Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG what has Everquest Next done!!?!???!?

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

We for sure needed this thread... the forum isn't invaded enough by this topic already.

I predict a lot of whining and teeth gnashing tomorrow after the EQ Next presentation.

I will laugh if they have an announcement saying "The announcement has been postponed for another month! See yah all then!"

Smile

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Consequence
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

EQ, one of the biggest PvE THEMEPARK MMOs in history

You either never played EQ or don't know what a themepark is

I don't want to sound like I am aligned with the OP, cause I think he is a wierdo. But I am interested in this response. Are you saying Everquest wasn't a themepark?

It absolutely was, I played it for a long time. I am a sandbox guy by nature but in the world of Themeparks EQ doesn't get the credit it deserves( or possibly the infamy) for pioneering some of the things in Wow that themeparkers love and Sandboxers hate.

Not sure how anyone could say that EQ wasn't a themepark.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

all of this based on the fact SoE wants to take EQ, one of the biggest PvE THEMEPARK MMOs in history, and make it into a Sandbox, a genre which had a definition change to meaning FFA PvP MMO were you can kill anybody or anything at any time.

this is getting crazy!

You either never played EQ or dont understand what Themepark is, but "this is getting crazy" is true enough lol.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by klagmire
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by klagmire

Thing is SOE and or Smedley said---- "It will be a the biggest sandbox game ever" and ALSO---" IT will have a bigger emphasis on PVP"

Those are the only thing known about the game  so far , and its driving people CRAZY!!!!!!!

It just drives the PVE crowd MAD that they would emphasize PVP.

More like "the full loot FFA PvP crusaders know it's very unlikely that EQ Next will have all its servers full loot FFA PvP, if any, and it drives them crazy!".

Hey man. Im just reiterating what Smedley said. A SANDBOX with EMPHASIS on PVP. Thats aswome.

Can you show the original quote that said 'emphasis on pvp' ?

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Roin

EQ's design predates the themepark/sandbox dichotomy and the discussion around it. While most of todays themepark MMOs build on foundations layed by EQ, a lot of the features that define a themepark MMO today were not yet developed fully in EQ. If you want an illustration, you could say EQ was a themepark site with most attractions not yet built.

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How do you become a "spotlight poster" anyways? I really don't see how the OPs posts are supposed to be any better than anyone else's. Nothing personal...

You have to have an article that makes it "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" (the thread at the top of the Pub).

Its a Troll eat Troll world on MMORPG.com. Survival of the most social depressed.

EQN deserve the hype, its a big game and its SOE's first REAL MMO in a long time, so dont sweat it and wait for a couple more days, have fun, read the forums, sleep with your wife (LOL), just enjoy your life instead of getting bent out of shape about a company you dont like getting too much spotlight.

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How do you become a "spotlight poster" anyways? I really don't see how the OPs posts are supposed to be any better than anyone else's. Nothing personal...

You have to have an article that makes it "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" (the thread at the top of the Pub).

Its a Troll eat Troll world on MMORPG.com. Survival of the most social depressed.

EQN deserve the hype, its a big game and its SOE's first REAL MMO in a long time, so dont sweat it and wait for a couple more days, have fun, read the forums, sleep with your wife (LOL), just enjoy your life instead of getting bent out of shape about a company you dont like getting too much spotlight.

And these are the insulting comments I mean. Just because you don't have a title doesn't mean you have to go around insulting people that do. I actually got that title before I ever even had 50 posts, so what does that tell you? It's based on the thread you create, not how long you've posted threads for.

Smile

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

I always thought of EQ as more of an amusement park than a theme park, while the definitions are extremely similar the amusement park simply lacks the prevalent theme aspect. I never felt while playing EQ that there was some theme hammered into the world, you just existed and went from attraction to attraction, while modern MMOs added theme so you were part of some grand struggle ideally making people more interested in the world.

As for the non-derailed aspect of this thread I won't believe any of it until I see the details for myself. The hype machine is going full throttle and someone can so easily take a comment like "bigger emphasis on pvp" and run with it. But bigger meaning its relative, and he's already compared the game to EQ and VG, so more pvp than those games? lol... only single player games have less PvP than EQ/VG. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Kinda silly to read someone yelling out EQ was a theme park and they can't go to something else when Everquest is what basically started up the genre. While not in its complete form, its the game that set the foundation. Without Everquest, WoW could of turned out a lot different, much of what WoW has was taken from everquest and adjusted in their own fashion. Everquest in a way set the way MMos turned out to be before they were even established, and in that regard its silly to think they can't do anything to change up how their games play. There is no such thing as a company establishing itself one way and not being able to change the way their games function. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

