachother in such a way that you know where to look for it IE: GLD, LNC, THM, CNJ in each slot inventory.  If you're going to turn it into materia or throw it away/sell it....put it on the bottom right corner.

I don't see the issue here....did you expect the game to wipe for you too? lol

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Did NOBODY pay attention to the gear sets?  

That being said...yes you have a lot of different gear.  Make it into sets....problem solved.  

In the beta forums there has been dev response to the whole gear comparison thing, along with other small things like cloaks and taking up two places but the auto-switch not always catching on to that, etc.

And when you go looking for those old pieces of gear you mean to turn into Materia, those sets don't do you a darn bit of good trying to find it in your bag.

The sets are nice, and great for equipping the same gear over for just a quick class change, but when you need to find a specific piece of gear (maybe you want to use those same arms you just looted on your GLD for your MRD, maybe you want to sell old gear off, maybe you want to repair certain items, maybe you just want to look around, etc.) - the bags are a mess. That much is true.

Even just having some sort of Sort feature would help a ton - sort by class, sort by level, sort by repairs needed, etc. Filters would be nice too - just show class/level/repairs/etc. But something. The icons are fairly small and somewhat generic. The same applies to craft items as well - some of them won't stack, holes get stuck in your inventory, some abilities are items (chocobo whistle, gyshal greens, etc) - the bags get really cluttered...

I love how people will always find something to complain about.

Before it was "how do we keep track of gear if it's all mixed in our inventory and there's not enough room for all the items"

"Here, it's a gear-specific inventory system, broken down by body part so each goes into its own inventory window"

"N

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

If they could have figured out a way to break up classes from 1.00 I think they would have ditched it. 

The current game has a quest train that gets you a single 50 and then things fly off the rails really fast and you are left in the state 1.00 was in for leveling. Worse really because they removed grind parties.

I'm sure if they could have their cake and eat it too, they would have made ARR character slotted and you level each War and Magic stand alone so they could recycle the early quest system, just like WoW, just like Tera, Just like every cookie cutter, theme park MMO on the market. They had no way to save 1.00 accounts though. No way to dissect the character that had leveled everything to 50 and they weren't ready to abandon the people who played 1.00 through.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by free2play

If they could have figured out a way to break up classes from 1.00 I think they would have ditched it. 

The current game has a quest train that gets you a single 50 and then things fly off the rails really fast and you are left in the state 1.00 was in for leveling. Worse really because they removed grind parties.

I'm sure if they could have their cake and eat it too, they would have made ARR character slotted and you level each War and Magic stand alone so they could recycle the early quest system, just like WoW, just like Tera, Just like every cookie cutter, theme park MMO on the market. They had no way to save 1.00 accounts though. No way to dissect the character that had leveled everything to 50 and they weren't ready to abandon the people who played 1.00 through.

I'm ok with this all though.  For one it means to my character at least that the quest actually means something :P.(even if it's small and trivial)

Secondly the xp gain rate is increased for secondary classes.  I'll have tons of guildleves saved up from leveling my first class since it can mostly be done through normal quests.  I want a character to play a role not an alt or a toon.  Besides you'll probably be doing a lot of dungeon running anyway for gear on your secondary classes.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Ayulin
    Originally posted by Ridelynn   Originally posted by Kajidourden Did NOBODY pay attention to the gear sets?     That being said...yes you have a lot of different gear.  Make it into sets....problem solved.   In the beta forums there has been dev response to the whole gear comparison thing, along with other small things like cloaks and taking up two places but the auto-switch not always catching on to that, etc.
      And when you go looking for those old pieces of gear you mean to turn into Materia, those sets don't do you a darn bit of good trying to find it in your bag. The sets are nice, and great for equipping the same gear over for just a quick class change, but when you need to find a specific piece of gear (maybe you want to use those same arms you just looted on your GLD for your MRD, maybe you want to sell old gear off, maybe you want to repair certain items, maybe you just want to look around, etc.) - the bags are a mess. That much is true. Even just having some sort of Sort feature would help a ton - sort by class, sort by level, sort by repairs needed, etc. Filters would be nice too - just show class/level/repairs/etc. But something. The icons are fairly small and somewhat generic. The same applies to craft items as well - some of them won't stack, holes get stuck in your inventory, some abilities are items (chocobo whistle, gyshal greens, etc) - the bags get really cluttered...

