Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Divergence Online: Checking in with Divergence Online

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It's been a few months since the three-part Independency interview series with Divergence Online's creator, Ethan Casner. If you've been wondering what the team's been up to, we've got you covered. See what's in the works and more in our latest Independency column. Tell us what you thin in the comments.

Lisa: So, your last funding campaign was a rousing success. Your goal was reasonable and you exceeded it. How have you been able to make use of that windfall, and what progress has been since we last talked?

Ethan: Since the last funding campaign, we spent that money essentially using it to build a proof of concept prototype. Instead of blowing it on CG trailers or advertising we focused it entirely on the construction of a framework for a truly massive game. The prototype right now doesn’t have a sweet, flashy interface UI or complex layered stat tracking, nor does it integrate with your twitter feed, but what it does do it does very well...

Read more of Lisa Jonte's Independency: Checking in with Divergence Online.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I have fairly high hopes for this game.  the interviews they did a few months ago made it sound it will fill a void in my gaming that hasn't been satisfied in a while.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    I hope this is like Entropia's beautiful immersion without the entire 10% loss for every amount invested. x;
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    and with destructible housing, I can finally role play the old guy sitting on the porch yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

A bit of a typo Suzie. "Tell us what you thin in the comments below"

Anyway never heard of this game and it's a sci-fi MMO or will be should I say I will keep my eye on it , thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Blimey! I'd forgotten about this game. I'm definitely glad to hear Ethan was still plugging away despite disappearing from the radar.

Guess I better go check it out to see what's new :)

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    sorry, wrong game.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Keep the sand boxs coming :)

This crowdfunding thing might very well actually lead to great games....

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    If everything is destructible it sounds like a griefers paradise. I'm still on the fence about this game, need more info.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I just watched 3 videos of the game and i really like what I saw and heard from Ethan. I hope he/they get enough funds to finish this project and I will play it. Good luck to him/them.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I truly hope the Kickstarter is a rousing success. If any game deserves to be successful this one is it. Ethan has worked on it very hard and his passion shows.

Smile

• EthanCEthanC Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Thanks for the support guys we really appreciate it! I just wanted to pop in and say that incase anyone wasn't aware, our Kickstarter starts in less than 24 hours and will feature over 20 minutes of footage and commentary spanning two videos!

www.Divergence-Online.com

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    production doesn't look high.. so ill pass
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    LOL. 8 years and how much investor/player money and just now he builds a proof of concept prototype? Really? Whats it going to take you guys to realize its a money pit worthy of Duke Nukem?

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• FradenFraden Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    LOL. 8 years and how much investor/player money and just now he builds a proof of concept prototype? Really? Whats it going to take you guys to realize its a money pit worthy of Duke Nukem?

If you watched his previous videos you'd realize his "investor" lied about having any money. All of the previous progress came from his own pocket (maybe some from smaller sources such as family). 

This new stuff is all a result of the current campaign so he has not taken more than three months to produce a prototype from player money, which is very fast considering what has been done.

Do research before you decide to flame, you may find you'll have more friends.

(It sucks you dont wanna see it)

• Kraken999Kraken999 Member Posts: 21
    I have been on the pre alpha game and its playable and fun  in its current form.  Have had a blast just building structures alone not counting something that I have missed since I played SWG.  The excitement of talking to others players online and planning out our city's layout ingame.  I forgot how much fun it was to be with other guys and gals who get a rush out of laying out a city, building defenses, city engineering, and city goverments.  You are really there in this game along with others who share a vision.  The endless land mass alone can be used to your advantage in hiding from others, terra forming allows you to customize your city and allow you to expand as your city grows, and the vibe from the other players in the pre alpha is unreal.  A real sense of people wanting to bond right off the bat.  Not some strangers waiting on a healer to show up or walk by to do a dungeon then never see each other again in game.  People on chat were talking to each other constantly, helping "barn raise" each others buildings, and were inviting you to a spot when something in the Divergence world demanded to be looked out.   Just wait till you look up the first night at the stars.  Was my first view of the alpha and I wont forget what the night sky looked like.   This isnt a log in , do a quest, log out or a meet at cave X at 2 am for a raid game.  This game will never be that shallow.  This is going to be a rich, deep, imagination driven game that never has an end game.
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

If you do the math you will see that it took 6 years, 300 million dollars and 500 programmers to make a piece of crap game called SWTOR which went free to play in record time.  It's taken Ethan, mainly by himself and very little money and 7 years to create a game that in pre alpha stages has more depth and is way more fun that biowares bar setting failure.  What he is calling a pre alpha already runs better than most games thats been out there for years and has a rabid following online.  Just because he is calling it pre alpha doesnt mean that its really a pre alpha level game.  I've seen it, have you?  I have played it, have you?  I have been playing mmo's since you had to roll 32 sided dice and I know a winner when I play it.  This game has, "emphasis on HAS",  every element that has been missing since WOW set the cookie cutter pattern.  If you hate WOW or its many dissapointing clones you are going to love this game with a passion.  It's the first true "world simulation" game in history.  Now I know some people are going to throw up a few games that "world simulation" elements but this game is wide open in play style.  And I do mean wide open.