I think people that have never played get EQ1 and EQ2 confused......EQ2 is the themepark on rails game with quest hubs and all.....EQ1 had very few quests (they added more later after people complained of course) and had a sandbox feel as you could go anywhere and do anything you wanted (well other than kill your fellow players).....It was only themepark in that it had classes and levels.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

This forum is going crazy after this EQNext hype.

so many discussions regarding Sandbox's and the PvP requirement in a Sandbox MMO.

all of this based on the fact SoE wants to take EQ, one of the biggest PvE THEMEPARK MMOs in history, and make it into a Sandbox, a genre which had a definition change to meaning FFA PvP MMO were you can kill anybody or anything at any time.

these two ideas and communities are clashing as the date of the reveal sets upon us. I wouldn't be surprised if the forum explodes tomorrow during the reveal.

this is getting crazy!

come on, even you all have to agree with me at least once in your lifetime. How about now?!? 

And the funny part is that EQ will most probably never be a pvp game. (And i am a pvp player, some may me even call hardcore on that suspect).

And i am not 100% convinced that EQN will be really a sandbox.. at least i would be extremely surprised come friday, if it is actually a real sandbox.

And yes.. it is pure madness what we see the recent days/weeks and all the topics.. i just hope this is over very soon. And that we get actually all necessary information about EQN, so that we know what EQN really will be.

Originally posted by Axehilt

Is it just me or have sandboxes been not just a discussion point but a major discussion point in these forums for as far back as I've been here?

EQ Next doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Yeap.. sandboxes and sandbox play was always a serious and hot discussed topic. But the rageing pvp vs pve, sandbox with or without pvp threads are all extremely influenced of EQN and some people which expect the hell out of it and will be seriously dissapointed at the end.. Some way or the other.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

This/

Plus going by what Brad has seen and knows over the last few days, EQ and Vanguard players are going to love it.

Anyone who thinks EQN is going to be the PVP game they have been dreaming about all these years will be the ones crying.

The OP is a journeyman threader, to many pointless threads that are full of miss information, take them with a pinch of salt.

Well.. EQ is/was never a sandbox, nor Vanguard. And EQ is more or less the grandfather of themepark gameplay.. to call it a themepark may be somewhat over the top.. but it isn't completely wrong to call it the first themepark.

And yes.. i guess EQ and Vanguard players will most probably like EQN.. because i doubt that SoE will go a completely different route with EQ.. and i do think that all sandbox features in EQN will be somewhat limited.

I guess there will be serious debates about it(coming the 2nd August), if EQN is a sandbox or not.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

This/

Plus going by what Brad has seen and knows over the last few days, EQ and Vanguard players are going to love it.

Anyone who thinks EQN is going to be the PVP game they have been dreaming about all these years will be the ones crying.

The OP is a journeyman threader, to many pointless threads that are full of miss information, take them with a pinch of salt.

Well.. EQ is/was never a sandbox, nor Vanguard. And EQ is more or less the grandfather of themepark gameplay.. to call it a themepark may be somewhat over the top.. but it isn't completely wrong to call it the first themepark.

And yes.. i guess EQ and Vanguard players will most probably like EQN.. because i doubt that SoE will go a completely different route with EQ.. and i do think that all sandbox features in EQN will be somewhat limited.

I guess there will be serious debates about it(coming the 2nd August), if EQN is a sandbox or not.

EQ was based on MUDS and neither sandbox or themepark, hell those words were not even around at that time to describe mmo's. The game had some sandbox features, skill based and open world plus non instanced.

If there is a description i'll go with sandpark., as for EQN i think it will be no more sandbox than ArcheAge or Age Of Wushu.

It would have to be everything that Wurm Online is to be a total sandbox mmo and i just can't see it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Sorry to come across as ill-informed (even though it's true... haven't been following EQ:Next at all), but what is this "reveal" being alluded to?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Yeap. EQ was based on the DikuMUD. And you can even go that far, that DikuMUD was the prototyp of all future themepark mmos. Very linear progression, very linear experience. And that is the fundament of any themepark. Yeap.. EQ/DikuMud didn't have the Questhubs, and was of course not so much of a guided experience. But everything else was there.

And about the Sandbox value of EQN. As i already said, i have my doubts. It could be more Sandbox in comparsion to Arche Age or Age of Wushu.. and both are not really that sandboxy anyway. (i even don't know if Age of Wushu is a sandbox at all.. but didn't played it enough nor do i know enough knowledge about it to have any worthy judgement about it)

And yeah.. i don't see it in any way as a sandbox like Wurm Online. At least i can somehow not imagine it. But who knows.. we could be all wrong and it is acutally the incarnation of sandbox gameplay.

At least i am eager to see what EQN is all about and can't wait til 2nd August.

Originally posted by Volkon
    Sorry to come across as ill-informed (even though it's true... haven't been following EQ:Next at all), but what is this "reveal" being alluded to?