Before it was "how do we keep track of gear if it's all mixed in our inventory and there's not enough room for all the items"

"Here, it's a gear-specific inventory system, broken down by body part so each goes into its own inventory window"

"N

I'm not complaining, it's better than the 1.0 solution by a long shot. I'm addressing a problem and explaining how it could be even better.

The inventory system is still somewhat of a jumbled mess.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Originally posted by Ayulin

Originally posted by Kajidourden Did NOBODY pay attention to the gear sets?     That being said...yes you have a lot of different gear.  Make it into sets....problem solved.   In the beta forums there has been dev response to the whole gear comparison thing, along with other small things like cloaks and taking up two places but the auto-switch not always catching on to that, etc.
      And when you go looking for those old pieces of gear you mean to turn into Materia, those sets don't do you a darn bit of good trying to find it in your bag. The sets are nice, and great for equipping the same gear over for just a quick class change, but when you need to find a specific piece of gear (maybe you want to use those same arms you just looted on your GLD for your MRD, maybe you want to sell old gear off, maybe you want to repair certain items, maybe you just want to look around, etc.) - the bags are a mess. That much is true. Even just having some sort of Sort feature would help a ton - sort by class, sort by level, sort by repairs needed, etc. Filters would be nice too - just show class/level/repairs/etc. But something. The icons are fairly small and somewhat generic. The same applies to craft items as well - some of them won't stack, holes get stuck in your inventory, some abilities are items (chocobo whistle, gyshal greens, etc) - the bags get really cluttered...

"N

I'm not complaining, it's better than the 1.0 solution by a long shot. I'm addressing a problem and explaining how it could be even better.

The inventory system is still somewhat of a jumbled mess.

Nope, see page before this one.  Easy solutions.  People are lazy.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by NetSage
    Originally posted by free2play

I'm ok with this all though.  For one it means to my character at least that the quest actually means something :P.(even if it's small and trivial)

Secondly the xp gain rate is increased for secondary classes.  I'll have tons of guildleves saved up from leveling my first class since it can mostly be done through normal quests.  I want a character to play a role not an alt or a toon.  Besides you'll probably be doing a lot of dungeon running anyway for gear on your secondary classes.

This remains to be seen. As a Legacy member I have no issue with the nature of the 'quest for end game' so long as I have other content to keep me busy. I get a feeling the people who capped 35 in the Beta will pull a turn about when they see how much grind the game demands.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    True, but I can hope :P.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I think there is so much to do in this game, only the truly "hardcore" are going to have every class leveled to 50 and full maxed out gear sets for all of them.

You know, just like in a game like WoW where only a few really hardcore players maxed leveled and fully raided/pvp'd with every class.

I played WoW on and off for 7-8 years, ended up with 4 max or almost max level characters. Only ever raided with multiple toons in WotLK.

I can see myself doing the same in FFXIV:ARR.

A couple of jobs maxed out, maybe raid with 1-2, prob a single crafting /gathering profession maxed.

But I do love the armory system.

Much, much, much nicer than having to keep alt sets in your bags ala WoW. Did that for way too many years.

It's not any more/less disorganized then it is/was in WoW.

If they added an indicator that let you know if an item in your Armory chest was bound to a set or not, I'd be happy.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by emperorhades1

The armoury system was one of the few things taken from 1.0. and carried in to the realm reborn.

For those who don't follow, the armoury system lets one character be all characters by just switching a weapon.

The characters are then able to level all classes and gain all skills.  In the end, all characters will have all skills and be able to switch freely between any class they wish to play.

I Love it.

By nature I am an altoholic. I love the experience the different mechanics and designs in my game. The trade off has always been that I've had weaker characters. Not being able to focus on one character's development has left me being a jack of all trades but a master of none. Rift helped me a little. I did much better with one character and getting it set up the way I wanted. But, I still had other toons to focus on to some degree.

This game will allow me to continue to explore the different playstyles of the game and at the same time allow me to continue to build up on one character.

For the 1st time playing an MMO since SWG, I can see myself on a single character only.