Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Classes and Paths

page975page975 Member Posts: 312

OK, so far you have four classes :

Warrior

Spellslinger

Stalker

Esper

Then you have this for paths :

Soldiers

Explorers

Settlers

Scientist

Now, My questions is, All 4 classes fight, why would you pick Soldier for your path ?.....So like if you go into a dungeon or what ever you need a full group for. Do all CLASSES become gimped or something and the Soldier does all the fighting ?  Then, say a Stalker thats dps is worthless because he is a Settler ?.....I don't get it !

Comments

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by page975

OK, so far you have four classes :

Warrior

Spellslinger

Stalker

Esper

Then you have this for paths :

Soldiers

Explorers

Settlers

Scientist

Now, My questions is, All 4 classes fight, why would you pick Soldier for your path ?.....So like if you go into a dungeon or what ever you need a full group for. Do all CLASSES become gimped or something and the Soldier does all the fighting ?  Then, say a Stalker thats dps is worthless because he is a Settler ?.....I don't get it !

Paths aren't necessarily tied to dungeons.  It's more personalized, somewhat solo questing content that players can do in the world based on what they like as a play style.   I'm pretty sure the perks related to Paths aren't tied into a player's performance in a dungeon/raid at all.  

And by Path quests, here's an example:

Explorer Quest:  Go find a cave path leading to Location Alpha.  Plant a beacon at that location once found.

Settler Quest:  Go build a travel station a Location Alpha.   Requires gathering supplies from nearby rebel camps.

Scientist Quest:  Study the hostile creatures at Location Alpha.  Discover why they all blow up when touched.

Soldier Quest:  Rebels are interfering with settlement plans at Location Alpha.  Clear them out with extreme prejudice!

So, there you go.  That's basically what Paths boil down to.  A play style that fits what the player wants, while still being within the same regional play as the rest of the world.  And, paths overlap as the examples above show (where all happen at Location Alpha).

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

The Paths page on the WildStar website has some pretty good videos and FAQs that explain it well

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/paths/

But Siphaed did a great job of summing it all up :)

I think the Scientist path will be a lot of fun!

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Sorry, But neither one of you summed up anything.  One gave the developers explanation of paths, and the other referred to the link of what the first guy stated :)

If all CLASSES can fight, why have a Soldier PATH !.....Maybe no one has the answer ?

• spector75spector75 Member UncommonPosts: 168

Since you want an answer you can understand and swallow in a bite sized form. Soldier path allows you to have additional missions for killing things that no other path will. Also allows you to play around with experimental weapons. aka if you REALLY like killing things go for the path that kills things. If you want some other stuff in your game play take a path that provides other things.

• eimaiegoeimaiego Member Posts: 24
    If you dont want to explore, settle or anything else you can pick the soldier path and just kill. Also Soldier path offers you some missions that shows you a different combat experience something that you wont get by picking the other paths.

ololo

Originally posted by spector75

Since you want an answer you can understand and swallow in a bite sized form. Soldier path allows you to have additional missions for killing things that no other path will. Also allows you to play around with experimental weapons. aka if you REALLY like killing things go for the path that kills things. If you want some other stuff in your game play take a path that provides other things.

Thank you,

That's what I was assuming, as it could be the only reason to have this path. Now if this is true, this path sounds somewhat boring since everyone can already fight.

Developers were stating that, often times it's helpful for groups of different paths to work together to unlock more for the overall purpose of Paths, then Soldier is the least bit important, since all Classes can fight.

Thanks for the bite sized form :).... And if anyone knows if their is anymore too it, I would really like to know.

• spector75spector75 Member UncommonPosts: 168

To touch on that question.... One has NOTHING to do with the other. Your function in a group will always be specific to class/spec. What else you bring to a team (ability to build camp fire, ability to start Public Quests, open hidden paths, convince alien species to help you thus unlocking something new) will all be determined by Path. But at no point will a Spell Slinger Soldier EVER be up front tanking over a warrior who just happens to be a settler. If you have played another MMO it would be like asking if the armorsmith is going to have to tank the fire mob with his hammer because the tank was a tailor and his cloth would burn.

Originally posted by spector75

To touch on that question.... One has NOTHING to do with the other. Your function in a group will always be specific to class/spec. What else you bring to a team (ability to build camp fire, ability to start Public Quests, open hidden paths, convince alien species to help you thus unlocking something new) will all be determined by Path. But at no point will a Spell Slinger Soldier EVER be up front tanking over a warrior who just happens to be a settler. If you have played another MMO it would be like asking if the armorsmith is going to have to tank the fire mob with his hammer because the tank was a tailor and his cloth would burn.

Well OK,

I guess all PATHS will have a small part of a puzzle in a group situation. And the soldier has one part of it that the other paths don't have......I still have to say Solders are the most boring of the paths, since all can already fight. The solder may have that cool smoke bomb or what ever, but all can fight anyway.

Then maybe now that I think about it. A Soldiers may bring more extra utilities that would be helpful to PvP type situations. Kind of like talking Engineering as a profession in WoW.  Helpful type stuff, but not really needed.

Because of the mechanics of this mmo or any other one, developers can't allow a soldier PATH to have anything overpowering to other CLASSES, as this would be an un fair advantage. Kind of like a pay-to-win cash shop.  So as I say this is the least desirable of all paths unless their are un knowns that we don't have access to yet.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Sorry, But neither one of you summed up anything.  One gave the developers explanation of paths, and the other referred to the link of what the first guy stated :)

If all CLASSES can fight, why have a Soldier PATH !.....Maybe no one has the answer ?

The paths are not an integral part of your class, they are not even an "integral" part of the game.

The paths are an ad-hoc that allows you to enhance your gaming experience based on what you prefer to do in the game.

If you like exploration then choose the explorer path  and get rewards

If you like to build stuff and see some impact on the game world choose the settler class

If you like more "complicated"/harder fights now and then choose the soldier

If you want to be an achievement whore be the scientist

• LordEbolaLordEbola Member UncommonPosts: 51

to give more of that type of content,  quest lines, mini quests,  filler content,  so if you start another class with say science it dosent seem like the same grind as the previous class