2nd August at SoE Live are a series of presentations, and we know that EQN will be revealed in these days.(2./3. August)

Edit: Some of those presentation will as much as i know be even streamed over the internet. And of course we will see a lot of articles about it a few days/hours after.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    In UO if cast a AE in range of another player, it affected them. For that to happen in EQ both players had to be flagged PVP. Think about the difference that would make in your game...it's just one of a million examples when comapring a true sandbox to a themepark.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Roin

EQ's design predates the themepark/sandbox dichotomy and the discussion around it. While most of todays themepark MMOs build on foundations layed by EQ, a lot of the features that define a themepark MMO today were not yet developed fully in EQ. If you want an illustration, you could say EQ was a themepark site with most attractions not yet built.

Nonsense.

Lets review:

EQ  had linear zone progression. Zone 1 was lvl 1-5 with quests in that lvl range. The next zone was 5-10, 10-20 etc and so on. Linear progression is a staple of themeparks.

The game had an extremely rigid class system. All mages were pretty much identical, all Necros has access to the same skills, etc If you saw 1 Enchanter, you saw them all. This is also a characteristic of a themepark. There was virtually no freedom to develop your character how you chose. Once you select your class, your pretty much in a gear/level  grind.

The class quests were as linear as they get, similar to SWTOR. A Themepark characteristic.

The zones were not free at all and had multiple invisible walls. This structure was very similar to what wow had, No way can anyone call this "an open world" another CLEAR themepark trait.

The higher level dungeons required you to complete previous content in order to have access to them. Again, as linear as you can get.

The gear progression was also linear, another idea Wow took from EQ. After you do Dungeon A to complete that set you move onto dungeon B. Are you gonna argue wow isn't a themepark too?

I have seen a lot of people say stuff like "if you think EQ was a themepark, you didn't play." Well I did play, I played a lot back in the day. So I would like to  ask these  posters what qualities they think EQ had that was even remotely sandbox?

I think people have gotten to the point where they are insulted when a game they played is classified as a themepark, as if it were a dirty word. The fact is EQ was a very good game, but it was a themepark. In fact, I would argue Wow stole a lot of these concepts.

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by MMOExposed  EQ, one of the biggest PvE THEMEPARK MMOs in history

+1. some of these people need to stop making themselves look so silly.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

A big difference to me is: what happens if you ignore all the people with a '?' over their heads , and just try to go exploring?

What if I don't want to fight and kill mobs? Can I still do something?

I'm hoping the answer in EQN is yes, you can still get into adventures without following the quest givers. You could go to a zone much higher than you are, just to explore. And no, you don't have to just fight, there should be other things to do.

In Vanguard, for example, I would have fun just exploring and looking for harvesting nodes. You could find all kinds of things that are off the track. Or, do diplomacy, a mini-game with a completely different set of "quest" NPC's.

It's not a sandbox, really, but it isn't a strictly linear progression either. That's what I hope for.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Why does the term SANDBOX even exist? Because you take the sand within the box and build something, shape the landscape. In EQ there is no way you can change the world. You can't build a house, you can't chop a tree down, you really can't affect the world in any sort of permenent fashion expect in very few instances like releasing the Sleeper. Therefore EQ is NOT a sandbox game.
  • wizardszwizardsz Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by olepi

A big difference to me is: what happens if you ignore all the people with a '?' over their heads , and just try to go exploring?

What if I don't want to fight and kill mobs? Can I still do something?

I'm hoping the answer in EQN is yes, you can still get into adventures without following the quest givers. You could go to a zone much higher than you are, just to explore. And no, you don't have to just fight, there should be other things to do.

In Vanguard, for example, I would have fun just exploring and looking for harvesting nodes. You could find all kinds of things that are off the track. Or, do diplomacy, a mini-game with a completely different set of "quest" NPC's.

It's not a sandbox, really, but it isn't a strictly linear progression either. That's what I hope for.

Oh man....in EQ I didn't even know quests existed when i was a noob...i just leveled till like...20 without quests....

the magic of EQ :/

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    Why does the term SANDBOX even exist? Because you take the sand within the box and build something, shape the landscape. In EQ there is no way you can change the world. You can't build a house, you can't chop a tree down, you really can't affect the world in any sort of permenent fashion expect in very few instances like releasing the Sleeper. Therefore EQ is NOT a sandbox game.

You can certainly change how the world responds to you through their faction system though. Changing the world doesn't always have to mean physically changing the world.

Plus, no one on this thread is really fighting about EQ being a sandbox, it just wasn't a themepark either. You know, there are more colors in the world than black and white right?

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    EQ was neither a sandbox or a themepark IMO. Not all MMOs have to fit into one bucket or the other.