• polySurfacepolySurface Member UncommonPosts: 79
    All I’m seeing is of the shelf purchased Ineisis Online mechanics and custom assets. I see no information in the videos on the delivery of the indiegogo campaign perks due for delivery either.

Feydikan sums up Divergence Online development.
    "OMG working so hard..pant pant... need sleep... pant pant.... and money... pant pant....keep faith"

Originally posted by mbd1968
    If everything is destructible it sounds like a griefers paradise. I'm still on the fence about this game, need more info.

Trust me, there are mechanics in place to make taking over a city or town pretty challenging and its implimentation of defenses are solely up to the city leaders.  If your city fails, it's not the games fault...It's yours.   As per a conversation last night with other alpha players we were talking about old world but effective ways to defend a city, fort, or keep.  The great thing about this game is that you dont have to depend upon the game to help you to survive, you have to depend on yourself and your mates to survive and prosper.  You have every option to succeed.  From intuitive building, terra forming, tree farming, foritfication placement, to espionage and counter spying, you have total freedom of how and when you can defend or strike.   If you watch the lastest videos you will see what they are talking about.  Even details of how certain building materials have different difficulties in being destroyed play a very important part in city construction.   Add that the map is literally endless in nature you have the option to be so far out that it will take forever to find your enclave or you can build close to others and hope your alliances hold up over time.

You wanted more info.  Here, follow this link and watch both videos.  What you are watching I have done on the pre alpha just last night.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH37ME36jfw

This game does sound better than life.  I think we have been so programmed from cookie cutter devs that we think that the game should be what holds it together where in this game the player base is the driving force, not some "story line" or linear questing which is always rinse and repeat.   If you enjoyed minecraft you love the building system in this game.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    yup griefer heaven.  they will love this game. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Good to see there are still people around who are prepared to fund ventures like this one. Sooner or later, one of these Kickstarter projects will deliver the goods.

The odds against them are higher than I'm prepared to risk though.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Not sure it is my type of game, but the housing construction stuff looks great, been saying someone needs to bring UOs style of block by block construction to a 3d mmo.  It is not as deep, but it is early, and looks much better than most mmos out there for this.
  • SaiGodJinSaiGodJin Member Posts: 22

those iditos with theyr game ..u cant even create an account on their forums because they faction osi question dont work 

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Yay, Esenthel engine with trees!!..

Where can i drop my millions!
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Fraden

If you watched his previous videos you'd realize his "investor" lied about having any money. All of the previous progress came from his own pocket (maybe some from smaller sources such as family).

Both of them? How about his first appeals for donations in '98 when he shut his website down the first time?

This new stuff is all a result of the current campaign so he has not taken more than three months to produce a prototype from player money, which is very fast considering what has been done.

Yeah, this is engine number 5 he had tried right? How many more times are you going to take his obvious incompetence and pleas for money before you just let the project die?

Do research before you decide to flame, you may find you'll have more friends.

I have plenty of friends, thanks for the concern though!

Originally posted by Kraken999

If you do the math you will see that it took 6 years, 300 million dollars and 500 programmers to make a piece of crap game called SWTOR which went free to play in record time.

It took 24 guys $50,000 and 18 months to come up with UO. And they were pioneering the systems and tech!

It's taken Ethan, mainly by himself and very little money and 7 years to create a game that in pre alpha stages has more depth and is way more fun that biowares bar setting failure.

[citation needed]

What he is calling a pre alpha already runs better than most games thats been out there for years and has a rabid following online.

I would not call 350 people a rabid following.

Just because he is calling it pre alpha doesnt mean that its really a pre alpha level game.  I've seen it, have you?  I have played it, have you?  I have been playing mmo's since you had to roll 32 sided dice and I know a winner when I play it.  This game has, "emphasis on HAS",  every element that has been missing since WOW set the cookie cutter pattern.  If you hate WOW or its many dissapointing clones you are going to love this game with a passion.  It's the first true "world simulation" game in history.  Now I know some people are going to throw up a few games that "world simulation" elements but this game is wide open in play style.  And I do mean wide open.

Sure, based on a couple hours with an outline that sounds suspiciously like the demo package. Totally believe it. I mean he is even censoring what feedback can be released out of said demo. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and outside of said "rabid following" he has yet to show any real proof any of it exists, much less has any sort of depth. I mean he cannot even convince any kind of serious investor and he plans to release it on the most shoestring of shoestring budgets, and is already promising away chunks of his profits to do so. How you can hope for something on par with Wyrm Online at best is silly.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Uhm, the article says that the campaign was supposed to start on August 1st, but it's already August 2nd and there is nothing on Kickstarter.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com